The UFA Clean House Challenge

Peter Puck

I could care less if he is a big french centre. If they could teach a Monkey to win some faceoffs, score more the 12 goals, pass the puck and create some offense i am fine with that also.

There are some pretty good UFA centers out there this year, You may be able to trade for 1, i wasn't really think of VC, it will cost Markov as part of the package. There are some options out there.

Pleks and Koivu are just NOT what i consider to be 2 centers that put fear in opponants.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could care less if he is a big french centre. If they could teach a Monkey to win some faceoffs, score more the 12 goals, pass the puck and create some offense i am fine with that also.

There are some pretty good UFA centers out there this year, You may be able to trade for 1, i wasn't really think of VC, it will cost Markov as part of the package. There are some options out there.

Pleks and Koivu are just NOT what i consider to be 2 centers that put fear in opponants.

which ufa centers are you talking about because there are not many out there..in my dream world koivu is a second line centre..iam not a big fan of pleks and think we should move him...if it was that easy to trade for a top centre you think bob wouldnt of done it by now? i am hoping because some good teams got put out of the playoffs early that we might be able to get a good centre from one of them or someone looking to dump some cash..trading markov would be plan dumb, for the money he makes he is a steal of a deal so if he was to go in a trade we better get some sick return...

i really think we might have a good chance at the sedins,becaue our cap room but iam not sold on them and i think T.O going to make a run at them..trust me i been going over the ufa list like crazy and there not alot of super power guys out there this year..

Edited by KEEP26

which ufa centers are you talking about because there are not many out there..in my dream world koivu is a second line centre..iam not a big fan of pleks and think we should move him...if it was that easy to trade for a top centre you think bob wouldnt of done it by now? i am hoping because some good teams got put out of the playoffs early that we might be able to get a good centre from one of them or someone looking to dump some cash..trading markov would be plan dumb, for the money he makes he is a steal of a deal so if he was to go in a trade we better get some sick return...

i really think we might have a good chance at the sedins,becaue our cap room but iam not sold on them and i think T.O going to make a run at them..trust me i been going over the ufa list like crazy and there not alot of super power guys out there this year..

The Sedins haven't exactly dominated the Chicago series, but then again, they're on a club that still has minimal secondary scoring (Wellwood is right there with Plekanec on this list of the league's lamest second-line C, and Kessler played what might be the worst playoff game I've ever seen a regular NHLer play in Game 5 of that series). You'd also be getting *two* elite players in the deal. They would solve quite a few roster problems for us, but I really think Burke has the inside track (he drafted them) if they don't stay in Vancouver, which they probably will. That team has tons of cap space and few prospects worth a damn other than Hodgkins, so they'll be motivated to hold onto these assets. So don't bank on 'em.

The Sedins haven't exactly dominated the Chicago series, but then again, they're on a club that still has minimal secondary scoring (Wellwood is right there with Plekanec on this list of the league's lamest second-line C, and Kessler played what might be the worst playoff game I've ever seen a regular NHLer play in Game 5 of that series). You'd also be getting *two* elite players in the deal. They would solve quite a few roster problems for us, but I really think Burke has the inside track (he drafted them) if they don't stay in Vancouver, which they probably will. That team has tons of cap space and few prospects worth a damn other than Hodgkins, so they'll be motivated to hold onto these assets. So don't bank on 'em.

i agree..we are going to be hard up to sign great ufa...

Dont resign anyone over the age of 30 and do anything we can to get the no1 draft pick (if that is even possible) to get Tavares. Then stink it up a few years and get more top picks. This team has been 10-6th in the east for most of the 90s-2000s and gotten lousy draftpicks and early playoff exits.

OR sign 2-3 top players from the UFA market this summer (Bouwmeester etc.) and hope for the players we still have to get out of sophmore jinxes and stuff.

1. If you don't resign any vets then who will mentor and lead?

2. If we even have a chance to get that number #1 pick, it would have to involve Markov and/or Price, plus a lot more. No sane person would make that trade.

3. Sign 2-3 top players? Like it's that easy? Sure, let's just sign JayBo, Gaborik and Hossa! No problem!

Edited by ForumGhost

We absolutely can't go into next year with Koivu and Plecanek as #1 - #2. We might as well write it all off. Maximum Koivu is a #3 now, and Plex, well, the KHL beckons. True not many marquee ctr's available, but maybe a vet similar to Lang. Shouldn't SJ be looking for a major overhaul after yet another disaster? They have some players.

Hossa won't come here; Bouwmeester probably too expensive; Gaborik a massive gamble on health, can't see it for Bob. As people have pointed out, Beauchemin would be a great pick up (also health issues after this year I guess; has he ever had other long-term injuries before?). If Markov is our first choice, and he mans the second d-line, could be very good. As Chris says, trust Bob to make the right decision with Komisarek. And if you're not going to get him, trade his rights so we get at least something out of it! LA dumb enough to give us Kopitar??? :rolleyes:

Dalhabs, tanking for the Habs is not an option for several reasons.

Changed my thinking after that 4-4 goal by Crosby. Tamper, coerce, beg, steal, cry, kidnap, appeal, force, gnash teeth, render garments, tear out hair, submit, shave head and sit under ice cold waterfall, give up doughnuts, offer personal services contract for 50mil, keys to city, whatever whatever whatever it takes, but get Sidney Crosby on the team.

Please Bob please!

And of course free French lessons at College Platon.

Changed my thinking after that 4-4 goal by Crosby. Tamper, coerce, beg, steal, cry, kidnap, appeal, force, gnash teeth, render garments, tear out hair, submit, shave head and sit under ice cold waterfall, give up doughnuts, offer personal services contract for 50mil, keys to city, whatever whatever whatever it takes, but get Sidney Crosby on the team.

Please Bob please!

And of course free French lessons at College Platon.

:lol: Crosby ain't a-comin, but one of the better theories floating around out there is that Bob should make a pitch for Jordan Staal, on the theory that he could step in as a top-line C. I don't know how high Staal's ceiling is, but that seems to me to be the right kind of idea.

As for Plekanec, he definitely deserves a chance to redeem himself, but on the other hand, he might be more useful as trade bait in a package. If he doesn't redeem himself, you've just watched a significant asset devalue itself into dust. The question is whether he has the cojones to go into traffic and take the punishment, and he has yet to give an answer.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Am I the only one here who thinks that it's not impossible for Plekanec to regain his confidence/form from two years ago and be a legit #2 after all?

Not at all, I think if he's playing his best he can be our first line guy.

You know, everyone likes to say that we don't have any centers that can play in the top 6, but I'm really starting to wonder what you people see as a top centre exactly? Obviously guys like Crosby and Datsyuk come to mind, but remember that not every team has 2 superstar centers like Pittsburg. Many teams don't even have one. So what is a top 6 centre exactly?

I don't think it's impossible for Pleks to regain his form, the question is he has shown thta when the going gets tough he folds like a tent. I am certainly not saying he is the only one. Koivu has been invisible all year.

So a top centre will score you more then 15 goals or 50 points a year. Sadly, the defense is a significantly worse problem then the 2 soft centers they have.

Thye don't have any proven talent to get a big fish to trade for. Markov is the best they have, can you imagine how bad the D is without him.

I guess I'd say that a top-line C will be the pivot for the offence. Koivu used to do this for about 2/3 to 3/4 of every season. In the process of leading the offence, a top-line C will accumulate a lot of points. Less than 70 and it's definitely fair to wonder whether you've got the genuine article.

Plekanec could go either way, but he'll be 27 next season - he's right at the age when your typical NHL player comes into full maturity. If he struggles like this next season, his profile around the league risks being downgraded to the level of a Jan Bulis.

Assuming they don't trade him, and don't acquire a new C, a new coach would need to make Pleks a priority. Unlike the Kostitsyns, he's running out of time.

:lol: Crosby ain't a-comin, but one of the better theories floating around out there is that Bob should make a pitch for Jordan Staal, on the theory that he could step in as a top-line C. I don't know how high Staal's ceiling is, but that seems to me to be the right kind of idea.

As for Plekanec, he definitely deserves a chance to redeem himself, but on the other hand, he might be more useful as trade bait in a package. If he doesn't redeem himself, you've just watched a significant asset devalue itself into dust. The question is whether he has the cojones to go into traffic and take the punishment, and he has yet to give an answer.

I definitely think Jordan Staal is a guy we should target. He's stuck behind Crosby and so not utilized to his full potential in Pittsburgh. This means we have a chance to pry him loose. If Pittsburgh

loses against Washington (or even in the ECF) they will probably be looking to make some changes. He won't come cheap but I think we could see a win-win deal for him.

Jordan Staal would require the Kostitsyns plus maybe a little bit more, I'd think. Probably worth it. As a bonus, Jordan Staal is already a terrific defensive centre. Don't know if Pitt would do it, but they'd at least get some long term wingers with some pop for their elite centers.

Except what he brings to the table will probably be better than what he brought last year considering he was nursing an injury.

Let me make a bold prediction here: Komi will walk because someone's gunna offer him 5 mil and everyone will say good riddance since he wanted way too much. Then, by mid season, everyone will be bemoaning the fact that Bob let another talent walk away for nothing due to the fact that Komi is playing well somewhere else and our own blue-line holes.

Mark my words.

I agree! People seem to forget rather quickly how well Komisarek was playing the last couple of years before his injury this season. The guy has one bad year(due to injury) and everybody wants him gone! I've said it before, and I'll say it again. We had been waiting for at least 10 years for a big right handed d-man, and now that we have him(and is in the PRIME of his career), we wanna kick him out of town for a 1 million$ difference? Maybe even 500,000K?? I think it'll be a move most fans will regret in the near future!

Komisarek will have a better year next year...you can bet your mortgage on that!

Edited by Habsfan

A famous quote from the movie Christine i beleive says it the best "You can't polish a terd".

Actually, the Guys on Mythbusters did it! I saw the episode about 4 months ago. They used Lion poop and polished it until it shined! :D:P You might think i'm joking, but I'm not!

Edited by Habsfan

Jordan Staal would require the Kostitsyns plus maybe a little bit more, I'd think. Probably worth it. As a bonus, Jordan Staal is already a terrific defensive centre. Don't know if Pitt would do it, but they'd at least get some long term wingers with some pop for their elite centers.

me and my buddy been talking about that trade for a while, i think we can offer a good deal..i think it would be kostitsyn,chips (to replace staal as third line centre, he play with sid)and one of our young defense men...and maybe a pick..

its going to be hard to get staal out of pit, but i think we can do it..

me and my buddy been talking about that trade for a while, i think we can offer a good deal..i think it would be kostitsyn,chips (to replace staal as third line centre, he play with sid)and one of our young defense men...and maybe a pick..

its going to be hard to get staal out of pit, but i think we can do it..

They might want Lapierre instead of Chips (and then Chips would have to step up and replace Lapierre as our checking centre). Who knows... still might be worth it. It'd definitely be a bold move.

I'm kind of looking at the upcoming draft right now. There are some interesting centres out there around our pick.

The Pens no longer have any incentive to move Staal. The only reason his name popped up in rumors this year was because he didn't get along well with Therien. Now that he's gone, so is any desire the team had to move Staal.

Actually, the Guys on Mythbusters did it! I saw the episode about 4 months ago. They used Lion poop and polished it until it shined! :D:P You might think i'm joking, but I'm not!

Haha, I was just gonna point that out!

The Pens no longer have any incentive to move Staal. The only reason his name popped up in rumors this year was because he didn't get along well with Therien. Now that he's gone, so is any desire the team had to move Staal.

I heard the same this as well. Anyways, I'm not ready to give up on AK46 just yet. He's still young(just turned 24 years old) hasn't even hit his prime yet!)

What if he busts out for 30+ goals next season! How much worse could next season be? If we bring back Kovy, and a new coach, maybe it'll help AK46 relax a little.

I'd give him at least one maybe even two more years before giving up on him!

Edited by Habsfan

In a season where everyone (except Markov of course) underperformed, Kostitsyn managed to come within 3 goals of last season, when his line was nearly unstoppable (with 4 less games). So explain to me how there's any incentive to give up on him at all?

As for Staal, it still makes no sense as to why they would wanna keep him. Yeah he's good, but he's no Malkin or Crosby. So why would they want to tie up so much money in their 3rd line centre? That's a total waste of their money and his talents. They could easily trade him to get a scoring winger to play alongside Crosby or Malkin. I think it's in their best interest to move him.

As for Staal, it still makes no sense as to why they would wanna keep him. Yeah he's good, but he's no Malkin or Crosby. So why would they want to tie up so much money in their 3rd line centre? That's a total waste of their money and his talents. They could easily trade him to get a scoring winger to play alongside Crosby or Malkin. I think it's in their best interest to move him.

That's simple. They want a scoring winger? Move Malkin to LW full time and let Staal center the 2nd line.

Trading Kostitsyn (or both) for Jordan Staal isn't "giving up" on them. It's an exchange of assets designed to improve the teams involved. It'd actually be a genuine hockey trade.

Trading a guy for a draft pick or prospect could be considered "giving up" on them, since it's trading a known quantity for a bit of an unknown one. But trading a known quantity for yet another known quantity isn't "giving up" on the player.