Habs Salary Cap Info and FAQ's

21 minutes ago, DON said:

From Habs twitter:

Jake Evans has been loaned to the taxi squad. Players loaned to the taxi squad this season are eligible to travel and practice with the full team, but do not count against the salary cap. Evans is expected to be made available for the game on Saturday in Edmonton

And the cap manipulations begin ... not great for Evans but it is what MB has to do

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So did Mete..when alongside Weber. Was it a bit like the Markov-effect and weaker partner being carried somewhat.

Digging into this more, I think my comments above on Perry are incorrect.  While the narrative was that Perry's waiver clock wasn't running while he was on emergency recall, I now think that's only pa

I had a few minutes this morning so I put together a quick piece on Montreal's bonus overage situation and how it could affect their deadline plans: https://www.habsworld.net/2021/04/montreals-bonus-s

Posted Images

Are the Habs going to have enough cap space to keep Cory Perry up when his 10 game/1 month of waivers exemption ends?  Will they put him on waivers - seems like he would be snapped up.

9 hours ago, Peter Puck said:

Are the Habs going to have enough cap space to keep Cory Perry up when his 10 game/1 month of waivers exemption ends?  Will they put him on waivers - seems like he would be snapped up.

I am going to guess yes ... Perry was added as a 13th forward ... nobody came off the roster ...  so he is already under the cap

As for waivers, I believe it is 10 games or a cumulative 30 days on the roster ... wonder if Perry has been "moved" to the taxi squad on off days to store up those days?  But regardless, think he was always intended to the the 13th forward ... not certain if/how/when the 10game/30day waiver exemption re-sets ... 

13 hours ago, Peter Puck said:

Yes, they have enough space banked that they can do that if they need to.  If they do that though, they'll basically be capped out with anything left needing to go to bonus carryover.  As much as Perry has done well so far, it'd be great if he can make it back to the taxi squad once Armia is back.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

As for waivers, I believe it is 10 games or a cumulative 30 days on the roster ... wonder if Perry has been "moved" to the taxi squad on off days to store up those days?  But regardless, think he was always intended to the the 13th forward ... not certain if/how/when the 10game/30day waiver exemption re-sets ... 

Perry's good to go waiver-wise until he plays in 10 games while on emergency recall.  It's also important to note that he is on one of those, not a regular recall which carries another 10/30 threshold.  (I touched on this a bit in the last Habs Weekly post.)  As for whether or not he has been sent down, Perry has only been on the active roster on the game days in which he has played.  While not announced by the team, he was sent down between each game.

44 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Yes, they have enough space banked that they can do that if they need to.  If they do that though, they'll basically be capped out with anything left needing to go to bonus carryover.  As much as Perry has done well so far, it'd be great if he can make it back to the taxi squad once Armia is back.

Perry's good to go waiver-wise until he plays in 10 games while on emergency recall.  It's also important to note that he is on one of those, not a regular recall which carries another 10/30 threshold.  (I touched on this a bit in the last Habs Weekly post.)  As for whether or not he has been sent down, Perry has only been on the active roster on the game days in which he has played.  While not announced by the team, he was sent down between each game.

so that could be 18 games with waivers exemption for Perry ?

4 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

so that could be 18 games with waivers exemption for Perry ?

Depending on the timing of Armia's return, I believe that would be possible.

• 3 weeks later...

Digging into this more, I think my comments above on Perry are incorrect.  While the narrative was that Perry's waiver clock wasn't running while he was on emergency recall, I now think that's only partially true.  The 30-day window wasn't ticking on days he was up on e-recall but the 10 games are cumulative between regular and emergency recalls. 

If that's the case, that means Perry has to go through waivers as soon as he plays his next game.  That would seemingly support the timing of Byron's waiving; they'll lock Perry onto the roster and will now use Byron to go back and forth to save cap space for the time being (and they can start the process again if/when Byron hits 10 games).  If that happens, they'll likely also resume sending the waiver-exempt players back to the taxi squad on a rotating basis.

• Upvote 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 7:28 PM, dlbalr said:

Digging into this more, I think my comments above on Perry are incorrect.  While the narrative was that Perry's waiver clock wasn't running while he was on emergency recall, I now think that's only partially true.  The 30-day window wasn't ticking on days he was up on e-recall but the 10 games are cumulative between regular and emergency recalls. 

If that's the case, that means Perry has to go through waivers as soon as he plays his next game.  That would seemingly support the timing of Byron's waiving; they'll lock Perry onto the roster and will now use Byron to go back and forth to save cap space for the time being (and they can start the process again if/when Byron hits 10 games).  If that happens, they'll likely also resume sending the waiver-exempt players back to the taxi squad on a rotating basis.

You were bang on on this, and not Byron has cleared again.

Can Byron be sent up and down until he plays 10 games before requiring waivers again?

17 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Can Byron be sent up and down until he plays 10 games before requiring waivers again?

Now that Byron has cleared again, his clock resets with the first game being yesterday's.

7 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Now that Byron has cleared again, his clock resets with the first game being yesterday's.

Sent down, cleared,

up/down, up/down, up/down, up/down, up/down, up/down, up/down, up/down, up/down, up/down,

Sent down, cleared,

Top 30 Buster Keaton Goat GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

42 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

10 games or 30 days on the roster..  whichever comes first.

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I had a few minutes this morning so I put together a quick piece on Montreal's bonus overage situation and how it could affect their deadline plans: https://www.habsworld.net/2021/04/montreals-bonus-situation/

Although it isn’t completely necessary, the smart move would be to trade someone if that is possible. 

Something bigger that brings us that LD is a trade I want. Paying someone to take Byron is not something want. 

Perhaps Lehkonen or Mete would garner genuine interest? 

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

... Paying someone to take Byron is not something want ...

The challenge is that Byron remains a problem next year and the year after, assuming Habs don't go back into re-tool mode ... the one team I could see having a role for Byron is Detroit ... their veteran forwards are pending UFAs and most are no more than mid-20s ... PB could fill a leadership role for them as they rebuild ... it wouldn't be cheap but he should be moved at some point

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

... Something bigger that brings us that LD is a trade I want ...

That would be ideal ... slide ??? in beside Weber and Edmundson can move down to 3rd pairing RHD allowing  Romanov to stay on the left-side, where DD apparently prefers him ... meaning Chiarot is the 7D, unless he is included in the trade, for cap purposes more than hockey trade value

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I had a few minutes this morning so I put together a quick piece on Montreal's bonus overage situation and how it could affect their deadline plans: https://www.habsworld.net/2021/04/montreals-bonus-situation/

Thanks for posting that, it is really helpful.

Can you elaborate on this:

"As a result, the Habs already appear to be heading towards a bonus overage penalty for next season which, with all of the players they need to re-sign and a flat salary cap, is hardly ideal. "

Does it mean that they can choose to pay a penalty next season if they are over? Or does it mean that they need to cut expenses this season no matter what?

7 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The challenge is that Byron remains a problem next year and the year after, assuming Habs don't go back into re-tool mode ... the one team I could see having a role for Byron is Detroit ... their veteran forwards are pending UFAs and most are no more than mid-20s ... PB could fill a leadership role for them as they rebuild ... it wouldn't be cheap but he should be moved at some point

That is a big drop from thinking the Habs may be goin ginto a Stanley cup run, isn't it?

I think the Habs will stay the course with the roster they have, I just don;t see how they can clear salary cap space to make any trade work.

Getting Chiarot back and in good health is the est bet they have at improving their D

Just now, alfredoh2009 said:

That is a big drop from thinking the Habs may be goin ginto a Stanley cup run, isn't it?

I think the Habs will stay the course with the roster they have, I just don;t see how they can clear salary cap space to make any trade work.

Getting Chiarot back and in good health is the est bet they have at improving their D

I was just emphasizing that Byron's contract remains a problem going forward ... and the only way it doesn't if if MB reverses course next season and goes back to re-tool ... I was neither predicting or supporting such a move.

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I was just emphasizing that Byron's contract remains a problem going forward ... and the only way it doesn't if if MB reverses course next season and goes back to re-tool ... I was neither predicting or supporting such a move.

Hard to comment on hypoteticals that you say later you are not predicting or supporting. Why mentioning them then? 

I am curious because sometimes I would like to explore these ideas on the forum

34 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Can you elaborate on this:

"As a result, the Habs already appear to be heading towards a bonus overage penalty for next season which, with all of the players they need to re-sign and a flat salary cap, is hardly ideal. "

Does it mean that they can choose to pay a penalty next season if they are over? Or does it mean that they need to cut expenses this season no matter what?

It means they have to pay a bonus overage penalty if they wind up going over the cap due to the bonuses being reached.  They're allowed to go over that way (that's the bonus cushion) but if they do, their allowable spending next year is reduced by how much they go over this year.

24 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It means they have to pay a bonus overage penalty if they wind up going over the cap due to the bonuses being reached.  They're allowed to go over that way (that's the bonus cushion) but if they do, their allowable spending next year is reduced by how much they go over this year.

thanks

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I agree a d I’d say that we can’t really make a significant upgrade on D without trading Byron and one other player like an Armia, Lekhonan or Chariot. At this point if a 3rd round puck and a lessor prospect gets rid of Byron in return for a late round pick, I think you have to free up the cap space if you any to add to the D.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I agree a d I’d say that we can’t really make a significant upgrade on D without trading Byron and one other player like an Armia, Lekhonan or Chariot. At this point if a 3rd round puck and a lessor prospect gets rid of Byron in return for a late round pick, I think you have to free up the cap space if you any to add to the D.

Yeah I agree that if we do make the LD trade it is very likely that we pay to offload Byron. I wouldn’t have a problem with this. 

I don’t want to pay to move Byron just for cap space though, it seems like a waste. 

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I suggested on the Athletic trade thread Byron and a 2nd and a 3rd for John Merril ( the 3rd for the rental and the 2nd for taking Byron’s salary) which would provide veteran NHL depth for the playoffs and salary cap relief for now and the next two years. 

31 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Yeah I agree that if we do make the LD trade it is very likely that we pay to offload Byron. I wouldn’t have a problem with this. 

I don’t want to pay to move Byron just for cap space though, it seems like a waste. 

It’s not a waste though. Cap space is a valuable asset and having more of it allows us to avoid losing players that we want to keep. Eg., if Benning was better at cap management-or had better advisors— the Canucks would still have Tofolli. Also, we now have so many picks and players in the pipeline that we can afford to move picks. That was absolutely not the case until very recently.