What do we do for next year?

hab29RETIRED

If you guys were watching the playoffs you would have seen that Koivu was one of the best players on the team. He was chasing the puck and battling with Chara in all 4 games.

50 points in 65 games for a 4th line centre? Yeah, sure, okay there. Even Jordan Staal, who people want as a replacement for Koivu, couldn't hit the 50 point park in 82 games this season. No matter how much you wish it weren't so for whatever personal reasons, Koivu is still a bonafied top 6 forward. So just deal with it already.

Edited by ForumGhost

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you guys were watching the playoffs you would have seen that Koivu was one of the best players on the team. He was chasing the puck and battling with Chara in all 4 games.

50 points in 65 games for a 4th line centre? Yeah, sure, okay there.

Give that ice time to Metropolit and play him with 1st line wingers, he'll get 50 pts too.

I agree with you that Koivu displayed the most heart during the playoffs.

however, he's washed out.

I do NOT want him as a 1st or 2nd line center.

I could name you 50 better centers in the NHL right now.

In fact, boston's 1st, 2nd and 3rd line centers are better than him.

50 points in 65 games for a 4th line centre? Yeah, sure, okay there. Even Jordan Staal, who people want as a replacement for Koivu, couldn't hit the 50 point park in 82 games this season. No matter how much you wish it weren't so for whatever personal reasons, Koivu is still a bonafied top 6 forward. So just deal with it already.

at 21-22 I'm not worried about building around Jordan.

at his age, with his living experience, Koivu is about in the same shape as a Mark Messier in the last few years. yet, the Rangers continued to play him... and if we decided to do that, I accept it... as a 3rd or 4th line player.

I want 2 centers better than koivu on the team. and it's easy, the list is long.

Give that ice time to Metropolit and play him with 1st line wingers, he'll get 50 pts too.

In 65 games? I would like to see that... It's not like he was playing with Backstrom and Semin either. Koivu's wingers were changing all season, and none of them really impressed until Kovy decided to play.

Boston is an example of a team that loaded on centre (although it's highly debatable if Bergeron is better than Koivu). But I'm sure the vast majority of teams in the NHL would love to have Koivu as at least their second line centre.

Edited by ForumGhost

In 65 games? I would like to see that... It's not like he was playing with Backstrom and Semin either. Koivu's wingers were changing all season, and none of them really impressed until Kovy decided to play.

Boston is an example of a team that loaded on centre (although it's highly debatable if Bergeron is better than Koivu). But I'm sure the vast majority of teams in the NHL would love to have Koivu as at least their second line centre.

if you wanna be mediocre, that's your choice. on a 82 game basis, your 1st line center would have got 63 pts. good for 22nd.

you then have to consider guys like Olli Jokinen who was playing in frikkin Phoenix

Travis Zajac who despite only score 62 is a Selke candidate for sure with his + 33

Arnott who got 57 pts in 65 games

Staal stuck on the 3rd line

Connolly 47pts in 48 games

Richards 48 in 56 games

and so on.

and if you want me to further make my point :

Rick Peverley (who) got 44 pts in 66 games. 6 pts shy of Koivu.

Steve Ott got 46 pts in 64 games. 4 pts shy of Koivu.

Yup, that is your desired 1st line center. and by the way, that's IF he can play 82 games... what he's had troubles doing in the past.

here are the top 30 centers as per TSN, sorry for the messyness.

C Evgeni Malkin PIT 82 35 78 113 17 14 2 4 80 290 12.07 22:31

C Sidney Crosby PIT 77 33 70 103 3 7 0 3 76 238 13.87 21:56

C Pavel Datsyuk DET 81 32 65 97 34 11 1 3 22 248 12.9 19:12

C Ryan Getzlaf ANA 81 25 66 91 5 9 0 2 121 227 11.01 20:07

C Marc Savard BOS 82 25 63 88 25 9 0 5 70 213 11.74 19:32

C Nicklas Backstrom WSH 82 22 66 88 16 14 0 1 46 174 12.64 19:56

C Joe Thornton SJ 82 25 61 86 16 11 0 3 56 139 17.99 19:27

C Jeff Carter PHI 82 46 38 84 23 13 4 12 68 342 13.45 20:57

C Henrik Sedin VAN 82 22 60 82 22 4 0 8 48 143 15.38 19:31

C Mike Richards PHI 79 30 50 80 22 8 7 4 63 238 12.61 21:44

C Mike Ribeiro DAL 82 22 56 78 -4 7 0 1 52 163 13.5 20:57

C Eric Staal CAR 82 40 35 75 15 14 1 8 50 372 10.75 21:02

C Todd White ATL 82 22 51 73 -9 12 1 0 24 150 14.67 18:03

C David Krejci BOS 82 22 51 73 37 5 2 6 26 146 15.07 16:51

C Jason Spezza OTT 82 32 41 73 -14 13 1 3 79 246 13.01 19:41

C Patrick Marleau SJ 76 38 33 71 16 11 5 10 18 251 15.14 21:21

C Derek Roy BUF 82 28 42 70 -5 9 1 9 38 221 12.67 21:11

C Jonathan Toews CHI 82 34 35 69 12 12 0 7 51 195 17.44 18:37

C Mikko Koivu MIN 79 20 47 67 2 5 4 3 66 236 8.47 21:29

C Vincent Lecavalier TB 77 29 38 67 -9 10 1 6 54 291 9.97 20:15

C Anze Kopitar LA 82 27 39 66 -17 7 1 3 32 234 11.54 20:27

C Travis Zajac NJ 82 20 42 62 33 5 1 2 29 185 10.81 18:38

C Stephen Weiss FLA 78 14 47 61 19 4 1 4 22 154 9.09 17:48

C Phil Kessel BOS 70 36 24 60 23 8 0 6 16 232 15.52 16:33

C Johan Franzen DET 71 34 25 59 21 11 1 8 44 246 13.82 18:06

C Nik Antropov NYR 81 28 31 59 -14 8 0 4 30 224 12.5 17:11

C Joe Pavelski SJ 80 25 34 59 5 8 3 3 46 266 9.4 18:57

C Ryan Kesler VAN 82 26 33 59 8 10 2 2 61 179 14.53 19:27

C Scott Gomez NYR 77 16 42 58 -2 3 1 7 60 271 5.9 21:03

C Olli Jokinen CGY 76 29 28 57 -12 9 2 3 67 236 12.29 18:53

Something I'd like to see after witnessing this past season and the 4 games vs. Boston in the playoffs:

Laraque needs to be traded if possible (very doubtful with his salary), or buried in the minors to get his salary deducted from our cap hit. USELESS...can't play hockey well enough to justify a regular shift, and he apparently doesn't like to fight enough to keep around as a one-dimensional enforcer anymore.

That he didn't jump Lucic at all this season is unforgiveable.

Edited by sbhatt

Something I'd like to see after witnessing this past season and the 4 games vs. Boston in the playoffs:

Laraque needs to be traded if possible (very doubtful with his salary), or buried in the minors to get his salary deducted from our cap hit. USELESS...can't play hockey well enough to justify a regular shift, and he apparently doesn't like to fight enough to keep around as a one-dimensional enforcer anymore.

fo' su'

I'd really want a new era shit disturber / brawler à la Voros or Carcillo though.

I'm not a blind supporter of Laraque but he did challenge Lucic in every game this year, Lucic wouldn't go. If you wanted Laraue to jump him and get suspended, that's another topic. I think he was one of the only players noticable in all 3 zones in all the games.

It's called team toughness, you can't have Laraque and 17 pus### on the ice. teams know that once laraque is off the ice, they can do what ever they want. It happened in almost all the games.

Sure Laraque could have been better, in better shape and not injured, he does his role fine. '

How about picking on some high priced garbage who didn't show allyear. Role players did ok.

I'm not a blind supporter of Laraque but he did challenge Lucic in every game this year, Lucic wouldn't go. If you wanted Laraue to jump him and get suspended, that's another topic. I think he was one of the only players noticable in all 3 zones in all the games.

It's called team toughness, you can't have Laraque and 17 pus### on the ice. teams know that once laraque is off the ice, they can do what ever they want. It happened in almost all the games.

Sure Laraque could have been better, in better shape and not injured, he does his role fine. '

How about picking on some high priced garbage who didn't show allyear. Role players did ok.

I singled out Laraque because I thought everyone else did a good job of critiquing the high priced players in this thread already.

And politely asking a guy if he wants to go is not good enough, sorry...Laraque was a joke.

To be cast away, I don't even want to see them back in TC :

Laraque

Brisebois (sorry old pal)

O'Byrne (I really have a bad feeling about this guy)

I agree. My feelings on Laraque are clear from my past post I'm sure...and O'Byrne's brain just doesn't function quickly enough to play in the NHL. Terrible decision-making, and not at all 'solid' for a guy his size. Brisebois has met his match with father time...but deserves a handshake and a pat on the back on his way out of the Bell centre for doing an admirable job within his role on the team the past couple of seasons.

I'll give Laraque a pass. He was playing a phyiscal game when the rest of us would have been at home collecting compensation, or on LTD.

With The Sharks tanking, Marleau or Thronton might become available with another dissapointing playoffs this year.

Not that I would want Thornton, but I with the way things work, I wouldn't be suprised if Montreal picked him up and Montreal and Boston met in the first round again next year.

Of course Thornton would be a no show again.

In my books, Koivu shouldn't be relegated to the 3rd or 4th line until someone steps up and takes the position from him. Pleks did it last year and as a result he played on what was considered the 2nd line. This season, no one stepped up (Lang played well but Koivu was injured for a lot of his run anyways), so Koivu played on the first line. Unless we can get 2 centers that can preform at a higher level, Koivu will keep playing the big minutes and rightfully so. Even if we get a top line centre like Sundin or whoever is out there, the still puts him in the second line unless Pleks can grab it from him, something he couldn't do this year. Lapierre plays well but he's not a top 6 centre, and there's no one else in the system right now. I wouldn't bank on Pleks bursting out of his funk next season, so unless we can sign two elite centers, there's no reason not to keep Koivu.

It will be interesting to see how the team moves forward. Now that the year is over, it is time to look forward to the draft and free agency. I believe Bob will continue to be the GM and hope he can address size on the wings and down the middle. Also I hope Krex gets resigned along with Higgins and Tanguay. Price will be better next year and have time to heal.

In the draft there are a few good players this so Habs should be drafting need over speed.

I have a lot of respect for the current habs players and thank them for the effort in making the playoffs. It might have been brief but I did enjoy cheering on my team.

Go Habs 2009-2010 Go

You should go to rds.ca and watch the Gainey press conference!

I have to say Bob sure has a way of reassuring me for next season. I just it isn't all "talk" and he will act accordingly!

Edited by Habsfan

I'll admit that I am pissed off that Laraque didn't kill Lucic, but I'm willing to forgive him. If laraque comes back in top shape next year, he'll definitely be ebtter than he was this year.

Bob has his work cut out for him. His biggest challenge should be to lock down a true first line centre. Through trade or free agency.

Plekanec is the centre who should go in my opinion. Koivu should be the 2nd centre. And only if it is cheap. The only thing that would worry me is I think it's time for a new on ice leader, and even though Saks would be a great 2nd centre, we may have to let him go because of the need for a leadership change. Pleks is soft. He's fast, but he did not impress me this year.

If we can get a good player for Plek, AK46, Higgins, and whoever else you can name. Go ahead. If Halak will get the deal done, do it. Bring in a vet to play with Price.

Lats and Laps should play with Paccioretty next year.

Sign Komi for 4.5 mill or less. If more, he can go to NYI. Sign Tanguay. Sign Lang, if it's cheap 3 mill or less. Kovy 3 to 4 mill.

Do not bring PK and McDo up yet. Get them in Hamilton. Get Emilin out of Russia fast. Start grooming Weber.

Trade for Vinny!!!!! :clap::clap:

if Habs go after Lecavalier, IMO it will be a further step back.. why?

1. Habs have all the FA's to sign, and at what cost does Lecavalier come, trade young prospects or young cheaper contracts that are signed?

2. Who would Lecavalier, end up playing with?

3. With the cap coming down, Lecavalier will be a big chunk of the cap in coming years, and inability to move him if he is a flop?

4. MTL wont have as much room to attract more players or sign existing players, or upcoming signings in next 3 years? and their prospect base or their < 3 year players, would be traded to Tampa

5. Look at Lecavalier stats, does he warrant such a contract, or even worse warrant giving up soo many players:

6. FOR A PLAYER THAT IS LESS THAN A POINT PER GAME PLAYER: 787 GAMES played 669 POINTS!!, and dont forget he had St LOUIS and Richards playing with him!!

7. MUCH rather see HABS go after a cheaper younger player like NATHAN HORTON, 357 games, 238 points as a big young centre option!!

8. There are cheaper options from a trade and contract perspective that Lecavalier, that wouldnt handcuff the HABS for years to come!!

Hoping the speculation arising that TSN alluded to with the OWNERr, GAINEY, CARBONNEAU in regards to not signing players to cap space open for Lecavalier TRADE , ALL IS NOT TRUE, because if it is it will damage this club for a very long time!!

Edited by HabsWEST

Today Bob called the Tampa ownership and GM disgaceful, for the way they handled the january trade talks.

Yeah, and he singled it out as one cause of the second half collapse. Good for Bob...although it won't exactly grease the wheels for a future deal, I suppose. (Which doesn't bother me, since I'm leery of that absurd contract).

Best news from that conference is that Gainey clearly intends to stay on, if he isn't fired. Phew.

EDIT: judging from the audio clip from the Gazette, sounds like Komi is getting ready to leave. :angry: The classic 'no comment, it's not in my hands' kinda stuff you always get from guys planning to test the market. Interesting contrast with Koivu, who seems willing to be very accommodating.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Sign Komi for 4.5 mill or less. If more, he can go to NYI.

Any of you hear the Komisarek interview? Mike was talking in the past tense(saying that he loved his time in Montreal).

I've got a sinking feeling that we may have seen the last of Komisarek in Montreal...

Any of you hear the Komisarek interview? Mike was talking in the past tense(saying that he loved his time in Montreal).

I've got a sinking feeling that we may have seen the last of Komisarek in Montreal...

Sure sounded that way.

Well, after listening to Bob, I can say now that I understand why the collective games of Georges, Higgins and Plekanec were horrid in the second half (and kudos to Higgsy for picking it up). That dum frock in Tampa negotiated in bad faith and threw them off. I know these guys are supposed to be "professional" but let's see how well any of us does when our jobs and lives in our cities are suddenly put into question.

Anyone wanna run over Lawton with a bus? I'll be right there cheering it on.