Kovy not accompanying the team to Washington

Colin

As per RDS, Gainey has asked Kovy to stay at home and "rest." He's not playing well and needs to figure things out. Apparently Bob doesn't seem to think that, with the way the Habs are playing, they'll need Kovy in Washington.

This of course begs the question: trade afoot?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they just want Kovy to rest up a little bit before the playoffs?? I must admit, this sounds like Bob is working the phones and trying to trade Kovy!

Maybe they just want Kovy to rest up a little bit before the playoffs?? I must admit, this sounds like Bob is working the phones and trying to trade Kovy!

Rest for what playoffs? Montreal hasn't proved they've regained "playoff team" form yet. :P

this is looking frighteningly like a sinking ship.

this sounds like the preamble to one of those aging vet for draft picks trades...

Kovy, Higgins, Markov 1st

Lecavalier.

And sadly, this smacks of Bob doing what Carbo was unable to do. Kovy was playing with an air of entitlement - he could do anything, or in this case nothing, and not get benched. I think that was rubbing off on the others. If Kovy can do it and have nothing happen to him, then why not me. Well, Gainey is doing it.

And if that's true? Not a great comment on Carbo.

However, that's all just circumstantial guessing.

And sadly, this smacks of Bob doing what Carbo was unable to do. Kovy was playing with an air of entitlement - he could do anything, or in this case nothing, and not get benched. I think that was rubbing off on the others. If Kovy can do it and have nothing happen to him, then why not me. Well, Gainey is doing it.

Not the same impact.

Carbo benching Kov = Kov around the team and bitching around => Avery with Dallas factor

Bob telling Kov to STAY HOME = Kov disgruntled at home and team playing its ass off. => Avery off Dallas factor

(I'm not comparing Kovalev with Avery at all, just using the Avery factor as an analogy of the effect of such decisions)

Great move. Bob has correctly identified the obvious, namely that Kovalev is the single biggest problem the Habs have. Whether this move is designed simply to remove a cancer from the locker room; or to humiliate Kovalev and demonstrate that the team will not tolerate his BS; or genuinely to rest him up; or as a prelude to a deal - it's all good.

As far as I'm concerned, if we get high picks for Kovalev, that's really just fine. The guy has been a sulky piece of crap for most of the season and he's an impending UFA - what have we got to lose?

I thought that too, but it is probably more to do with the relationship between Bob and Kovy. I'm sure Carbo and Bob have spent some time discussing stuff like that. Still it does look like a decision the coach should be making.

And is it not interesting that Bob won't let him play in the two games Kovy would like.. .His old Pitts team, and against Ovechkin. Talk about getting called out.

Let's hope this works and Kovy comes back hard to prove he still has it. It should also light a fire under the rest of the team...

I also like sending little #### down.. note that Gainey said it was at the request of the coaching staff... so my guess is that Gainey met with the coaches and Carbo asked for all this. He probably made it clear to Gainey that there was nothing Carbo could do, Gainey had to send the message. I like it...

It's Bob sending a couple of messages to both Kovalev AND CARBO.

Does Kovalev have a NTC? If so maybe it's a way to let Kovalev know he could be shipped out..... ie he won't waive it so we'll sit him till he does kind of thinking...

I'm not saying that's whats happening, but at least Bob did something :clap:

Note to Carbo: Grow a pair!

And is it not interesting that Bob won't let him play in the two games Kovy would like.. .His old Pitts team, and against Ovechkin. Talk about getting called out.

thats the part that kinda makes no sense to me - two games where Kovy might actually show some trade value to other gms.

It's not necessary to showcasw Kovy. Every GM in the league knows what they will get from him. Total Brilliance and domination sometimes. Other times not so much. I think the best suitor in the NHL for Kovy is the Penguins. They need a winger. The problem is, I don't see them giving up Staal to get him.

Well Bob says he has no interest of re-signing Kovalev and that the situation will be re-assessed in 48 hours. In other words, Kovy's going to Phoenix... but will we want Morris after bringing in Schneider?

Kovy got benched more than once by Carbo: no results. After that, you're not gonna see the coach just scratch the guy as if he was any other player. Not with players with Kovy's magnitude. Carbo scratches Kovy and in half-a-minute you'll have Kovy's agent calling up Bob asking for a trade. That's not how you deal with players like this.

Telling Kovy to go home and rest is exactly how you do it. Leaves Gainey with some leverage in possible trade talks, something he wouldnt have if Kovy was straight up scratched by the coach.

Get it?