NBA Barbarism

Fanpuck33_

I have no sympathy for a fan getting beat up that throws water bottles at players. Only problem was that I think Artest went after the wrong fan...lol.

Yeah, the fans got what they deserved. The Pacers complained during the game about fans yelling crude and vulgar things at their players, and then they throw a full cup of beer at the most volatile player in the NBA since Rodman. O'Neill and Jackson should not be suspended for too long, they were protecting their teammate from drunk fans who were attacking him.

I have no sympathy for a fan getting beat up that throws water bottles at players

Wrong. It was a paper cup. Can't you get your facts straight at least once?

And you call the NHL "barbaric," Ribeiro.    

It was an ugly incident involving Ron Artest and O'neal, two thugs that love fighting. THe only other incident where a player has attacked a fan were in '95. Hockey fans are a lot more belligerent than basketball fans.

It's not like this hasn't happened in the NHL, hypocrite. Tie Domi beat up a fan in the penalty box. The exact same thing happened in the NHL in 1979 when the Bruins started beating up Ranger fans.

[Edited on 2004/11/21 by Ribeiro]

Originally posted by Ribeiro

Wrong.  It was a paper cup. Can't you get your facts straight at least once?  

Look, I am cool, I post in bold. No arena uses paper cups, it was a plastic cup full of beer that could have damaged his eye if it had been a little more accurate.

It was an ugly incident involving Ron Artest and O'neal, two thugs that love fighting.  THe only other incident where a player has attacked a fan were in '95.  Hockey fans are a lot more belligerent than basketball fans.

Ron Artest was trying to stay out of a fight, and a stupid fan assaulted him with a projectile. And O'Neill was defending his teammate when fans were running onto the court. The fans going onto the court are just as at fault as Artest was.

How about Rodman kicking the cameraman a few years back? Or Barkley spitting on an 8 year-old girl in 1991? Get your facts straight. And calling NHL fans more beligerant? Fans in all sports get drunk and do stupid things.

It's not like this hasn't happened in the NHL, hypocrite.  Tie Domi beat up a fan in the penalty box.  The exact same thing happened in the NHL in 1979 when the Bruins started beating up Ranger fans.

Hypocrite? Did I ever claim there haven't been incidents in the NHL? Never once. And Tie Domi had every right to hit that asshole. Would you just stand there and let some drunk who just broke down the glass to get to you attack you? Of course not, you'd fight back.

[Edited on 11-21-04 by Fanpuck33]

Should Artest be suspended for quite a while? Of course. But Stephen Jackson and Jermaine O'Neill were protecting their teammate who was going to have numerous fans trying to injure him. You gotta protect your teammates. Wallace and Artest should have the longest suspensions. If Wallace hadn't been a complete ass about that foul, which was not hard at all, none of this would have happened. And the fans involved should have their season tickets revoked.

And in 95 when Maxwell hit a fan, he got 10 games and $20,000. I don't remember this well, but I think he just got fed up with verbal assault, while Artest had a full cup of beer thrown at him, as well as verbal harrasment during the game. Why should his suspension be so much longer than Maxwell's?

[Edited on 11-21-04 by Fanpuck33]

You gotta protect your teammates.  Wallace and Artest should have the longest suspensions.  If Wallace hadn't been a complete ass about that foul, which was not hard at all, none of this would have happened.  And the fans involved should have their season tickets revoked.  

Did you see the whole game?

Before Artest committed the foul, which was unnecessary, he was stuffed by Wallace on a lay-up attempt but did not get a call after complaining to an Official.

O'neal and Jackson (especially), weren't protecting anyone. They were punching people that were trying to break up the fight.

There's been a report of what the suspensions are going to be, and they're a bit much IMO. But, if the NBA wants to send a message, then I guess it's the right thing. Personally, I don't see why Wallace gets 5, in other situations like this where he was upset about a hard foul, the player gets 1 or 2 games tops. As for O'Neal and Jackson, 20 each is a lot; I never actually saw either of them hit a player, I never saw O'Neal get involved, but I've only see a couple of highlights so I'll withhold commenting beyond that. As for Artest, I figured he'd get 15, so he may get twice that.

According to Ben Maller and Chris Landry of Fox Sports Radio the outcome from Friday's riot in Detroit could be devestating for the already injury depleated Indiana Pacers, who could lose their top three players for a combined 70 games through suspension.  

The exact length of the suspensions could be announced by the league as early as Sunday night, but Maller and Landry have learned from Pistons play-by-play man Fred McLeod that the NBA plans to suspend Ron Artest for 30 games. Jermaine O'Neal and Stephen Jackson are both expected to receive 20 game suspensions, while Pistons forward Ben Wallace will only miss five.  

All four players were suspended indefinently by the league on Saturday by commissioner David Stern.  

"I didn't start it. I just played the game," Wallace said Saturday before learning of his suspension. "The league is going to do whatever they feel needs to be done, and I don't have no problems with that."  

League officials and police were examining videotapes of Friday night's melee and interviewing witnesses. The NBA issued a statement saying it was reviewing rules and security procedures "so that fans can continue to attend our games unthreatened by events such as the ones that occurred last night."  

Pacers players did not immediately comment Saturday, but team CEO Donnie Walsh issued a statement saying, "responsibility for Friday night's action can be shared by many."

Source: NBA Wiretap

Of course, this is only a report, so nothing is carved in stone.

Originally posted by dlbalr

Personally, I don't see why Wallace gets 5, in other situations like this where he was upset about a hard foul, the player gets 1 or 2 games tops.  As for O'Neal and Jackson, 20 each is a lot; I never actually saw either of them hit a player, I never saw O'Neal get involved, but I've only see a couple of highlights so I'll withhold commenting beyond that.  As for Artest, I figured he'd get 15, so he may get twice that.

Wallace not only punched Artest in the face, he continued trying to provoke Artest, even though Artest made it obvious he was staying out of any fights. At one point, Wallace threw his towel at Artest, hoping to stir him up.

Jackson and O'Neill didn't hit any players, they hit fans. Jackson went up after Artest to protect his teammate, and landed some big punches on a couple fans. O'Neill didn't go into the stands, but he sucker punched a fan who had just gotten punched by Artest, after the fan had raised his fists to Artest. O'Neill's suspension should not be very long, as the fan he hit was on the court. Jackson's will be fairly long, just because he went into the stands, and Artest's will be the longest, since he started.

I only saw the highlights of the incident...looked like a water bottle but it may have been something else. There's no way it was just a paper cup...as I recall it looked like it bounced off his chest. Maybe a plastic beer cup...whatever it was there's no excuse for fans throwing anything at players...which was my actual point. Something you seemed to ignore as you nitpick away...lol

THIS is what you want to argue about now? LOL...you're reaching. You must be sore after the beating I've(and others) been giving you in other threads.