April 22th, 2009 | Canadiens vs. Bruins | Game 4 Thread

Cataclaw

your negativity isn't gonna make the team better,

I don't disagree with you, but for the sake of all those out there who can manage to think with their intellect and not their emotion, I will now pose a counter question:

Will your positivity make the team better?

Just sayin' is all. ;)

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't disagree with you, but for the sake of all those out there who can manage to think with their intellect and not their emotion, I will now pose a counter question:

Just sayin' is all. ;)

no i think his point is wondering why people feel the need to come online and bring everybody down. We're all here to share our passion, and all the negativity lately makes me less likely to want to come on here and post. I will cheer for my team until the bitter end, win or lose that wont change. I suspect that isn't the case with some posters on this board. They almost seem to be hoping for a loss so they can be right.

Just sayin' is all. ;)

Haha...well if I was going to the game...my cheering could boost the team, where as my negativity could bring the team down..so yes to your answer :)

But alas...I live in NS, so no Habs playoff games for me.

Man, i wonder what would happen if Halak played and lost. I wonder if everyone would be calling for his head?

Posters need to relax a bit on blaming 1 guy, this is a complete TEAM meltdown. NO GOALIE would bring this team a win against the Bruins. MAson has given up more goals then Price, does he suck all of a sudden.

It's time to face facts, The team just isn't very good from top to bottom.

The biggest disapointment for me is the lack of leadership, character and the players not willing to do the small things to win. Work ethic sucks.

How is this negative?

If it wasn't true they would not be down 3-0. They would not have finished in 8th and they would not have needed a coaching change.

Everybody wants it to be a simple problem. Replace the coach, didn't work. Last year in the playoffs, Price is costing the Habs the series,

Halak went in and lost, didn't work.

You do not suck for 80 days because of ONE person. You do not lose 7 straight because of injuries. I saw the Leafs lose

Sundin for 2 rounds of playoffs and watched Alyn McCauly replace him all the way to the Conference Finals.

I saw the 1993 Habs get HUGE goals from Paul DiPietro and Gilbert Dionne. Who has stepped up for this team?

Who took their opportunity and ran with it?

Why didn't Kostitsyn raise his game when Kovalev struggled? Why didn't PLekanec raise his level when Lang went down?

Why didn't Halak grab the starting job and refuse to let go? He had an opportunity against the Leafs and played brutal and

Price went 3-0-1 and took the job back. If Halak had not shit the bed against the Leafs, he probably goes 4-0-1 and we

are not having this discussion. But he didn't take advantage of the opportunity.

This board either makes simplistic assertions of blame or excuses for their favourite players.

This team is what it is. When they overachieved last season, Chris gave them credit. He stuck to his guns even when

they went on a 4-0-1 run this year and people started falling all over themselves he remained consistent.

That post is not negative, it is reality.

no i think his point is wondering why people feel the need to come online and bring everybody down. We're all here to share our passion, and all the negativity lately makes me less likely to want to come on here and post. I will cheer for my team until the bitter end, win or lose that wont change. I suspect that isn't the case with some posters on this board. They almost seem to be hoping for a loss so they can be right.

I understand your point Noah, but on the other hand you can't honestly say expectations has been met and the franchise (as a whole, players & staff) have been up to the task this season. It's not just negativity, it's also realistic assessment.

Look at it this way: if a HWL team would go into the season as heavily favored as the Habs, with as good a team on paper, and barely squeak into the playoffs just to get (possibly) swept in round 1, we'd all think "what a choker!"

I understand your point Noah, but on the other hand you can't honestly say expectations has been met and the franchise (as a whole, players & staff) have been up to the task this season. It's not just negativity, it's also realistic assessment.

Look at it this way: if a HWL team would go into the season as heavily favored as the Habs, with as good a team on paper, and barely squeak into the playoffs just to get (possibly) swept in round 1, we'd all think "what a choker!"

You mean like Rob last year? :lol:

Well, my point was just to demonstrate how nothing we say on here means a difference to the team. ;)

As for your commentary about "realistic" assessment, I have to disagree. By and large, there are two elements on here, there's the overly positive who believe that there's been just a blip in the inevitable run to a glorious dynastic run of Cups down Ste. Catherines, and then there's the flip side of that coin from the "blow it up" crowd who seem to find fault in virtually everything related to the franchise.

(Of course, when I say there are two elements, I think there are varying degrees of those elements and I'm not trying to put a blanket over everyone, and I also believe there are some pretty neutral observers who aren't taking every event to extremes. (Kinda sad that every comment has to have a caveat, isn't it. Speaks to the highly volotile nature of these boards at this time.))

I believe the reality lies somewhere in the middle. Certainly, there are numerous problems on the ice and there are questions about the off-ice personnel that must be addressed. That said, I think wholesale changes are unneccessary and will only serve to debilitate the franchise further. Specifically, if we let all the UFA's and some of the RFA's go, who do we replace them with when the entire hockey community knows that Montreal is the place *not* to be. (Again, just making a point, that's not meant to be taken literally as a blanket statement.)

Case in point: the Koivu debate. Is he on the slippery slope down? - Obviously, though not nearly at the prodigious rate most haters would have us believe. His PPG this season is comparable (note I said comparable, and not exactly, save your attacks...) with his lifetime average. Can he carry this team on his shoulders? - Not at all at least in terms of production, but the number of players in the NHL who can do that are limited to about five. Is his leadership questionable? - Unknowable, though so many in here have decided they have the answer. If we lose him, do we have an adequate replacement who can step up and bring to the table what he does? - Not a chance. Chipchura? I think that ship is preparing to sail. Plekanec? His season this year certainly should leave everyone wondering. An as-yet unnamed UFA? Sure - now convince him to come to Montreal. But we'd need two, one to take the number one spot, and another to take his spot. Good luck with that.

Too many in here think with emotion and not with intellect. Sure, there's compelling reason to wave Koivu goodbye, but there's equally compelling reason to keep him here, it just depends on which side of the fence you stand. The *reality* is that, without Koivu, Montreal's issue at the centre position goes from precarious to downright disastrous.

Can anyone honestly disagree with that statement at this juncture?

Sure, Montreal fans want this and want that and they all sit in their comfy chairs analyzing in perpetuity then blast their decisions to the masses. I'm fairly confident that virtually none of them know all the real issues going on, and that the bulk of what they want is based on emotion and not intellect.

I'm not saying people aren't smart - another caveat - I'm saying they're thinking with emotion, and not with logic. This is the hockey equivalent to thinking with your penis while on a lengthy bender. "Oh, we need Lecavalier and this is how we're sure to get him." Beer goggles. Thick ones at that.

(And since every statement has to come with a caveat, I'm not saying we won't get him, I'm not saying we don't need him, and I'm not saying anything in particular about him - I'm merely using him as an example.)

So, Koz, while I respect a lot of your commentary and believe that you know your hockey quite well, I would disagree that your assessments are wholly *realistic*. I find you to be *overly* negative about a lot of things, and a quick perusal of the boards in recent days and weeks would show us that you like Lapierre, Latendresse, and precious little else about the club. Which is fine, but the reality is there's a lot more than those two out there that's worthwhile.

(That said, I think you, more than most, has a real reason to be negative lately. After all, the Hawks were better under the caretaker GM. :P )

(Oh yeah, and that other reason as well.)

:D;)

Just think if the refs haven't screwed us these past 3 games.................. :lol:

Funny some are calling for us to be positive, but as soon as we get a call against us it'll be "the refs are screwing us again.....and price looks shaky..."

Maybe so (about Price) but the team in front of him hasn't exactly dominated any games either........yes last game we had a decent 1st but then it was back to the same old same old.

Well, I'm getting ready to go to the Game. I almost feel like I'm going to a funeral...

I just hope our boys don't fall 1-0 or heaven forbid 2-0 in the first period, cause it'll be a long night!

C'mon boys, come out strong and take the lead...don't look back!!

Well, I'm getting ready to go to the Game. I almost feel like I'm going to a funeral...

I just hope our boys don't fall 1-0 or heaven forbid 2-0 in the first period, cause it'll be a long night!

C'mon boys, come out strong and take the lead...don't look back!!

Enjoy Habsfan!

If anyone boos the US anthem, please do me a favor and drown them out with your cheers.

Jaro BETTER be in net. If not, Bob Gainey is a bona fide idiot. Not only does Jaro deserve the start, but as was mentioned before...the fans will be out for blood, and hearing a WE WANT JARO chant after the first goal is certainly not something you want to subject Price to at this point.

I'd be very surprised if Halak was in nets. Gainey is one stubborn dude. Besides, if he didn't give him the job after some of the stellar games he had this year, he's not going to give it to him now, when he hasn't played in a while.

The other decision people bag on is the goalie choices. Halak had his chance to steal the #1 job, but he lost it in Toronto, he has no one to blame but himself.

Like Jack Todd said in the Gazette, Price can play poorly for a lot of the year, and 2 playoff series, and not lose the job, but if Halak lets in ONE weak goal, he sits the pine for weeks.

Check the save percentages my friend, before you crow.

Well, my point was just to demonstrate how nothing we say on here means a difference to the team. ;)

As for your commentary about "realistic" assessment, I have to disagree. By and large, there are two elements on here, there's the overly positive who believe that there's been just a blip in the inevitable run to a glorious dynastic run of Cups down Ste. Catherines, and then there's the flip side of that coin from the "blow it up" crowd who seem to find fault in virtually everything related to the franchise.

(Of course, when I say there are two elements, I think there are varying degrees of those elements and I'm not trying to put a blanket over everyone, and I also believe there are some pretty neutral observers who aren't taking every event to extremes. (Kinda sad that every comment has to have a caveat, isn't it. Speaks to the highly volotile nature of these boards at this time.))

I believe the reality lies somewhere in the middle. Certainly, there are numerous problems on the ice and there are questions about the off-ice personnel that must be addressed. That said, I think wholesale changes are unneccessary and will only serve to debilitate the franchise further. Specifically, if we let all the UFA's and some of the RFA's go, who do we replace them with when the entire hockey community knows that Montreal is the place *not* to be. (Again, just making a point, that's not meant to be taken literally as a blanket statement.)

Case in point: the Koivu debate. Is he on the slippery slope down? - Obviously, though not nearly at the prodigious rate most haters would have us believe. His PPG this season is comparable (note I said comparable, and not exactly, save your attacks...) with his lifetime average. Can he carry this team on his shoulders? - Not at all at least in terms of production, but the number of players in the NHL who can do that are limited to about five. Is his leadership questionable? - Unknowable, though so many in here have decided they have the answer. If we lose him, do we have an adequate replacement who can step up and bring to the table what he does? - Not a chance. Chipchura? I think that ship is preparing to sail. Plekanec? His season this year certainly should leave everyone wondering. An as-yet unnamed UFA? Sure - now convince him to come to Montreal. But we'd need two, one to take the number one spot, and another to take his spot. Good luck with that.

Too many in here think with emotion and not with intellect. Sure, there's compelling reason to wave Koivu goodbye, but there's equally compelling reason to keep him here, it just depends on which side of the fence you stand. The *reality* is that, without Koivu, Montreal's issue at the centre position goes from precarious to downright disastrous.

Can anyone honestly disagree with that statement at this juncture?

Sure, Montreal fans want this and want that and they all sit in their comfy chairs analyzing in perpetuity then blast their decisions to the masses. I'm fairly confident that virtually none of them know all the real issues going on, and that the bulk of what they want is based on emotion and not intellect.

I'm not saying people aren't smart - another caveat - I'm saying they're thinking with emotion, and not with logic. This is the hockey equivalent to thinking with your penis while on a lengthy bender. "Oh, we need Lecavalier and this is how we're sure to get him." Beer goggles. Thick ones at that.

(And since every statement has to come with a caveat, I'm not saying we won't get him, I'm not saying we don't need him, and I'm not saying anything in particular about him - I'm merely using him as an example.)

So, Koz, while I respect a lot of your commentary and believe that you know your hockey quite well, I would disagree that your assessments are wholly *realistic*. I find you to be *overly* negative about a lot of things, and a quick perusal of the boards in recent days and weeks would show us that you like Lapierre, Latendresse, and precious little else about the club. Which is fine, but the reality is there's a lot more than those two out there that's worthwhile.

(That said, I think you, more than most, has a real reason to be negative lately. After all, the Hawks were better under the caretaker GM. :P )

(Oh yeah, and that other reason as well.)

:D;)

well put

well put

Long put.

OK. We need to find some last resort mojo. Something to miraculously get us out of this predicament.

This is all I could find.

Read it and reply "Amen"

Our father, who art in Bell Centre,

Hockey be thy name.

Thy will be done, the Cup be won

On ice, as well as in the stands.

Give us this day our hockey sticks

And forgive us our penalties

As we forgive those who cross-check against us.

Lead us not into elimination

But deliver us to victory.

In the name of the fans,

Lord Stanley and the holy Habs.

Amen.