Lang lost for season

Psycing

Absolutely if he can pass a physical.

And some very small upside will be that we'll be able to afford him and whoever else we want to bring back now.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish Lang a speedy recovery, even though I'm well aware that his season is almost assuredly finished!

If we can sign him for under 4 million$ next year, I say go for it!

Is there anything that makes less sense in sports than hockey's LTIR? Honestly, your post doesn't make any sense at all.

Lost me totally!

I've heard 3 months minimum. So, with surgery on Feb. 2, that means he won't be back until at least May 2 or thereabouts. I'd say he's a no until at least Round 3 if the Habs make it that far.

What do you mean by "If the habs make it that far"? C'mon!

I'd rather see the money spent on resigning Higgins and Komisarek than bringing Lang back. Or bringing in a younger UFA to fill a spot

Or going towards Vinnie with Sakus pay cheque..

Vinnie, Pleks, Laps and the best 'Dog out of camp?

Lost me totally!

I'm sorry, I try the best I can to explain these things, but they were described in very technical terms to me. What I post is about as close to layman's terms as I can get. I'll try again.

If you put a player on LTIR and then try to re-activate him, you can only do so when your projected remaining payroll falls within the range of the Upper Limit (56.7 million). If not, you run into a situation like Philly, who can't find a way to get back under the limit and thus can't re-activate Briere. The Habs, if they were to decide to place Latendresse on LTIR and/or Tanguay, would potentially run into the same issues when that player was to return (not so much for Lang as he's out for the rest of the regular season at least).

This is why the Habs will not be making a move any time soon; they will want to preserve what little cap space they have remaining until as late as possible, then make their upgrade(s).

But Lang is out for the season so there is no danger of us needing to re-empty this cap space later. If it's legal, it should be a no-brainer for us to place him on the LTIR.

Edited by BTH

But Lang is out for the season so there is no danger of us needing to re-empty this cap space later. If it's legal, it should be a no-brainer for us to place him on the LTIR.

I think Colin was implying the asking price may be dropping day by day. Also, you can't bring in a $6 million player to replace a $4 million LTIR player, it's gotta be less than or equal to.

I think Colin was implying the asking price may be dropping day by day. Also, you can't bring in a $6 million player to replace a $4 million LTIR player, it's gotta be less than or equal to.

I was replying to you, it was an accident that I quoted Colin.

So yeah, now that Lang's gone, (let's use the figures as if it's Day 1 of the season) and we've lost a 4 mil player, we should be able to place him on the LTIR and open up 4 mil in cap space. So why is our cap situation still dire?

I was replying to you, it was an accident that I quoted Colin.

So yeah, now that Lang's gone, (let's use the figures as if it's Day 1 of the season) and we've lost a 4 mil player, we should be able to place him on the LTIR and open up 4 mil in cap space. So why is our cap situation still dire?

The 4 million is absolutely irrelvant, as everything is calculated daily. Here's the precise calculation:

Lang's remaining pay: $1,419,354.84 (as of today)

- Space from Upper Limit: $996,823.48

= Potential LTIR space: $422,531.36 (This is what could be spent over the cap)

A player with that much salary remaining has a daily cap hit of $6,401.99. Over a full season, said player would make $1,190,770.20. A player called up/acquired to replace Lang should he be placed on LTIR tonight cannot have a season salary exceeding that amount (so no Gaborik at 6 million or anyone else really that good). Not 4 million in potential savings, but merely 400,000 and change. Factor in this with the need to improve on the back end, and this is why I say that it's a dire situation trying to plug 2 holes with that little space.

The 4 million is absolutely irrelvant, as everything is calculated daily. Here's the precise calculation:

Lang's remaining pay: $1,419,354.84 (as of today)

- Space from Upper Limit: $996,823.48

= Potential LTIR space: $422,531.36 (This is what could be spent over the cap)

A player with that much salary remaining has a daily cap hit of $6,401.99. Over a full season, said player would make $1,190,770.20. A player called up/acquired to replace Lang should he be placed on LTIR tonight cannot have a season salary exceeding that amount (so no Gaborik at 6 million or anyone else really that good). Not 4 million in potential savings, but merely 400,000 and change. Factor in this with the need to improve on the back end, and this is why I say that it's a dire situation trying to plug 2 holes with that little space.

See, but you didn't take into account the 996,823.48 we had available to begin with. Add that to the 422,531.36 the LTIR opens up, and we can bring in a guy with a roughly 4 million salary. Of course, then they wouldn't be able to call anyone up. :lol:

See, but you didn't take into account the 996,823.48 we had available to begin with. Add that to the 422,531.36 the LTIR opens up, and we can bring in a guy with a roughly 4 million salary. Of course, then they wouldn't be able to call anyone up. :lol:

You're starting to come along...we're saying similar things but in different ways. But again, multiple injuries, and multiple holes to fill. And, as we were discussing earlier this afternoon, the Habs certainly won't want to do as Philly has, something that would have consequences closer to the playoffs.

It been 5 days and I haven't posted on this thread. I would have sooner but I was so disgusted I didn't want to even talk about it. I was telling people at work that they can bug all they want about the barber shop jersey and losing to Boston, but leave Lang out of it!

I still don't even want to type it or talk about. I feel rotton for him. What a way for a career to possibly/most likely end and it F(_)( KING SUCKS! I hope he makes it back.

:(