9.0 QUAKE, RESULTING TSUNAMIS KILLS 120,000+

puck7x

Holy crap! And I didnt notice this until an entire day later (I wasnt watching any news all day I guess)

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/12/2...uake/index.html

Biggest Earthquake in 40 years, its the biggest disaster I can ever remember seeing (although I'm only in my early 20's) ... geez

[Edited on 2004-12-30 by puck7x]

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

I believe their was an earthquake in Turkey in 1999 that killed something like 60k... not positive...

And can we please not compare this to 9/11. I dunno why everything gets compared to it.

[Edited on 2004/12/28 by Leafs Suck]

cuz i was talking about the bigest disaster since ww2. And 911 was a big one.

Is anyone else (The Americans here maybe?) disappointed with the American media coverage of this tragedy?

Channels like CNN would rather show human interest stories, or celeb gossip then the disaster in Asia.... And when they actually do show the rare story about the disaster the story is usually about foreign tourists trying to get home, or about some cute finnish baby who was rescued... Who cares about the millions of Asians/Indians/etc eh?

Am I wrong?

Its sad, its all about ratings... and people eat up the shit CNN feeds them. Or, maybe CNN thinks that most people only care about stories "from home" (or about Americans in iraq) . Its much different on Canadian tv I've noticed.

[Edited on 2004-12-29 by puck7x]

Originally posted by puck7x

Is anyone else (The Americans here maybe?) disappointed with the American media coverage of this tragedy?  

Channels like CNN would rather show human interest stories, or celeb gossip then the disaster in Asia.... And when they actually do show the rare story about the disaster the story is usually about foreign tourists trying to get home, or about some cute finnish baby who was rescued... Who cares about the millions of Asians/Indians/etc eh?  

Am I wrong?  

Its sad, its all about ratings... and people eat up the shit CNN feeds them. Or, maybe CNN thinks that most people only care about stories "from home" (or about Americans in iraq) . Its much different on Canadian tv I've noticed.

[Edited on 2004-12-29 by puck7x]

You're right. CNN has just been absolutly negligent in it's coverage of this, and, sad to say, it's the most international of the US 24/7 news networks. I watch the BBC news at 5 on a Public station here to get international news...the coverage on American networks of anything not involving Americans is pathetic.

Examples from the last few days: The main lead in the story on ABC here at 6 on the 27th was the quake...for 5 minutes, then a 10 minute story on if it could happen here (In FL). Pffff. FoxNews's interview when I turned there was if Bush was giving away too much. CNN was discussing that very topic, then moved on to a stupid Gallop poll about the "most admired women...."

And about the 9/11 thing....don't want to come off as unsympathetic to it, and it was a big event, but it's not even close to the size of this event. Once the total is fully realized (It will take a few weeks), this will be the biggest humanitarian disaster of our generation.

Originally posted by Dutch_Habs_Fan

I believe their was an earthquake in Turkey in 1999 that killed something like 60k... not positive...

And can we please not compare this to 9/11. I dunno why everything gets compared to it.

[Edited on 2004/12/28 by Leafs Suck]

cuz i was talking about the bigest disaster since ww2. And 911 was a big one.

but 9/11 was terrorism. ie caused by other human beings.

this was something that could not be prevented. no one knew it was coming. it's was act of nature. which makes it all the more sad.

this was something that could not be prevented. no one knew it was coming. it's was act of nature. which makes it all the more sad.

I agree that this shouldn't be compared to 9-11, as they are totally different situations. At the same time though, I find them equal in sadness. This disaster for the amount of life lost, and 9-11 because it was, as you said, humans who caused it.

Also, I'm always critical of the American media, I think 95% of it sucks 95% of the time.

[Edited on 12-29-04 by Fanpuck33]

Latest estimates from this quake are at 60,000+ with a number of people saying it will end up over 100,000...

That's not even taking into account all the people that will end up getting various diseases associated with this disaster.

It's really f'd up. I can't even begin to imagine what it would've been like being even near this...

Originally posted by Zowpeb

Latest estimates from this quake are at 60,000+ with a number of people saying it will end up over 100,000...

That's not even taking into account all the people that will end up getting various diseases associated with this disaster.

It's really f'd up.  I can't even begin to imagine what it would've been like being even near this...

Yup, its sad. But adding after adding up the current death tolls with the number of people who will die from the disease, in total more then 100,000+ will be dead.

I remember this past summer when Haiti got struck by a hurricane and was flooded, the dirty-water diseases were the big killer.

Deathtoll is up to 120k now.

I saw a report on the news of a helicopter flying over an island that used to have over 10k people living on it, absolutely nothing is left, everything was wiped out. Unreal.

Only 5 dutchie's so far. But there are aproximately 30 people lost. I've seen a list of foreigners and most lost came from sweden. It's a popular holiday destiantion for the swedes i heared.

I think 40 Million en 35 million is kinda low for such big countries like the US and Canada. Holland gives 27 million, and i'm not saying we are so good! I'm saying all those other countries are not giving enough!! (but hey that just for now, let's see what else happens, i just hope the best for those people out there!!I think they need it!!)

Only 5 dutchie's so far. But there are aproximately 30 people lost. I've seen a list of foreigners and most lost came from sweden. It's a popular holiday destiantion for the swedes i heared.

I think 40 Million en 35 million is kinda low for such big countries like the US and Canada. Holland gives 27 million, and i'm not saying we are so good! I'm saying all those other countries are not giving enough!! (but hey that just for now, let's see what else happens, i just hope the best for those people out there!!I think they need it!!)

Canada's GDP estimated for 2004 is 958.7 billion

The Americans is 10.99 TRILLION...

Yet we give alot more aid... Shows you where Bush's heart is...

I guess if they had oil, it would be a different story.

First of all, the 35-40 million the US is giving is just the immediate aid. I've seen that when all is said and done, the US will give around 100 million.

Secondly, I think it is EXTREMELY generous for the US to give that much, considering we are embroiled in Iraq and Afghanistan, and are currently in a budget defecit. If things were different, the US would be able to do a lot more.

Another thing I found interesting is that a number or times I've seen people on TV saying the US is giving away TOO MUCH money given our circumstances. Remember, the aid the US gives them is in addition to the 25% of the UN budget that we pay for, must of which goes toward humanitarian missions.

Canada's GDP estimated for 2004 is 958.7 billion

The Americans is 10.99 TRILLION...

Yet we give alot more aid... Shows you where Bush's heart is...

I guess if they had oil, it would be a different story.

Agreed, it is amazing. I mean, more then 200,000,000,000 for Invading Iraq, and 35,000,000 for this....jeez.