Negotiations with our UFA's

Habsfan

Anyone else starting to get nervous about the fact that Bob hasn't even started negotiating with ANY of our UFA's.

Pierre McGuire has been ranting about this for over 5 months now about the fact that Bob hasn't even contacted Mike Komisarek's agent to try and get him signed ASAP. I think McGuire is right on this one. Not to mention that Bob has 9 other UFA's to either sign or let go.

I really don't get Bob's strategy on this one? The earlier he would have signed Komisarek, the cheaper he would have cost us. The longer Bob waits, the more expensive he will be, and the greater the chances of seeing him decide to wait til July 1st and test the Free agent waters. Obviously, this is something we desperately do not want to see happen, seeing as we've been waiting for a big, tough, stay-at-home d-man on this team for over a decade!

I think it's best to wait this year moreso than others. Which direction the cap is heading is a little cloudy... some tough decisions may need to be made. It's best to have all the information you possibly can before making that kind of move.

It's a double-edged sword. On one hand, waiting to see what the cap will be allows for the most efficient planning. But on the other hand, letting guys find out what other teams are willing to pay them could cost you dearly. Tough call on whether or not to lock guys up before season's end.

I believe in everything Bob does! I'd like him to finish his career here in Montreal. However, not dealing with players during the season may cost us. A local radio host recently spoke about how much Komisarek loves being on this team. Bob, let's get this done!!

Edited by Habsy

Komisarek is the only one that needs to be signed as soon as possible, I couldn't care any less if any of the other UFAs left next summer (although it would have been nice to see Koivu retire as a habs, it might be time for both sides to move on different ways).

Hey guys, Komi been hurt this year, hasnt played to last years potential. This is a blessing in disguise for signing him. We all know what he is worth, and Gainey will get it done.

you'll have tons of quality fowards this summer but only one Komisarek. I reallllllly hope they started talking.

as for the fowards, I would try to keep as much money possible to throw at zetterberd, hossa or franzen....

I thought I heard Bob had no intention of negotiating with anyone until the off-season.

Ya, that's the point. That's Bob's policy. If one day we lose a player, he's going to look like he's asleep at the wheel.

If the cap drops quite a bit then so will salaries. It would suck to sign Komisarek to a 5 million dollar contract when the new cap his salary would be 3.5 million (rough figures of course).

Koivu, Kovalev and all of the grinders can wait. We may not see very many people back next season.

It is a tough call.

If the cap drops quite a bit then so will salaries. It would suck to sign Komisarek to a 5 million dollar contract when the new cap his salary would be 3.5 million (rough figures of course).

Koivu, Kovalev and all of the grinders can wait. We may not see very many people back next season.

It is a tough call.

The cap doesn't drop a players salary. If we can't fit him under our cap, he'll sign with a team that has the available cap space.

The cap doesn't drop a players salary. If we can't fit him under our cap, he'll sign with a team that has the available cap space.

I think he means that it's all relative. If the cap drops and the Max salary goes from $11.2M per year to $8.6M per year the salaries would be thought of in the same context. At least it would be the negotiating tecnique I'm sure Bob would use.

E.g...... at this current cap Komi is worth say 10% of the cap total roughly $5.7M. If the cap drops significantly, Komi's value is still the same but his portion of the teams cap overall would also be the same. Meaning if the cap is $50.9M per Komi would still be at 10% of the teams total and $5.09M

Edited by Habitforming

The #1 reason salaries rise every year? The cap rises. It is 100% related. The cap rising means every team in the NHL has more money to spend on new contracts.

The Habs have a lot of contracts expiring, but other teams don't. If the cap remains at $56m, they won't be able to pitch for free agents. The market will be a lot smaller, and a lot of free agents will have to take less.

Maybe not Komisarek, but other guys will have to. Anyways, if the economy is still sputtering in June and season ticket sales are slow it gives a better idea that the cap may in fact go down in 2010-11, so Bob needs that info to assess what he can pay for the guys he has.

The #1 reason salaries rise every year? The cap rises. It is 100% related. The cap rising means every team in the NHL has more money to spend on new contracts.

The Habs have a lot of contracts expiring, but other teams don't. If the cap remains at $56m, they won't be able to pitch for free agents. The market will be a lot smaller, and a lot of free agents will have to take less.

Maybe not Komisarek, but other guys will have to. Anyways, if the economy is still sputtering in June and season ticket sales are slow it gives a better idea that the cap may in fact go down in 2010-11, so Bob needs that info to assess what he can pay for the guys he has.

I got all that, we all know that. The point is Komisarek, a team like the leafs, would be in a position to offer him big money. Ok, than I guess we'll do a Bob and wait and see.

I thought due to the way contracts run with the season, the cap, etc, etc...it was beneficial for a team NOT to do anything with any of their free agents (that are currently under contract) until after some arbitrary date, which I though was Jan 1. Otherwise, contracts made prior to that are seen as extensions that are rolled into the current year's salary cap for the team. Granted, I could be completely wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

As for whether or not Gainey has contacted any agents, who cares what random announcers are rambling.

BY the way, all the experts agree that the cap will most likely increase again this year(although not by much) and that it's in the 2010-2011 season where we will see a major drop in the cap.

I mean we all know that komisarek is the ONLY player out of all the UFA's that MUST ABSOLUTELY be signed. He's only 26 and he IS the big d-man the Habs have needed for the past 10 years. Get the damn deal done already. If you wait til the end of the season(april or may) Klmisarek might decide that since he's soooo close to July 1st and free agency, he might decide to wait another month or two and test free agent WATERS!!! and WE DON'T WANT THAT!

I am fairly positive that Bob knows what he is going to do. He is very aware of the cap and where it is going, he knows komi's value to this team, and waht it is to other teams. He has a plan and no amount of whining on this board of experts is going to change it. just let him do his job.

I am fairly positive that Bob knows what he is going to do. He is very aware of the cap and where it is going, he knows komi's value to this team, and waht it is to other teams. He has a plan and no amount of whining on this board of experts is going to change it. just let him do his job.

Another consideration in favour of waiting until the offseason to negotiate.... injuries. If Komisarek signs tomorrow, and then gets injured and has to have a major surgery... remember, Bob signed Saku mid-season in 2006 and then in the playoffs suffered a potentially devestating eye injury. People didn't think he could come back and be 100% after that... but Saku already had the contract at full value. It turned out good, but it could have scared him off a bit.

Whining?? Is that was that was? Seems more like concern. If you don't think a UFA Komisarek won't get big offers, you're out to lunch.

Whining?? Is that was that was? Seems more like concern. If you don't think a UFA Komisarek won't get big offers, you're out to lunch.

Thank you...I wasn't whining, but expressing some concern...and rightfully so. Komisarek should've been signed last year, instead, we are in January and he only has to wait anoth 6 months to hit free agency!

I find Bob is taking some chances in this case. Komisarek is TOO valuable to play games with!

Every indication is that Komisarek loves it here. And a guy with his heart-of-a-lion probably wants to be where he has a chance to win - i.e., Montreal. This suggests that he will be easy enough to re-sign. (Didn't the same kind of thing happen with Markov?) Bob probably has a sense of the man he's dealing with and has a rationally-grounded confidence that waiting until season's end will in no way jeapordize our ability to keep Komisarek. So I'd suggest that fans stay cool on this.

Every indication is that Komisarek loves it here. And a guy with his heart-of-a-lion probably wants to be where he has a chance to win - i.e., Montreal. This suggests that he will be easy enough to re-sign. (Didn't the same kind of thing happen with Markov?) Bob probably has a sense of the man he's dealing with and has a rationally-grounded confidence that waiting until season's end will in no way jeapordize our ability to keep Komisarek. So I'd suggest that fans stay cool on this.

Amen.