What do we do for next year?

hab29RETIRED

In my books, Koivu shouldn't be relegated to the 3rd or 4th line until someone steps up and takes the position from him. Pleks did it last year and as a result he played on what was considered the 2nd line. This season, no one stepped up (Lang played well but Koivu was injured for a lot of his run anyways), so Koivu played on the first line. Unless we can get 2 centers that can preform at a higher level, Koivu will keep playing the big minutes and rightfully so. Even if we get a top line centre like Sundin or whoever is out there, the still puts him in the second line unless Pleks can grab it from him, something he couldn't do this year. Lapierre plays well but he's not a top 6 centre, and there's no one else in the system right now. I wouldn't bank on Pleks bursting out of his funk next season, so unless we can sign two elite centers, there's no reason not to keep Koivu.

If we don't bring in a guy better then Koivu, so he keeps his job, then we are screwed. Koivu is not a number 1 centre, and we won't get better until we have someone better then him. Frankly, I hope he goes anyway as I question his leadership (one too many coaches have been quit on with him as Captain). I loved the guy, he did his best for years where he was good enough, but alone. Unfortunately, its probably time for him to move on. If he goes to a top team and wins a cup (ala Bourque), then good for him. I will toast him.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any of you hear the Komisarek interview? Mike was talking in the past tense(saying that he loved his time in Montreal).

I've got a sinking feeling that we may have seen the last of Komisarek in Montreal...

that is what happens when you leave it to free agent season to sign someone. Maybe sportcasters are suggesting today that Komi's agent approached Gainey for a contract before Christmas and got rebuffed. (when he was off injured, which seems like a good time get that negotiation done). Apparently, Komi is the kind that "frets" about these things, questions whether he is wanted, etc, and has his play negatively effected.

It is going to be hard for Gainey to keep the guys he wants. All most every one of them is going to be told by their agents.. .might as well see what we can get on the open market....

I listened to the press conferences and I am a bit concerned, but in some area's feel better.

First, I found Gainey arrogant in his answer to the guy who mentioned his wife. Maybe his wife was a goalie who played hockey for 30 years? In any case, the question was valid. I heard just about every "hockey guy" on TSN, NHL network, and the CBC say.. I don't get why he won't put in Halak for game 3..

Second, I think blaming the media or TB is bush league. Yes, it was dumb of Tampa to let the names out, but that is not why we tanked. That is easy fixed with a frank discussion with them about 'I would trade you for Vinny or Crosby.. that is how much I think of you".

I am glad he admits (in his way), that he had too many free agents. Unfortunately, he didn't suggest he would change his ways. He seems to be under some illusion that having negotiating rights now until July 1st puts him in a good position. (remember Sundin). It doesn't mean squat. In fact, the only way a guy signs now is if you offer as much or more then he thinks he will get in July. Most players think they will get more then they will, so you are probably over paying. Unless a guy really wants to stay in Montreal, he is going to wait.

We all know that the way to get a guy who you like to sign is to get those talks done way earlier. Make him happy and feeling wanted. Sign an extension in the fall. Anything else and you are rolling the dice. If you don't know by now if you want to keep him, then what the hell are you doing!

I still think Gainey has screwed the pooch on Price. Yes, he is a good goalie, but the goal of this team was not to spend the last two years trying to force the issue. Even Price said that expectations are too high. I agree, he is not that good yet. Maybe Gainey should stop acting like he is on a pedestal and just let him develop in good time.

if Habs go after Lecavalier, IMO it will be a further step back.. why?

1. Habs have all the FA's to sign, and at what cost does Lecavalier come, trade young prospects or young cheaper contracts that are signed?

2. Who would Lecavalier, end up playing with?

3. With the cap coming down, Lecavalier will be a big chunk of the cap in coming years, and inability to move him if he is a flop?

4. MTL wont have as much room to attract more players or sign existing players, or upcoming signings in next 3 years? and their prospect base or their < 3 year players, would be traded to Tampa

5. Look at Lecavalier stats, does he warrant such a contract, or even worse warrant giving up soo many players:

6. FOR A PLAYER THAT IS LESS THAN A POINT PER GAME PLAYER: 787 GAMES played 669 POINTS!!, and dont forget he had St LOUIS and Richards playing with him!!

7. MUCH rather see HABS go after a cheaper younger player like NATHAN HORTON, 357 games, 238 points as a big young centre option!!

8. There are cheaper options from a trade and contract perspective that Lecavalier, that wouldnt handcuff the HABS for years to come!!

Hoping the speculation arising that TSN alluded to with the OWNERr, GAINEY, CARBONNEAU in regards to not signing players to cap space open for Lecavalier TRADE , ALL IS NOT TRUE, because if it is it will damage this club for a very long time!!

:lol:

lol?

:wacko:

According to Lous Jean of Sportsnet, Saku Koivu said that if he wasn't signed by July 1st, we would walk away!!!

I don't know if it's true(seeing as we are talking about Sportsnet) but it is interesting!

Well after listenting to Gainey's comments about the talks with Tampa about Lecavalier, all those wishing for Vinny to come home, can pretty much kiss those wishes goodbye. Even if Vinny is traded, I really doubt it would be to Montreal.

Komisarik sounds like he is gone.

Tangauy sounded pissed but sounded like he is willing to come back, as did Koivu and Kovolev.

So, just for arguements, sake, if we can't sign ANY of our UFA's, before any trades or player signings, our lineup (inlcuding the RFA's whose rights we still own), would be the following:

Kostitysn ($3.25) Plekanac ($2M) DAgostini ($0.8M)

Latendresse ($1.2M) Lapierre (.8M) Higgins ($2.2M)

Pacioretty (.875M) S. Kostitsyn (.585M)

Laraque (1.5M) Metropolit (1M) Stewart (.6M)

FORWARDS - Approx $14M signed

Markov (5.75M)

Hamrlik (5.5M)

Georges ($1M)

O'Byrne (.725M)

Weber (.615M)

DEFENCEMEN - approx $14M signed

Halak (.8M)

Price (.85M)

GOALIE - approx $2M signed (unsure if Price has bonuses like this year that should be factored)

So total we have approximatley $30M committed to guys that could be in the NHL. Note I only factored in minimal raises for the RFA's, the ideal situation would be to offer them more and lock them in to longer term deals, to lock them in cheaper, and having contracted players also raises future trade values.

Of these I'm hoping Montreal can move O'Byrne, Laraque and Hamrlik (I think he has a limited NTC - could be wrong)

Other Assets that could be in the NHL next year or have trade value:

-Emelin

-Subban - I think the habs need to sign him quick or he goes back to the draft - no??

-Maxwell

-Mcdonagh - don't know how long we retain his rights for??

-Chipchura

-White

Note that I've only osisted those that MAY have trade value or could have some sort of shot making the team - not necessarily guys that should make the team (I'd want Subban, Mcdonagh in Hamilton).

Anyone else feeling a wee bit worried???? We have a lot of money to spend, but is Montreal going to be the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, or even the 10th choice for a lot of free agents??? Personally I think we are screwed!!!!

Is there really enough signed players/prospects available to trade for a impact player and still have enough depth to be competitive???

I think we are going to have a hard time signing people - more then the team usually does!!

No coach, ownership issues, media issues during the year were even worse then even usual. i think we are screwed!!!!

Those that were happy we can cut ties with a lot of the UFA's - be careful for what you hoped for, coz the picture next year may end up being even worse.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

Anyone else feeling a wee bit worried???? We have a lot of money to spend, but is Montreal going to be the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, or even the 10th choice for a lot of free agents??? Personally I think we are screwed!!!!

Here's what will happen with the UFAs:

1. Montreal will be linked to contract rumours for all of the top free agents. None will sign here, all saying they want to sign with a contender. They will sign in Florida or Atlanta.

2. Bob will sign a 2nd tier free agent. We will all build him up to be a 1st tier free agent and say we expect him to put up career number because of our speed game.

3. Gainey will say he is done signing free agents.

4. 24 hours later, Gainey will announce signing a career 4th liner. We will build him up to be a 2nd line player, and expect a career year out of him because of our speed game.

5. Both acquisitions will statistically regress, and we will all complain that our speed game sucks and we need more toughness in the lineup.

6. Back to step 1 for next season.

Kovalev blasted the K brothers

Well done,, sir :clap:

I didn't get that - blasting is probably an exaggeration. Or am I missing something???

I didn't get that - blasting is probably an exaggeration. Or am I missing something???

He didnt really blasted them... not directly. He said that today in the NHL things are too easy for kids and there's too many distractions for them to focus on hockey, that when he was their age it was harder to be a regular, that you had to fight for your spot. He said the Bros will need to put themselves in a position so they can be the best players on the team, not just be part of the team.

According to Lous Jean of Sportsnet, Saku Koivu said that if he wasn't signed by July 1st, we would walk away!!!

I don't know if it's true(seeing as we are talking about Sportsnet) but it is interesting!

well that what's always happen, unless a deal is really close, but the deadline always is July 1st.

Tanguay, Lang, etc didn't say it, but that's that way with them too.

That's not true for players like Bouillon, Dandy and Kostopoulos though... they don't reallly have a deadline since they are no one's priority.

I listened to the press conferences and I am a bit concerned, but in some area's feel better.

First, I found Gainey arrogant in his answer to the guy who mentioned his wife. Maybe his wife was a goalie who played hockey for 30 years? In any case, the question was valid. I heard just about every "hockey guy" on TSN, NHL network, and the CBC say.. I don't get why he won't put in Halak for game 3..

Second, I think blaming the media or TB is bush league. Yes, it was dumb of Tampa to let the names out, but that is not why we tanked. That is easy fixed with a frank discussion with them about 'I would trade you for Vinny or Crosby.. that is how much I think of you".

I am glad he admits (in his way), that he had too many free agents. Unfortunately, he didn't suggest he would change his ways. He seems to be under some illusion that having negotiating rights now until July 1st puts him in a good position. (remember Sundin). It doesn't mean squat. In fact, the only way a guy signs now is if you offer as much or more then he thinks he will get in July. Most players think they will get more then they will, so you are probably over paying. Unless a guy really wants to stay in Montreal, he is going to wait.

We all know that the way to get a guy who you like to sign is to get those talks done way earlier. Make him happy and feeling wanted. Sign an extension in the fall. Anything else and you are rolling the dice. If you don't know by now if you want to keep him, then what the hell are you doing!

I still think Gainey has screwed the pooch on Price. Yes, he is a good goalie, but the goal of this team was not to spend the last two years trying to force the issue. Even Price said that expectations are too high. I agree, he is not that good yet. Maybe Gainey should stop acting like he is on a pedestal and just let him develop in good time.

Sorry but I cannot agree with one thing you said. I also listened to the conference and I find Gainey's responses to be articulate and justified. The media (story writers and not really journalists) who follow the team are often overboard with their questions. I continue to believe in the long run Gainey's approach will bear fruit if he does not let the local reporters get to him and he decides to leave.

Why would Kovalev blast anyone. He was piss poor all year and was sent home. Maybe he should look in mirror before calling others out.

Even though what he said was probably true.

Some other poster made a great point about GC spilling the beans when the season was over, based on the season it will be interesting what he has to say.

If i'm a betting man i'll say it was too much partying by the youngsters, too many cliques, The french guys, Kovalev's guys and Koivu's guys and the players didn't like all hard work expected of them. GC made them do it last year but the players took the easy road again.

He didnt really blasted them... not directly. He said that today in the NHL things are too easy for kids and there's too many distractions for them to focus on hockey, that when he was their age it was harder to be a regular, that you had to fight for your spot. He said the Bros will need to put themselves in a position so they can be the best players on the team, not just be part of the team.

Wow, I missed that - but good for Kovalev. Between his comments and Laraque's, I don't think there can be ANY doubt left that some key young guys on this team did indeed allow the partying and distractions (and probably complacency) to detract from their preparation and their play. I think it's fair that these players be called out - they are, after all, betraying their teammates, even if unintentionally - but I have to wonder: were Kovy, Laraque and other vets telling them this the whole time? Or did they just sit by and watch the train wreck? (We'll never know, of course - but it gets back to that question of mentorship. Then again, some lessons have to be learned through experience. The real test will be if the Kostitsyns come back fully motivated, focused and prepared next season).

Sorry but I cannot agree with one thing you said. I also listened to the conference and I find Gainey's responses to be articulate and justified. The media (story writers and not really journalists) who follow the team are often overboard with their questions. I continue to believe in the long run Gainey's approach will bear fruit if he does not let the local reporters get to him and he decides to leave.

thanks, someone told him... I was just too lazy. I found his post to be way off too. :clap:

Gainey has clearly established that he is the Alpha male in dealing with the media, and part of that is being willing to insert the knife when the opportunity affords itself. I wasn't too keen on the blatantly sexist 'baking bread' remark, but his original crack about the guy's wife not recognizing a thoroughbread was one of the best insults I've heard a public figure direct any ANYONE in some time. An absolute classic worthy of Pierre Trudeau himself. These media clowns need continual reminding that they're not the ones running the show in Montreal. Gainey did that beautifully yesterday, while also standing up for his players *and* brilliantly undercutting the likelihood of a Lecavalier deal. :clap: A virtuoso performance.

I thikn it's safe to say that there was too much partying going around this team this season.

the organization has to do a better job of making sure their young stars are well prepared and are not distracted by all the "distractions" Montreal has to offer. I can't really blame the kids cause I did the same thing in my 20's and I wasnt making 850,000$ per year...(i can just imagine what kind of parties I could've had if I were that rich at such a young age?!!) These kids need to be protected and groomed for life as a superstar in Sin City!

Here's what will happen with the UFAs:

1. Montreal will be linked to contract rumours for all of the top free agents. None will sign here, all saying they want to sign with a contender. They will sign in Florida or Atlanta.

2. Bob will sign a 2nd tier free agent. We will all build him up to be a 1st tier free agent and say we expect him to put up career number because of our speed game.

3. Gainey will say he is done signing free agents.

4. 24 hours later, Gainey will announce signing a career 4th liner. We will build him up to be a 2nd line player, and expect a career year out of him because of our speed game.

5. Both acquisitions will statistically regress, and we will all complain that our speed game sucks and we need more toughness in the lineup.

6. Back to step 1 for next season.

NObody will sign in Altanta. If Bouwmeester leaves Florida, nobody will sign there either

Lecavalier is definitley out of the qestion now. With Lawton and Gainey is a war of words over who said what to who about who. Further dealings are off between these two.

I would imagine there are some free agents who might like to come here, but I doubt Bouwmeester is one of them. Might be more likely to attack a Europena like Gaborik, who will like the multicultural atmosphere of Montreal.

NObody will sign in Altanta. If Bouwmeester leaves Florida, nobody will sign there either

Lecavalier is definitley out of the qestion now. With Lawton and Gainey is a war of words over who said what to who about who. Further dealings are off between these two.

I would imagine there are some free agents who might like to come here, but I doubt Bouwmeester is one of them. Might be more likely to attack a Europena like Gaborik, who will like the multicultural atmosphere of Montreal.

Bouwmeester would be just the ticket, as would Cammalleri or some other legitimate top-2 centreman. I continue to believe that the 'UFAs hate Montreal' theory is overblown. These guys are mercenaries, and if you pay top dollar and can plausibly show that you've got a shot at being competitive (which, despite everything, the Habs can), they'll come.

Bouwmeester would be just the ticket, as would Cammalleri or some other legitimate top-2 centreman. I continue to believe that the 'UFAs hate Montreal' theory is overblown. These guys are mercenaries, and if you pay top dollar and can plausibly show that you've got a shot at being competitive (which, despite everything, the Habs can), they'll come.

I don't think Bouwmeester is comin here for two reasons.

1) Some dumb GM is going to give him a really dumb Brian Campbell type contract for $7 or $8 million a year for 6 + years

or

2) he really wants to play back out west

Good. That's what I heard ant one that is a perfectly fair comment and is a good observation - I don't even think that is even a harsh obsevation. I guess it depends how open you are to constructive critisism.

UFA ain't a big market but RFA and offersheet can be made..oh wait we have a GM that is obeying to

his rules of conduct, that he is the only one to follow just like his goon 1st liner.

I have been easy on Bob before but since he doesn't know when to leave i really hope someone buys

this team and put their own plan and managers into place.

I am convinced that little man Gillet and his friend the captain, the millionnaire, his wife, the little star and their

friend kicked Carbo out of the island. What did Gainey do to save his better acquisition as a GM ?? Nothing.

No it was not balls that Gainey showed playing Price in the third period on the last game knowing that some fans

p*ssed after a disturbed season would go after him. Yeah really brave to throw the kids to the lions and say that it

will be good for his development to put Carey nose in the dirt and after that blame the fans , the medias and say that

they are idiots like L.A fan were for Sydor.

It was not smart to trade Plekanek when he had some value.

It was not smart sending an offer sheet to Brière by a water boy.

It was not smart not drafting Brassard when they had the chance to see Latendresse for a full year before.

It was not smart sending Ribeiro for absolutely nothing.

It was not smart to use the buy outs for meaningless players.

It was not smart not signing Streit when he was developping, waiting till the summer until we lose him for nothing. Same for

Komisarek, Souray. At least if they were signed we could have something for them.

For all these's reasons and many others i just hate Bob, not just as a coach, gm but now as a man too. I had hope he would

leave by himself after this season. No it's everybody fault but he's own.

It was not smart to trade Plekanek when he had some value.

It was not smart sending an offer sheet to Brière by a water boy.

It was not smart not drafting Brassard when they had the chance to see Latendresse for a full year before.

It was not smart sending Ribeiro for absolutely nothing.

It was not smart to use the buy outs for meaningless players.

It was not smart not signing Streit when he was developping, waiting till the summer until we lose him for nothing. Same for

Komisarek, Souray. At least if they were signed we could have something for them.

Only the Ribeiro one and the UFA one are valid points. How could we have drafted Brassard? He went 6th overall! We picked way later. You may as well blame him for not drafting Crosby.

Were you really saying that he should trade Plekanec after last season? I bet not. Trading players "when their value is at its highest" is one of the dumbest philosophies in pro sports. You'll be right once in a while, but in the end of the day, you're just trading away your best players regularly.

Why was it dumb to use the buyouts on Cullimore and Salmelainen? Who needs to be bought out now? Hamrlik?