The story that wasn't

alexstream

I didn't read it, but from what you are saying I'm assuming a lot of the story was fabricated?

Has the Montreal media stooped to a new low? Making up incredible stories for the sake of selling magazines/papers that are not somewhat but totally untrue.

Man, we have no chance of attracting big name UFA's that have a choice on where they can play. Not with "The enquirer" around and paparazzi following you to your hospital room and parties in Cancun.

I don't blame Vinnie and all others one bit for staying away. It will be really interesting to see who Gainey offers contracts to and who accepts. After this season I'm sure they all will run like the wind.

We are entering a very sad time period for the Habs. Gillette should sell now if he is smart, and Gainey will probably walk. This team is going to have to suck for ten years before this media obsession can get watered down a little. It has officially got out of hand and is hurting the future of the team.

This team is going to have to suck for ten years before this media obsession can get watered down a little.

How do you figure? They haven't advanced past the 2nd round in the playoffs since 1993, have missed the playoffs 6 times since then, and have finished in the top four in their conference once during that same time span. If that's not sucking for 10+ years, what is?

How do you figure? They haven't advanced past the 2nd round in the playoffs since 1993, have missed the playoffs 6 times since then, and have finished in the top four in their conference once during that same time span. If that's not sucking for 10+ years, what is?

See: Leafs, circa 80's.

I didn't read it, but from what you are saying I'm assuming a lot of the story was fabricated?

Has the Montreal media stooped to a new low? Making up incredible stories for the sake of selling magazines/papers that are not somewhat but totally untrue.

Man, we have no chance of attracting big name UFA's that have a choice on where they can play. Not with "The enquirer" around and paparazzi following you to your hospital room and parties in Cancun.

I don't blame Vinnie and all others one bit for staying away. It will be really interesting to see who Gainey offers contracts to and who accepts. After this season I'm sure they all will run like the wind.

We are entering a very sad time period for the Habs. Gillette should sell now if he is smart, and Gainey will probably walk. This team is going to have to suck for ten years before this media obsession can get watered down a little. It has officially got out of hand and is hurting the future of the team.

:rolleyes:

Oh the irony. The medias effect overblown by fans, especially by the out-of-towners. Medias are partially catering to the market, ie. fans. The obsession comes from the fans. If there wasnt a market so fanatic about the team and players, there wouldnt be such a big mediatic presence.

Mediatic exposure and fans' obsession goes hand-in-hand. Fans have to stop pretending they're blameless angels and not part of the equation.

See: Leafs, circa 80's.

The last dozen years for both clubs have been subpar so I take no solice in that knee-jerk statement. The only consolation is that the Habs only have to think back 15yrs to when they last won whereas the Laffs have to think back 42yrs.

From 1994-present neither team has done much of anything other than make a boatload of money off their fans.

• Like 1

:rolleyes:

Oh the irony. The medias effect overblown by fans, especially by the out-of-towners. Medias are partially catering to the market, ie. fans. The obsession comes from the fans. If there wasnt a market so fanatic about the team and players, there wouldnt be such a big mediatic presence.

Mediatic exposure and fans' obsession goes hand-in-hand. Fans have to stop pretending they're blameless angels and not part of the equation.

Of course. If nobody bought the Enquirer a photo of Paris Hilton wearing no bikini in Greece wouldn't fetch $100 000. Or a Brad Pitt cheating on Angelina Jolie fabricated story wouldn't even get a thought. I get what your saying but Hockey players can get away from it unlike pop stars. They go play for one of the other 24 teams where the fanbase/media isn't as interested on who you have a drink with at the bar or whether you are smoking and drinking on a vacation in Mexico during the off season.

Agree or disagree this is not good for Habs future, especially when the stories being written are false. Who wants to play under that microscope.

You don't think out-of-towner UFA's take any of this into consideration?

Ask Vinny, Arnott, Hossa, Brierre, Sundin, Shanahan, etc...... all the players we have signed in the past 5 years have been Plan B, C, and D. and we wonder why we can't ever get a plan A.

I don't think we'll be able to sign our own players to come back this year let alone Plan G, H,Z. It's going to get a little hairy soon enough.

no... no no.

it says : what you read on TSN and what was translated from Lapresse, etc... was accurate. that he himself (he's the guy who first brought light to it) has never been hiding anything. (some posters/ bloggers etc blamed him of hiding part of the truth)

what was reported by posters or by blogs (e.g. drugs, sex, etc) is totally unconfirmed and surely false and should be in the category of urban legend.

so the "story" is that Paquale was a friend of the Ks and Hamrlik... that guy got arrested. End of the story. that's the story reported by "the media".

anything else you read is rumours -> surely false. those stories reported by posters, bloggers, and radio callers.

The last dozen years for both clubs have been subpar so I take no solice in that knee-jerk statement. The only consolation is that the Habs only have to think back 15yrs to when they last won whereas the Laffs have to think back 42yrs.

From 1994-present neither team has done much of anything other than make a boatload of money off their fans.

Er, that wasn't a knee-jerk reaction, I was just responding to Fanpuck's question:

If that's not sucking for 10+ years, what is?

The Leafs sucked for the 80's. Thank you Harold Ballard for the good times.

I'm not commenting on the state of the Habs. Just commenting on that one question. It was a response at the expense of the Leafs. You know, Leaf-bashing? Used to happen once in a while around here.

:unsure:

It's the economy

Radio Canada/CBC just laid off 800 people, so reporters have to write something.

no... no no.

it says : what you read on TSN and what was translated from Lapresse, etc... was accurate. that he himself (he's the guy who first brought light to it) has never been hiding anything. (some posters/ bloggers etc blamed him of hiding part of the truth)

what was reported by posters or by blogs (e.g. drugs, sex, etc) is totally unconfirmed and surely false and should be in the category of urban legend.

so the "story" is that Paquale was a friend of the Ks and Hamrlik... that guy got arrested. End of the story. that's the story reported by "the media".

anything else you read is rumours -> surely false. those stories reported by posters, bloggers, and radio callers.

Got you...... Well I guess that's good to hear.

Another thing that this reminds me of is there was never any news after the random drug test we got. Good to know the lads are clean. No news being good news I suppose.

Got you...... Well I guess that's good to hear.

Another thing that this reminds me of is there was never any news after the random drug test we got. Good to know the lads are clean. No news being good news I suppose.

When Sean Hill got busted for steroids, it came out that the NHL actually knew about it for something like two weeks before suspending him during the playoffs. Results aren't immediate from those tests, and for some reason the response from the NHL when they get the results isn't immediate either. We may not know the results of that drug test until the playoffs start, as I think Hill had played for over a month after his test.

When Sean Hill got busted for steroids, it came out that the NHL actually knew about it for something like two weeks before suspending him during the playoffs. Results aren't immediate from those tests, and for some reason the response from the NHL when they get the results isn't immediate either. We may not know the results of that drug test until the playoffs start, as I think Hill had played for over a month after his test.

Hmmmm, well hopefully it's all clean results. I'm sure someone from the media will let us know before the NHL knows. ^_^

I understand that this has been a very disappointing season, but I think there's a bit too much doom and gloom going around. We have one of the best, if not the best prospect pool in the league. We have the scouting staff in place that has brought us all those kids, and if they keep producing at even half the current rate, we should have enough assets to get us what we need (like the elusive top-tier talent we can't seem to sign), even if we overpay.

As far as free agents, not that it wouldn't be great to again become a prime destination, but remember that some of the best moves of Gainey's tenure were the ones he didn't make, and if you think right now is bad, how would you feel about being on the books an extra 6-7mil a year for an injured Briere. I'll go on the record as saying that I've ALWAYS been a proponent of the build from within scenario as opposed to signing what you need, and the new NHL and economic situation in general require that it be a significant part of any franchise's MO anyway. Now I know that it's impossible to replace all our current FAs with what we have, but fringe free agents are easier to sign, and right now the residual talent on this club is better than at any point since '95.

Anyway, last year was a perfect storm in a positive way, this year one disaster after another, let's have a little perspective and a little patience. We weren't as good as we thought we were last year, and we're not so bad as we look this year, let's hopefully make the playoffs, do a little damage and then assess what needs to be addressed, including a new coach.

The only thing that really scares me is the potential of Gainey leaving, many underestimate just what it takes to navigate calmly and with purpose through all this fabricated (on top of real) madness. Boivin is insane if he doesn't do everything in his power to keep Bob on the job as long as he'll have it.

Do you happen to know why? Drug tests are ridiculously simply to implement and judge.

I understand that this has been a very disappointing season, but I think there's a bit too much doom and gloom going around. We have one of the best, if not the best prospect pool in the league. We have the scouting staff in place that has brought us all those kids, and if they keep producing at even half the current rate, we should have enough assets to get us what we need (like the elusive top-tier talent we can't seem to sign), even if we overpay.

As far as free agents, not that it wouldn't be great to again become a prime destination, but remember that some of the best moves of Gainey's tenure were the ones he didn't make, and if you think right now is bad, how would you feel about being on the books an extra 6-7mil a year for an injured Briere. I'll go on the record as saying that I've ALWAYS been a proponent of the build from within scenario as opposed to signing what you need, and the new NHL and economic situation in general require that it be a significant part of any franchise's MO anyway. Now I know that it's impossible to replace all our current FAs with what we have, but fringe free agents are easier to sign, and right now the residual talent on this club is better than at any point since '95.

Anyway, last year was a perfect storm in a positive way, this year one disaster after another, let's have a little perspective and a little patience. We weren't as good as we thought we were last year, and we're not so bad as we look this year, let's hopefully make the playoffs, do a little damage and then assess what needs to be addressed, including a new coach.

The only thing that really scares me is the potential of Gainey leaving, many underestimate just what it takes to navigate calmly and with purpose through all this fabricated (on top of real) madness. Boivin is insane if he doesn't do everything in his power to keep Bob on the job as long as he'll have it.

I couldn't agree more. This year has been the result of an unforseeable confluence of two factors: one is that the older players (meaning especially Koivu, Kovalev, and Hamrlik) all seem to have declined more-or-less overnight; the other is that the young players turned out not to have been ready to take another step forward. That doesn't mean that Gainey is a bad GM (nobody can anticipate when a player will lose a step, and everyone expected our young guys to get better, not regress); and it doesn't mean our young players, from Komi on down, suck. (It *does* mean that we need to think about turning over our veteran core; Tanguay is an obvious Kovalev replacement, for instance, and we still need a Koivu replacement. But this team is not and will never be built by UFA signings).

Do you happen to know why? Drug tests are ridiculously simply to implement and judge.

that is very true, they do it in an afternoon at the olympics. i am sure there is a higher priority given then but a month? that seems way too long. they pee in a bottle it gets analyzed, it just dont take that long.

that is very true, they do it in an afternoon at the olympics. i am sure there is a higher priority given then but a month? that seems way too long. they pee in a bottle it gets analyzed, it just dont take that long.

Because they are considered innocent until they get a second test to verify and have a meeting. Sometimes there are legitimate reasons to fail the test, so those things get ruled out.

So it usually takes a week or two before the conclude that the player is guilty and action is taken. Remember the Theo incident when it was leaked and then it turns out he was innocent? They avoid that now.

Yeah, I think since we're dealing with professionals not amateurs there's a bit more process involved. I also think they take the samples and then ship them to an independent lab. At the Olympics, they have the lab right at the site.

This was true for the past couple of seasons but our prospect pool is really drying up. We've got practically nothing at forward or in goal, and a logjam on D. I expect the Habs to drop significantly on the next HF rankings. Plekanec, Higgins and Komisarek are already in their mid-20s closing on unrestricted free agency. They aren't prospects, or even youth, anymore.