The UFA Clean House Challenge

Peter Puck

I believe that we can sign UFAs. A lot of our unsuccessul pursuits have been a result of simply being outbid. *Some* lame-ass cowards are afraid of the Montreal pressure; but I don't understand why the pressure here is SO much worse than in any other hockey-crazy Canadian market; e.g., Toronto has just as zany a media environment and yet it's considered prime UFA country. (I will grant that the pressure is mostly worse for francophone stars who fear the burden of becoming the Next French Canadian Star). As for non-francophone players, I'd say the main disincentives are:

1 - higher taxes (one reason why we are obliged to 'overpay' - more like 'compensate' for onerous tax rates)

2the Habs' reputation as a crappy, losing team. This is where this disaster of a season desperately hurts us. Had we built on last season with another strong year, dollars to donuts UFAs would be lots more interested.

3 - legal requirements demanding that children, if they use the public system, must send their kids of French schools (this applies to Europeans, Americans, and francophones, not to anglo-Canadians);

4 -and wives and family who are scared of Quebec, thinking that it's 100% French or that English people get tarred and feathered. Say what you like, I guarantee you that this kind of grotesque cultural ignorance is a consideration for a significant percentage of players. Lindros was tip of the iceberg.

3 of these 4 issues are challenges that other franchises don't have to overcome.

Having said all that, 1) can be partly addressed with through compensation; 2) is not unique to us and therefore not potentially fatal; 3) wouldn't bother every player; and 4) wouldn't apply to every player.

So our talent pool is smaller than the rest of the league's, but if I'm right, there *will* be UFAs willing to come here if we make the best offer.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 - higher taxes (one reason why we are obliged to 'overpay' - more like 'compensate' for onerous tax rates)

3 - legal requirements demanding that children, if they use the public system, must send their kids of French schools (this applies to Europeans, Americans, and francophones, not to anglo-Canadians);

4 -and wives and family who are scared of Quebec, thinking that it's 100% French or that English people get tarred and feathered. Say what you like, I guarantee you that this kind of grotesque cultural ignorance is a consideration for a significant percentage of players. Lindros was tip of the iceberg.

3 of these 4 issues are challenges that other franchises don't have to overcome.

Having said all that, 1) can be partly addressed with through compensation; 2) is not unique to us and therefore not potentially fatal; 3) wouldn't bother every player; and 4) wouldn't apply to every player.

So our talent pool is smaller than the rest of the league's, but if I'm right, there *will* be UFAs willing to come here if we make the best offer.

I agree with point 4 a lot. Before I went to Montreal, I was a little worried about comunication. It's not an issue at all. There is a lot of ignorance about Montreal. Westerners just don't know what it is really like there. It is not our fault, it is just a world away. When I went to Montreal, I saw how culturaly diverse and accepting the general population are, and it is now my favourite Canadian city.

Edited by BCHabnut

You know what, that education excuse has always bothered me. There's not a chance that Daniel Briere's children, assuming he has any, will ever see the inside of a Philadelphia public school. Pro athletes send there children to private school. That comes with earning a big-time pay cheque. Here in QC, you want to pay for private school, you child is going, no matter what.

You know what, that education excuse has always bothered me. There's not a chance that Daniel Briere's children, assuming he has any, will ever see the inside of a Philadelphia public school. Pro athletes send there children to private school. That comes with earning a big-time pay cheque. Here in QC, you want to pay for private school, you child is going, no matter what.

Send them punks kisd to col;ege Bourget to learn proper french !!

There are plenty of decent players out there, just most of them are on defense and very few of them are high-end players. If we keep everyone except Kovalev and some of the D depth, I only see us needing a RW and I don't think it'll need to be someone like Hossa or Gaborik.

BTH, you want to keep the D? Thye are the worst combination 6 D in the league. The give up 40 plus shots a game, numerous breakaways, don't cover anyone. I would argue NO D should be resigned.

Vinny isn't going anywhere.

Yeah right !!

I'll make a Mr Burns bet: If Vinny is playing in Tampa 1st game next season I owe you a coke !!

Despite all the claims of Koivu being old, and on his last legs, he was our best player in the playoffs last year, and has done a great job killing penalties this season. He would be a better second line C than Plekanec, who IMO doesn't make anybody around him better. My bet is that they resign Koivu, and use Plek and Higgins in part of a deal that helps them land the Big C.

Pacioretty can take Higgin's spot as a scoring Winger

Pacioretty/PLAYER TRADED FOR/UFA WINGER

Tanguay/Koivu/A. Kost

Latendresse/Lapierre/D'Ago

Stewart/Metropoli or Chips/Kosto

2the Habs' reputation as a crappy, losing team. This is where this disaster of a season desperately hurts us. Had we built on last season with another strong year, dollars to donuts UFAs would be lots more interested.

The only arguement I buy is the higher taxes. The school thing doesn't make since since players can easily afford private schools. I don't think wives and family are so stupid that they won't do a little research on a place before moving there.

Despite all the claims of Koivu being old, and on his last legs, he was our best player in the playoffs last year, and has done a great job killing penalties this season. He would be a better second line C than Plekanec, who IMO doesn't make anybody around him better. My bet is that they resign Koivu, and use Plek and Higgins in part of a deal that helps them land the Big C.

Do you really see Koivu out there making anyone else better? I certainly don't. If you assume they go out and manage to snag a #1 center, then Plekanec is a much better option as the second center. Koivu doesn't bring anything that Plekanec doesn't, and Plekanec is younger, faster, and will be cheaper than Koivu.

There's very little amongst the team's UFA's that should be brought back. There are price limits on both Tanguay and Komisarek that shouldn't be exceeded, and Plekanec has a limit as well. Higgins should be dealt and replacements should be sought for other players from the outside or by promoting other players. This team needs a makeover desperately.

In the UFA Clean House Challenge, look for Saku Koivu to be signed. And furthermore, Bob's not going anywhere. If he was to leave, it'd be his choice. You can disagree with my post all you want, go ahead. But Saku's a big part of the community, and is tight with the ownership. Bob commands huge respect, and has built up a nice group of young cheap players. I firmly believe he gets to hire another coach, and continues on as GM, with alot of work to do this summer.

Edited by Habsy

But Saku's a big part of the community

I don't care if he rescues 10 orphans from a burning building, helps 100 little old ladies cross the street, and spends his spare time delivering meals to shut-ins.....those things are not helping this team on the ice, and they can ill-afford to keep a prominent position in the line-up and the captaincy tied up for a player who's in steep decline. Being a 'good guy' just isn't enough to justify re-signing him.

Edited by sbhatt

But Saku's a big part of the community, and is tight with the ownership.

So does that mean Kovalev should be resigned too? He's got a suite to accommodate sick kids at the Bell centre...does that mean he's not going anywhere? I'm pretty sure Bob and Kovy have a close ties as well...but sometimes you gotta cut some strings loose even though it's painful at first. The Canadiens have to do whats best for the organization in the long term....not cater to players needs. Also, I'd cut Bob loose as well...this non-negotiation process til the end of the season is a hunk of b/s if you ask me.

Edited by l<OV4L3V

a player who's in steep decline.

08/09 - 0.72

07/08 - 0.72

06/07 - 0.93

05/06 - 0.86

03/04 - 0.81

02/03 - 0.87

01/02 - 0.87

There's his PPG average over the last few seasons. Seems it's at the same level this season as it was during the team's fabulous last year when complaints about his play were at their lowest in a decade. Is he on the downside of his career? Absolutely. Is he in steep decline? Thank you Montreal media for your journalistic sensationalism, but it's not quite that extreme.

;)

Now we can all await patiently as Koz and his minions prepare their rebuttle indicating the reason the Habs suck this year, and have sucked for the last decade, is because of one guy.

Also, I'd cut Bob loose as well...this non-negotiation process til the end of the season is a hunk of b/s if you ask me.

this is a no win situation. I have seen many teams torn apart because they were too busy negotiating contracts to play hockey. they get distracted because the gm said they are only worth 3.5 mill instead of 5 million etc etc etc.

Here's what these guys need to think about.... Play better get more money win cup gets lots more money all of these guys will be playing somewhere next year so it's not like they are going to be homeless. The only questions are where and for how much. This can be decided very nicely right after the f ing parade. Bob would be crucified just as much if he was negot during the season. Whether you agree or like it or don't this was a planned exercise. If this team does not win this year there will a lot of going away parties and a bunch of welcoming committees. If this is all it would take for you to fire bob you have little faith.

Stray away from the stats and watch him play - awful, invisible presence. Almost scored on the pp once from a nice feed from Kovalev, aside from that another 'Has he been benched?' night.

Third period faceoffs might be an interesting stat. The whole team looks pathetic though. Koivu isn't the main problem - he's one of several that have to be dealt with.

UFA, overpay for Jay Boowemeister please. :lol:

Isn't Carbo a UFA?

Edited by tokyohabs

I would put Price in Hamilton for the season next year. Sign a veteran goalie to play with Halak. Hopefully a year in the minors will help Price grow.

Koivu and Kovalev must both go away. If last night's Toronto game didn't convince you then nothing will.

Komisarek should be offered a modest contract. If he wants the huge money, he will find it elsewhere.

Offer Tanguay a contract and qualify all RFAs.

Seems it's at the same level this season as it was during the team's fabulous last year when complaints about his play were at their lowest in a decade.

That was two years ago. Koivu was mediocre last year and took plenty of criticism, and just bad this year.