Habs vs. Lightning | Game Thread

Fanpuck33

I am glad I am old enough to remember the glory years of winning and players caring about wins.

My thoughts: If you have to rely on officials to win a game, the team sucks. Great teams win the 5 on 5 battles and finish scoring chances by hitting the net. There are three highly paid players that will be free agents I hope will never wear a Habs jersey again after this year. They do not earn their paycheque and just...............suck....................... :puke:

Absolute truth, highly paid players were becoming, and are now, a huge liability to the team. Hope things change! Kovalev and Markov should feel ashamed of their performance. I bet if it was the Oympics, playing for their beloved country, they'd perform too their potential!

Too many Habs playing without pride, just wanting to receive a paycheque. Yet we pay money to watch them play so poorly, go figure.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had Latendresse taken that penalty, he would be scratched on saturday.

Yeah, but Latendresse is useless...so you really can't compare.

Nobody played verywell, but the forwards that stood out to be contributing nothing during that game were Latendresse and Sergie K. On the back end, Markov was shaky at times. O'Byrne wasn't terrible, but what a waste of bone and flesh he is: for the way he plays, he might as well be 5'6" and 160lbs.

Very disappointing game....the Bell centre was quiet as a tomb, and for good reason.

Yeah, but Latendresse is useless...so you really can't compare.

Nobody played verywell, but the forwards that stood out to be contributing nothing during that game were Latendresse and Sergie K. On the back end, Markov was shaky at times. O'Byrne wasn't terrible, but what a waste of bone and flesh he is: for the way he plays, he might as well be 5'6" and 160lbs.

Very disappointing game....the Bell centre was quiet as a tomb, and for good reason.

when Kovalev is playing like the selfish little bitch he can be, he's not helping much either. the point I'm trying to make is that Kovalev repeatedly doing the same thing and gets a free pass every time.

lets say for example that Carbonneau takes exception on saturday and decides that Kovy doesnt see any PP and plays under 10 mins...you may lose a game but you're making a hell of a statement to the rest of the team.

For a guy that needs to play with passion after being scratched for few games, I don't think latendresse did anything to stayin the lineup. Now, thanks to Koivu, he may get another chance this week end.

when Kovalev is playing like the selfish little bitch he can be, he's not helping much either. the point I'm trying to make is that Kovalev repeatedly doing the same thing and gets a free pass every time.

lets say for example that Carbonneau takes exception on saturday and decides that Kovy doesnt see any PP and plays under 10 mins...you may lose a game but you're making a hell of a statement to the rest of the team.

For a guy that needs to play with passion after being scratched for few games, I don't think latendresse did anything to stayin the lineup. Now, thanks to Koivu, he may get another chance this week end.

Kovalev gets a little more slack on the leash from the coach the same way that Saku 'Captain Hook' Koivu does when he goes through one of his spells. Winning games is more important to the coach than sending a message to the team, obviously.

Edited by sbhatt

Kovy looked great until the third, then he tried doing everything himself. I don't know which game you guys were watching. He is snake bit for scoring. He's always played like that, it just went in the net more, and he didn't try to do it all himself. That's how he played for the first two periods. \\The whole team needs to learn to play against the trap better. Tampa played the trap very patiently. The way to break the trap is with speed and short passes. Puck support. Not trying to dangle through 5 guys, or pass through 5 guys. That is Kovy's weakness, but we all love him when it works.

Kovy looked great until the third, then he tried doing everything himself. I don't know which game you guys were watching. He is snake bit for scoring. He's always played like that, it just went in the net more, and he didn't try to do it all himself. That's how he played for the first two periods. \\The whole team needs to learn to play against the trap better. Tampa played the trap very patiently. The way to break the trap is with speed and short passes. Puck support. Not trying to dangle through 5 guys, or pass through 5 guys. That is Kovy's weakness, but we all love him when it works.

I though he was one of the better Habs too...I was just referring to the penalty at the end.

I thought Kovy was one of the best Habs tonite. Obviously it looks bad when he turns the puck over trying to create something, but he has been creating chances for his mates. He even played a little physical tonite. But when the Habs lose, he will always be one of the scapegoats.

It doesn't happen often but Markov was the main reason why the habs lost last night.

HE was on the ice for evey Tampa goal and he was dry in key power plays.

The key power plays were the one at the end of the 1st and and the 2 power plays before the

St-Louis goal in the second period.

Reason i blame Markov is that he is the main man on the power to bring up the puck.

Also Halak vs Kolzig...interesting because first Kolzig was a free agent last summer and was an

option for Gainey.

Question is who would you feel more confortable to send in a key game betwwen Halak and Kolzig if

Price was hurt ??? Espacially in playoffs ??

After Kolzig show last night and the fact that his team play ahead of him has been horrible this year

i have to say that stats don't tell all and there is still gas in the tank.

He has been Price mentor and would bring experience and leadership.

Markov the main reason they lost? KNOW ONE showed up. They played a solid 5 minutes of hockey. Rather then picking on one guy pehaps people should say why didn't anyone show up. This is the difference between good teams and great teams. They played the worst team in hockey and were frankly dominated. Unaccepatable.

The habs down 2-1 in the first, there response is to quit. Philly down 5-1 in the third, they win. That's why teams fail in the playoffs and others are successfull, pride, work ethic and never giving up. I agree with alot of posters on that one. I have said this for years about numerous players just skating around, doing nothing then getting a check.

I didn't notice anything on Koivu, was he hurt?

I'm sure Gc will have to yell and scream at them again to get them going. I totally agree with other posters about benching some vets and sending a statement. Benching 21 year olds doesn't send a message.

Is it just me or did this team slow down emensley from last year?

I'm sorry Kolzig? His GAA average is close to 5. I'll take Halak. The habs have a way of making golaies look good by shooting at the logo.

They're all a bunch of IDIOTS!!! ALL of them!

To lose to a team that was just begging to get beat up is unacceptable and pathetic!

I hope Carbo makes them suffer at practice today! Idiots, all of them!

Edited by Habsfan

They're all a bunch of IDIOTS!!! ALL of them!

To lose to a team that was just begging to get beat up is unacceptable and pathetic!

I hope Carbo makes them suffer at practice today! Idiots, all of them!

dude, it was one game. Now they have had some bad games this season - a pretty bad stretch last month, but this is one game in an 82 game season. One game after a pretty nice series of games over the last week or two.

dude, it was one game. Now they have had some bad games this season - a pretty bad stretch last month, but this is one game in an 82 game season. One game after a pretty nice series of games over the last week or two.

Oops, sorry my mistake.

Yeah, i know it was just one game, but it was one game against the WORST team in the league! That's what I find so frustrating!

I only saw the first period last night, so I can't comment on the rest of the game. I can understand when refs let certain things go, but why was nothing done to Lecavalier last night after he slashed, then shoved his stick into the midsection of Plekanec before a faceoff? It wasn't a butt-ended spear or anything but still.

Calm down it is just a game and when you face Lecavalierm St-Louis and underestimate themit's gonna

blow to your face.

Defense did not shut them down and Markov had a bad game, it happens but we can say it when Markov

has a bad game.

Now it's how they bounce back.

Price is right now the leader on the ice.

We all see the weaknesses of this team,even when Higgins is out their still soft, get out some softness and

bring some warriors. To me Kolzig is one, Shanahan is one and Schneider is another one.

Oops, sorry my mistake.

Yeah, i know it was just one game, but it was one game against the WORST team in the league! That's what I find so frustrating!

Yes, but the wrong kind of worst team. I hate to quote myself, but before the game I mentioned that although the Lightning are fundamentally flawed, they have some of the top talent in the NHL (St. Louis & Lecavalier) who on any given night can blow up a goalie. This is not like playing a team like the Blues whose cupboard is truly is bear.

Yes, but the wrong kind of worst team. I hate to quote myself, but before the game I mentioned that although the Lightning are fundamentally flawed, they have some of the top talent in the NHL (St. Louis & Lecavalier) who on any given night can blow up a goalie. This is not like playing a team like the Blues whose cupboard is truly is bear.

I know,what you mean. I was frustrated and i needed to vent! ;)

Edited by Habsfan

Was at the game last night; and I have to say that Kovalev/Lang/Tanguay line for the most part was good. It's a shame that Plex didn't score on that spin o rama move. The powerplay continued to struggle because it is all perimeter attack...somebody's gotta get their feet dirty and battle in the trenches in front of the crease. Hamrlik...I question where his head is sometimes. On the PP he shot a puck that was probably 60km/h at Kolzig who could see it point blank; and not only that, it was about 3.5 feet off the ice right at his crest. Markov was terrible, Latendresse and S.Kost should be back in the pressbox; neither deserve to play. I agree with everybody on here who vents. NO it is not just ONE game. That ONE game could be the difference of us making the playoffs and missing it. Why don't you guys look at it that way? Now with Koivu speculated to be out for 8 weeks..they really have to build some character. Losing games like this are inexcusable! You face a bottom feeding team that is coming off back-to-back nights of playing and has lost 9 straight. On a side note, shame on a majority of the fans who were in the reds last night. They are becoming just as bad (if not worse) than leafs fans (Showing up 15 minutes-1 period late). Secondly, that was by far the quietest i've ever heard the Bell centre...the intro song by the Killers is too mellow IMO. In conclusion, when you pay money to see your favourite team, you hope for good hockey. Last night felt like I paid top dollar to watch the Cincinatti Cyclones (Because they played worse than an AHL team last night)

At least the score was close. If the Habs actually had some designed plays (Other than watching Kovalev give the puck away consistantly) this team would be in a much better position to destroy lower teams like NYI. I still blame coaching or lack of coaching as these guys design nothing offensively for the players to execute.

QUOTE (InsaneHABSfan @ Dec 11 2008, 10:00 PM)

I am glad I am old enough to remember the glory years of winning and players caring about wins.

My thoughts: If you have to rely on officials to win a game, the team sucks. Great teams win the 5 on 5 battles and finish scoring chances by hitting the net. There are three highly paid players that will be free agents I hope will never wear a Habs jersey again after this year. They do not earn their paycheque and just...............suck.......................

If you're reffering to Kovalev i agree with you but if Koivu is one of those players that you're thinking of then you're absolutely wrong! Koivu is the heart and soul of the habs and without him habs are close to nothing (see playoffs vs Canes). And about the game...it was horrible kovalev sucks, lats sucks bad goals, hard to watch this team play like shit!! They beat Calgary and detroit but lose to Tampa and NYI WTF is that!! :angry:

I think I'm abandoning these game theads. The hysteria and bitterness every time we lose is just over the top.

That's just Habs fans for you. We (including myself) always can find a negative in every game and sometimes blow it out of porportion. Not every single player will have a good game on the same night. One guy has a bad game, and we talk bout him.

I can't blame you for you abandoning the threads but you need to know and accept that Montreal media and fans hate to lose, and always seek out the flaws.

That's just Habs fans for you. We (including myself) always can find a negative in every game and sometimes blow it out of porportion. Not every single player will have a good game on the same night. One guy has a bad game, and we talk bout him.

I can't blame you for you abandoning the threads but you need to know and accept that Montreal media and fans hate to lose, and always seek out the flaws.

Well, I'm not abandoning the site...just considering ignoring the game threads from here on out, because they are too often ridiculous. However, I do think there's been a decline in the quality of discussion on this site since the new season began. Not sure what the problem is - it may just be the strange (and strangely under-discussed) disappearance of Wamsley01... :blink:

Well, I'm not abandoning the site...just considering ignoring the game threads from here on out, because they are too often ridiculous. However, I do think there's been a decline in the quality of discussion on this site since the new season began. Not sure what the problem is - it may just be the strange (and strangely under-discussed) disappearance of Wamsley01... :blink:

I think it has a lot more to do with the play of the team than with the absence of one poster. The better the team plays, the better the morale of the fans and that means less people whining about every single player even when they're playing okay. Even if you were to add a dozen knowledgeable posters to the boards, the discussion would still be weak because everyone will still be frustrated until the Habs start playing better. That being said, we're 5th in the league and possibly 4th once we play as many games as the Rangers - so there really isn't much reason for people to be complaining. We started off last season in a pretty similar way to this one, but people are remembering our end to the season and comparing that to this year's start. Cheer up everybody. :)