The UFA Clean House Challenge

Peter Puck

A number of people here think Gainey is doing a lousy job managing our UFA's. They want to clean house and make wholesale changes over the summer by signing a new crop of UFA's. I'm looking at you Chris and at you marty_and_komi among others.

I think our UFA's are mostly better than anything we can expect to replace them with.

So who are the good UFA's out there you plan to get to replace all of our current UFA's? You've got 25 million to spend once we release all our UFA's.

You will need to repace 2 centres (Koivu, Lang), 3 wingers (Kovalev, Tanguay, Kostopoulos) and 4 Dmen (Komisarek, Bouillion, Brisebois, Dandenault, Schneider).

Here is a good list of UFA's. I am not very impressed with the available talent but you are. So suggest who you would sign and for how much. But ... remember only 1 out of 4 will be willing to sign here. Don't just say Boumeester - he's probably going home to the west. If you want to sign a right winger don't just say Gaborik you need to list at leasty 4 right wingers so we have a reasonable chance to sign one. And your plan should allow for the top 2 right wingers on your list to reject us - we may have to settle for the 3rd or 4th best available.

Edited: corrected (silly) mistake of listing Lapierre as a UFA

Edited by Peter Puck

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok

D men

Boumeester

Morris

Komi

If 1 signs

you have

Boumeester Markov

Weber Hamrlik

O'Byrne Gorges Emelin That 's 7 D.

1. Camalari (plays all 3 forwars positions)

2. Gaborik

3. Tanguay

4. Neil

You are left with

Higgins Camalari Gabprik

Pacioretty Pleks AK46

Lats Lapierre (isn't ufa) D'Agi

Stewart Metropolit Laraque

SK74 extra

If they could get Neil or resign Kosto they couls have the third line RW.

I like that line up alot more. More skill, talent, speed and size.

thing is, we already know what Tanguay, Komi, Kosto can bring us... so they are better options than the "question marks on the UFA" no matter who they are, unless they ask as much or more.

My priorities are

Tanguay

Komi (if he's asking for more than 4-4.5M, he is not a priority)

Bouwmee

Lang

Gabo - Hossa - Havlat

Kosto

Schneider

Aucoin - Morris - Mara (if komi didn't sign)

Laperriere - Neil

Reinprecht

A number of people here think Gainey is doing a lousy job managing our UFA's. They want to clean house and make wholesale changes over the summer by signing a new crop of UFA's. I'm looking at you Chris and at you marty_and_komi among others.

I think our UFA's are mostly better than anything we can expect to replace them with.

So who are the good UFA's out there you plan to get to replace all of our current UFA's? You've got 25 million to spend once we release all our UFA's.

Primo:Most experts and insiders in the league are scratching their heads regarding Gainey's management...Maybe he's been ordered by Gillett to clear some space...

as for some of his moves: Souray and streit gone for nothing, Samsonov was a failure...as was Audette in Dallas when BG signed him...Looks like Bob as a problem with smallish right handed wingers :lol:

Secundo: Perhaps many you see our UFAs through rose coloured glasses and and overhype them a little bit instead of looking at what other teams do.

If you read another post I just wrote you'll that I'm trying to keep many of our UFAS but not necessarely the populars, aging, unproductive ones.

To manage the team you need to look at it coldly. Don't let warm feelings come in play. For us fans it's Hard to do.

1st of all: try to get Lecavalier since it's rumoured that it was so close in december. better the deal a little and BOOM, we have the perfect fit for man of our problems.

As for the UFA list, I'm not fond of many players besides Franzen and Bouwmeester. Otherwize I think Salvation will come through trades and the hope of seeing our young guns take another step...I'm talking at you Andrei and Sergei!!!

if it doesn't work.

Decisions with our UFAs

Lang over Koivu:[/b] Bigger, rigth handed, doesn't have that big of an Ego and as juice left in the tank while the latter is smallish , with the biggest heart but he's clealry out of gas. That would be the toughest cut to make since he's the teams captain for so ong and has done grand things for the cities. then again as never captain a team over the second round.

Kovalev: GONE!! Great player but needs too much attention for what he brings back. not as fast as used to be and only one good season our of 4.

I would love to Keep Komisarekhere but his agents is a hard ass and he will get his money but elsewhere. I could see him going home gettin and hainsey deal with a terrible team.

I would rather give the money to a guy like Beauchemin who is still young enough to produce, can hit and fight.

he's won the cup and is a local talent . Said he'd listen to an offer so why not ??

I think Tanguay could be had at a fair price if he really wants to stay. 4y/15M.

Kostopoulos: I love the guy but lets not overpay for him: 2y/2M max.

as for cleaning the house, I dont think that losing Brisebois, Schneider,Bouillon and Dandenault will really affect this team. We have depth on D and 4 liners are easy to find. Losing Kovy and koivu could hurt but if we sign Lang and Tangs and AK46 picks up the slack we could be just fine.

Edited by marky_and_komi

Let me say something on Gaborik. I was watching a Minnesota feed the other day. Thye found out that his constant groin problems actually turned out to be a hip problem which has been fixed now. Next year he should completely healthy with out groin injuries.

So he is a supreme goal scoring talent with speed. I would go 5-6 mill with incentives for him.

Let me say something on Gaborik. I was watching a Minnesota feed the other day. Thye found out that his constant groin problems actually turned out to be a hip problem which has been fixed now. Next year he should completely healthy with out groin injuries.

So he is a supreme goal scoring talent with speed. I would go 5-6 mill with incentives for him.

He is said to be asking 9-10 million.

but he's in the mold of Kovy. High maintenance without consistent effort.

My priorities in terms of UFA signings:

- Hossa (I'm surprised people aren't throwing this name around more)

- Gaborik

- Cammalleri

- Franzen

- Havlat

- Bouwmeester

Not sure how many of these will test the market, but anyway.

EDIT: No GM is stupid enough to pay Gaborik 9-10 million. A fair price would be 6 million, and we know there is some GM stupid enough out there to pay 7, maybe 8. I would sign him for 7 at the most. Or maybe 5 or 6, eligible for bonuses if he plays over a certain amount of games a season.

Edited by ForumGhost

Marky and Komi, are sure on Gaborik? Every time i hear things about him on the Minnesota feeds they say he has great work ethic and is a good team mate. The coaches love him when he isn't injured.

He won't get that much he can ask for it but he won't get it. 6-8 with some incentives. I don't think any team with the cap going down will go that high.

Would the media be a problem for Jay Bo? The media seem to leave Markov alone. Generally, if you don't give a good quote they don't even bother asking you questions.

Jay Bo is, however, an Alberta boy and Edmonton is expected to go all in on him. If we're betting on him, it could be a losing battle in that sense. However, he doesn't seem that interested in playing in a southern market anymore. His dad made some comment along the lines of "why does south Florida even have a team?" recently so you think that maybe Jay wants to play in a more "hockey mad" environment. That could mean he wants to play in New Jersey or Denver, though, you never know.

The Sedin's are reportedly asking for 6.5 mill each. That's a centre and winger. They actually know how to cycle the puck and create scoring chances.

Jbo will play in Canada i beleive. He can do his talking on the ice, like Markov.

Marky and Komi, are sure on Gaborik? Every time i hear things about him on the Minnesota feeds they say he has great work ethic and is a good team mate. The coaches love him when he isn't injured.

He won't get that much he can ask for it but he won't get it. 6-8 with some incentives. I don't think any team with the cap going down will go that high.

I could be wrong, i'm not in their locker room. one thing sure though: he's always injured !!

incentives count on the cap however. Thats the problem.

Edited by marky_and_komi

Why can't the habs afford them? That's Koivu, Kovalev, Dandy and Bouillon's salary. I'll take the twins over that bunch any day.

Actually it's wishfull thinking, i would bet they resign with the Canucks or with Burke and the Leafs.

I don't buy that the Habs will dump Koivu. He may not be the elite centre he once was, but he still has the talent to play in the top 6. He's also defensively aware and can kill penalties. Gainey will probably ask him to take a reduced salary, which I'm sure he will accept. He's on the tail end of his career so I don't think making money is on the top of his list of priorities. He will retire a habs.

Edited by ForumGhost

I think the Sedins would be a major catch for anyone who can afford them. We can't.

The Habs are going to have plenty of money to be spenders this off-season. Not counting Schneider (since his cap space came from Lang's LTIR), we have about 26 million coming off the books. Of course hopefully some of that will be used to re-sign a couple guys, but it does give us lots of options.

In terms of RFAs, I don't see us adding a ton of salary. Higgins I don't think will get much of a raise. Plekanec might get something close to Kostitsyn's deal. Latendresse probably won't get a big raise. D'Agostini, Chips, and Stewart will get minimal raises.

Why can't the habs afford them? That's Koivu, Kovalev, Dandy and Bouillon's salary. I'll take the twins over that bunch any day.

Actually it's wishfull thinking, i would bet they resign with the Canucks or with Burke and the Leafs.

The sedins are great players but are they able/willing to elevate their play in post season ??

Beats me.

I know that if you don't make the playoffs raising your level in the playoffs is irrelevant.

Have Kovalev and Koivu elvated there playoff stature? They have taken the team out of the first round once. Thye may not make it 2 out of the last 3 years.

I'll take my chances on the Sundins.

Sorry, Sedins

good point.

I want Steve Yzerman and Mark Messier!

:lol:

you might get the 1st one as a GM reaaaal soon !!

Beats me.

I know that if you don't make the playoffs raising your level in the playoffs is irrelevant.

Have Kovalev and Koivu elvated there playoff stature? They have taken the team out of the first round once. Thye may not make it 2 out of the last 3 years.

I'll take my chances on the Sundins.

Sorry, Sedins

So not interested in the Sedin sisters for this team. Too many soft Euros on this team already

So not interested in the Sedin sisters for this team. Too many soft Euros on this team already

I think the Sedin situation is moot. I'm sure they'll stay in Vancouver. I know I would.

I just can't get into a thread like this, it's pointless. NOBODY wants to sign here. I'm born and raised in Montreal, hell, I'll probably be buried here. I think it's the coolest city in our country, yes they are all cool. But c'mon, the only UFA's we get are 2nd tier players like Hamrlik, and we overpay at that. Then we let Streit go for nothing, we coulda had him for less than Hamrlik. Taxes, climate, media, whatever the excuse. I don't want Bob to waste aviation fuel on helicopter tours of the city this summer, only to be used as a bargaining tool to get a better deal somewhere else. I've heard all the so called experts, with there inside knowledge (ya right) say the the cap is going down, and teams with space will benefit, I just have my doubts.

It's pretty much an accepted fact the cap will decrease. Hockey is not recession proof.

Ya, that I believe, it's the us being at an advantage idea I have a hard time with.