The Habsworld.net 2009 Playoff Thread

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By not calling some obvious penalties in the 3rd period

It was a two way street, they weren't calling anything on either side. There were only three penalties called the entire game. I noticed a couple that Avery almost drew, but it's been obvious since he came back that refs will let almost anything go when it comes to people messing with Avery.

It's not like Ovechkin vs. Pittsburgh was a foregone conclusion if the Caps won. It took that great comeback by the Canes to setup the matchup.

I wanted to post this somewhere on HW since I got a pain in the gut laughing so hard. I took it off of another board. Don't ask why Jokinen is featured but the caption was "How Gary reacted when he knew Crosby would face Ovechkin." Priceless.

bettmanrofl.gif

I wanted to post this somewhere on HW since I got a pain in the gut laughing so hard. I took it off of another board. Don't ask why Jokinen is featured but the caption was "How Gary reacted when he knew Crosby would face Ovechkin." Priceless.

bettmanrofl.gif

:lol:

All four matchups look infinitely better than anything the first round provided. (Well, except for the display that *should* have come from the Sharks/Ducks series.)

All four matchups look infinitely better than anything the first round provided. (Well, except for the display that *should* have come from the Sharks/Ducks series.)

Chicago-Calgary, NYR-Washington and Carolina-NJ were all good.

Chicago-Calgary, NYR-Washington and Carolina-NJ were all good.

I think you just search out my posts to be purposefully contrary. ;)

Chico-Clg was okay. Rags, Was was the epitome of dull - Ovech didn't play up to standards for longs stretches and the Rags were as offensive as a ball of cheese - in other words, it was a trap series. And speaking of trap series, there's ANYONE versus NJ. Boredom personified. If you consider those good, that's great. Glad you enjoyed them. To me? Other than Chico Clg, I'd rather chew off my own arm and beat myself to death.

I think you just search out my posts to be purposefully contrary. ;)

Chico-Clg was okay. Rags, Was was the epitome of dull - Ovech didn't play up to standards for longs stretches and the Rags were as offensive as a ball of cheese - in other words, it was a trap series. And speaking of trap series, there's ANYONE versus NJ. Boredom personified. If you consider those good, that's great. Glad you enjoyed them. To me? Other than Chico Clg, I'd rather chew off my own arm and beat myself to death.

The Rags-Caps series featured some fantastic goaltending on both sides and it came right down to the wire. Stretches of each game may have been a little dull, but the series as a whole was good.

Did you watch any of the Canes-Devils series? It sounds like you're basing your opinion on NJ's reputation, not on the games themselves. NJ averaged 35 shots a game and the Canes averaged 34. That's hardly Devils trapping hockey right there. That 1-0 game may look like a snoozer at first glance, but there were 90 shots taken in that game, and it wasn't just a bunch of shots from the point. Seeing what I did of the series, I wish I had been able to see more.

The Rags-Caps series featured some fantastic goaltending on both sides and it came right down to the wire. Stretches of each game may have been a little dull, but the series as a whole was good.

Did you watch any of the Canes-Devils series? It sounds like you're basing your opinion on NJ's reputation, not on the games themselves. NJ averaged 35 shots a game and the Canes averaged 34. That's hardly Devils trapping hockey right there. That 1-0 game may look like a snoozer at first glance, but there were 90 shots taken in that game, and it wasn't just a bunch of shots from the point. Seeing what I did of the series, I wish I had been able to see more.

The Canes-Devils series had some fantastic moments too. Canes turning the series around in like, 40 seconds. Or that game winning goal with 0.2 seconds left in game 2 or 3, I forget. Then Brodeur's ensuing temper tantrum even though the refs had the call right in the first place. It was pretty exciting.

Chicago-Calgary had some great intensity too. That series would've been better if the Flames weren't handicapped by injuries (and the guys who actually did play didn't look like they had their heads up their asses. That series convinced me Iginla is overrated as a leader)

Colin has a point about the NYR/WSH series though. The only thing entertaining about the Rangers was Lundqvist, the rest of the team was piss poor to watch.

Edited by jetsniper

Gotta be honest... I find myself watching much more playoff hockey post-Habs than I imagined I would. I think it has something to do with the fact that I've been watching Montreal's dismal play for the last 3+ months. It's refreshing to see good hockey.

Gotta be honest... I find myself watching much more playoff hockey post-Habs than I imagined I would. I think it has something to do with the fact that I've been watching Montreal's dismal play for the last 3+ months. It's refreshing to see good hockey.

Same here.

I'm enjoying watching the Hawks so much, it makes me even more bitter about the Habs piss-poor play. Toews, Kane, Sharp, Bolland, Barker, Campbell, Seabrook... Habs should be that team.

Same here.

I'm enjoying watching the Hawks so much, it makes me even more bitter about the Habs piss-poor play. Toews, Kane, Sharp, Bolland, Barker, Campbell, Seabrook... Habs should be that team.

They would be with 4-5 top 5 draft picks.

As one of the teams biggest results critics would you "allow" them to be that bad for that long to get those players?

Didn't think so

Did the Bruins pay for the cup or something? Its not like they needed the refs help to beat the Habs, but they sure got them. Now, 0.2 seconds left in the 2nd, Carolina scores number 3. Even McGuire says it was in. There was a definitive shot of the puck with white between the puck and the line. Decision from Toronto, no goal.

What a crock. If the Bruins come back in this one, the Canes got ripped. I have no idea how with a 5 minute review in toronto, they can't see that is over the line.

Did the Bruins pay for the cup or something? Its not like they needed the refs help to beat the Habs, but they sure got them. Now, 0.2 seconds left in the 2nd, Carolina scores number 3. Even McGuire says it was in. There was a definitive shot of the puck with white between the puck and the line. Decision from Toronto, no goal.

What a crock. If the Bruins come back in this one, the Canes got ripped. I have no idea how with a 5 minute review in toronto, they can't see that is over the line.

If I were in their position, I wouldn't have been willing to stake my job on saying that puck was over the line beyond a shadow of a doubt. The net obstructed the view of the goal line enough that you couldn't tell for sure what was white and what wasn't. It looked like it was over the line, but there's no way I'd say I was 100% sure about it.

I would say it's 200% over the line. Slow-mo above the net have totally confirms it. Toronto totally screwed up on this one.

The war room usually doesn't make mistakes anymore thanks to all that high tech equipment, but when they do it's unacceptable for that very same reason. Thankfully it didn't have any impact on the decision of the game.

Proof.

Edited by ForumGhost

I would say it's 200% over the line. Slow-mo above the net have totally confirms it. Toronto totally screwed up on this one.

The war room usually doesn't make mistakes anymore thanks to all that high tech equipment, but when they do it's unacceptable for that very same reason. Thankfully it didn't have any impact on the decision of the game.

Proof.

Thanks for the pics. The overhead angle would appear to be conclusive... looks like they blew that one.