Habs fans, mobilize!

ForumGhost

The whole voting process needs to change. There is no reason Koivu, KOvalev and Tanguay should be ahead of any of Malkin, Crosby, Semin or Ovechkin. If I was Koivu, Kovalev, Tanguay, Komisarek or even Price and the only reason I was voted to the Allstar game was because of stuffing I would respectively decline to go and be mightly embarrased. Its just not right.

Hopefully the process changes for next year and most likely the winds of change are already in motion

I agree. However I might also add that the entire All-Star game is a giant embarassment anyway. It has virtually nothing to do with hockey - certainly, there's little to no hockey played during the game.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colin, I whole heartedly agree. I cannot remember the last time I actually sat down to watch the start of the NHL All-Star game. It may have been the last time they played it in Montreal. The event is simply a public relations show, and the city benefits from additional media coverage as well as some additional tourism. The hockey game is secondary to the event.

I will probably watch the start of this year's game, but I doubt it will hold my interest long enough to see the ending.

I agree. However I might also add that the entire All-Star game is a giant embarassment anyway. It has virtually nothing to do with hockey - certainly, there's little to no hockey played during the game.

Colin, I whole heartedly agree. I cannot remember the last time I actually sat down to watch the start of the NHL All-Star game. It may have been the last time they played it in Montreal. The event is simply a public relations show, and the city benefits from additional media coverage as well as some additional tourism. The hockey game is secondary to the event.

I will probably watch the start of this year's game, but I doubt it will hold my interest long enough to see the ending.

I agree fully, however, let's get back to vote stuffing and get rid of the likes of Whitney for christ sakes! I could name so many top d-men over him! Talk about stupid fan voting! Ryan Whtiney 1st all-star! For what?

Here's a thought: why doesn't everyone REMOVE their votes completely. It would be just our luck that we vote in all these guys and get injuries. I'd rather they take the weekend to rest and recouperate all the little bangs and bruises they have rather than take the chance of some freak injury while playing the worst shinny on the planet.

Here's a thought: why doesn't everyone REMOVE their votes completely. It would be just our luck that we vote in all these guys and get injuries. I'd rather they take the weekend to rest and recouperate all the little bangs and bruises they have rather than take the chance of some freak injury while playing the worst shinny on the planet.

Who's to say that during that day off, Komo doesn't fall down a flight of stairs breaking a leg, while Kovalev is struck down by a truck!!

It is a lazy man that spends his days not living life due to chance of injury. Fate is fate, can't be changed by nature. If one of these guys is suppose to get hurt he will. No I am not a Christian! I believe in fate though, but not God.

Also as for the worst shinny on the planet, I beg to differ. It is the best shinny game on the planet, however, shinny is fun to play and crap to watch. Sort of like baseball or soccer. Come to think of it, soccer isn't even fun to play and same goes for baseball if there is no beer in the dugout!

What's so bad about having an All-habs starting line-up? Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin will all still be in the game, they just won't take the opening faceoff. Starting off the 2009 All-Star Game in Montreal, on the team's 100th anniversary, with an opening roster of Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev-Markov-Komisarek-Price before an arena of screaming fans sounds great to me. Why should Tanguay be ashamed to be on the All-Star roster? He deserve to be there.

The whole point of fan voting is that the teams with the most rabid fanbases get rewarded. Tons of Habs fans have been voting dozens of times just to get our players on the opening roster and the league should interfere? It makes no sense. Having the Habs make it will probably make for the best - and only interesting - All-Star Game moment in years.

What's so bad about having an All-habs starting line-up? Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin will all still be in the game, they just won't take the opening faceoff. Starting off the 2009 All-Star Game in Montreal, on the team's 100th anniversary, with an opening roster of Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev-Markov-Komisarek-Price before an arena of screaming fans sounds great to me. Why should Tanguay be ashamed to be on the All-Star roster? He deserve to be there.

I agree that it would have been a very interesting moment, however Tanguay - based on performance alone - doesn't deserve to be there. I can easily find 8 wingers that are much more deserving to represent to East.

I agree that it would have been a very interesting moment, however Tanguay - based on performance alone - doesn't deserve to be there. I can easily find 8 wingers that are much more deserving to represent to East.

Okay, maybe he only arguably deserves to be there. But if he gets named to the team, I don't think anybody would argue that he has no business being there. Who would your 8 wingers be? I definitely think Tanguay should be in the mix. Kovalchuk, Vanek, Heatley, Ovechkin, Alfredsson, St Louis, Semin and Gagne are probably the top 8 but Tanguay, Elias, Stillman (not sure how he's doing but Florida will probably wind up sending someone) are in the next class. It's usually pretty unlikely that the entire selected team goes to the Game so Tanguay is a definite possibility.

Okay, maybe he only arguably deserves to be there. But if he gets named to the team, I don't think anybody would argue that he has no business being there. Who would your 8 wingers be? I definitely think Tanguay should be in the mix. Kovalchuk, Vanek, Heatley, Ovechkin, Alfredsson, St Louis, Semin and Gagne are probably the top 8 but Tanguay, Elias, Stillman (not sure how he's doing but Florida will probably wind up sending someone) are in the next class. It's usually pretty unlikely that the entire selected team goes to the Game so Tanguay is a definite possibility.

Actually my top 8 wingers would be:

Alexander Ovechkin

Simon Gagne

Thomas Vanek

Dany Heatley

Ilya Kovalchuk

Daniel Alfredsson

Zach Parise

Alexander Semin

Which unfortunately leaves out Phil Kessel who I think also really deserves to be there, in addition to exposing a young star, which is always good for the NHL and its fans.

The only change you made was St Louis for Parise.

I was counting Kessel as a centre and Parise too. I wasn't sure about Parise but I guessed he was a C.

The whole point of fan voting is not only for a teams rabid fanbase to stuff ballot boxes for their favourite players, but to vote for any player whom they deem worthy of Allstar consideration. Whether it is the team they vote for or not. If you wanted to assume that, then you can assume that Pittsburgh fans are are way more Rabid than Habs fans, cause Crosby is kicking everybodies ass.

But I doubt that. I just think hockey fans are voting for who they believe deserves allstar consideration

Don't look know but Malkin has passed Koivu, Kovalev and Tanguay.....and Fleury is only 70,000 votes behind Price.....

Guess Habs fans don't have much Stamina

nah they have better bots to do the voting.

So it looks like only one Hab forward will make the starting lineup (and will be the only forward named I'm sure since the league won't want to name any other Habs given the way the rest of the balloting is going currently.)

It bugs me to see Kovalev continuing to pull away from Koivu (after Saku caught him albeit for a brief time). Here presents an opportunity for Koivu to (likely) get a chance to captain the All-Star team in front of a hometown crowd, and yet more Hab fans are voting for a player who just scored his first goal in 20 games. Since the voting has become solely a popularity vote and not based on stats, I'd really like to see Koivu catch Kovalev. One's been the heart and soul of the team for a decade, the other...just scored his first goal in 20 games (sense a theme here anyone?) In my opinion, if any Montreal forward deserves to be there (and that can be debated), it should be Koivu.

Just my 2¢.

If the NHL bothers to remove all the fake Pittsburgh votes, Montreal will probably regain the entire starting roster. But to maintain the credibility (if there's any left) of the All-Star Game, I bet they won't.

If the NHL bothers to remove all the fake Pittsburgh votes, Montreal will probably regain the entire starting roster. But to maintain the credibility (if there's any left) of the All-Star Game, I bet they won't.

Well, they may have left the PIT ones in, but they just deleted a ton of Anaheim ones (Giguere was over 500,000 yesterday, now well under 400,000). Getzlaf went from being the leader to 4th or 5th place.

It bugs me to see Kovalev continuing to pull away from Koivu (after Saku caught him albeit for a brief time). Here presents an opportunity for Koivu to (likely) get a chance to captain the All-Star team in front of a hometown crowd, and yet more habs fans are voting for a player who just scored his first goal in 20 games. Since the voting has become solely a popularity vote and not based on stats, I'd really like to see Koivu catch Kovalev. One's been the heart and soul of the team for a decade, the other...just scored his first goal in 20 games (sense a theme here anyone?) In my opinion, if any Montreal forward deserves to be there (and that can be debated), it should be Koivu.

Just my 2¢.

:clap:

If it were up to me I'd pick Koivu, Tanguay, Kovy, Komi, Marky, and Price.

But realistically, it should be Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Chara, Marky, Thomas/Price/Lundquist.

I love the idea of Koivu wearing the "C"

Komi and Markov are a lock to make the starting line up. So no matter what, we will probably have 3 starters in the game. I think one of the reasons that Kovy has started to pull away from Koivu was the fact that Koivu got hurt and people don't really know if he's coming back on time to play in the game.

Komi and Markov are a lock to make the starting line up. So no matter what, we will probably have 3 starters in the game. I think one of the reasons that Kovy has started to pull away from Koivu was the fact that Koivu got hurt and people don't really know if he's coming back on time to play in the game.

This is a given --> league rules stipulate that to be on the team you must have played a minimum of 20 games (Whitney & Gonchar aren't even close).....if Chara miraculously catches up to either K and/or M, then I'm putting a bounty on Bettman's head!!!

Fleury needs to play in only 2 more games (out of 4) before Jan. 2 to be eligible ......so it looks like Price will have a battle; but even if he loses out to MAF, aside from Thomas (who is a lock IMO), nobody in the east has the stats that CP has.

Edited by SoCalHab

This is a given --> league rules stipulate that to be on the team you must have played a minimum of 20 games (Whitney & Gonchar aren't even close).....if Chara miraculously catches up to either K and/or M, then I'm putting a bounty on Bettman's head!!!

Fleury needs to play in only 2 more games (out of 4) before Jan. 2 to be eligible ......so it looks like Price will have a battle; but even if he loses out to MAF, aside from Thomas (who is a lock IMO), nobody in the east has the stats that CP has.

Actually there's also Mike Smith in Tampa Bay who could end up being the Lighting's lone representative. Statistically he's having a great season, and no one else on that team deserves to make the All-Star team this season (although Lecavalier might be selected based on reputation). Henrik Lundqvist is also having a very strong season while leading the East for most wins. Like Lecavalier he also has an All-Star reputation, and besides perhaps Zherdev no one else in New York deserves to be an All-Star.

If the Canadiens have both Markov and Komisarek on the starting roster - and perhaps even Kovalev - and if Fleury beats Carey Price for the starting goaltender position, then I think Price can forget about becoming an All-Star this year.

Ugh, you wanna know what's the most embarrassing thing about this whole voting nonsense? The way the league handles it. The are acting like it's perfectly legit and boasting how Crosby beat Jagr's record. Like, isn't it obvious the whole thing has been broken since day 1? Who are they trying to fool?