Artest Done

Fanpuck33_

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1928540

Artest is done for the regular season, Stephen Jackson got 30 games, and Jermaine O'Neill got 25 games.

If you ask me, O'Neill and Jackson should not have their suspensions overlap. It is fine to punish the players, but why should the whole Pacers team be punished? Losing these three guys for 25 games is devastating. No team can expect to win many games without their 3 best players. They'd at least have a chance if Miller, Foster, and Bender were healthy.

[Edited on 11-22-04 by Fanpuck33]

[Edited on 2004-12-30 by puck7x]

Artest deserved his suspension, simply because he's shown the tendency to act out of line. This is what, his 7th or 8th strike?

As for Jackson and O'Neill, theirs are ridiculous. In previous instances where players struck people in the stands, Rodman got 11 games and Maxwell got 10 games. Jackson's should be similar to those, and O'Neill shouldn't have got much at all. The fan he hit was on the court threatening his teammates.

I don't blame the players for their actions but I can understand the league stance...they have to be tough on these things. The fans involved should not be allowed to ever purchase tickets again either...not taking any action against the fans that were involved will only show these types of fans that they can get away with it. I'd like to know if they have any plans for these fans specifically. At least they plan on resolving it for the future...according to Stern: The NBA also has to "redefine the bounds of acceptable conduct for fans attending our games and resolve to permanently exclude those who overstep those bounds," Stern said.

I don't blame the players for their actions

That's because you're a moron.

"We have to make the point that there are boundaries in our games," Stern said. "One of our boundaries, that have always been immutable, is the boundary that separate the fans from the court. Players cannot lose control and move into the stands."

"Mr. Jackson was well into the stands, and certainly anyone who watched any television this weekend understood he wasn't going in as a peacemaker," Stern said. "Jermaine, I think it's fair to say, exceeded any bounds of peacemaking with the altercation with the fan in which he was involved.

- David Stern, TSN

I also read that quote which, like mine, was in the original article linked at the beginning of the thread. Like I said, I understand the stance the league has to take...but I still don't blame players who are physically assaulted fighting back.

My opinion is that the players shouldn't have to take crap from the fans...and I have no sympathy for fans that cross the line.

<i>That's because you're a moron. </i>

Another winning statement from Ribeiro. I tell you, the man can't be beat when he gets in an argument.

On another note, it seems as though the players association is going to fight the suspensions, not a big surprise really. Anyone think they will get the suspensions reduced?

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1928540

Artest is done for the regular season, Stephen Jackson got 30 games, and Jermaine O'Neill got 25 games.

If you ask me, O'Neill and Jackson should not have their suspensions overlap.  It is fine to punish the players, but why should the whole Pacers team be punished?  Losing these three guys for 25 games is devastating.  No team can expect to win many games without their 3 best players.  They'd at least have a chance if Miller, Foster, and Bender were healthy.

[Edited on 11-22-04 by Fanpuck33]

Maybe O'Neal and Jackson should have thought about that before beating on those fans. They're adults, they should be response for their actions.

Did you not see O'Neal punch out that fan who was just standing there? That was disgusting. He should be banned along with Artest.

[Edited on 2004/11/30 by Leafs Suck]

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Did you not see O'Neal punch out that fan who was just standing there? That was disgusting. He should be banned along with Artest.

The fan had just threatened Artest, he was not "just standing there." And what was he doing on the court anyway? He wasn't there to say, "hi." He was there to try and take on the Pacers players. The asshole got what he deserved. When fans go on the court to threaten players, they should have the right to defend themselves. If you think the fan was innocent, you are crazy.