NHL 2005, OR NHL 2K5??

habsfan88

I haven't played NHL 2k5, but I can tell you about NHL 2005. If you liked NHL 2004, you will initially despise NHL 2005. After playing 2 seasons, however, the game has grown on me, and I now love it. After turning down the pass assist, passing became much better, and I could actually make good passes. Gameplay is a lot tougher, and my scores are normally just like real NHL scores, no 15-2 scores or anything like that. There is indeed no create a player, but the rest of the game is pretty good.

You should rent the NHL titles to test them yourself though, reading about them doesn't tell you the whole story. I'd also try Gretzky NHL 2005 from 989 sports. I've hated their titles for the PS2, but they redesigned the game this year totally I heard. Back on the PSOne, 989 Sports hockey games were the best on the market.

Guest Biff Malibu

I would disagree. The gameplay in ESPN is the closest to real hockey that you can get. You can't just fly down the wing and rip a shot expecting to score ala EA.

IMO if you prefer gameplay over graphics, definitely go with ESPN, and vice versa.

Like FanPuck said, try them both out and decide which one you like better. The price of ESPN's game is a definate advantage.

By the way, if you have NHL2005 for PC, you can create players via NHLView which is a roster tool that you can download at www.doubleminor.net. If you have it for a console, then you're stuck.

You obviously haven't played EA's 2005 title, as it is now nearly impossible to just fly anywhere, let a lone down the wing. Most of the time that you try that you'll get hammered. As long as you turn pass assist off on EA, I think the gameplay is excellent. The controls aren't as good as last years, but it's still great for gameplay. I have yet to find the "easy goal spot" for the first time ever, which makes games so much more fun.