April 20th, 2009 | Canadiens vs. Bruins | Game 3 Thread

Cataclaw

You Price haters were bitchin' about Price making a big save, that was a big save. It's up to the rest of the team to tie it up, unless ya wanna complain about Prices' lack of scoring this year too.

Bullshite that was the time the team needed the save...the team needed him to do it when they were pummeling the Bruins in the first period. 'Money' goaltenders close the door until their team gets that second goal, and Price just isn't at that level. Komisarek made the 'TSN Turning Point' mistake, and Price didn't track the puck well enough to bail him out. Give them equal billing on the goat horns.

Edited by sbhatt

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, they have 30M+ to spend on next season. THey need to make sure that they

are flexible after next season though when the cap drops.

I am soooo bitter about having tickets to game 4. What an expensive mistake. I will have to dig up a brown paper bag to put holes in.

Edited by sbhatt

Bullshite that was the time the team needed the save...the team needed him to do it when they were pummeling the Bruins in the first period. 'Money' goaltenders close the door until their team gets that second goal, and Price just isn't at that level. Komisarek made the 'TSN Turning Point' mistake, and Price didn't track the puck well enough to bail him out. Give them equal billing on the goat horns.

Yawn, this was not on Price. They have 5 goals in 3 games and this is Price's fault?

An 8 seed is losing to a 1 seed, a 1 seed that went 5-0-1 against the Habs this year. And that was a healthy team.

Reality check - THE BRUINS ARE BETTER, Thomas might as well have taken up the Dryden pose, the only reason

the Habs were in the game was because he blew the Higgins shot and was shaky on the Weber goal.

Edited by Wamsley01

I just don't see blaming Price for this particular loss. Guess I'm nuts.

The Bruins just have much stronger defensive coverage. Even when we 'dominate' them as we did for the first half, not that many serious scoring chances are generated. The puck flies around but tends not to get on net. When they start pressuring us, though, they tend to get quality chances. Note, also, that Thomas gave up two questionable goals. It's not like the Habs got badly outgoaltended tonight.

As for the idea of firing Gainey as GENERAL MANAGER because of decisions he makes as COACH...for Pete's sake. I have a better idea: rational fan commentary.

Another observation. Koivu did not elevate his game for this series. He looked just as slow in these three games as he's looked for the entire second half.

I love the guy, but he's done.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Besides the Price fiasco, another thing I can't understand is our 3rd period play this year. Last year, we *owned* the 3rd period. (Remember the comeback against the Rangers, among others.) This year, we've been truly bad in the 3rd - made me wonder if we were in the proper physical shape!

I want Gainey gone next year, and I'm hoping we can get Hartley as coach. As far as the GM is concerned, if I were the owner and had the money (which Gilette doesn't), I would give Lou Amarello (sic) anything he wanted, to leave NJ and come to Montreal. He's the modern era Sammy Pollock.

- Jack

I am soooo bitter about having tickets to game 4. What an expensive mistake.

Join the club. I've got tickets for wednesday's game as well. I just hope we don't get eliminated wednesday!!

In any case, this team doesn't have what it takes to make it anywhere let alone the cup. How can a team change so drastically after such a great start???

well that sucks... but I want to talk for a second about Weber. Man was I impressed with this kid. He obviously is never going to be overly physical, and needs to keep working on his defensive zone coverage, but his vision on that goal was just amazing.

He took the puck off the draw, faked a shot right away, slowly drifted towards centre ice so that he was right behind two players. Then he fed his snap shot through BOTH players legs and right past a completely screened Thomas.

I really hope that it is a sign of things to come in the future, because this team really needs a Dman like him right now.

The Bruins just have much stronger defensive coverage. Even when we 'dominate' them as we did for the first half, not that many serious scoring chances are generated. The puck flies around but tends not to get on net. When they start pressuring us, though, they tend to get quality chances. Note, also, that Thomas gave up two questionable goals. It's not like the Habs got badly outgoaltended tonight.

As for the idea of firing Gainey as GENERAL MANAGER because of decisions he makes as coach...for Pete's sake, I have a better idea: rational fan commentary.

Another observation. Koivu did not elevate his game for this series. He looked just as slow in these three games as he's looked for the entire second half.

It's not on Price, he was average. Made some great saves, but also let up some weak goals.

He needed to be dominant, but that was an unrealistic expectation since he has not had a dominant game in 3 and a half months.

And I agree, Koivu is done and signing him to anything more than 2.5M is a big mistake.

You cannot pay players based on sentiment in a cap system.

As for the idea of firing Gainey as GENERAL MANAGER because of decisions he makes as COACH...for Pete's sake. I have a better idea: rational fan commentary.

Look, this team is beat up and facing the first seed. They need their goalie to win it, not just "not lose it". Price had another bad goal tonight when this team can't afford it. Of course it is not all his fault, the whole team sucks, but this guy doesn't look like a top goalie or a playoff performer.

Halak should play Wednesday, but no doubt Gainey will stick with his losing formula.

As for Koivu, he has been done for a while. He can have a couple of good games, but he doesn't have the energy to consistently be a top performer anymore.

Join the club. I've got tickets for wednesday's game as well. I just hope we don't get eliminated wednesday!!

In any case, this team doesn't have what it takes to make it anywhere let alone the cup. How can a team change so drastically after such a great start???

Whether they get eliminated or not really doesn't matter...they are done. I just hope Laraque mugs Lucic to give me something to feel good about.

How can a team change so drastically after such a great start???

It's a real mystery, all right. We went from being decent defensively to catastrophic. I think the explanation is:

a. injuries

b. the team quit on Carbo, but as the losses piled up their confidence started to collapse, leading to a vicious cycle

c. too many key young players allowed distractions to eat up their game

d. Price got hurt and that killed his confidence

e. Koivu is declining, and rapidly - as I've long predicted.

This team is not *as bad* as we think it is right now, any more than it is was *as good* as we thought it was in 2008. But retooling is definitely called for: especially in the form of acquiring another top-line centreman by hook or by crook. If Koivu gets much more than 50 points nexts season I will be surprised.

I'm very sad. I had such high hopes for this bunch in October. Dis hoits.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I haven't really been in either the Koivu is God camp, or the Koivu is finished camp this year. However, I have to say, he really just looks like he's finished. He isn't competing, isn't battling for pucks, is missing the net, is shying away from contact...

At this point signing him period would be a big mistake, let alone at a discounted rate. This team clearly has some building blocks, but is more than a bandaid away from being a contender. Let's cut the fat now before it really starts to kill us... in a cap system you just can't carry dead weight. I fear that a year from now, two years, who knows, Koivu will be just that.

Koivu just said it all.. we have to work really hard to score, and they... ah... "

If that's an accurate quote they should rip the C right off his sweater. What the hell kind of captain throws the teams starting goalie under the bus publicly.

I dont care if its the truth, he's the captain and that's shameful.

I haven't really been in either the Koivu is God camp, or the Koivu is finished camp this year. However, I have to say, he really just looks like he's finished. He isn't competing, isn't battling for pucks, is missing the net, is shying away from contact...

At this point signing him period would be a big mistake, let alone at a discounted rate. This team clearly has some building blocks, but is more than a bandaid away from being a contender. Let's cut the fat now before it really starts to kill us... in a cap system you just can't carry dead weight. I fear that a year from now, two years, who knows, Koivu will be just that.

If that's an accurate quote they should rip the C right off his sweater. What the hell kind of captain throws the teams starting goalie under the bus publicly.

He rambled on.. stopped himself, and said "boston capitalizes on their chances"... he also admitted they had doubts, but he had hope... HOPE!

ouch..

Well, he didn't complete the thought. He is probably more crushed than anyone involved, so I think he should get a *little* leeway.

I'd like to see Koivu retire after this season, now that you mention it. It would resolve a difficult dilemma for Gainey ('do I sign this guy for $3 mil when he won't be worth it, because I have no other C in the system?') and absolutely force his hand when it comes to acquiring another good C. I am beating the drums for Cammalleri, not because I think he's so great, but because I think he'd probably be a credible Koivu replacement and wouldn't require a trade, just money.

I don't think it should come as a big surprise to anyone that the habs as a team have zero confidence...

I hope they win the next one, but I fear they will just go through the motions and book a tee off.

To : Bob Gainey

You're fired. The end.

I don't think it should come as a big surprise to anyone that the habs as a team have zero confidence...

I hope they win the next one, but I fear they will just go through the motions and book a tee off.

No doubt in my mind they will pack it in.

Gainey needs to be aggressive this summer. With a ton of teams struggling with $$, some interesting options

may pop lose. With all the kids in their system, they need to strike now.

They aren't as far off as they seem right now.