To all you gamers experts out there

KoZed

Ok, for those in the know, last week I lost almost everything I owned when my appartment building burned down.

So now I have to buy everything again.

I thought one of those things I needed to buy should be totally gratuitous. Some expensive shit just to comfort myself and make me forget about all I lost.

So I decided I wanted to buy a game console.

Thing is: I dont know which one I should buy.

So I need your input to decide which one I'm buying. I'm hesitating between XBox 360 and PS3...

Help me out here.

Do you just want to play games or do you want the whole media package?

The 360 has a better library of games but if you want a whole bunch of bells and whistles then get a PS3. It's library isn't up to the level of the 360's but it's not exactly poor either.

Oh yeah, what genre is your thing too? 360 is heavy on shooters but they're basically all worth playing. If you really like RPG's, the PS3 is the way to go. Any other genre both systems cover pretty well.

Edited by jetsniper

Do you just want to play games or do you want the whole media package?

Mostly for games first and foremost. And I wont buy a new one anything soon, so I want one that's gonna be good for a long while.

Media package = what exactly?

Mostly for games first and foremost. And I wont buy a new one anything soon, so I want one that's gonna be good for a long while.

Media package = what exactly?

The PS3 is more versatile for various forms of media since it can play Blu-Ray, whereas the 360 only does DVDs. Jets will know more about videos, but I think both systems allow for the download on movies and TV shows. I think the PS3 also has a free music video service.

From what I hear, the PS3 is a better Blu-Ray player than most stand alone Blu-Ray units. That's one reason shelling out the extra 100 bucks or so for the PS3 isn't unreasonable.

Sports games I would assume are about the same, the only PS3 exclusive I can think of is the MLB game. Like Jets said, there are more FPS games for 360, but the PS3 isn't exactly short on them.

If money were no object, I'd likely opt for the PS3.

Both Microsoft and Sony are hoping to extend on the life of their systems so I don't think you have to worry about the next big thing. The only console rumor I've heard is for the Wii 2. For example, this winter will mark the 360 matching the original Xbox's lifespan and nothing has been announced. They're both hoping to go at least 10 years before putting the Xbox 720 and PS4 out.

Best online service is Microsoft, they have an exclusive deal with Netflix so that you can stream movies right from the console plus the setup is a lot cleaner and easier to use. It's also backwards compatible whereas none of the current PS3's on the market are. The consensus for the best controller out there is the 360 controller but like Fanpuck said, the PS3 has the Blu-Ray edge but a player is in the works for the 360.

The PS3 can read any file type out there though with multiple flash card readers, it's helpful if you don't mind pirating movies and stuff. It can also create it's own Wi-Fi signal so you don't need to buy a wireless adapter like you do for the 360. You can't ignore the failure rate of the 360 either.

Honestly, if you want gaming first and foremost then the choice is pretty easy for me. Get a 360. It gets all the love whenever theres a get-together, it's a better party console as well.

I'm sorry you lost all you stuff Koz. I have a super NES with tons of mario games and a couple almost Mint underwear If you want!!

I like the PS3... but I love the X360.

You can't go wrong with either of them, but if you are interested in gaming online with a ton of HW folk, you're definitely better off with the 360. If you're a single player gamer, the 360 works too - but maybe the PS3 becomes more appealing.

Also, if you're going to buy a sick TV and want Blu-Ray - definitely go with hte PS3.

As for Me I own a PS1 and I'm looking to change.

I like sports and war games. which one should I buy ??

I like the PS3... but I love the X360.

You can't go wrong with either of them, but if you are interested in gaming online with a ton of HW folk, you're definitely better off with the 360. If you're a single player gamer, the 360 works too - but maybe the PS3 becomes more appealing.

Also, if you're going to buy a sick TV and want Blu-Ray - definitely go with hte PS3.

Eh, even when I'm gaming by myself, I find myself playing the 360 more often.

Jeez, I'm even more split than before.

I'm still waiting to know if they'll be able to salvage some of my other stuff (TV, etc. ) so if they dont, I'll also need to buy a new DVD player + sound system, etc. Think PS3 is better for all that?

As for games: I want great definition first and foremost­. After that, I want the main blockbusters. Fallout 3 is the best game I've played (on the PC) in years. Before that it was F.E.A.R. Halo 2 bored me to tears. I've never played FPS online so I cant say if I'd like it or now. I'm a huge sports games fan though, and would love to play those online.

Jeez, I'm even more split than before.

I'm still waiting to know if they'll be able to salvage some of my other stuff (TV, etc. ) so if they dont, I'll also need to buy a new DVD player + sound system, etc. Think PS3 is better for all that?

As for games: I want great definition first and foremost­. After that, I want the main blockbusters. Fallout 3 is the best game I've played (on the PC) in years. Before that it was F.E.A.R. Halo 2 bored me to tears. I've never played FPS online so I cant say if I'd like it or now. I'm a huge sports games fan though, and would love to play those online.

PS3 is a better choice if you need a DVD player as well. You can rip music to both consoles but honestly, if you need a new sound system then get a new sound system. I wouldn't use either console for that. The 360 has the advantage of being able to play music in-game though, I've always liked listening to my own music while playing a game like Gears of War.

Both consoles can play games at about the same quality with the edge usually going to the 360. PS3 still has a lot of jaggies and the picture isn't quite as clear. There isn't a noticeable difference though. 360 has the bigger franchises right now though, if you want to make sure you can play the big name games, I'd still go the Microsoft route.

Let me guess: red ring of death? :P

No, I've never actually gotten the RROD. It's the Unplayable Disc Error, I keep getting. I guess technically this console still works, it was just a pain in the ass eventually. You had to open and close the tray over and over until the console would read the disc, the longest I ever spent trying to play a game is an hour.

Maca and Stealth should remember this very well. It happened a couple weeks before Halo 3 came out and got progressively worse the longer I kept it. Around January/February 2008 I just stopped playing 360 altogether until I could afford to buy a new one last June.

Been considering doing the towel trick on it actually and getting it repaired for free. Then just sell it to someone or trade it in at EB for some free credit or something.

• 8 months later...
The deed is done. Just got the XBox 360 Elite Holiday Bundle + AC2.

In other words: you lucky guys wont see or hear from me for some time. :P

!!!

Add me on Xbox Live, yes? Psycing is my handle there (surprise surprise)

Nyce. Going to get NHL10?

Most def. Twas the #1 reason I wanted a console, since now EASports basically stopped updating NHL for the PC

Right now I'm just blown away by the graphics. My last console was a Sega Master System, so you can imagine the leap. :P

Most def. Twas the #1 reason I wanted a console, since now EASports basically stopped updating NHL for the PC

Right now I'm just blown away by the graphics. My last console was a Sega Master System, so you can imagine the leap. :P

haha wow... yeah I can imagine.

NHL10 is basically the only game I'm playing right now... when I have time... so we can get some matches in when you do.

Holy ninima !

But I really miss those 2D games from the 90's; they were fun

When I had a PS2, I had a CD (or DVD) with ALL the Super Nintendo games :clap:

The deed is done. Just got the XBox 360 Elite Holiday Bundle + AC2.

In other words: you lucky guys wont see or hear from me for some time. :P

Same here, bought the same, except with Fifa10. Really enjoying it! I bought it for christmas. Yeah i buy my own presents ;)

Edited by Dutch_Habs_Fan

NHL10 is basically the only game I'm playing right now... when I have time... so we can get some matches in when you do.

Got NHL10 two days ago. Soooo many things to toy with!!! I basically dont play any games, I spend way too much time creating plays, teams, players, etc.

One major gripe -- and I know it's a staple of EA Sports -- is the UI. Soooo painful sometimes. The Free Agents list never ends. I created Johm Tavares. Took about 10 minutes to go down the list all the way to the T's. I'm scared of creating a guy that starts with Y or Z.