He's back...

dlbalr

Me says it's his final exam with Montreal...and he's being showcased around the league.

I hope he brought his own purse to Tampa this time :D

I really hope O'Byrne can make it this time. He was playing well last year, and I hope he can continue that in the second half of the season. As much as I love Komisarek, I think O'Byrne can also become another MONSTER on the blue line for the Habs. We are in desperate need of some size and the addition of a SOLID and confident O'byrne will definitely help!

Good Luck Ryan!

Edited by Habsfan

I caught two of his games for Hamilton and he looked very strong.

He may be part of a package of player possibly being shopped around, but I don't think Gainey will easily part wth a huge mobile defenseman whose contract is cheap and he owns for another 5 years easily.

Especially when there isn't much coming up in the farm immediatley

Mobile? I you talking about O'Byrne. He gets beet wide all the time, his transition from forwards to backwards has gotten him caught numerous times.

He is a 6 or 7 at best. I haven't seen the mean streak or the physical side of him consistantly to be a shut down guy like Komi.

He is a 6 or 7 at best.

I disagree. I think that by the time O'byrne is 26 or 27 years old, he could definitely be a number 4 d-man...and a solid one at that!

Edited by Habsfan

I disagree. I think that by the time O'byrne is 26 or 27 years old, he could definitely be a number 4 d-man...and a solid one at that!

What in the blue hell are you basing that on?!?! :blink: I've seen NOTHING that leads me to believe O'Byrne is going to be a good d-man when judging his work in the NHL thus far. Looking good in the AHL is not a predictor of NHL success.

What in the blue hell are you basing that on?!?! :blink: I've seen NOTHING that leads me to believe O'Byrne is going to be a good d-man when judging his work in the NHL thus far. Looking good in the AHL is not a predictor of NHL success.

I'm basing that on what he did last year. He played well, kept things simple and it worked out for him very well!

Sorry, but there is no way you can ever consider O'Byrne mobile. He's slow. Very slow.

That being said, I think if he was playing at his best, we could really use his presence on the back.

Slow maybe, but I have learned in my years of watching hockey that tall players tend to look slow. I am old enough to have watched players like Robinson and Beliveau play and would you believe some people used to say these two players were slow? Please, I am not comparing O'/byrne with these two players but I am making a point about perception.

Slow maybe, but I have learned in my years of watching hockey that tall players tend to look slow. I am old enough to have watched players like Robinson and Beliveau play and would you believe some people used to say these two players were slow? Please, I am not comparing O'/byrne with these two players but I am making a point about perception.

Exactly! Taller guys seem to be slow on the ice.

I hope the time in Hamilton did him some good, and that he can regain his form from last year. Breezer is getting burned out something fierce.

Sorry, but there is no way you can ever consider O'Byrne mobile. He's slow. Very slow.

That being said, I think if he was playing at his best, we could really use his presence on the back.

Could he be a modern version of Lyle Odelein? He was never confused with Chris Chelios or Ray Bourque, but damn it if you were gonna go into the corner for the puck, you'd be damned sure you were coming out with some black and blur marks and some sore spots, with or without the puck. And when the time came to step up for a teammate, Lyle was always there. That's one thing we haven't seen from O'Byrne yet, and with Laraque out for the foreseeable future, someone willing to answer the call will get ice time.

Oh no, the guy who scores in his net ??

Just like Backstrom did in the playoffs last year? Really seemed to ruin his career. Oh wait, he's putting up a point per game in his sophomore season. Yup, I guess scoring in your own goal really ruins your career.

Every showcase of him will low it's trade value.

It? It? This is a human being we are talking about, not a piece of meat.

They should have let him dominate at AHL level and he would have the same trade value, a used jackstrap.

Yes, because he's obviously a horrible player who will never improve. :rolleyes:

Here we go again...Habs "fans" crapping all over a *24*-year-old. And why? Because he was abysmal for the first three months of one season. The guy is 6'6, huge, and still learning the game. For God's sake, give him some time to develop. :wall: Between Robidas, Hainsey (who admittedly is welcome to keep his -6486748 elsewhere) and Beauchemin I don't think the Habs should be in any rush to prematurely jettison any further young defencemen with upside.

And remember Komisarek's struggles early in his career? Guess not - or maybe the same people howing for O'Byrne's scalp were also howling for Komisarek's. Either way, it's asinine.

Here we go again...Habs "fans" crapping all over a *24*-year-old. And why? Because he was abysmal for the first three months of one season. The guy is 6'6, huge, and still learning the game. For God's sake, give him some time to develop. :wall: Between Robidas, Hainsey (who admittedly is welcome to keep his -6486748 elsewhere) and Beauchemin I don't think the Habs should be in any rush to prematurely jettison any further young defencemen with upside.

And remember Komisarek's struggles early in his career? Guess not - or maybe the same people howing for O'Byrne's scalp were also howling for Komisarek's. Either way, it's asinine.

:clap::clap: Well said!!! :D:clap::clap:

I wish him the best really, because whether it's a trade which i doubt will happend...if he's solid this time...it will certainly helps the habs in the end run as other injuries will surely happend on our defensive squad.

I do agree with other posters...hes 24 BUT he hasnt played in AHL and NHL that long. All defenseman take longer time to develop especially when they are tall and big. OByrne wasnt a 1st round pick like Komi( i'm not comparing the two but...Komisarek took a good full 3 years in the NHL to develop into the defense he is now...they have totally different potential but he might need more time to reach his potential...a 4th defenseman)

Had a decent 1st game back.

Even

12 minutes and 3 hits he also kept the puck in well.

My favourite part was when he didn't bail on the puck with that massive russian (Artukin?) barrelling down on him. O'Byrne passed the puck, took the big hit and stayed up. If he does nothing else but nullify other teams big players in our zone, he's worth the roster spot.