What do we do for next year?

hab29RETIRED

With all the disasters during the 100th year celebration, I'm really worried about where we go from here and can we improve next year.

I think Gainey's decison of letting so many UFA's and RFA's play out their contracts instead of negotiating during the year is really going to handcuff us next year.

Which probably means the few guys that are willing to play here will probably be overpaid and riidicoulous contracts like Laraque was given - $1.5/yr over 3 yrs for a guy who shouldn't be playing more then 5 minutes a game?? :blink: :puke:

Here are the issues I see of guys that we will lose for NOTHING:

1) Komisorik - I really don't think the habs can afford to lose komisarik - he should have been signed during the year. He'll probably get close to $6M on the open market, so he is probably gone.

2) Koivu - If we had another centre, i'd say let Koivu walk, but who is going to replace him even as a 2nd line centre???

3) Tanguay - They will probably over pay Tangauy to keep him bcoz he is french - but really he doesn't deserve over $3.5M - I could even live with $4M, just bcoz they will have trouble signing anyone else.

4) Kovelev - Kovy, is a guy I wish they had traded, but if he actually wants to come back at a reduced rate, I'd take him - again, bcoz, I don't see anyone better willing to sign.

5) Schneider - I wouldn't mind seeing him back on a 1 yr deal, if he is willing to sign a Brisbiois deal under $2M.

6) Higgins - is an RFA - do we try and lock him up long term, or use him as trade bait??? Personlly I want to keep him, but will he sign a longer term deal considering his bargaining power is going to be low after this year. He'll porbably want a 1 or 2 yr deal to take him to UFA status. I'm sick of signing guys for the Ryder type 1 yr deals.

7) Pleks - If you don't keep Koivu and can't get another real centre - can you afford not to sign him up long term??? With the year he had, he probably is also going to be looking for a 1 or 2 year deal to take him to when he is a UFA.

8) Lang - he is a guy I'd like to re-sign - but only for a fraction of his $5M salary. Is he worth a risk at his age and the injury he is coming off???

9) They could try and trade for Vinny and get a 4-5 good years from in the short term out of him, but do you want a cap hit of $7.72M for a guy when he is 40 years old??? Personlly I'd like to see the has try to go after one of the 3 centres in Pittsburgh. They are very deep in impact centres (Malkin, Crosby, Stall), and could use some wingers which we are fairly deep on and over the long term, I can't seem them being able to pay 3 centres of that calibare market rates.

10) That brings us to my nightmare. The UFA crop has some guys that are enticing - Bowmester, Hossa, Gaborik, Havlet. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure, neither of these guys want anything to do with Montreal.

11) The only thing to look forward to is that we could get Emelin on D. Unfortunately other D prospects like McDonough and Subban aren't going to be ready for a few more years.

12) What do we do about Goaltending??? The halak, Price tandam really didn't work out. Do we get Price a vetern and if so who??? Do we send Price home with some help over the summer??? Or risk going with the same tandem next year??? I really wish they gave Halak more of a chance this year. You never know, he could turn out to be a Hasek or Vokum who both ended up becoming better then the goalies they were backing up.

13) Lastly who manages the team - or I guess the first question is who owns it???? I'd like to see Gainey back despite all of my critism of him the past month. He is the most stable guy we had in the last 16 years. But who coaches??? I really don't see any good experiened french coaches and not sure if I'm sold on Lever. Personally I'd like Laviolette, but he is not french, so despite the fact he is probably the best available coach out there, he probably won't even be considered.

So if we do lose our UFA's, can't sign any decent Free agents or swing a trade for a true #1 centre, are we going to be any better next year???? Other teams have been able to turn it around quick, because of their ability to attract key free agents to complement their home grown talent (i.e. Philly/Boston), but I can't see us being able to do that.

Maybe I'm overly pessimistic, but at the start of the year, this was supposed to be our year, our window of oppertunity before we had so many UFA's, and that window of oppertunity it just slammed shut.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we can still win four against the Broons then roll over the rest of the field. . . . . . . that would change everything!

Ok unlikely. I say start again, under new coach and new management style -- specifically we sign our players early rather than waiting so the whole league can bid on them and force up the price. Risk of sounding like Don Cherry, get some more big Canadians. I'd bet the current Habs would do better on an international rink size, for the NHL we need a few more forwards who can skate through defenders rather than going round them and ending up in the corner...

Based on the results of this draft 2003 NHL Entry Draft, as critical as it may be, Bob should be fired. Look at the talent left on the board, Canadian no less, and Bob the visionary opts for a Belarusian with significant medical concerns. Look for to the USHS player he picks in the first round this year. Job well don Robert.

we can still win four against the Broons then roll over the rest of the field. . . . . . . that would change everything!

Ok unlikely. I say start again, under new coach and new management style -- specifically we sign our players early rather than waiting so the whole league can bid on them and force up the price. Risk of sounding like Don Cherry, get some more big Canadians. I'd bet the current Habs would do better on an international rink size, for the NHL we need a few more forwards who can skate through defenders rather than going round them and ending up in the corner...

I disagree whole heartedly, I think teams would skate circles around the Habs. I only see very rare flashes of this great team speed we're supposed to have. None of our D-men are fleet of foot and only a few forwards are. Even some of our faster forwards don't use the speed they have.

Based on the results of this draft 2003 NHL Entry Draft, as critical as it may be, Bob should be fired. Look at the talent left on the board, Canadian no less, and Bob the visionary opts for a Belarusian with significant medical concerns. Look for to the USHS player he picks in the first round this year. Job well don Robert.

Except that Bob wasn't in charge of the 2003 draft...

We trade Price, Pleks, whatever it takes to get Vinny. Here's my projected lineup...

Tangs - Lecavalier - Hossa/Gaborik

A.Kost - Lang - Kovalev

E.Cole - Lapiere - Laperriere

Latendresse - Chipchura - Pahlsson

(extras Pacs, S.Kost, Dags)

Bouwmeester - Markov

Emelin - D.Morris

McLaren - Hamrlik

( extras Gorges, OByrne)

M.Biron

J. Halak

What I really want is a team that is TOUGH to play against. A team that NOBODY wants to play. There is no fear with playing the Canadiens this year, because they're a soft team.

I really don't see any good experiened french coaches

ummm...how about Bob Hartley???:rolleyes: he's won a cup and has proven to be an excellent coach!

We trade Price, Pleks, whatever it takes to get Vinny. Here's my projected lineup...

A.Kost - Lang - Kovalev

Bouwmeester - Markov

Emelin - D.Morris

McLaren - Hamrlik

( extras Gorges, OByrne)

M.Biron

J. Halak

What I really want is a team that is TOUGH to play against. A team that NOBODY wants to play. There is no fear with playing the Canadiens this year, because they're a soft team.

here we go again. Another person who thinks he's playing NHL 2009 on his playstation!

Edited by Habsfan

3) Tanguay - They will probably over pay Tangauy to keep him bcoz he is french - but really he doesn't deserve over $3.5M - I could even live with $4M, just bcoz they will have trouble signing anyone else.

The guy has had 4 77+ point seasons. Had he not been injured this year, he'd be our leading scorer. To offer him 3.5 million$ would be a slap in the face!

Thank the hockey gods you aren't the GM!!

Edited by Habsfan

The guy has had 4 77+ point seasons. Had he not been injured this year, he'd be our leading scorer. To offer him 3.5 million$ would be a slap in the face!

Thansk the hockey gods you aren't the GM!!

Talk to Calgary about Tanguay. He has not produced in the playoffs since leaving Colorado. Anything more the $4M is too much for a guy who hasn't been producing in the clutch and has had the soft label on him for the last 3-4 years. His current $5.25M is certainly WAY more then he is worth.

Haven't you been complaining about the lack of toughness on the habs???

Edited by hab29RETIRED

That was Andre Savard's draft. Gainey had just been named after one year away from Hockey. He didn't really know who A. Kost was.

Talk to Calgary about Tanguay. He has not produced in the playoffs since leaving Colorado. Anything more the $4M is too much for a guy who hasn't been producing in the clutch and has had the soft label on him for the last 3-4 years. His current $5.25M is certainly WAY more then he is worth.

Haven't you been complaining about the lack of toughness on the habs???

Yes I have, But I also said that we need talent as well. Tanguay played well in the first two games of the playoffs. he might not have any points to show for it, but let's not forget that he was playing on the 4th line!

Edited by Habsfan

A.Kost - Lang - Kovalev

Bouwmeester - Markov

Emelin - D.Morris

McLaren - Hamrlik

( extras Gorges, OByrne)

M.Biron

J. Halak

Not bad, I'd just get Luongo instead of Biron. Jeff Carter instead of Lang and Lucic instead of A. Kost.

:rolleyes:

dream on ;)

Yes I have, But I also said that we need talent as well. Tanguay played well in the first two games of the playoffs. he might not have any points to show for it, but let's not forget that he was playing on the 4th line!

He actually did have a point on Higgins' goal in Game 1.

Get better, younger, bigger, hungrier players. Oh, and preferably local boys that have to spend the summer hearing fans ask them why they flopped in the playoffs. Not guys that pack and leave as soon as the season ends.

Get better, younger, bigger, hungrier players. Oh, and preferably local boys that have to spend the summer hearing fans ask them why they flopped in the playoffs. Not guys that pack and leave as soon as the season ends.

Well, at least your message is consistant. That's all you add to the discussion though. Local, Quebec, ya ya, we get it.

Well, at least your message is consistant. That's all you add to the discussion though. Local, Quebec, ya ya, we get it.

where are you from? what's your local team?

tell me flat out that you would want your local team to be filled by Russian-Tczech-Slovak-Finn who can't wait to go back to their respective countries and finally be in vacation.

tell me flat out that you would want your local team to be filled by Russian-Tczech-Slovak-Finn who can't wait to go back to their respective countries and finally be in vacation.

Ask Red Wings fans that question. This anti-Euro stuff is just pure garbage. There have been tons of floater North Americans over the years, just as there have been great Euro players. There are North Americans who play just for the money too. There are 30 teams in the NHL town, it would be impossible and irresponsible for the Canadiens not to go outside the province or country to find talent. The Canadiens try to bring in the best talent possible. It's the job of the organization to win games, not to pump up local pride. Yes, that's how it worked in the old days, but doing business that way just isn't going to get it done in this era. Would I love for the Habs to have a French Candian star and for the Jackets to develop a star from Ohio? Of course I would. I will root for those teams no matter who is playing for them and I don't give a damn where the players are from. You know I'm a patriotic guy, so you can't just say that I have no pride.

Maybe weeding out players who are in it for the money, North American and European alike, can be a way the KHL can benefit the NHL. If they can prove to be a viable league with big money, they'll be able to attract people who aren't in it to win it.

A.Kost - Lang - Kovalev

Bouwmeester - Markov

Emelin - D.Morris

McLaren - Hamrlik

( extras Gorges, OByrne)

M.Biron

J. Halak

How can they afford Gaborik, Lecavalier and Bowmeester, nevermind the others.....lol

Edited by kaos

where are you from? what's your local team?

I'm from a suburb of Montreal, born and raised here. It's indicated in my profile, hello??? You are from Quebec City, a completely different world than Montreal. This is The Montreal Canadiens, not the Montreal Poutines. The team has never been solely and completely quebecois, and thankfully, it never will.

Ask Red Wings fans that question. This anti-Euro stuff is just pure garbage. There have been tons of floater North Americans over the years, just as there have been great Euro players. There are North Americans who play just for the money too. There are 30 teams in the NHL town, it would be impossible and irresponsible for the Canadiens not to go outside the province or country to find talent. The Canadiens try to bring in the best talent possible. It's the job of the organization to win games, not to pump up local pride. Yes, that's how it worked in the old days, but doing business that way just isn't going to get it done in this era. Would I love for the Habs to have a French Candian star and for the Jackets to develop a star from Ohio? Of course I would. I will root for those teams no matter who is playing for them and I don't give a damn where the players are from. You know I'm a patriotic guy, so you can't just say that I have no pride.

Maybe weeding out players who are in it for the money, North American and European alike, can be a way the KHL can benefit the NHL. If they can prove to be a viable league with big money, they'll be able to attract people who aren't in it to win it.

+1

Just ice a friggin winner. I don't care if we find pygmies that can skate - just start winning again damnit

Edited by hab29RETIRED

I'm from a suburb of Montreal, born and raised here. It's indicated in my profile, hello??? You are from Quebec City, a completely different world than Montreal. This is The Montreal Canadiens, not the Montreal Poutines. The team has never been solely and completely quebecois, and thankfully, it never will.

Word. I'm from Montreal too, and this whole bias against ethnic players annoys me to no end. From what I understand, Quebec City is very francophone. Montreal, thankfully, is the most diverse and colorful cities in Canada. I wouldn't want it any other way.

This is my post on the issue from another thread:

Yeah okay Don Cherry. It's not like our best player is Russian or anything. I also find it amusing how in the North American vs. European players debate, it's conveniently never mentioned how Komisarek, who is supposed to be a perfect example of North American drive and grit, underperformed just as much, if not more, than some of our European players.

Newsflash: underpeforming, for whatever reasons, happens to ALL hockey players every once and a while. It's got nothing to do with where you were born. How about the Kost-Pleks-Kovy line of last year? They were one of the most dangerous lines of the NHL for most of the year. And yes, last year they were all born in Europe just as much as they were this year.

Edited by ForumGhost

Heres what I do. Sign F. Beachemin and Leopold to contacts for $3 Million each. Sign a Veteran Goalie if ya can for say $2 Million . Price needs this. Say Dwaye Roloson whos been awesome in Edmonton

Make a trade with Pittsbrgh who needs wingers to play with Malkin and Crosby. Staal maybe available.

So we send Higgins, PK Sbban, Halak and maybe a pick for Staal. Or thereaboyts anyways. I picked Halak as they traded for Garon at the deadline. Might send S Kostitsyn or D'Agostini instead. Ya get the idea

Lang, Kovalev, Saks, Boillon, Dandealt, Chips all can walk. Might keep Saks if he takes $3.0 Million. If so take away Metropolit. That makes for great depth at Centre. For now we take Metropolit

Tangay $4.5 Staal $4.0 S Kostitsyn $0.7

A Kostitsyn $3.2 Plekanec $3.2 DAgostini $0.7

Pacioretty $0.9 Lapierre $0.8 Kostoplos $1.0

Latendresse $1.00 Metropolit $1.0 Laraqe $1.2

G Stewart $0.5

Markov $5.75 Komiarek $3.75

Hamrlik $5.25 O'Bryne $0.75

Leopold $3.00 Beachemin $3.0

Weber $0.70

Price $2.3

D Roloson $2.0

This solves the problem of mobile defensman in Leopold. Defensive Defensman in Beachemin. O' Bryne and Weber can battle for the 6th and 7th spots

Veteran Goalie for Price to help him.

Bigger at Centre with Staal.

Adds massive playoff experience with Beachemin, Leopold and Staal

Leaves somewhere between $5 and $7 Million cap room, which I estimate at $55 Million dollars. Which means a Forward Free agent might also be grabbed for some depth or scoring. Can be altered if Saks stays with a smaller salary

Edited by kaos