Sign in to follow this  
dlbalr

Habs Salary Cap Info and FAQ's

19 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Am I right for understanding that should Weber retire early, he’ll count for 3,3,4,4,6,8,12 and TWENTY-FIVE MILLIONS on the Pred’s cap ?!?!?!?!?!

The recapture penalty goes up every year. If he retires this year then the penalty is 3 million for the rest of the contract. If he retires with 2 years left it's 12 million for 2 years. If he retires in the final year of his contract it would cost Nashville 25 million for 1 year.

Edit: Brian has more accurate numbers than me. And a kinder heart. Not to mention a body that just doesn't quit.

5 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Oh I know. But once the doctors says he’s not injured anymore...

I don’t believe insurance companies would keep paying a player who refuses to get a surgery and completely heal. 

Looking at Shea Weber, I don't think he's one to sit at home if the Doctors say he's not injured anymore, but thats just my opinion. 

5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Not quite.  The amount depends on which year he retires.  While it won't happen, let's say he retires after this season.  Nashville would be charged $4.095M each year through 2025-26 (Montreal would be charged just under $762K per season).  If he retires after 2022-23, it's $8.19M per year through 2025-26 (nothing for the Habs by then).  And if he retired with one year left, they'd have the $24.57M charge.

Or if the Habs buy out his contract at that point, right?

8 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

If he retires, the Habs don't have to buy out anything (nor could they).

He'd be completely off our books.

He gets no money, and Nashville gets the cap hits... but that said, again I think if he really wants to retire, Nashville would trade for him, and then his ankle would be really bad, or he'd have some skin condition like Hossa or his back would be sore like Clarkson.

49 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

If the Habs bought out his contract, they'd be left with a buyout cap hit.  Unless he falls off a cliff entirely over the next few years, a buyout isn't likely.