Habs @ Penguins | Game Thread

Fanpuck33

They showed character. They came back many time in this game and the last goal

from Pittsburg was a knife in the heart. A blast 45 seconds after hope of a comeback.

Some people didn't like Koivu effort well he still plays on one foot and two games in two night are really

tough on a guy who faced more physical adversity than any other player in that team.

Proof is that his line was -9 last night. But he is not the only player on that line. Higgins and D'Ago

didn't play good defense either.

He still managed to win 14 face off and lost only four.

Note: Habs are still in playoffs position, no firesale required, wounded players will come back and we'll

still meet the Bruins in the first round and defeat them.

Well, I don't know about your last sentence, but I tend to agree with the gist of your post. I think people aren't looking at the big picture, just the results. Last night's loss was partly the result of a brutal travel schedule; the players were exhausted. It happens to every team at some point. Yet they still charged back in the 3rd, the second night in a row where they've refused to throw in the towel despite falling behind. The team also seems to be getting a grip on shots against - they finally kept the opposition to less than 30 shots last night, for instance. Key useless turds like Kostitsyn and Plekanec seem to be ratcheting up their games. Price appears to be getting something of a grip. This is what happens when you're trying to claw your way out of a long slump. You can't just turn on a switch and start winning.

Tanguay is coming back, that will help. And frankly Latendresse was contributing a lot more than people realized. (Of course, the irreplaceable loss is Lang - nothing we can do about that except hope that Pleks finally pulls his stick out of his ass and starts playing ^^&%$^&%* hockey).

What pisses me off is not the last two losses but the fact that these players allowed the situation to get so horrible that these two losses seem like the apocalypse. It never, ever should have been this way, but that's water under the bridge now.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And frankly Latendresse was contributing a lot more than people realized.

I'm a Lats supporter and even I started to realize he was bringing in more than I used to think. He's become the team's most reliable LW in all 3 zones. Even better than Higgins (who's a dismal -8 since he came back from injury) and he's one of the few wingers we had who could actually win a 1-on-1 battle along the boards in our zone. No wonder Carbo used the Lats-Laps-Kosto line as the checking line against the other team's #1 line: they were the only one who could do the job. In all the dissapointments of the current season, Lats & Laps are a rare bright spot.

Can't wait for Tangs & Lats to come back. Should inject a good dose of seriousness into this lineup.

If Koivu isn't joining the rush, then you'd expect him to at least play some sort of cover. It's really nice that he is trying and battling through injuries, as he has done all his career. It ain't working, he can't keep up. He's not the only guy on the line, but he is nonetheless on the line.

It is great to see the life return in the team. The Western games were almost unwatchable.

We play 'great' and lose two of two, one to a decidedly average Pitts team (no shame in the Caps game). The Bruins sleepwalk their way through us for easy wins. There is no way this team beats them in the playoffs.

If Koivu isn't joining the rush, then you'd expect him to at least play some sort of cover. It's really nice that he is trying and battling through injuries, as he has done all his career. It ain't working, he can't keep up. He's not the only guy on the line, but he is nonetheless on the line.

I can't stand to watch Koivu anymore. Reminds me of Corson's 2nd stint or Linden... The guy has good intentions, but he just can't keep up. You see Dago flying down the wing and Higgins driving the net and it looks like the Habs are on the PK because the 3rd forward is nowhere in sight. Or Saku is always beaten to the puck and all he can do is poke check. Or Saku has the puck along the board but doesnt have the agility to beat defenders one-on-one anymore so he either caughts up the puck after getting nailed to the boards; or he has to get rid of the puck by giving it to the other team...

It's painful because he could do so much more before. Turn defensemen inside out and hang unto the puck long enough to feed an opened linemate. Looks like leg injuries & age have got the best of him. He injured both knees, groin, eye, foot. All in all he missed 284 games in 12 seasons, that's the equivalent of 3 seasons on the IR. Sad.

I can't stand to watch Koivu anymore. Reminds me of Corson's 2nd stint or Linden... The guy has good intentions, but he just can't keep up. You see Dago flying down the wing and Higgins driving the net and it looks like the Habs are on the PK because the 3rd forward is nowhere in sight. Or Saku is always beaten to the puck and all he can do is poke check. Or Saku has the puck along the board but doesnt have the agility to beat defenders one-on-one anymore so he either caughts up the puck after getting nailed to the boards; or he has to get rid of the puck by giving it to the other team...

It's painful because he could do so much more before. Turn defensemen inside out and hang unto the puck long enough to feed an opened linemate. Looks like leg injuries & age have got the best of him. He injured both knees, groin, eye, foot. All in all he missed 284 games in 12 seasons, that's the equivalent of 3 seasons on the IR. Sad.

I have always support saku but even i will say he has not looked good lately but then again who the hell has?

I'm a Lats supporter and even I started to realize he was bringing in more than I used to think. He's become the team's most reliable LW in all 3 zones. Even better than Higgins (who's a dismal -8 since he came back from injury) and he's one of the few wingers we had who could actually win a 1-on-1 battle along the boards in our zone. No wonder Carbo used the Lats-Laps-Kosto line as the checking line against the other team's #1 line: they were the only one who could do the job. In all the dissapointments of the current season, Lats & Laps are a rare bright spot.

Can't wait for Tangs & Lats to come back. Should inject a good dose of seriousness into this lineup.

I am not so in love with lats.. he has been a solid 3rd liner, nothing more. He would certainly help right now, but he is not the savior either.

This team is hurt far more by the loss of Tanguay, Lang, Koivu, and Kovalev. Two are injured, two are just missing in action.

when tanguay went down, we could make up for it (Lang), but we are just down too many right now. When you realize how bad Koivu is playing, you are essentially stuck wiht AK, Pleks (not that great this year) and some rookies as your top players. What do we expect? These guys would be on the 3rd line in Boston...

Now if Kovy was playing at his top form, Tanguay was back, Koivu was at least decent, then we would be playing a little over 500, imo. Not cup contenders, but not this bad either.

I think the key lesson for people on this board is to not put so much stock in the young guns. when a team is flying, the young ones often thrive, but they can't carry a team on their own, and they can't make up for the vets sucking.

We need a few proven top guys (Vinny is the best example, but their are others) as a core for these youth to play behind and learn from. Even Pleks is not good enough to carry this team. Koivu was, 5 years ago. Kovy can be, but isn't.

Seriously.. compare our lineup (as it sits the last 2 weeks) with most teams in the league right now... we look more comparable to the Leafs then the Caps, Pens, etc.

How has Koivu not been decent? He's the guy who's wearing number 11 you know. I'm in shock of how many people seem to ignore him when he's out there working hard and creating offense nightly.

Last 2 games... minus 3, zero points. Talk about creating offense.

Face it, he has lost a step and is at best a struggling 2nd liner.

Edited by brobin

How has Koivu not been decent? He's the guy who's wearing number 11 you know. I'm in shock of how many people seem to ignore him when he's out there working hard and creating offense nightly.

I think you're mistaking "working hard" with "having to give your all just to get anything simple done"...

Saku is 34 and on pace for his lowest points total in 10 years. As far as I'm concerned, he went over the hill last season and now he's on an increasingly fast downhill slope to retirement.