Habs @ Flames | Game Thread

Fanpuck33

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow....this game combined with the leafs blowout and the live game i watched in buffalo really sinks it in that this team stands no chance in hell for a cup...

blow it up...what happened to we would be rebuilt by 2009 BOB!?!?? my Arse. Get a GM that has a set of gonads!!!!

Man, something truly fundamental is wrong. And don't give me this 'that's how good this team really is' bullshit. Even without Lang, there's considerable talent there. The problem is the talent is playing way under its capabilities. This looks like a chemistry issue - reminds me of the 92 team, another very good Habs team that simply rolled over and died of mysterious causes.

I have had absolutely no problem with Carbonneau and I am not someone to blame coaches. But I have to say...if it were ANYONE other than Gainey's protegé behind the bench, his job would be seriously in question by now. And unless Gainey has a trade up his sleeve that does not involve dealing away young talent (Kovalev? Any takers?) it may be time to start musing about names like Hartley, Robinson, etc.. Because this is ridiculous.

A trade is coming of some type I'm sure. And, I'm not even talking a blockbuster. It might be a sideways move. The logjam of youth/vets and the spooky trade rumours that have dogged some players, has created a condition that a shakeup might be needed. Or, at least a minor influence. Either way, the more we lose will likely determine what hand we can play with on March 4th or before. The position of strength is sinking with these losses. :( Don't be surprised if BOb moves before the deadline. But, what do I know? :lol:

Let the rumours begin because they are going to unfortunately intensify.

this is ridiculous, habs down 6-2, get a 5 on 3 and use that to slow the pace down.

Kovy and Markov on the point are brutal.. no shots.. just keep tying to pass it around constantly... two guys in front.. put the puck to the damn net or go sit on the bench...

I don't see anything outside a trade that will turn this season around.. we may be out of a playoff spot by the time they get home from this trip

And unless Gainey has a trade up his sleeve that does not involve dealing away young talent (Kovalev? Any takers?) it may be time to start musing about names like Hartley, Robinson, etc.. Because this is ridiculous.

Even the best shepherd needs a shepherd dog to help him out. Carbo has none. Koivu, Kovy, Higgins, Markov... they're all sheeps. Losers.

Kovy and Markov on the point are brutal.. no shots.. just keep tying to pass it around constantly... two guys in front.. put the puck to the damn net or go sit on the bench...

Yes, and that's what's so rattling about this. Guys that are absolutely ROCKS of our core are playing like rank, confused amateurs out there. C'est pas normal. Like I say, another team, a coaching change would be top of mind.

That was ugly. georges laraque looked like an offensive threat. Kovy played good. Koivu can't win faceoffs anymore. I feel sorry for halak he really tried but this was ridiculous. Komi needs to be sent to hamilton the way he's playing. this hole fing team is snake bit, BOB YOU MUST DO SOMETHING.

They need to find a loophole that let's an NHL team swap places with its AHL team. At leas the Bulldogs might show some heart and effort. Only about a quarter of the Habs even look like they give damn.

38 points in 50GP this season on a team that is on the quest for Tavares....

Face it...we have no blueline shot right now which is why our PP SUCKS..we needed him

On a side note if we had that big shot, Kovalev would have more space to operate on the half boards like last season

And your explanation for the powerplays' collapse last season? Seriously, it's not the personnel. The league has figured out the Habs powerplay and they haven't adapted to get around that. The hardest shot in the world isn't going to help matters if they can't complete passes and get the puck to the open guy.

One of the VERY few times in my life that I don't finish a game. I prefered watching a kind of documentary about the Black Eyed Peas. :(

Edited by JoeLassister

Feel free to take up the game threads, mine seem to have lost their luster.

The way the habs have been playing, i don't feel all that motivated... :/ we'll see.

I went to the Boston game about 10 days ago and the Leafs game last saturday. Two disasters.

The only two live games i've seen since my early childhood, which i barely remember... and i get treated to a suck-fest.

And tonight, again. Geez.

In retrospect - and I don't pretend that I saw this coming - the absence of a second top-4 rushing defenceman was a serious hole on this team that needed fixing, because without that element, the quick-transition, rush-rush-rush game of last season wasn't going to be nearly as good. The weak PP is a symptom of that deeper underlying problem - a problem that cut to the heart of team identity, in fact. ('If we can't play that game as well anymore, well...now what??')

But now it's become more than that. This is an unfolding debacle.

I don't blame Koivu, like some around here. But it's very obvious that most of the players who, last season, were hungry and (like Koivu) willing to pay the price by cutting to the inside, going into dangerous areas, taking a hit to make plays, etc., are not willing to do that this season. Kovy, Pleks and the Kostitsyns seem particularly guilty. (Remember Sergei's gaffe on the PP that led to the go-ahead goal? I swear he flinched because he thought he was going to get hit - and then bobbled the puck).

In addition to the lack of character, they are also playing like a team that has either lost faith in its coach or has quit on him. Sorry, but I come back to the 1992 team that was both riven with internal divisions and also sick of Pat Burns. These guys looked like that tonight and against TO.

I don't know what you do about it. Like I say, any other organization would be beginning to target the coach. It's not the magic bullet, but it might be needed to salvage the season. My preference would still be to trade Kovalev if you can.

But, again: this can't continue. That was one of the most dispiriting games I've seen in my years as a Habs fan. Yes, I've been far more crushed by devastating losses in the playoffs, etc.. But I'm hard pressed to think of a more dispiriting effort from a team. They just lost 5-2 to Toronto. They desperately needed a solid bounce-back game, win or lose. And THIS is their response.

I don't envy Mr. Gainey tonight.

Outside of the usual suspects (Lapierre, Begin, Kosto) did anyone really play their ass off tonight? Of course not.

Kovalev, though he played much better than he has recently, certainly didn't play like a guy who badly wanted to lift the team out of a slump on his shoulders. Not good enough.

Koivu...you already know my thoughts on this, but he makes me so sick, I'll say it again: he's NOT A LEADER and should have the C ripped off of his jersey immediately. Give it to Lapierre...at least he plays hard every night!

Higgins: didn't do a whole heck of a lot

Pacioretty/D'Agostini: not bad...better than most of the vets on the team!

A.Kost: invisible

S.Kost: invisible would have been an upgrade over what he was tonight...absolutely terrible.

Plekanec: Aside from the easy score compliments of a Kovy pass right on the tape, didn't do a whole lot

The D-men were soft yet again...Calgary barged through them on their way to the slot all night long.

This team is fuct...it's to the point where they're almost making me consider watching basketball instead :wall:

Edited by sbhatt