Habs Salary Cap Info and FAQ's

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

dlbalr,

do I have right that for each player currently counting on the Cap, the Habs would get a cap relief of  $1,075,000 ?

I am sure Ouellet will be waived and Mete may also be sent down if he is not playing in Montreal.

That would give a small cap margin to MB but sufficient to comply before the beginning of the season

I got that number here:http://www.colliganhockey.com/nhl-cba-how-do-buried-contracts-work/

A maximum of 1,075,000

if the player's salary is less than 1,075,000 then you only get to remove that salary. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So did Mete..when alongside Weber. Was it a bit like the Markov-effect and weaker partner being carried somewhat.

Digging into this more, I think my comments above on Perry are incorrect.  While the narrative was that Perry's waiver clock wasn't running while he was on emergency recall, I now think that's only pa

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

A maximum of 1,075,000

if the player's salary is less than 1,075,000 then you only get to remove that salary. 

Ok, so the Habs are ok since Ouellet is going to Laval 

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

They still need to dump. 

This would leave them with no 13th forward, and you always want a little room for callups. 

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

CapFriendly shows Habs at $81,853,809 for 12F, 8D and 2G

Ouellette seems likely to go down (unless Mete gets dealt) but expect they will add a 13th forward
So swap Ouellette for Evans and habs are at $81,866,309 ... leaving Habs $366,309 over the ceiling

Demoting Weal would save $1.075M but he would be replaced by another 13th forward ... say Belzile at $700K ... so Habs end up just under the cap by $38,691 (if my math is correct)

But don't expect MB to be happy with that margin, so I expect Byron to be moved and another $1M or less 4th liner added.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Ouellette seems likely to go down (unless Mete gets dealt) but expect they will add a 13th forward
So swap Ouellette for Evans and habs are at $81,866,309 ... leaving Habs $366,309 over the ceiling

Demoting Weal would save $1.075M but he would be replaced by another 13th forward ... say Belzile at $700K ... so Habs end up just under the cap by $38,691 (if my math is correct)

But don't expect MB to be happy with that margin, so I expect Byron to be moved and another $1M or less 4th liner added.

Byron is the most obvious candidate, but not the only one by any means. 

7 hours ago, GHT120 said:

If I was MB, I would keep the current roster unless a good deal on a trade comes up.

There may be injuries down the road and both Mete and Ouellet can be waived.

Mete may get picked up, but I doubt it. He would benefit from playing a lot in Laval.

6 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If I was MB, I would keep the current roster unless a good deal on a trade comes up.

There may be injuries down the road and both Mete and Ouellet can be waived.

Mete may get picked up, but I doubt it. He would benefit from playing a lot in Laval.

I was looking at what needs to be done by Game 1 of the season ... they won't start (IMO) with 12 forwards and 8 defencemen ... and they can't play Game 1 unless they are under the cap ... at a minimum they need to make a move(s) to get under the cap ... 

8 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I was looking at what needs to be done by Game 1 of the season ... they won't start (IMO) with 12 forwards and 8 defencemen ... and they can't play Game 1 unless they are under the cap ... at a minimum they need to make a move(s) to get under the cap ... 

13 forwards (keeping the waivers excempt forwards in the the AHL)

Tatar, Danault, Gallagher, Drouin, Suzuki, Toffoli, Byron, Kotkaniemi, Anderson, Lehkonen, Evans, Armia, Weal

7 defensemen (waiving Ouellet and Mete or keeping Mete and sending Romanov down for a tune-up in the the AHL to get used to North-American Hockey)
Chiarot, Weber, Edmundson, Petry, Kulak, Juulsen, Romanov or Mete)

Price and Allen

=====================

I re-calculated the Habs cap, with my suggestions and they will not be able to meet it without trading someone that makes above $1M even if tehy waive Romanov and bring Juulsen up (he has a lower salary)

image.png

Edited by alfredoh2009
calculated
  • 4 weeks later...

The Anderson contract is on the high side, but I do expect that the D grade has a lot to do with last season, which was marred by his injury (Dom doesn't publish the actual formulas for his surplus value calculations). But it's hard to see how Gallagher, as much as I love him, would be worth $6M more per year than Anderson ($17.6M + $17.7M + salary difference). Assuming that Gallagher's salary is competitive, Anderson should be playing for the league minimum, then ...

Let's see what he can do in his first season in Montreal, the grade should improve from that.

9 hours ago, tomh009 said:

The Anderson contract is on the high side, but I do expect that the D grade has a lot to do with last season, which was marred by his injury (Dom doesn't publish the actual formulas for his surplus value calculations). But it's hard to see how Gallagher, as much as I love him, would be worth $6M more per year than Anderson ($17.6M + $17.7M + salary difference). Assuming that Gallagher's salary is competitive, Anderson should be playing for the league minimum, then ...

Let's see what he can do in his first season in Montreal, the grade should improve from that.

This is explanation, if havent read already. Like you say, wait and see on Anderson and Edmundson as well. Will adding size and grit pay off?

From Dom Luszczyszyn; the Athletic

... " Brendan Gallagher is the team’s best player and one of the game’s most underrated wingers. He essentially got the Chris Kreider deal, but he’s a lot more effective than Kreider, creating a much higher likelihood of positive value. I’m a big fan and that extension, coupled with one more year at $3.75 million makes Gallagher’s contract situation one of the league’s best. To add to the good, the Tyler Toffoli signing was great given the unusual circumstances surrounding free agency and the Jeff Petry extension was decent.

Now for the bad. 

Josh Anderson has the potential to be a very good player if he’s closer to the guy he was in 2018-19. The trade for Max Domi was fine, but a seven-year extension at $5.5 million is a really tough look. That’s an overpay even if Anderson bounces back to that level and there’s a chance he doesn’t. He hasn’t played a game for the Habs yet, but it’s already one of the weaker contracts in the league.

The Joel Edmundson pact isn’t too far behind, though it’s much shorter. Edmundson projects to be worse now than Karl Alzner was when he signed with Montreal and while Ben Chiarot worked fine in Year 1, much of that was by way of being carried by Shea Weber. Maybe Petry helps Edmundson the same way, but that’s not worth the price tag and the team already had a capable defender in Brett Kulak playing that role. Edmundson likely isn’t an upgrade."

Yeah, I had read that. I still don't know how it's a "D" -- whether he has a formula or it's just his gut feel. I could see giving it a "C" maybe but the way he ranks it, Anderson is basically a write-off.

Dom definitely does not like the same player attributes as Bergevin does. Which one of them turns out to be correct remains to be seen.

33 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Yeah, I had read that. I still don't know how it's a "D" -- whether he has a formula or it's just his gut feel. I could see giving it a "C" maybe but the way he ranks it, Anderson is basically a write-off.

Dom definitely does not like the same player attributes as Bergevin does. Which one of them turns out to be correct remains to be seen.

There is a formula of advanced stats. 

Dom is a huge numbers guy. 

NHL Front Office poll; The Athletic, Mr. Luszczyszyn 

Habs ranked 14th

"The overall vision still seems a bit average and there are questions about the team’s draft record, but slowly and surely there’s a strong team being built thanks to savvy cap management. Whether it’ll be an elite contender remains to be seen, but the overall group does look playoff calibre and that’s reason enough for optimism. The team’s playoff run did a lot to inspire some of that confidence too."

Easy summery to agree with.

Still think Elite status will not happen until Habs add/develop at least 1 all star quality (NHL Elite) forward.

St Louis was only recent cup winner without an elite forward or two, unless Tarasenko & 77point Selke and Conn Smythe winner O'Reilly would fit.

4 hours ago, DON said:

NHL Front Office poll; The Athletic, Mr. Luszczyszyn 

Habs ranked 14th

"The overall vision still seems a bit average and there are questions about the team’s draft record, but slowly and surely there’s a strong team being built thanks to savvy cap management. Whether it’ll be an elite contender remains to be seen, but the overall group does look playoff calibre and that’s reason enough for optimism. The team’s playoff run did a lot to inspire some of that confidence too."

Easy summery to agree with.

Still think Elite status will not happen until Habs add/develop at least 1 all star quality (NHL Elite) forward.

St Louis was only recent cup winner without an elite forward or two, unless Tarasenko & 77point Selke and Conn Smythe winner O'Reilly would fit.

Agree with your comments and with what the Athletic said. A lot depends on how Suzuki/KK develop up the middle and whether Romanov develops into a top 4 defenceman.  If those things happen then the Habs can be a force. If a healthy Tarasenko is not elite then he is pretty darn close. The guy can score. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

A ppg centre with selke defence is also someone id call elite.

I have to admit Oreilly is better than i thought he was in Buffalo

I hope Edmundson turns out to be better with the Habs than he was with the 'Canes

55 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I hope Edmundson turns out to be better with the Habs than he was with the 'Canes

Chiarot did turn out significantly better than the naysayers thought.

15 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Chiarot did turn out significantly better than the naysayers thought.

So did Mete..when alongside Weber. Was it a bit like the Markov-effect and weaker partner being carried somewhat.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, DON said:

As always happens: any player's performance will be improved by stronger linemates or a stronger defensive partner. Even Crosby's or McDavid's.

6 hours ago, DON said:

Mete didn’t look good next to Weber, supported by the fact it didn’t last and Mete now finds himself on the fringe of losing a roster spot. I’d say he looked like a passable NHLer with Weber, borderline without. Not good though. 
Regarding Edmundson, it is pretty well documented that the habs d style is more conducive to his playing. Zone vs man coverage.

this works well with elite goaltending. Maximize our best player (Price) with Dmen who box out, make em pay if they want to penetrate the slot/crease.  
back to why Mete is on fringe:
Mete cannot do that. Kulak, Fleury, Juulsen can do so better. Assuming Romanov sticks, I just don’t see a role for Mete.

it’s been reported: Edmundson will get to go with Petry. So, Romanov and someone make up The third pairing.  I don’t see Mete having the coaches  trust to be playing with Romanov in that slot. Think they will want some sort of stabilizing partner who also protects the number one asset. Does that exist? Maybe that is Mete, but I’d go with Kulak or Juulssen .

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

As always happens: any player's performance will be improved by stronger linemates or a stronger defensive partner. Even Crosby's or McDavid's.

Very true, especially with defenceman. It reminds me of when Mike Komisarek played with the Habs. He was very effective when paired with Markov as Markov looked after moving the puck and it made Mike's job pretty simple. Then he signed with the Leaf's for big money and tried to do too much and he was completely lost. The right pairing for a defenceman makes a big difference. 

14 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

Mete didn’t look good next to Weber, supported by the fact it didn’t last and Mete now finds himself on the fringe of losing a roster spot. I’d say he looked like a passable NHLer with Weber, borderline without. Not good though. 

I agree ... but the "Weber-time" was in the garbage-fire 17/18 season when we were all looking for positives ... Niemi even looked good and Lindgren was treated like his Sv% was .928 not .908.

17 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

... it’s been reported: Edmundson will get to go with Petry. So, Romanov and someone make up The third pairing.  I don’t see Mete having the coaches  trust to be playing with Romanov in that slot. Think they will want some sort of stabilizing partner who also protects the number one asset. Does that exist? Maybe that is Mete, but I’d go with Kulak or Juulssen. 

I would at least start the season with Kulak still beside Petry and Edmundson as the stabilizing force beside Romanov ... Joel could also get regular PK time

• 2 weeks later...

From Habs twitter:

Jake Evans has been loaned to the taxi squad. Players loaned to the taxi squad this season are eligible to travel and practice with the full team, but do not count against the salary cap. Evans is expected to be made available for the game on Saturday in Edmonton