Creative Writing

BTH

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked this... but I don't know what her insanely successful book is. "Eat, Pray, Love" ? I'd never even heard of it.

It was on the New York Times Bestseller List for 110 weeks and is being made into a movie starring Julia Roberts and being produced by Brad Pitt.

I borrowed it from my sister because she was going on about how good it is. She told me Oprah devoted her show to the book for a bit which has me wary, I haven't gotten around to reading it. Sounds like something just for the females.

I'm typically not into any book with the word Pray in the title :P

This 20 minute video totally changes the way I will approach writing from now on though.

I can also relate to the whole concept of an idea or creative flow coming through in one shape or form - it typically happens to me as I'm about to fall asleep, and I promise myself I'll remember what it was when I wake up but never do... so since that has been happening if I ever come across a thought I consider noteworthy while about to fall asleep I get nervous/anxious that I'm going to forget it. Thing is, these things always happen so if I'm too tired/etc I'll just let it pass and go to bed and allow it to either return or move on, knowing that when appropriate, I will have that flow returned with another idea/thought anyhow.

I can also relate to the whole concept of an idea or creative flow coming through in one shape or form - it typically happens to me as I'm about to fall asleep, and I promise myself I'll remember what it was when I wake up but never do... so since that has been happening if I ever come across a thought I consider noteworthy while about to fall asleep I get nervous/anxious that I'm going to forget it. Thing is, these things always happen so if I'm too tired/etc I'll just let it pass and go to bed and allow it to either return or move on, knowing that when appropriate, I will have that flow returned with another idea/thought anyhow.

This is why I keep a journal beside my bed. I usually get 2 ideas a night so it's pretty much filled with material. Got a lock on it too since I'm paranoid.

This is why I keep a journal beside my bed. I usually get 2 ideas a night so it's pretty much filled with material. Got a lock on it too since I'm paranoid.

Yeah I definitely have a book in just about every drawer in my room - pens plentiful. However, I'm usualy very much half-asleep when it happens and getting out of bed just isn't an option because it's as if my body is still paralyzed, lol.

Did I ever mention I sometimes suffer from sleep paralysis? Not as fun as it sounds lol.

Yeah I definitely have a book in just about every drawer in my room - pens plentiful. However, I'm usualy very much half-asleep when it happens and getting out of bed just isn't an option because it's as if my body is still paralyzed, lol.

Did I ever mention I sometimes suffer from sleep paralysis? Not as fun as it sounds lol.

Are you kidding me? Sleep paralysis doesn't sound fun at all. I'm scared it'll happen to me one day.

Lucid dreams on the other hand are awesome as hell.

Are you kidding me? Sleep paralysis doesn't sound fun at all. I'm scared it'll happen to me one day.

Yeah I experienced the really phucked up one with the old-hag syndrome or wtv where it feels like this evil thing/force is coming in on you. Well, that's what it was for me, I actually recall a very demonic face coming in through the window and I couldn't move or anything but I was *awake*. This same experience is shared but a ton of people who have had this - and they all report similar occurances, mostly it's an 'old hag' who comes and sits on your chest basically suffocating you.

The trick is to concentrate on wiggling a finger and make your way from there. The worst part is trying to open your mouth to scream or something but you can't.

They are when everything goes well...

... but when you can't wake up from it (ie. multiple in-dream wake-ups) it's scary as hell.

Theres actually some practice you can do to get better control of them. If you randomly have them, they're ok but when you're intentionally trying to have one, it's awesome as hell. You get to control the setting and whos in it and everything.

Theres actually some practice you can do to get better control of them. If you randomly have them, they're ok but when you're intentionally trying to have one, it's awesome as hell. You get to control the setting and whos in it and everything.

I used to be obsessed by them when I was around 17-18, and tried all sorts of techniques to get them. What did the trick for me what a weird British auto-hypnosis technique I picked up from an old 70's book. The book was written to teach astral projection but in the process it sort of teaches lucid dreams. In short, you do lucid dreams in reverse, by getting yourself into a near-sleep mode (lowering your brain waves) while staying conscious. After that, its easier to become lucid while in a real dream.

I had a period where I got lucid (to some various degrees) in almost every dream I made. It really becomes addictive. Flying is definitely the first thing tried. Then, of course, f*cking whoever I wanted became my fave hobby. Then I got into weirder stuff like in-dream astral projection and trying to visit real people in their sleep/dreams or making dream-meets (if you know someone who can do lucid dreams too, you agree to both meet at a certain place if you find yourself in a lucid dream). None of it ever worked. I got away from it all when real life matters changed my state of mind.

The thing about multiple fake wake-ups happened to me a couple years back. I had a lucid dream that didnt turned out the way I liked (too many things pop in and I couldnt concentrate enough to control the dream) so I tried to wake up.

I "woke up" in my bedroom, everything was exactly as it is in reality. I was sure had really woke up. Something was at the window and I wanted to get up from my bed but I couldn't move, it was a little like the paralysis Maca described. As soon as I could finally get out of bed and walk to the window; I'd wake up in my bed again thinking I was finally awake for real. But it was just the same: something at the window, I'm paralyzed, tried to get up, woke back again. It just kept repeating itself on and on. I dont know how many times, maybe 20, 40. It's was a hard struggle.

When I woke up for real I was terrified out of my skull, exhausted as if I hadn't slept in a week and paralyzed for a good couple of minutes. I havent been able to go lucid in a dream ever since.

I "woke up" in my bedroom, everything was exactly as it is in reality. I was sure had really woke up. Something was at the window and I wanted to get up from my bed but I couldn't move, it was a little like the paralysis Maca described. As soon as I could finally get out of bed and walk to the window; I'd wake up in my bed again thinking I was finally awake for real. But it was just the same: something at the window, I'm paralyzed, tried to get up, woke back again. It just kept repeating itself on and on. I dont know how many times, maybe 20, 40. It's was a hard struggle.

When I woke up for real I was terrified out of my skull, exhausted as if I hadn't slept in a week and paralyzed for a good couple of minutes. I havent been able to go lucid in a dream ever since.

When I was younger - that is, a child of 10 years of age or less - I would wake up thirsty and think about going to get a drink of juice. Then I'd go get it and be happy... but then I'd wake up and realize I didn't actually go and I'm still thirsty. Still, it felt as if getting that drink really happened, so I'd get up and do it again only for the same cycle to occur. I wasn't actually able to get out of bed because of the whole paralysis - but I was too young to really fathom what was going on. I wouldn't say this would happen 20 to 40 times, but around 5 times consecutive sounds about right.

Anyway, that's when I remember my sleep problems starting, lol.

Speaking of which, it's 2:45 and I can't sleep. Probably be up until 4am or so - gotta stop napping in the middle of the day.

When I was younger - that is, a child of 10 years of age or less - I would wake up thirsty and think about going to get a drink of juice. Then I'd go get it and be happy... but then I'd wake up and realize I didn't actually go and I'm still thirsty. Still, it felt as if getting that drink really happened, so I'd get up and do it again only for the same cycle to occur. I wasn't actually able to get out of bed because of the whole paralysis - but I was too young to really fathom what was going on. I wouldn't say this would happen 20 to 40 times, but around 5 times consecutive sounds about right.

Anyway, that's when I remember my sleep problems starting, lol.

Speaking of which, it's 2:45 and I can't sleep. Probably be up until 4am or so - gotta stop napping in the middle of the day.

Same thing sort of used to happened to me as a kid too. Not in cycles, but waking up thinking it was real. I'd start seeing things and think I was hallucinating or going crazy before waking up for real. Like waking up, going to the window and seeing a witch with a cat face right there looking inside my room. Or seeing big gold fishes swim by my bed. The cycle/paralysis episodes only happened much later.

I know all the autohypnosis and other stuff I did (Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds...) are things that affect brain waves. It's the same symptoms as brain lesions so you might wanna look into that. My parents also have sleep problems, which is hereditary (serotonin) so it's another thing to consider.

What works for me is a digital voice recorder, very small and can carry it round during the day and toss it on the bedside table at night -- when elusive Lade Inspiration appears, just push 'record' and let it flow.

What works for me is a digital voice recorder, very small and can carry it round during the day and toss it on the bedside table at night -- when elusive Lade Inspiration appears, just push 'record' and let it flow.

+1

Have mine with me most of the time.

Sounds like I gotta invest in one of those!

You might already have one. Now most cell phone or mp3 players have voice recording, sometime saves in .wav or .mp3 formats so you can upload them on your cpu and organize them.

That's what I use when I got some ideas for my novel (mostly on the bus or on a smoke break at work). They usually come as litteral paragraphs so I have to remember them exactly word for word.

• 1 month later...

Had to write a poem on what poetry is to me / why I write poetry / etc. It's the first exercise I'm doing for class, so the quality will probably pale in comparison to my work at the end of the semester. On that note, I've decided to share it anyway.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear heart,

You lack eyes, you’re without ear,

Yet to you I write these words

You will never see or hear,

Still I share what this means to me,

A place I rhyme me with be.

Each excessive rhyme - a crime,

To which I will need serve time,

But once in this prison of my mind,

A key for release I must find,

In small square cell, hard to breathe,

Pen to paper will relieve.

Late at night I sit and stir,

Emotions, feelings, thoughts all blur,

Subconscious dream – my reality,

All attempts access and assess

These doubts I hold at my core,

This pressure, it makes you sore.

Dear heart,

I’m sorry.

Once, twice, thrice I told this story,

Yet I lie here again with paper and pen,

This trend I cannot break,

Like marriage when Love take Hate.

I know you can’t see the page,

Trapped too behind your own cage,

Yet through this letter I discover,

Unconscious layers undercover,

With each line I feel better,

With each line I forget her.

I do not write about fate,

But rather a past mistake.

The process allows me to reveal,

Ideas I did not know I feel,

Concepts blind to my mind’s eye,

Only this ink can clarify.

Dear heart,

To be deaf and blind,

A luxury, to not suffer each rewind,

Painful memories of the mind,

Erased only through time,

And the assist of my crime.

Has it been graded yet?

I hand it in tomorrow... not sure it will be graded... our work for the first half of the year will basically be "participation" marks... maybe some comments... but no grade. No grades until we start actual workshopping.

I hand it in tomorrow... not sure it will be graded... our work for the first half of the year will basically be "participation" marks... maybe some comments... but no grade. No grades until we start actual workshopping.

Grade? How can you grade someone's creative work? Sorry, your poem sucks: F? It's their poem, created by someone for themself. It's an 'A'. Unless you're going to grade something specific about the format - it HAD to be Haiku (or something like that) then a grade is meaningless. Even then...how many people have modified old formats to make them cool and new.

Is the Shakespearean sonnet crap because it's not the original form of the sonnet? Are Donne's sonnet's therefore better? Or worse? What about the Modernist version of the sonnet? Is it therefore a fail because it doesn't fall in line with the original format of the sonnet?

;)

If I were given a mark, I'd toss the paper back and laugh at the instructor. "You're grading my creativity? Lick 'em."

Grade? How can you grade someone's creative work? Sorry, your poem sucks: F? It's their poem, created by someone for themself. It's an 'A'. Unless you're going to grade something specific about the format - it HAD to be Haiku (or something like that) then a grade is meaningless. Even then...how many people have modified old formats to make them cool and new.

Is the Shakespearean sonnet crap because it's not the original form of the sonnet? Are Donne's sonnet's therefore better? Or worse? What about the Modernist version of the sonnet? Is it therefore a fail because it doesn't fall in line with the original format of the sonnet?

;)

If I were given a mark, I'd toss the paper back and laugh at the instructor. "You're grading my creativity? Lick 'em."

I suppose the instructor can tell which students are taking it the most seriously.

Somebody can write:

Poetry can lick my balls

Because it means nothing to me

Now go crawl up a tree.

And the teacher can say "###### you, 12%!"

I think the teacher would be grading Maca's structure and stuff like that, not his creativity or content.