Laraque is an embarrassment

les_glorieux

WTF...do people not understand? Laraque challenged Lucic who skated away, and he challenged Thornton to a fight and he said no. He embarrassed both of them. They wanted no part of Laraque because they knew what was going to happen. So what is Laraque suppose to do? Drop his gloves and pummel them. Then he gets an instigator at the minimum and now hurts his team instead of giving them a lift or helping them.

An instigator means nothing in a 5-1 game.

Sending a message does. But I don't blame Georges, he doesn't want a suspension, and that's a good choice.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF...do people not understand? Laraque challenged Lucic who skated away, and he challenged Thornton to a fight and he said no. He embarrassed both of them. They wanted no part of Laraque because they knew what was going to happen. So what is Laraque suppose to do? Drop his gloves and pummel them. Then he gets an instigator at the minimum and now hurts his team instead of giving them a lift or helping them. IT was the same thing in the Phenoix game where Kostopoulus had to fight Sauer.

Before people go disparaging Laraque they should get there facts straight.....or actually watch a game.

You are completely right, not everyone in the league is into taking the type of beating gratton took the other night, we have other guys on the team as well that need to step up physically, some people should be playing bigger knowing that george is around to take care of things.... as far as komi fighting thats been brewing for a year, he wanted it just as much as lucic

we have other guys on the team as well that need to step up physically, some people should be playing bigger knowing that george is around to take care of things

I agree completely!

I think we were more physical last year (if someone could find team hit stats and verify this, up to this point last year that would be great) and I was expecting them to be more physical this year with BGL on the bench. I don't understand why O'Byrne doesn't use his size more, as I said before that is the main reason he is in the NHL. But it isn't just him, almost everyone could step up.

I agree with Kaos and MMPL. This thread is a little too premature if yo ask me. True, I was disappointed to see Komisarek get injured in his Fight with Lucic, but Lucic declined Georges offer.

What else could he do? I thin we should wait a little longer before we start shitting on Big Georges head!

I agree with Kaos and MMPL. This thread is a little too premature if yo ask me. True, I was disappointed to see Komisarek get injured in his Fight with Lucic, but Lucic declined Georges offer.

What else could he do? I thin we should wait a little longer before we start shitting on Big Georges head!

I would want nothing more than seeing BGL kicking Lucic's ass on Saturday :)

Edited by MMPL

I think it will just not happen. Thornton vs Laraque is a lock in my mind.

I agree, but you know Georges will at least ask Lucic to go prompting the crowd to roar and Lucic will pussy out and I hope the crowd laughs.

But yeah, I'm sure that we could see another Georges vs Thornton. One of many between the two in my opinion.

I just hope our habs completely humiliate the pooh-bears!

And I hope Big Georges kicks Lucic's ass...Thornton will do if Lucic refuses again!

Edited by Habsfan

I just hope our habs completely humiliate the pooh-bears!

And I hope Big Georges kicks Lucic's ass...Thornton will do if Lucic refuses again!

Laraque shoud stir the pot more often. he should be the one starting the fires.

The REAL problem here is the instigator rule itself, which prevents players like Laraque from fulfilling their proper function - that function being to keep opposing players honest by beating the living sh*t out of anyone who runs at our guys. This role of the enforcer was a solution to the inherent dangers of playing competitive hockey that evolved organically from within the sport. But the NHL, in its infinite stupidity, has chosen to interfere with this internally-developed solution, and to punish players who protect their teammates with an "instigator" penalty and a possible suspension. So now we're in the ludicrous situation where players can "refuse" to fight guys who scare them, and thus continue on doing whatever the hell they like on the ice.

In short, don't blame Laraque for the NHL's B.S. rules.

Frankly, what I'm more worried about is the deflation of Komisarek's mystique. This guy was developing a rep as one of the most bruising d-men in hockey, and now Lucic simply whups him! Not good - in boxing terms, it lets Lucic "own" Komi's "heart," and by extension, us.

The REAL problem here is the instigator rule itself, which prevents players like Laraque from fulfilling their proper function - that function being to keep opposing players honest by beating the living sh*t out of anyone who runs at our guys. This role of the enforcer was a solution to the inherent dangers of playing competitive hockey that evolved organically from within the sport. But the NHL, in its infinite stupidity, has chosen to interfere with this internally-developed solution, and to punish players who protect their teammates with an "instigator" penalty and a possible suspension. So now we're in the ludicrous situation where players can "refuse" to fight guys who scare them, and thus continue on doing whatever the hell they like on the ice.

In short, don't blame Laraque for the NHL's B.S. rules.

Frankly, what I'm more worried about is the deflation of Komisarek's mystique. This guy was developing a rep as one of the most bruising d-men in hockey, and now Lucic simply whups him! Not good - in boxing terms, it lets Lucic "own" Komi's "heart," and by extension, us.

I swear, sometimes I feel like you are in my brain.

Couldn't have said it any better myself, especially the part concerning Komisarek. This game on Saturday means a whole lot more than most fans (and probably players) think. The last thing we need is to further boost the confidence of the Bruins and have them thinking that we have now become their bitch..

What am I missing here, Komo breaks his hands against Lucic's head and Lucic "whups" him? I don't think so. I think Lucic celebrated a fight he only won because he had a helmet on. Lose the helmets then fight, or are you all cowards? No, pay back will be dished out in full on Saturday, mark my words. This started here in Halifax in the preseason, and ends Saturday. Now with Komo, Cube and Kosto injured who does Lucic fight? I bet he goes for Big Bro Kostitsyn. Coward! Man up Lucic, dance with Big Georges. I hope BGL doesn't fight until then, get that rigfht back in form!

Remeber when you guys by large didn't even want a goon? What would we be saying about the coming game then? "We don't need a goon, our skill will win out"? Y'all should apologise for your lack of hockey knowledge. I forgive your ignorance! At least this site at large is waking to the fact that goons have a place and role in the NHL.

Well, now I will call for the league to bring in a 2 minute penalty for fighting with your helmet on! Make them take it off, at the rates they are paid, being sidelined because of hitting a helmet is wrong and the league could fix that problem. Juniors do it, why not pros? Oh, and put face gaurds on "every" helmet!!!!!! Stupid league officials. Smell the coffee! Oh, and get rid of the delay of game for clearing the glass in your end. Make it same as icing, no line change. Also, how come everyone but those in charge seem to realize touch up icing is just dumb? Fools in power!!

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

Well, now I will call for the league to bring in a 2 minute penalty for fighting with your helmet on! Make them take it off, at the rates they are paid, being sidelined because of hitting a helmet is wrong and the league could fix that problem.

I totally agree about the Komo comments.

But, if you make players take off their helmets before they fight, I think more injuries will happen, by hitting your head on the ice after a takedown, or more punches to the head.

It should be a players choice, I know Iginla likes it, but I don't think BGL has ever done it.

Couldn't have said it any better myself, especially the part concerning Komisarek. This game on Saturday means a whole lot more than most fans (and probably players) think. The last thing we need is to further boost the confidence of the Bruins and have them thinking that we have now become their bitch..

That's why Saturday's game is soooooooo crucial. We not only need to beat the Pooh-Bears, we need to kick their asses!! All of them, from Lucic and Thornton to Savard and Axelsson!

We can not let them beat us again, cause that will give them the last push that they need to increase their confidence level against us!

But, if you make players take off their helmets before they fight, I think more injuries will happen, by hitting your head on the ice after a takedown, or more punches to the head.

In all my days watching hockey, I've never seen anyone injure their head in a fight because their helmet wasn't on. I can't even recall a guy hitting his head hard with a helmet on. I mean, if we were really worried about that, wouldn't we be calling for fights to be stopped as soon as a helmet came off? The only thing worse than helmets during a fight is visors during a fight.

As for someone's comment about Komi losing because of Lucic's helmet, that's hilarious. Helmet or not, Lucic wins that fight.

Remeber when you guys by large didn't even want a goon? What would we be saying about the coming game then? "We don't need a goon, our skill will win out"? Y'all should apologise for your lack of hockey knowledge. I forgive your ignorance! At least this site at large is waking to the fact that goons have a place and role in the NHL.

There's always been those who wanted a goon, but what I'm reading here is a lot of frustration that our goon can't do his job because nobody wants to fight him and he'd get an instigator penalty if he forces the issue. If anything, that only casts more doubt on whether a goon is relevant for this team, in this league.

In an ideal world, I'd like to see a return to the days when teams had a few players who were tough as nails, but could also play the game. John Ferguson would take on anybody, but could also score 20 goals.

In all my days watching hockey, I've never seen anyone injure their head in a fight because their helmet wasn't on. I can't even recall a guy hitting his head hard with a helmet on. I mean, if we were really worried about that, wouldn't we be calling for fights to be stopped as soon as a helmet came off? The only thing worse than helmets during a fight is visors during a fight.

As for someone's comment about Komi losing because of Lucic's helmet, that's hilarious. Helmet or not, Lucic wins that fight.

Well, in defence of Komi's pugilistic skills, he may have gotten injured early in the fight, so it might not be truly representative. (Isn't there a norm in NHL fighting that if the other guy is hurt, you ease up? If so, did Komi fail to plead injury, or did Lucic just not give a crap?) Anyway, the optics are what matter and right now, as far as the Bruins and perhaps most of the NHL is concerned, our most feared blueliner was whupped.

It's sort of the Larry Robinson effect in reverse. Big Bird famously pulverized Flyers toughie Gary Dornhoffer (sp?) with a boards-bending check and the psychology between the two teams partially tilted as a result. I'm worried that this time, it's working against us.

It's sort of the Larry Robinson effect in reverse. Big Bird famously pulverized Flyers toughie Gary Dornhoffer (sp?) with a boards-bending check and the psychology between the two teams partially tilted as a result. I'm worried that this time, it's working against us.

Boards Bending?? Let me rephrase that for you. ;):D it was more like a boards DESTROYING check!!!

I've never seen anything like it since!

Edited by Habsfan

In an ideal world, I'd like to see a return to the days when teams had a few players who were tough as nails, but could also play the game. John Ferguson would take on anybody, but could also score 20 goals.

There are plenty of guys who can fight and play hockey, take for example Milan Lucic who has owned the Canadiens ever since the last playoffs; he's been such a tough competitor and pugilist that many Habs fans have labeled him as a talent-less goon unworthy of any comparison to Guillaume Latendresse, but the fact is that this guy is an emerging young hockey star who can also play. As a matter of fact, he was a star player in the WHL, the leader of the Memorial Cup champions, and tournament MVP.

There are also some top players in the recent past who would bemore than willing to drop the gloves like like Joe Thornton, Jarome Iginla, Brendan Shanahan, Eric Lindros .... however with time they realised that not only were they more useful on the ice, but the risks of injury was too great.

As for the goons of the past such as Ferguson, Nilan, or Probert, I don't think they were necessarily better players than the likes of Brashear, Laraque, or Simon, but they played with better players. When Chris Nilan scored 21 goals, he wasn't playing with marginal players like Dandeneault and Begin, but Carbonneau and Gainey. Actually Laraque and Simon had some offensive success when asked to complete lines with good offensive players in the past.

In Big Georges mom i trust.

A goon becomes a wuss when he scores.

Look at Neil,Tocchet, Domi all finished as wuss.

Lucic is not a goon he is a talented mutant with too much energy due to drinking too many redbull.

One day is arrogance will go against him and will meet an unkown leftie puncher like our Stewart and

will see stars from the ice. After that day only he will be more careful. It's called putting ice in the brain

cells. So far he only avoids heavyweight.

To anyone who say that Laraque is an embarassment i suggest first to go say it to Laraque mom and

after that if you're still alive go tell that to Big Georges face to face.

Yeah who cares !! ... maybe next time Laraque can just start punching Ryder in the face and he'll have to fight back right ? then Shawn Thornton can just start punching Tanguay in the face ... he has to start punching back right ? ... maybe Lucic can just start punching Koivu and then Komi can start going after Bergeron.

Thx for being smart. ;)

No clue why some people think BGL should have gone after Ruutu. :o Like Neil wouldnt have gone after Koivu while BGL was serving his 5 mins. You cant have the largest guy on your team going after the smallest guy on the other team. Thats a recipe for disaster.

Say if the Habs were playing the Wild and Koivu bumps Backstrum I dont think anybody on the Wild would expect Boogaard to beat Koivu up. Heavyweights cant go after welterweights and if they do then its game on and anything and everything becomes fair game. The Habs are a lot bigger now then they used to be but they still arent considered a tough team so at no point should the Habs go around instigating riots. Its not in their best interest to do so because they wont win.

Laraque shoud stir the pot more often. he should be the one starting the fires.

No, no, no. All of the best sh*t distibers are small for a reason. i.e. Tucker, Avery, Ruutu. Its because when another teams finally does something back to any of these players their entire teams gets put into attack mode because a larger player attacked one of their teammates.

Whatever BGL would do to a player while stirring the pot do you really think the other team will take it out on BGL, or do you think the retaliation would be against 1 of the Habs top players. Seeing how everybody is afraid of BGL its guarenteed the retaliation wont be against BGL for whatever action he might do. BGL has be careful, I am sure he is well aware of this.

Regarding the Stewart clip, ya, I have seen Lats drop a guy with 1 punch too , but he sure isnt a tough guy. :lol:

Trade BGL, Habs have Lats. :P

I only just got my first good look at the fight. I don't think Komisarek got destroyed or embarassed in that fight like people have been saying, he hung on for a long time and threw plenty of his own punches.

But he lost it without a doubt and Lucic's helmet is no excuse.

• 4 months later...

I have had a problem with BGL'S play all season.

O.K .......so he is healthy. Right? Atleast we hope.

Boston is not going to fight with him. In fact they will be told to walk away at every opportunity. Will this lead to Laraque becoming a liability?

We all know Big George reads these forums so let's help him out. There are plenty of great hockey minds here at HW, I'm sure he can take something good away from it and take it to the ice. Yes armchair GM's and armchair coach's, I know but something has to give with this guy?

Does he just grab and pound?

Does he get in front of the net and look for his first goal?

He needs to skate like the wind, I've seen it for about 1 minute. He can skate, but nothing bothers me more then how lazy he gets after one hard shift. Skating back he takes slow strides, almost like he's saving his breath in case he'll have to fight when the whistle blows in our corner..

I don't want to bash.

What can BGL do to be effective in this series because no Bruin is going to dance with him.