Apr. 7/09 | Montréal vs. Rangers | Game Thread

Spider-Man NL

I will not be surprised if they lose every single remaining game.

I say this with no rancour. Every team has key players without whom they struggle. We've lost the one absolute key to our team - our equivalent of Iginla or Luongo - and also two huge elements (Lang and Schneider) that Bob cagily added. Couple that to the regression of our young players and the structural weakness of having only one top-4-calibre rushing defenceman, and it's almost guaranteed that we will look bad from here on out. Those who want to fume that 'good teams overcome obstacles' should look at the Flames' record without their key defencemen or consider how the Canucks fared last season when their key D were out.

If/when he either miss the playoffs or are swept from the first round, I just hope fans and media keep in mind these ridiculous injuries. But they won't. (And to be fair, if Carbo had done the job, or the players hadn't quit on him, we'd certainly be in a playoff position now - albeit ripe to be swept).

I agree. They are done. They will need somebody to step up huge just to steal one point.

This season is the exact opposite of last season. Last season they got unexpected performances

from Price and both Kostitsyn's. Expected progression from PLekanec, Komisarek, Streit and

their major Free Agent acquisition performed up to expectation.

Kovalev bounced back and they had ZERO major injuries.

This season Kovalev, Koivu, Higgins, PLekanec, both Kostitsyn's, Price, Hamrlik have all not matched

their potential, and they have been DEVESTATED by untimely injuries.

it is a miracle that they are still capable of making the playoffs.

I am not panicking over the summer, and I hope Gainey does not either.

Everybody talks like all these Free Agents is a major problem, but would you rather have the Habs

cap situation and prospects, or the Rangers who have 20M locked into Drury, Gomez, Redden.

THe Bruins and Flyers are going to hit a MAJOR wall in 2011 and with the cap ready to drop into the 40s

I am disappointed in this season, but the future is still bright.

Edited by Wamsley01

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tanguay - Koivu - Kovalev

Higgins - Plekanec - Kostitsyn

Latendresse - Lapierre - Kostopoulos

Stewart - Metropolit - Laraque

Gorges - Komisarek

Hamrlik - Brisebois

Weber - Dandenault

Price

Please. That's as strong a team as you'll get with Markov and Schneider out.

I agree. They are done. They will need somebody to step up huge just to steal one point.

This season is the exact opposite of last season. Last season they got unexpected performances

from Price and both Kostitsyn's. Expected progression from PLekanec, Komisarek, Streit and

their major Free Agent acquisition performed up to expectation.

Kovalev bounced back and they had ZERO major injuries.

This season Kovalev, Koivu, Higgins, PLekanec, both Kostitsyn's, Price, Hamrlik have all not matched

their potential, and they have been DEVESTATED by untimely injuries.

it is a miracle that they are still capable of making the playoffs.

I am not panicking over the summer, and I hope Gainey does not either.

Everybody talks like all these Free Agents is a major problem, but would you rather have the Habs

cap situation and prospects, or the Rangers who have 20M locked into Drury, Gomez, Redden.

THe Bruins and Flyers are going to hit a MAJOR wall in 2011 and with the cap ready to drop into the 40s

I am disappointed in this season, but the future is still bright.

Well said, my virtual friend.

I don't think Gainey will panic - has he ever panicked in his life? - but ownership might think differently (if we have ownership). A package shipping the Kostitsyns and maybe Pleks for a proven, star C wouldn't exactly shock me, but I doubt it would be Bob's doing. He seems to genuinely believe in his players and their potential.

Gotta agree with the sane heads here. We are finished, take these elements away from any team (top d-man, top pp d-man, 2nd-line ctr), including the Wings, Sharks, they will fare very poorly. I think we'll make it by default and get bombed out in the playoffs.

I'd absolutely play Weber as much as possible from here on in.

Future looks at the very worst flexible, Bob I am sure will take the whole season into account. He also has to take into account what a top line of Kovalev-Koivu-Tanguay can do with a top-level rushing d-man, especially on the pp, utterly devastating. Do they have a full season in them?

F*ck the scum, they will flop in the playoffs, any coach with half a brain will see through them and pound away at Thomas, just get the puck in deep, tempt him. They will not make it out of the East.

Hehehe, so much doom and gloom in Habsland.

I think the Habs will make the playoffs.

The loss of Markov and Schneider hurts, but it wouldnt be so bad if only someone could calm the defensemen and Price down. Jesus they are so nervous.

Gainey has to adapt here. They desperately need a D who can make a strong, crisp first pass. Weber is the obvious choice. Maybe even Carle.

How about Subban? Is Belleville going to go far in the OHL playoffs? Because PK had 76 pts in 56 games this year. Should have something to offer.

Or just send Dandeneault back to defense. And try a forward at the point on the PP. Gainey hasnt tried that yet but seeing how our PP is doing nothing he's gonna have to think about it.

Reason of this lost.

Saku had no gaz left in the tank after plauing 22 minutes against Ottawa.

this line took this tema where they are, other forwards should have step up, wich lead to my next point

NOT HIS FAULT. + His shot on post at 4 minn. But where on earth is Alex Tanguay ??

Plekanek is playing like a little girl. Metrepolit plays much better than him with the same size and the same wingers.

Andrei Kost, like Joel bouchard said yesterday, my (beer) glass is empty about him. I have nothing to say about him.

And most obviously this defense corp is completely lost. Confidence his the key. Skate the puck out off the zone yourself,

Main target is past the blue line, and nobody can take this puck away from you. It's the only way because nobody can make a tape

to tape pass on pressure situation. Show guts. Mistakes? yeah it could happen but at least you are forcing the play not only reacting to it.

And Carey stay in your net, please, this goal sinked the low confidence of that team.

Wow, that was an embarrassment. Nice 10 minute effort again guys. You certainly earned those pay checks. Hey what do you know, most everyon eblames Price. Hello! He had 42 freakin saves again last night. I didn't read much bitching and complaining when Halak gave up a softie the other night. He only faced 23 shots. I know Price didn't score any goals, get into any fights or stand up for his team mates, oh wait a minute, that's not his job.

I also wanted to thank all the players who stood up for Kosto when he was boarded yesterday. He has gotten his a## kicked by every player in the league this year for his team mates and when he needs a little help, where are his team mates? That sums up this sorry bunch.

Don't even get me started on Komi, what the heck was that guy doing out there? 2 body chacks would have prevented 2 goals. 4 mill my a##.

Funny how today people are saying they are done but people like Kozed and myself were told to take a week off with all the negativity. Oh how things have changed.

Face it, this team has no character, pride, dicipline or the work ethic to produce good results. They have the 4th least amount of points since the all star break. Markov and Schneider were playing on that team so i don't use the injury bug excuse.

All this leads to a massive turnover in the roster next year (hopefully) including a new captain.

Solid 1st, followed by a not solid 2nd and 3rd. It seems the naysayers love to see the Habs lose so they can gloat that they are right. Doesn't make much sense to me, but there you have it.

That said, the D last night looked like they believed they are doomed without Markov back there. That screw up goal from Price, Gorges skate was horrible, and it looked like every shoulder slumped after that one. It's been said all season but if more than 1 line can show up offensively per game, they'd be faring much better. For all the hatred and scorn tossed at Koivu, by comparison, Plex is treated with kid gloves around here. Of course, you can also throw the 3 games in 4 nights excuse out there. After coming out hard in the first, they had nothin' left.

"Suspect goaltending". Man, just because the Habs throttled the Leafs on Saturday, TSN has to take whatever jabs they can. Komi loses a battle in the corner (2 forecheckers, no support for Komi...not another habs anywhere near him other than Price) and Drury whips it top shelf. Price and Gorges bumble behind the goaline, Price should've recognized the pressure and either reversed the play or stayed in the net. Not long after that gaffe, he made a lightning quick glove grab. The third goal, I wasn't paying close enough attention as to what D screwed up, or who turned it over in the neutral zone, but that was a nice pass from Naslund, and a good redirect from Drury.

I'm optimistic that they'll make the playoffs, but not so optimistic that any other line is going to step up and start playing. Focus on shutting down 13-11-27, and they're done in the 1st round.

(Quick sidenote on Avery...I can see why Dallas dumped him, he and Ott have the same identical game, except Ott doesn't open his mouth at every opportunity (to the media). Secondly, how can the refs NOT pay slightly more attention to the guy. He plays like an absolute dirtbag, and goes over the line after every whistle, every hit, every everything. If you don't want to put his team down a man, at least give him 10 to go sit. I know when I used to play, I'd get the little "Hey 21..." and the knowing look from the refs before every game. And when I did stupid shit (too often) I'd get called for it.)

...how can the refs NOT pay slightly more attention to the guy....
Because, and I submit to Gary Bettman one simple truth: Sean Avery IS the face of the NHL!!!

Think about it. Who gets the most press on the highlight reels (Tim Thomas incident) time and time again for the wrong reasons? Who gets away with blatant nonsense (more so that Jarko Ruutu even) that isn't called? Who gets on George Strombopolous? What is the saying? "If you don't speak out against it - you tolerate it" and the NHL is quite super content with him. Nope, it isn't Crosby or Ovechkin who is the face of the game - IT'S AVERY! :angry:

Once Timmy Thomas wakes up and realizes he's Tim Thomas, his new contract is going to look awfully big. Here's hoping he realizes who he is starting on Thursday.

Unreal. Thomas has played the entire season and led the league, or very close to it, in GAA. He has been consistently solid all season, and while he isn't Roberto Luongo, he is a toss-up with Mason for the Vezina and has had a great year. Leave it to Habs fans to look at Price/Halak, who together have taken turns shitting the bed since the ASG, and think that Thomas is in trouble.

If they match up with BOS they will get stomped in five, quit being delusional.

Unreal. Thomas has played the entire season and led the league, or very close to it, in GAA. He has been consistently solid all season, and while he isn't Roberto Luongo, he is a toss-up with Mason for the Vezina and has had a great year. Leave it to Habs fans to look at Price/Halak, who together have taken turns shitting the bed since the ASG, and think that Thomas is in trouble.

Anything can happen against the Bruins in the playoffs, but Thomas definitely doesn't get the respect he's earned.

Tanguay - Koivu - Kovalev

Higgins - Plekanec - Kostitsyn

Latendresse - Lapierre - Kostopoulos

Stewart - Metropolit - Laraque

Gorges - Komisarek

Hamrlik - Brisebois

Weber - Dandenault

Price

Please. That's as strong a team as you'll get with Markov and Schneider out.

Exactly the lines i want to see, word for word, player for player.

:clap:

I can only hope.

I just can't believe half of this team is playing for contracts. If we resign everybody, we'll have the lowest salary mass of the league...

Why would they resign everyone? Do you like what you have seen this year?

Maybe you meant not resign anyone, then they'll have 25 mill to spend on good players.

Why would they resign everyone? Do you like what you have seen this year?

Maybe you meant not resign anyone, then they'll have 25 mill to spend on good players.

He was commenting on the fact that many of our impending free agents have lowered their value because of their play this season. Basically, it boils down to the fact that if we were to pay our players what they were worth this season, only a handful of guys would be making any money.

He was commenting on the fact that many of our impending free agents have lowered their value because of their play this season. Basically, it boils down to the fact that if we were to pay our players what they were worth this season, only a handful of guys would be making any money.

But thing is, I'm not even sure recent poor play of Komisarek, etc have lowered their value that much. Just think Michael Ryder... A team who believe they can make them play at their right level should be tempted to pay much more than this supposed value they had recently.

I keep thinking that Komisarek will get 5M or even more somewhere in the NHL.

Edited by JoeLassister

But thing is, I'm not even sure recent poor play of Komisarek, etc have lowered their value that much. Just think Michael Ryder... A team who believe they can make them play at their right level should be tempted to pay much more than this supposed value they had recently.

I keep thinking that Komisarek will get 5M or even more somewhere in the NHL.

I can almost guarantee someone will pay over 5 million for Komisarek. (rumor is the islanders have a 6 million per deal waiting for him on July 1st) And we're talking long term like 7 years. Lesser players have been signed for a lot more. I believe this year is a fluke year for Mike, he's had bad luck with the injury, possibly still not 100%, he was playing great before the Lucic fight. Next year when he is 100% healthy I have a feeling he will return to form. I just hope he loves it here and will give us a home town discount.

I can almost guarantee someone will pay over 5 million for Komisarek. (rumor is the islanders have a 6 million per deal waiting for him on July 1st) And we're talking long term like 7 years. Lesser players have been signed for a lot more. I believe this year is a fluke year for Mike, he's had bad luck with the injury, possibly still not 100%, he was playing great before the Lucic fight. Next year when he is 100% healthy I have a feeling he will return to form. I just hope he loves it here and will give us a home town discount.

6 mil for seven years!

See ya later Mike.

6 mil for seven years!

See ya later Mike.

With the tax structure being what it is, the Habs would have to pay him 7mil per to be in the same ballpark. I agree...Komisarek is gone if that offer is out there...he'd be insane not to take it.

Please do me a favour and explain how Tim Thomas, a player who did not make the league

until the age of 31 miraculously drops his GAA from 3.13 to 2.07 and his SV% from .905 to .933

at an age where players are exiting their prime and not getting better.

Can you also explain to me why if he is not Luongo, why his stats are significantly better. And also

should I ascertain that Clemmensen, Anderson and Hiller are elite.

Should I also assume that Yann Danis is better than Halak and Price, he does have better stats.

Can we start a thread about how Gainey has ######ed up again?

Sorry if I am not buying that a 35 year old goaltender who has never won a playoff series and was

bouncing around every league known to man until his early 30s is not a great goaltender.

Byron Dafoe lead the league in all statistical categories in 1999. Turek and Cechmanek did as well.

Lalime was great in the regular season yet continually collapsed in big moments. I guess they PROVED

themselves as well.

It is not a stretch to expect a goaltender who is being propped up by a defensive system to be exposed

over a 7 game series. It may not happen in round one, but it will happen.

Edited by Wamsley01

Thomas has never won a playoff series - what respect has he earned? This is his first year where he doesn't look like a career back-up.

He plays for a team that are almost paranoid about letting up shots against on him. They have loaded up with good d-men and defensively responsible forwards.

I want to see him up against Washington, Pittsburgh or Carolina - or even Philly's pp - for a potential 7-games and come out on top because of him, to earn this respect. Even beating one of those teams, I'd think a lot more of him. I respect the way the scum protect him, how Julien intelligently designed the team and gameplan to do so.

Who is saying that Price and Halak are better than him this year, btw?