Serge Savard willing to buy the Canadiens

rafikz

Never mind so is Celine Dion. Seriously.

Actally no she isn't

"RDS has also learned that rumoured buyers Guy Laliberté of Cirque du Soleil, René Angelil, and Celine Dion all have no intention of making offers for the team"

The above was from a TSN article

Can't believe this doesn't get more attention. Thoughts? I think it would be fantastic. A pure 100% hockey environment, instead of an asset to put up against the Liverpool black hole. I don't think Gilette has done anything wrong per se, but this would be great.

Markov and Schneider out, this thread will get lots more traffic in a week I think (glumly).

Can't believe this doesn't get more attention. Thoughts? I think it would be fantastic. A pure 100% hockey environment, instead of an asset to put up against the Liverpool black hole. I don't think Gilette has done anything wrong per se, but this would be great.

Markov and Schneider out, this thread will get lots more traffic in a week I think (glumly).

it should be put in the permanent rumour thread !!

I'm sure media and fans would love it but I doubt I would work.

We know Serge would respect the Habs' history, since he's a major part of it, but does he really have the pockets for it? And would having an owner who, you know, was a good GM in his own right be a good thing for those who work under him?

We know Serge would respect the Habs' history, since he's a major part of it, but does he really have the pockets for it? And would having an owner who, you know, was a good GM in his own right be a good thing for those who work under him?

I'm sure he would have alot of trouble trying to run the whole show. I kinda like gillett and I sure hope he stays.

Having Celin Dion own the Habs would be hilarious and embarassing at the same time.

And yet, a moneymaker. The Bell Centre would be her personal amphitheatre, think of all the revenues.

It would depend on the ownership structure.

Gillett has been great, and if Savard needs to bring in numerous money guys and have a board

then you never know what type of BS you have to put up with.

McCown commented on the fan that he was not a good GM, WTF?

Two Cups, 3 Cup appearances, 2 Conference Finals, perennial contender and 100 point seasons

almost yearly and he is not a good GM?

And this guy makes the top 100 NHL influential list? That is scary

Really? That's when you realize just how "toronto centric" the media is in Canada!

McCown doesn't know shit!

It would depend on the ownership structure.

Gillett has been great, and if Savard needs to bring in numerous money guys and have a board

then you never know what type of BS you have to put up with.

McCown commented on the fan that he was not a good GM, WTF?

Two Cups, 3 Cup appearances, 2 Conference Finals, perennial contender and 100 point seasons

almost yearly and he is not a good GM?

He was an excellent GM; but at the time, I remember a lot of people being disappointed in him for making the team a tough defensive team, instead of the free-wheeling attacking team they SEEMED to be in the late 70's (actually an equally punishing defensive team with ridiculously superior talent at forward, couldn't even have happened again by the mid-80's). They didn't like the idea of paying top dollar to watch 2-0 games. Totally unjustified, but there was some of this sentiment at the time around the city.

When they didn't win between cups, and at the end of Savard's tenure many people were calling for the Surge's head - completely unjustly, but there you go. McCown is parroting the cheap seats view of things. Nob.

Who's McCown ???

Seriously...

Bob McCown - he's the afternoon sports talk host in Toronto. he's considered their 'star' host :unsure:

Having one guy with deep pockets like Gillette has lots of advantages. In particular, Gillette is pretty much immune from public/media pressure to make changes. This is really important. We already have too many media types trying to influence how the team is run. Too many cooks spoil the broth.

I'll bet the Surge doesn't cave in to media, etc. Strikes me as very much his own man. Plus he has more wight and authority behind him: been there, done that literally, more than any journo can say. Absolutely needs the deep pockets of the big boys though.

I feel if Liverpool win their league, Gillette will try to keep them, and sell us off to raise cash for another big Chumps League push.

Saputo also looking to buy??? He who wouldn't pony up 50 mil for the MLS? Just what we need, another soccer owner.