April 22th, 2009 | Canadiens vs. Bruins | Game 4 Thread

Cataclaw

Koivu is done - at best a third line ctr. We have Lapierre...goodbye Saks, thanks for the memories. No way back for him, Lang, Cube.

Jokinen, Cammalleri, aren't these two going to be available this summer? Must get one of them as our 2nd-line ctr., or someone else, a more solid player with touch and awareness.

Must explore a LeCavalier trade seriously with TB. Overpay on his contract, well, he is 28 and has years left. What decent team does not overpay their #1 ctr?

Try to keep Kovalev as a 1st / 2nd line wing with pp's. Love to see him with a new ctr and Pacioretty / D'Agostini for a year.

Tanguay big decision: is he a crock? Overrated? Potential great 1st-line winger. Need a sniper on the top line, can A Kost really develop into it?

Markov absolutely keep. Puck-moving d-man; probably a tough bastard too, seeing as we'll probably lose Komisarek to a huge offer. Weber up all year. Just a down year for Hamrlik? Finished?

Kosto only on 4th line thanks. Higgins 3rd or 4th - he, Dandy and Metropolit worked well. Like to see S Kost on Lapierre's wing with Latendresse for more than two shifts a game. Give them time to work into it, work ethic might rub off on him as well.

Lots to consider.

Oh right, most important thing to do: BURN EVERY GODDAMNED CANDY-CANE UNIFORM ON THE PLANET!!!!!

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh right, most important thing to do: BURN EVERY GODDAMNED CANDY-CANE UNIFORM ON THE PLANET!!!!!

Finally the blame is properly assigned ^_^

Patrick Roy commented already the gesture of Price mirroring his own move.

Loose quote:

"It wasnt the best move of my career, it was regretful. [The fact that Price did it] It shows that kids in Montreal are not well-surrounded. The Habs' future goes through Price, they need him to get back on track"

Laraque post-game interview criticizes the fans for jeering Price and chanting Carbo's name. Says the pressure is something that scares some players, but it's fun to be in Montreal, it's the best place to play when the team is winning

Yeah, but who will be back?

Our "keep 'em hanging" strategy of not signing players until they are too expensive then we lose them is boneheaded. So yeah who knows, but for sure we lose some more assets.

No surprise there. Interesting, I wonder who Laraque would single out as a scared player?

He was asked which players on the team were scared (and by extension wanted to run out of town) and he didnt really answer. He said "everybody was happy to be in Montreal this year but the way the season ended..." And he stopped there.

Patrick Roy commented already the gesture of Price mirroring his own move.

Loose quote:

"It wasnt the best move of my career, it was regretful. [The fact that Price did it] It shows that kids in Montreal are not well-surrounded. The Habs' future goes through Price, they need him to get back on track"

I didn't see the game. But reading about that gesture...it scares me. I think I agree with Patrick. How can it be that EVERY ONE of our major young players regressed this season? That's not normal. There must be a leadership or mentoring gap somewhere - and, contrary to those who blame Koivu, I think it's more complicated than that. (It may be as simple as the preponderance of young players on the team, none of whom can really mentor the other, coupled with cultural translation problems with the Kostitsyns, etc.; and maybe Carbo's notorious 'communication problems' really hurt the team culture by depriving the young guys of a head coach they could turn to).

I've been wondering for a while if Canadiens' management have given enough thought to more formal organizational mentoring structures. Life coaching, not just ice coaching. Gainey may not fully realize the guidance these young guys need in this city; after all, he played before the media and internet got totally out of control, and on a team that had a critical mass of championship-calibre talent and leaders. I said a while back, half in jest, that Gainey should have Dryden or Roy give Price a call. Now I think it really might be worth doing. Hook Price up with one of these legends...build a relationship. Hell, getting Roy in here as an ASSISTANT coach could really help (unless he too goes nuts). Do something analogous with ALL the young guys.

Montreal is not a normal city. The Habs need to have a specific strategy in place for developing young talent in the pathological environment that is Montreal. They're probably scratching their heads because they've done everything right by normal hockey standards...but this city ain't normal...

I didn't see the game. But reading about that gesture...it scares me. I think I agree with Patrick. How can it be that EVERY ONE of our major young players regressed this season? That's not normal. There must be a leadership or mentoring gap somewhere - and, contrary to those who blame Koivu, I think it's more complicated than that. (It may be as simple as the preponderance of young players on the team, none of whom can really mentor the other, coupled with cultural translation problems with the Kostitsyns, etc.; and maybe Carbo's notorious 'communication problems' really hurt the team culture by depriving the young guys of a head coach they could turn to).

I've been wondering for a while if Canadiens' management have given enough thought to more formal organizational mentoring structures. Life coaching, not just ice coaching. Gainey may not fully realize the guidance these young guys need in this city; after all, he played before the media and internet got totally out of control, and on a team that had a critical mass of championship-calibre talent and leaders. I said a while back, half in jest, that Gainey should have Dryden or Roy give Price a call. Now I think it really might be worth doing. Hook Price up with one of these legends...build a relationship. Hell, getting Roy in here as an ASSISTANT coach could really help (unless he too goes nuts). Do something analogous with ALL the young guys.

Montreal is not a normal city. The Habs need to have a specific strategy in place for developing young talent in the pathological environment that is Montreal. They're probably scratching their heads because they've done everything right by normal hockey standards...but this city ain't normal...

You can get a glimpse of the culture by listening to what Lafleur said: "They (the kids) are professionals, they have to take care of themselves, it's an NHL team not a kindergarten"... That's the 70's/80's culture of the Habs like Gainey, Jarvis, Carbo. Those guys were part of teams where if you didnt pull your weight there was a dozen of respected vets ready to chew your ass, and you didnt want to dissapoint them. 2009, completely different era, leaving kids to their own devices thinking they will also take care of themselves... doesnt work anymore.

Good evening Ladies!

Just got back from the Bell centre. I must admnit that I heard things tonight that I really didn't like! ie: the fans jeering Carey Price towards the end of the 2nd period. But I was one of the first ones up cheering for the kid. I felt bad when Carey raised his arms (like Patrick did so many years ago!) poor kid! Yeah, he let in some bad goals in this series, but he's NOT the reason why we sucked this year!

I particularly enjoyed the "lucic is a bitch" chant, seeing as I was one of the ones screaming it the loudest!;);) I also participated in the "thomas" chants in the 1st period... My vocal chords are shot!

In any case, i,m not to disappointed seeing as I already felt like I was going to a funeral. I guess the torture is over!

I particularly enjoyed the "lucic is a bitch" chant, seeing as I was one of the ones screaming it the loudest!;) ;) I also participated in the "thomas" chants in the 1st period... My vocal chords are shot!

Participating in chants at a hockey game, how dare you?! :P

I am glad that Roy came out and said something already. Hopefully it helps shield Price from some

of the criticism that is going to come his way.

Didn't you bring up something referring to how they missed Ryan Walter? He mentored didn't he?

This year was a disaster, but it is not the end of the world even though most will have you believe it is.

what did Price do, exactly?

Routine save, some fans cheered, he pumped his arms in the air Roy-vs-Detroit-in-95 style.

I am glad that Roy came out and said something already. Hopefully it helps shield Price from some

Didn't you bring up something referring to how they missed Ryan Walter? He mentored didn't he?

This year was a disaster, but it is not the end of the world even though most will have you believe it is.

Isnt Walter just giving seminars?

I know Kolzig was mentoring Price in Tri-City because I think Kolzig owned part of the team.

Yeah, I almost mentioned Walter again. Notice how the Canucks are doing, too. :puke: Anyway, I ain't saying Walter's the saviour - just that they need to think in terms of systematic, structured, organizational mentoring. By all appearances, they aren't thinking that way now.

The neat thing is that we can look forward to an EXTREMELY interesting off-season. This isn't entirely bad - there is a real fan excitement that comes from retooling, provided it's done well.

Positives in your view Wamsley? Curious.

I have Lapierre emerging, though a downer in the playoffs. Learning.

Pacioretty looked promising, as did D'Agostini, though less so.

Higgins finding some consistency on the lower lines. Dandenault contributed well over the last 20 games or so.

Tanguay excellent when healthy, which was very rare. Likewise Latendresse, when healthy, looked better than last year.

Halak looked good for long stretches; Price looked very good before the New Year.

i'm pretty sure Price just told off the fans. Good for him, he doesn't deserve the treatment he's getting, I feel bad for him.

Shameful display by the habs faithful.

It's not Price's fault; it's Gainey's fault. Price shouldn't even be out there. I actually feel sorry for the kid. Goddammit, we had a goalie sitting on the bench who might have given us a chance in this series. Instead we put in the AHL superstar. That's 4 goals on 23 shots folks. He's not terrible - just doesn't make the big save. What's his save percentage now? .860? I bet we're the only team in the NHL in recent years who rode an .875 goalie throughout a 4 game sweep, when we had a .915 sitting on the bench. Contrast this with Carolina a few years ago, who replaced a cold Martin Gerber after 2 games, with Cam Ward, and rode him all the way to the Stanley Cup. The management of THAT team did their job.

Good thing I'm not the owner or Gainey would be gone. If he stays, we'll stick with Price, come hell or high water. And next April, he'll help us lose our 3rd playoff series with him in nets (if we even make the playoffs). Used to be that players earned their position on the team with performance... now it's all politics.

It's not Price's fault; it's Gainey's fault. Price shouldn't even be out there. I actually feel sorry for the kid. Goddammit, we had a goalie sitting on the bench who might have given us a chance in this series. Instead we put in the AHL superstar. That's 4 goals on 23 shots folks. He's not terrible - just doesn't make the big save. What's his save percentage now? .860? I bet we're the only team in the NHL in recent years who rode an .875 goalie throughout a 4 game sweep, when we had a .915 sitting on the bench. Contrast this with Carolina a few years ago, who replaced a cold Martin Gerber after 2 games, with Cam Ward, and rode him all the way to the Stanley Cup. The management of THAT team did their job.

Good thing I'm not the owner or Gainey would be gone. If he stays, we'll stick with Price, come hell or high water. And next April, he'll help us lose our 3rd playoff series with him in nets (if we even make the playoffs). Used to be that players earned their position on the team with performance... now it's all politics.

Agreed wholeheartedly

So Halak would have won this game? What could Halak have done?

I don't know Wamsley but it seems to me that Halak won at least 4 games this year when there were 40+ shots against him. Besides this, he had a better save percentage than Price in the regular season. When Price came back and they undeservedly yanked the starting job from Halak, he had said that he was just getting in the groove.

Someday Halak will prove himself to be a much better goalie than Price. I just hope it's in a Habs uniform.

That's the best argument I can think of for the Habs dealing away Halak and bringing in a Veteran goalie to actually mentor Price.

This is by far the most idiotic post I've read so far!!! (Notice I'm not calling YOU an idiot, just your post). We better not lose Halak my friend, or this team is going to be bad for a very long time (or until they can get a UFA goalie).

Those of you saying Price will develop, just don't get it. This IS Price. This is what he'll always be - a decent goalie who can't handle pressure. Don't give me that "kid" bullshit. Patrick Roy was good right away. So was Dryden. So was Plante. So was Parent. So was Luongo. So was Brodeur. It gets MORE difficult, not easier, once the NHL snipers learn your weaknesses. There was only ONE exception to this rule that I can think of, and that was Hasek. He actually got better as his career progressed.

You can't "learn" to be great. You either have it or you don't.

Yeah it's just they don't have to speak to 50 reporters after the game and hear about it for the next week after on the radio and tv and in the newspapers. Not to mention anybody they walk by on the street. Rivet said it when he went to SJ, there was one reporter after the game in the dressing room.

Oh so what?!! Stop crying about the fans and media. In the NFL crazy USA, every superstar for the Giants, Jets, Colts, etc. etc. etc. is in the fans' bullseye, just like here. If they can't handle it, then find another job. I, for one, wish I had the talent to play in the NHL. As long as I played as hard as I can, I wouldn't care what the fans did.