Hammer and Komisarek: the two keys?

Reading extracts from Gainey's post-game remarks, he suggested that the habs are struggling in their own end because some of the defencemen they rely on to be shut-down guys are just not doing the job.

In other words: Hamrlik and Komisarek are just plain sucking ass.

If we have a single biggest problem, surely this would be it?

What's going on there? Is it possible that Komisarek really was broken by Lucic? That he used to think he was the baddest dude in town and he's been whipped, and is now like a beta dog with his tail between his legs? Has anyone ever seen anything like that happen in hockey? Just wondering.

As for Hammer, did he just get old suddenly, or is he hurt, or are his mob connections distracting him? Hamrlik was the single biggest reason our D stabilized last season. And he is a big reason why it has destabilized this season.

Speculation welcome. Because without these guys, our back end is hurtin' big time. (The 'good' news: IF they can get it together, it might make a real difference).

What's going on there? Is it possible that Komisarek really was broken by Lucic? That he used to think he was the baddest dude in town and he's been whipped, and is now like a beta dog with his tail between his legs? Has anyone ever seen anything like that happen in hockey? Just wondering.

Yeah... I doubt that.

10$ that once the Habs are eliminated (or win the SC....) Komi goes under surgery.

yah i agree, his played has dropped off too much post injury for their not to be something wrong.

Yeah, I've been thinking for a while now that these two guys are the biggest reason for our struggles. Frankly, if Komi needs surgery, I'd rather he just went under the knife right away (a while ago) then continue to be so shakey out there. I hope we're overvaluing Lucic's role in all of this.

Yeah, I've been thinking for a while now that these two guys are the biggest reason for our struggles. Frankly, if Komi needs surgery, I'd rather he just went under the knife right away (a while ago) then continue to be so shakey out there. I hope we're overvaluing Lucic's role in all of this.

I don't think there's any chance that he started sucking because he's ashamed he lost a fight. It probably has a lot to do with his injury though.

If he's really injured, then why has he been playing? And playing a lot of minutes?

It just makes no sense to me.

Before the final goal, Komi had the chance to absolutely drill Zach Parise, the Devils' best player, and he simply tried to poke check him. Had him lined up and everything. Then he was caught in no man's land when Zajac passed it in front for the one timer.

And if Komi is just not accepting surgery because it might affect his UFA value... boy, that's a really selfish of him.

I think it has tons more to do with the fact the defence can't get the puck out of their own zone. That first pass was made last year, up the side, second pass and we were in the other teams zone and motoring towards their net. This year, it's defence gets the puck, looks up the ice...see's all the forwards past the red line, passes back to defense partner, or makes a errant long pass which rarely connects. When the puck is passed to the other defenceman, that gives tons of time for the other teams forecheckers to get up on the D and they rush the puck, give it away.

Reading extracts from Gainey's post-game remarks, he suggested that the habs are struggling in their own end because some of the defencemen they rely on to be shut-down guys are just not doing the job.

In other words: Hamrlik and Komisarek are just plain sucking ass.

If we have a single biggest problem, surely this would be it?

As for Hammer, did he just get old suddenly, or is he hurt, or are his mob connections distracting him? Hamrlik was the single biggest reason our D stabilized last season. And he is a big reason why it has destabilized this season.

Speculation welcome. Because without these guys, our back end is hurtin' big time. (The 'good' news: IF they can get it together, it might make a real difference).

first part of the problem is relying on someone.

I'll make a parallel with a goalie - skater situation :

you play as a team. will you let the guy go on a breakaway because you rely on your goalie? or will you try your best to kill the breakaway?

then, if all you attempts to stop the breakaway fail, then you hope that your goalie will do the job. that's in last resort.