Koivu out for Saturday, Maxwell, Denis recalled

dlbalr

http://www.corussports.com/canadiens/maxwe...12-1322113.html

Also interesting to note, Marc Denis has also been recalled as Price is still quite sick, likely designated as an emergency callup (no player is required to go on IR then). Mathieu Dandenault has been placed on IR to make room for Maxwell.

Off to update the cap info again, just when I thought I had it all put together...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=11009

An English link. Doesn't sound good for Koivu if they're already calling up a forward.

Well it is not like they had anyone to take his place.

Laraque, Dandenault and Higgins are the 3 that can play forward and they are all hurt.

Great chance for Maxwell that's for sure.

I really am a little worried for Saku he had been playing really well this year.

Laraque is hurt again?

Also, Chipchura must be pissed that they called up another centre before him.

apparently Chipchura tweaked his groin

Maxwell has been playing the point with Carle on Hamilton's top PP unit. Just saying.

Lots of hurt going round if Chips is also ailing. But yes, Laraque is injured, and IMO needs to shut it down for a while. He's forcing the issue and the problem will just keep lingering if he doesn't rest.

I hope he wasn't recalled because of that injury (he didn't play last night) because that would be a huge slap in the face, especially since he's been a dominant force for Hamilton recently.

Yep, it is a groin injury, and Chipchura is listed as DTD (I'm skeptical he plays for the Dogs this weekend based on what was said during the Hamilton game the other night...)

It's bad for Koivu, but what a character guy, he was hurt to his d*mn foot and came back..

One good thing is that he have to rest and the only way to keep him out the ice is an injury,

i really hope it's just a week.

Maxwell has good hockey sense and will have a chance to test his hockey smart in the NHL.

Chipchura would've been the callup had he not been injured, per Carbonneau.

"Ben was our best option since Kyle Chipchura is injured right now," explained Carbonneau. "He did some good things during training camp and he will be playing with Andrei Kostitsyn and Matt D'Agostini. He's an offensive player and we want to see what he can do."

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/?service...rticleid=397647

Glad to see Maxwell is going right into the fire and playing with offensive players. I wonder if he was D'Agi centre in Hamilton? If so they may already have a bit of chemistry.

That was my thought as well, but dlbalr mentioned that D'agostini's centre in hamilton was yannick lehoux.

Tough break for Chipchura - he has really played well.

Glad Carbonneau made that statment - that should be reassuring to Kyle.

Maybe Maxwell can provide some spark - does anyone know if he was the centre on Diago's line in Hamilton?

Well it is a long season, if you have to have injuries, this is not a bad time of year to have them.

This gives even more opportunities for other Diagos to step up now to be part of the roster when it counts - next spring.

Edited by koivu

This is a pretty good opportunity for Andrei Kostsitsyn to take control, and establish himself as an offensive leader on the ice. He'll be playing with two rookies who were both in Hamilton only a couple weeks ago. Can't wait to see how he handles that responsibility.

This is a pretty good opportunity for Andrei Kostsitsyn to take control, and establish himself as an offensive leader on the ice. He'll be playing with two rookies who were both in Hamilton only a couple weeks ago. Can't wait to see how he handles that responsibility.

.... I could have.

The key to all this will be whether Koivu is hurt for a longer-term stretch. If so, that could mean big trouble for this team; despite the puling of his critics, Koivu is the absolute lynchpin. Other than that, none of this sounds too severe (losing Higgins for 6 weeks is a blow, but really - he's been a dog most of this season anyway). They have to ride it out, and if it means that they hunker down even further and further commit to Carbo's increasingly-cleaer defensive system, hey, it could even prove good for the long term.

Man, talk about luck... Our core is dropping like flies! Laraque is the least of worries, but we picked him up for a reason and his presence will be missed against tougher teams. Dandenault was playing well on D and was a much safer option than Brisebois or O'Byrne. Koivu is obviously a major loss. Higgins may not have been producing but he created a good attack and had the ability to break out at any time. Plus with Pleks, Kovy Lats and Sergei all not producing, I forsee a rough couple of weeks...

With Koivu out for probably at least 2 games, Kovy might be deciding his future with the team right now. He has to step up in a big way. Not that he hasn't been playing well overall, but now it falls to him to be the offensive catalyst.

With Koivu out for probably at least 2 games, Kovy might be deciding his future with the team right now. He has to step up in a big way. Not that he hasn't been playing well overall, but now it falls to him to be the offensive catalyst.

If it gets Kovalev playing the way he did when he got the 'C' when Saku went down last year, then Koivu getting hurt might be a blessing in disguise (provided it's not for too long).