Who should the Habs re-sign?

As the debacle of the 100th Anniversary season unfolds, it's probably already time to look ahead. Gainey will have his work cut out for him, given all the RFAs and UFAs. Three questions here, of which the first is most important:

-who should he re-sign?

-At what rate?

-who do you think will be willing to re-sign?

It's easy to say 'cut 'em all loose,' but you actually have to have players on your roster. A really sophisticated reply would give some thoughts on how to *replace* the players you'd drop.

Habs UFAs:

-Bouillon

-Brisebous

-Dandenault

-Koivu

-Komisarek

-Kostopolous

-Kovalev

-Lang

-Schneider

-Tanguay

Habs RFAs:

-D'Agostini

-Higgins

-Latendresse

-Plekanec

Who do we keep? Who do we lose? Why? Discuss!

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Cube: There is no room left for a defenceman like Boullion. Our Back End is fairly stacked. Let him walk

Breeze: I think it's time for him to hang the skates up and call it a career..it was a good run

Dandyflower: Dont let the door hit you on the way out....he asks for a trade and he can't be utilized in a D or O role on the team anymore...plus hes aging

Koivu: From 1996-2009 he has not got this team past the 2nd round of the playoffs....he has had some marginal at best linemates over the years...I thank him for his service wearing a CH, but I think it would be best to let him walk to a team like Minnesota

Komisarek: Despite his subpar season thus far, I think Komisarek is the backbone of the Canadiens blueline for years to come and I like how much of a character he is in the dressing room...sign him to a 3 year deal.

Kosto: I say resign tom the bomb to a 1 yr deal...him stewart and metropolit can be a good shut down energy line

Kovy: Well he's due for a good season since he's stinking it up bigtime this year...ink him to a 2 year deal...throw the C on him...and see what he can really do with the pressure of not dueling with Saku

Lang: We all know that a player is never the same after a achilles injury (see chips). Also the only reason Lang looked good this season is because everybody else was just THAT bad.

Schneider: in the past few games I have seen him get beat on raw speed....I would give him a 1 year deal and put him in a 5-6 spot role only for PP purposes.

Tanguay: If he wants the big money contract then let him walk...he hasn't done much this season and has proven that he is injury prone.

RFAs:

Diago: Match any offer sheet this guy is the real deal!

Higgins: Dont sign him to a 30 goal scorer contract...give him a 2 year contract and put him in a 3rd line role with Lats and Laps

Latendresse: His game really did come around before he got injured. I'm still very optimistic that his size and goal scoring hasn't been utilized to its fullest yet...give him 2 more years to establish himself...I think he could score 25-30 next season.

Turtleneck: Well...he lacks size...he cant score much...and he isn't all that good on faceoffs. I say let another team scoop him up and find another 2nd line centre.

Next Season is NOT our season. There really is not much out there UFA wise and Marian Hossa is not the answer. I say wait it out and make next year a rebuilding season...let the rookies establish themselves. In 2010 really load up with some big name signings. A big name centre is a MUST. Our D corps will be loaded come 2010...Markov, Komisarek, Emelin, Hamrlik, Subban, Gorges, Obyrne, McDonagh. Up front Diago and MaxPax can only get better...Bring sergei back up and let him find his game with andrei...I really think they can turn out to be like the sedin twins. Kovalev I want resigned only because I find that he always plays better with the C on his chest. The Habs gave Saku 13 seasons to prove himself...I think it's worth giving Kovy 2 more seasons to show MTL what he's really made of. There really isn't a why to it...everything I've mentioned is pretty much self explanatory. The Canadiens would have a lot of cap space that would make it possible to accommodate a big name first line centre that they have been lacking since the early 1990's!

Edited by l<OV4L3V

Habs UFAs:

Keep:

1. Komisarek
  2. Tanguay
  3. Lang
  4. Kostopolous
  5. Schneider
Lose

1. Koivu
  2. Kovalev
  3. Bouillon
  4. Dandenault
Promote to coaching staff

1. Brisebois

I don't know for you, but the last thing I wanna see is Brisebois teaching his skills to our Dmen...

Keep:

UFAS: Koivu (if at a reduced salary), Komisarek, Kostopolous, Schneider (also at a reduced salary - 1-year) and Tanguay

RFAS: Qualify them all, but let Higgins walk if he expects too much.

Habs need to keep the young guys for certain as this is a team that has been growing together through junior, training camp, minors, AHL, etc. Gainey definitely has his work cut out for him though.

Keep:

-Koivu

-Komisarek

-Kostopolous

-Tanguay

-D'Agostini

-Higgins (if he can have an 82-game season, I think we would see the player we expect)

-Latendresse

-Plekanec

Lose:

-Kovalev (I prefer Tanguay's consistency over Kovy's skill)

-Bouillon

-Brisebois

-Dandenault

-Lang (I would keep him for $2M)

-Schneider (see Lang, but lots of blueline prospects means he probably won't be needed next season)

I wouldn't assume Breezy is a bad coach because he is not the best player. Most of the top coaches were players, but not good ones. :)

Just having a guy with 18 years experience playing Defense focused on it will help. Having him teach Komi how to walk the line to take a shot would be nice. How about showing guys how to make a pass. :)

Keep:

- Koivu (at a reduced rate, preferable 3.5)

- Komi (after this season he should not be able to demand anything above 4)

- Lang (if he heals up okay, give him one year at 3)

- Tanguay (at least 3 years at 4 million would be nice)

- D'Agostini

- Higgins

- Latendresse

- Plekanec

- Schneider (one year deal at a reduced price, but not too low because I'm sure other teams would take him)

- Kosto (give him another 2 years. Ideal 4th line player)

Lose:

- Kovalev (I love him and when he's on he's one of the league's best, but he's too much of a headache and I don't want his habits rubbing off on the young guys)

- Dandenault (I love love to keep him as depth but I think he is too proud for that)

- Bouillon (I really like the Cube's checking game but it's going to be too crowded on the blue line in the coming years)

- Brisebois (let him retire and join the coaching staff, he is upgraded by Schneider

Attempt to aquire:

1. Pronger

2. Bouwmeester

3. Hossa

Well, since it's going to be nigh on impossible to get anyone to willingly come into this atmosphere and culture, then I suggest we resign those who want to play for the Habs, because otherwise we could be in big trouble. ;)

I would keep:

--------------------------

-Komisarek

-Tanguay

-D'Agostini

-Higgins

-Latendresse

-Plekanec

Lose:

-Bouillon

-Brisebous

-Dandenault

-Kovalev

-Schneider

Unlikely; re-sign ONLY under special circumstances (for example if we're shortcanged and can't get quality guys to sign here):

- Lang IF he's looking fully healed, which I have serious doubts about with his age and this type of injury OR

- Koivu IF he'll take a reduced role and a reduced salary, he can keep the C though

Only one of the above though, preferrably Lang. On the back side, I know that means cutting half of our D-men loose, but like most, I'm really unhappy with how our D has been playing, and am in favor of seeing what guys like O'Byrne and Weber can do for us next year, in addition to adding a second-pairing guy through FA.

Edited by redondo

Lang and Koivu's fate will probably resides on Gainey being able to land Lecavalier. If Vinny comes without Plex being dealt away, Koivu & Lang are gone. Lapierre won the 3rd line spot, and I'm guessing next season Maxwell & Chips will fight for the 4th line spot.

For the wingers, you've got Patches & Lats who are probably the only two long term certainties right now. Higgins, AKost, Dago, SKost: any of them could be used as trade bait. So that also makes the status of Kovy & Tangs iffy. I'm guessing Kosto is a lock to re-sign, unless he gets greedy.

I wouldn't assume Breezy is a bad coach because he is not the best player. Most of the top coaches were players, but not good ones. :)

Just having a guy with 18 years experience playing Defense focused on it will help. Having him teach Komi how to walk the line to take a shot would be nice. How about showing guys how to make a pass. :)

I don't assume that Breezy would be a bad coach, but why not a better Dman as a coach, let's just say Schneider for example.

I don't assume that Breezy would be a bad coach, but why not a better Dman as a coach, let's just say Schneider for example.

From what I've heard, Schneider is a nice guy but not the sharpest tool in the drawer. Doubt he has what it takes to be a good teacher.

Habs UFAs:

Keep:

1. Komisarek
  2. Tanguay
  3. Lang
  4. Kostopolous
  5. Schneider
Lose

1. Koivu
  2. Kovalev
  3. Bouillon
  4. Dandenault
Promote to coaching staff

1. Brisebois

I mostly agree with you.

with the "side note" that Koivu AND Kovalev can come back, if it's in an extremely reduced role. I wouldn't mind my 3rd line to be Kovalev and Koivu at 2M each... just like Carolina had Weight and Recchi I think. :P

Of all our aged players, Schneider and Lang come before Koivu and Kovalev. :s

Keep:

1. Komisarek

2. Tanguay

The rest can walk, but not all of them. It just depends what the team needs moving forward. If we can improve ourselves in certain areas by other means, then that might make certain guys more or less valuable.

I'd assume we'd want to keep one of the UFA C's (Koivu or Lang). But I don't know if we should automatically keep one over the other. Lang is older, is coming off a major injury although he was productive. Saku is younger, has been a habs lifer and still has good qualities although he's not the player he once was.

Kovalev I wouldn't bring back under any circumstance... he's a 36 year old inconsistent offensive player who is slow. His skills are deteriorating, and he was never a hugely dominant force to begin with.

Kostopolous can be kept and even given a raise. But he's not irreplaceable, he's just a good foot soldier. I'd almost be tempted to not bring him back if Carbo is still the coach so he can't keep playing him more than Andrei Kostitsyn.

Schneider being brought back... boy, I don't know what kind of salary he's looking for and I hope we can get a younger puckmover from the UFA pile.

Say no to Bouillon and Brisebois. I think Dandenault has gotten the raw deal currently and hope he does well playing D for another NHL team.

As for the RFA's, it's not so much whether you keep them or not (you obviously try and sign them, they're your players), it's about what kind of commitment you're willing to make to them.

Plekanec and Higgins - both are one year away from UFA eligibility. The key here is whether you're willing to pay them like they are UFA's and give them a long term deal. Even though he has struggled this year, I'd give Plekanec a good deal. I hope we can get him some help and not give him the job of keeping Kovalev happy in the future. So a 4 year deal to Plekanec at $3m-$4m per year (I'm not sure what he will get in reality). Higgins I wouldn't give a long term deal to... I'd take him to arbitration to get a one year deal done if neccesary. For guys like these, they either take a one year deal or 4-6 year deals. There aren't many that sign a 2-3 year deal... they'll go unrestricted instead.

D'Agostini, Stewart and Latendresse - give them 2 to 3 year deals like what Lapierre/Gorges/O'Byrne got last year.

I would keep:

Kovy - at no more than the 4.5M he's making right now

Tanguay - at around the same as he's making now, hopefully 5M

Kostopoulos - at about the same 900K he's making now

Lang - at 1-2M + bonuses

Schneider - at 1-2M, bonuses if need be

Komisarek - hopefully no more than 5M though he'll probably get better offers and I think we'll be forced to match

& maybe:

Brisebois - if he signs for a similar amount and we don't want to give the 7th D spot to a rookie (for any of a few reasons)

Koivu - if Kovalev is unwilling to come back - for 3-3.5M

Walking:

Bouillon - his spot is filled by one of the young d-men

Dandenault - his spot is filled by Stewart who's looking like a good 4th line/depth option at forward

maybe Koivu and Brisebois, depending on who else we manage to keep/get

I would be in favour of re-signing all of the RFA though D'Agostini may lose his spot to Sergei whether at training camp or mid-season.

If Koivu walks, I'd intend to make a package involving Higgins (and likely Chipchura) to bring in a decent 1st line centre below 30.

Koivu will be resigned. I don't know why everyone wants him out here.

If anything, Gainey constantly wants a face-off guy on the team at all cost and Koivu still brings more then just that, so it's easy to figure that he will be given an offer to stick around. I think it's a waste of time to speak hypothetically and throw the guy a bone in your off season moves. The only reason he won't wear a Habs jersey next year will be if he walks. If he walks it won't be to The Wild either like everyone here thinks, It will be Buffalo. He is not going anywhere.

Hey Koivu, If you read these forums, don't listen to these fools. ^_^

Koivu will be resigned. I don't know why everyone wants him out here.

If anything, Gainey constantly wants a face-off guy on the team at all cost and Koivu still brings more then just that, so it's easy to figure that he will be given an offer to stick around. I think it's a waste of time to speak hypothetically and throw the guy a bone in your off season moves. The only reason he won't wear a Habs jersey next year will be if he walks. If he walks it won't be to The Wild either like everyone here thinks, It will be Buffalo. He is not going anywhere.

Hey Koivu, If you read these forums, don't listen to these fools. ^_^

Why does it make one a fool?

By the way, I do think he's going to walk of his own free will, whether we want him back or not. He'd choose Rivet or Mikko? Maybe...

Keep:

- Koivu (at a reduced rate, preferable 3.5)

- Komi (after this season he should not be able to demand anything above 4)

- Lang (if he heals up okay, give him one year at 3)

- Tanguay (at least 3 years at 4 million would be nice)

- D'Agostini

- Higgins

- Latendresse

- Plekanec

- Schneider (one year deal at a reduced price, but not too low because I'm sure other teams would take him)

- Kosto (give him another 2 years. Ideal 4th line player)

Lose:

- Kovalev (I love him and when he's on he's one of the league's best, but he's too much of a headache and I don't want his habits rubbing off on the young guys)

- Dandenault (I love love to keep him as depth but I think he is too proud for that)

- Bouillon (I really like the Cube's checking game but it's going to be too crowded on the blue line in the coming years)

- Brisebois (let him retire and join the coaching staff, he is upgraded by Schneider

Attempt to aquire:

1. Pronger

2. Bouwmeester

3. Hossa

Pronger and/or Bouweester are just not possible in a salary cap world. Assuming Komisarek get's signed to a hefty raise, that leaves us with high priced Markov and Hamrlik as well. You can't have over 20 million tied up with 4 defencemen. To further complicate this, as well all know, the cap is expected to decrease.