The UFA Clean House Challenge

Peter Puck

Um, Koivu is the best faceoff man on the team. He's hasn't been under 50% since 2002-03.

54.1% - 16th in the league.

How many faceoffs does he win in the offensive on PP....i personally think his % which isnt bad overall hides the fact that he so often loose the important ones...and wins the one with the least importance.

he so rarely wins battles against the boards.....if he doesnt get the puck from faceoff he never gets it back....

I cant stand the fact that he'll be longest captain in CH story past Beliveau.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they just wanted a face off guy for 4-5 mill, thye could get Perrault for dirt cheap. Just put him on to win a draw then he skates off.

Your captain needs to bring more then faceoffs to the table. Especially at his price.

I would put Price in Hamilton for the season next year. Sign a veteran goalie to play with Halak. Hopefully a year in the minors will help Price grow.

Again, Price can't go to the minors anymore. Once a goalie plays 80 NHL games (including playoffs), even if he's still on his rookie deal he must clear waivers to go to the AHL, which will never happen with Price. He'll have to Cam Ward his way through his struggles.

Umm, Ward's team doesn't give up 40 shots a night, doesn't hang him out to dry, and there team shows up for more then 10 minutes a night. Thye score more then 1 goal a game for him as well .

Other then that, yea, i see the comparisan.

Gaborik is looking pretty good after surgery.

4 points tonight and I believe he had 2 the other night in only his 3rd game back. I say Gainey goes for that real hard. I don't want to overpay but I can't figure out why he thinks he can get 8 mil. The guy is a 60-70 point player if you take out last years 40/40 season. How does he figure on the rumored 8 mil?????????

What would you guys pay him?

Again, Price can't go to the minors anymore. Once a goalie plays 80 NHL games (including playoffs), even if he's still on his rookie deal he must clear waivers to go to the AHL, which will never happen with Price. He'll have to Cam Ward his way through his struggles.

I know Price can't be sent to the minors but I am pretty sure he can be placed there in the offseason. As long as he is left there (no call ups).

Can anyone clarify this rule?

4 points tonight and I believe he had 2 the other night in only his 3rd game back. I say Gainey goes for that real hard. I don't want to overpay but I can't figure out why he thinks he can get 8 mil. The guy is a 60-70 point player if you take out last years 40/40 season. How does he figure on the rumored 8 mil?????????

Marian Gaborik has one of the highest goals/game ratios of any player active in the NHL. He is right alongside Heater and Ovie, if not then just slightly below them. His problem is that he is a china doll, but when he gets in the lineup he is a bona fide superstar, and that is WITH playing in Minny under such a defensive system. He may be an 80 point guy over a full season, but 55 of them would be Gs.

$100 000 per game :)

$100 000 per game :)

If only he would be into that.

Let's talk about this. I'm sure things are going to heat up soon, especially if Minny doesn't make the play-offs.

I will admit I don't know much about him except what I read and see on youtube. What blows my mind is all his goals are kind of the same. Wicked! wicked! hands. He's like a snake in the slot, cruises around slowly and never seems to get hit. The way he does it isn't aggressive yet the puck bounces to him undetected and he makes no mistake burying it every-time.

He's fast as hell and hopefully fixed up with surgery. We will not really know if his injuries are behind him so that will be a chance we would take, no sense in really discussing that angle, only time will tell.

Picture him with Tanguay. Deadly. All we need is a relatively good but cheap big hard-nose centre that is smart and we'll have a lethal #1 line.

Now what's his story? Is he done in Minny? Will he be traded? has he vocally stated he's going to test free agency in July? What does he really want cash wise?

I think Gainey should go hard so next year we at least know we'll have a good set of hands. Our "D" has had a bad season but I think think they'll bounce back next year and we shouldn't tinker too much there. Just sign Komi and let them grow.

All of this can get thrown out the window should Vinny become available on draft day, but if Gainey can deal for Gaborik before the draft and sign him we could then trade him to Tampa for Vinny.

I don't know, I would just like a good set of hands next year and I almost don't care what it costs. We are up against the cap as we stand and playing kids anyways so Gabby at a 8 mil with a bunch of kids sounds O.K to me. He will make them better.

Here's what these guys need to think about.... Play better get more money win cup gets lots more money all of these guys will be playing somewhere next year so it's not like they are going to be homeless.

Not true. You could play like sh.it for long stretches of time. Get taken out of the regular line-up. make paper planes while your team mates are playing, and still get a nice hefty pay increase fro a 3 years !!! cough, cough, Ryder, cough, cough!

Gaborik! :lol::lol::lol::lol: He's made a real, lasting difference to Minny, hasn't he?

Let's talk UFA centremen please. That's what we need. A D-man wouldn't hurt either, but finances are prohibitive.

Let's talk UFA centremen please. That's what we need.

Agreed....it's time to stop settling for Plan B. The GM needs to make landing a true number-one centre his all-consuming obsession. Not having a number-one centre has been hurting this franchise since the early 90's...enough's enough!

• 4 weeks later...

I think [unfortunately] Bob will have to re-sign/offer at least 1-2 of the current D; since he's not going to go with a rookie D core. And since it's hard to sign UFA's (in Montreal..... :rolleyes: ) I don't think he can go out and sign [an upgraded] D or 2 to replace the impending UFA's

Why wouldn't he go with some rookies? They are more talented, Weber is in for sure. I think If Emelin comes over it will be with the big club. That's 2 rookies right there.

Centers:

Top choice Sedins

Camalari is out there

They may be able to get a deal with Edmonton, they have numerous young centers. Pleks does have some trade value, 20-30 goal guy but plays like a little girl in the crunch time. There are alwasy teams out there that think they can change someone.

Flyers might be trade partner: They have 4 offensive centers.

I don't know who else is out there UFA wise

I don't have a problem with a couple rookies on D; but would we go with 5? We only have Hamrlik and Markov under contract so we need to fill 5 spots on D...

Is there a chance to grab a couple UFA D's on the market? Like i stated we're probably going to re-sign a D or 2............... :unsure:

I don't have a problem with a couple rookies on D; but would we go with 5? We only have Hamrlik and Markov under contract so we need to fill 5 spots on D...

Is there a chance to grab a couple UFA D's on the market? Like i stated we're probably going to re-sign a D or 2............... :unsure:

We still have Gorges and O'Byrne (not a rookie anymore), and Weber's got a touch of experience already. I don't see how we could be going with 5 rookies on D.

Sorry I though we only had 2 signed for next year; BUT O'Byrne's looked lost out there at times, and the stupid penalties don't help........

What I think we need is a solid stay at home MEAN SOB, on the back end someone who'll engage they player coming over the blueline and play the man.

The most important signing for us next year should be a defensive coach. We need someone (not Jarvis) to analize our defense, or lack there of, and get them clicking together. When I say defense, I mean forwards backchecking too. Our forwards are so spread from the D, that we get caught all of time.

Ctr's, please.

Cammalleri, sure. A better 1a ctr than Koivu. Dubinsky in a trade, I wish - was wanting this kid last season, very, very solid. Don't Rags have to resign Lundquist? One of the Flyers ctrs? If so, Richards please. Of course 1st choice is Vinny for a song...cash-strapped TB might eat some of the dollar?

Lang wants to come back, but I think we should look for an upgrade.

D-men, replacement for Komisarek, who will walk. Tough bastard, mean, rough, aggressive. If somehow possible to get rid of Hamrlik, great. Don't know if he can bounce back - who would be a viable puck-moving d-man? D-coach, my God how many times have we all been begging for this all year? Without question.

I'd also look seriously at replacing some players due to the constant reports about team character from various sources.

But centres, please. First and foremost.

People have to realize that Mike Cammalleri did NOT lead Calgary in goals this year playing centre... he has played LW for most of the year opposite to Iginla. Langkow and Conroy were his two most frequent centres, and the addition of Jokinen has seen Cammalleri drop from Iginla's line since they didn't have chemistry together. He's still playing LW.

Of course 1st choice is Vinny for a song...cash-strapped TB might eat some of the dollar?

I don't believe that's allowed in the current CBA.

I don't believe that's allowed in the current CBA.

That's correct Colin. No matter how much Brian Burke whines about it, teams cannot eat part of a players' salary to facilitate a trade, like Washington did with Jagr did years ago before the new CBA came into play.

Oh well, no room there. Hometown discount from Vinny? How about 10 free trips to Florida beaches during the season? Or Uncle George can buy him an island somewhere...

Is Dubinsky an RFA, subject to an offer sheet? Christ, I'd already be offering him (yes, yes, against the rules). This kid looks excellent, perfect long-term 2nd / 3rd centre.