April 22th, 2009 | Canadiens vs. Bruins | Game 4 Thread

Cataclaw

I don't know Wamsley but it seems to me that Halak won at least 4 games this year when there were 40+ shots against him. Besides this, he had a better save percentage than Price in the regular season. When Price came back and they undeservedly yanked the starting job from Halak, he had said that he was just getting in the groove.

Someday Halak will prove himself to be a much better goalie than Price. I just hope it's in a Habs uniform.

You cannot ignore the first half of the season because it is not in the recent past.

Price had some outstanding games in the first half of the season, he struggled in the second half.

All young goaltenders are inconsistent, it comes with the territory.

You have offered no reason as to why Halak will be better, so it is just conjecture on your part.

There wasn't many positives this year.

Lats and Laps improved, Paccioretty and Weber look to be strong pieces for the future, Subban upped his trade value.

Lang was a solid addition, but the rest of the teams seemed to regress to me.

Price will be stronger because of this (No, I don't believe this will ruin him), Halak will return stronger as well.

I do not envy Gainey, but I will also not sit here and tell you guys who to keep without the inside knowledge,

but something happened. The kids were thrown to the wolves and that is unacceptable.

They need the young kids to get back on track, if last year was a mirage then Gainey has a lot more work to do

then we thought.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Something happened. Someone slept with someone's wife, maybe. Maybe there was a fight. Maybe those rumours re: rapes or other nightmares were true and (unsurprisingly) sewed serious divisions in the room. Whatever it is, a collapse on this scale doesn't just happen.

Gainey will fix it.

You guys shold check out the RDS "Zone Video". They have two clips from the dressing room . Koivu, Komisarek, LAraque and Dandeneault said some things.

You could tell that Komisarek was somewhat tired and you could hear a tremor in his voice. I just hope this isn't the Last time I see him in a Habs jersey.

If the Habs let him go, I,ll be really pissed off. More pissed off than i've ever been!!!

You guys shold check out the RDS "Zone Video". They have two clips from the dressing room . Koivu, Komisarek, LAraque and Dandeneault said some things.

You could tell that Komisarek was somewhat tired and you could hear a tremor in his voice. I just hope this isn't the Last time I see him in a Habs jersey.

If the Habs let him go, I,ll be really pissed off. More pissed off than i've ever been!!!

Well...if he demands $6 mil, do you sign him? What's the point of raging at the Habs for the salary cap? But I agree, he should be re-signed and I think he will be, and under $5 mil would not surprise me at all.

I agree. Something happened. Someone slept with someone's wife, maybe. Maybe there was a fight. Maybe those rumours re: rapes or other nightmares were true and (unsurprisingly) sewed serious divisions in the room. Whatever it is, a collapse on this scale doesn't just happen.

Gainey will fix it.

Remember when Carbo was fired he said he didnt want to talk because the season wasnt over and Bob and the players were still there; but that one day the truth would come out?

I can't wait for that day now.

WHAT happened?

Worst. Fans. Ever.

I'm sorry Colin. We DO have the worst fans in the world. I apologize for fighting you on this issue in the past.

I'm sadly waiting to hear about riots and other such nonsense.

And I know the counter-arguments. Playing here when you're winning is fantastic, etc, etc, etc. This is the parity NHL - no team wins consistently for very long anymore.

The simple fact of the matter is this: The Canadiens are a religion; moreso than the Yankees, the Red Sox, the Reds (Liverpool), and the rest. Montreal trancends sport, particularly in Montreal, and fans are more rabid here than anywhere else. Don't believe me? Why do we riot win or lose?

Roy screwed us by saying he played his last game with us. Houle suddenly ended up with no replacement starter and much less leverage because he had to trade Roy and get a good goalie in return.

Roy said himself a while back that, had someone from the organization come to him, he probably would have found a way to stay. Houle knee-jerked, and then lost Roy and the rest of the organization after that.

Now, having said all this, I enjoyed this game thread more than most. I couldn't stop laughing at some of the posts. It's a shame people don't know how to debate. Everyone is Always. Right. About. Everything. No one can possibly believe that someone might actually have a point. Sad. And yet, very amusing.

"There's two ways you can go about it," Lucic said of the fight. "You can go about it the cheap way and cross-check someone. Or you can do it the right way, the honorable way, and fight somebody with the gloves off."

I wonder if any reporter had a follow-up response of, "What about wrapping your gloves around a guys face from behind and pulling him down when he's not expecting it?"

Milan Lucic talking about honour. Fwah!

Worst. Fans. Ever.

I'm sadly waiting to hear about riots and other such nonsense.

And I know the counter-arguments. Playing here when you're winning is fantastic, etc, etc, etc. This is the parity NHL - no team wins consistently for very long anymore.

The simple fact of the matter is this: The Canadiens are a religion; moreso than the Yankees, the Red Sox, the Reds (Liverpool), and the rest. Montreal trancends sport, particularly in Montreal, and fans are more rabid here than anywhere else. Don't believe me? Why do we riot win or lose?

There's always been a rabid, passionate, merciless side to the Habs crowd. More than anywhere else. It goes way back. Beliveau was booed, Dryden was booed, it's nothing really new.

What worsen lately -- I believe -- is the growing European/Soccer subculture that seemed to have mixed with the hockey fandom. Montreal has too many hooligans, classless a-holes with no respect for anyone or anything. On top of that, there's a sense of entitlement that skews all perspective and makes some fans believe they are owed everything. It's sad, because like Rollie Melanson said, you have 1500 people ruining it for other the 20 000.

But passion is passion. It amplifies and magnififes everything. The team and players will have to accept that to have the crowd on their side they need to show as much passion.

I caught the "highlights' on TSN this morning, and surprised there wasn't more of a stink on Kessel's goal......clearly off side (but a moot point) the way we were playing.....and I think the outcome would have beed the same.

But Price's GAA would have went down... :rolleyes:

Edited by kenadian

Doesn't it seem strange with all the posts i just read Price is the only player that was called out. That pretty much sums up certain habs fans. If people think last night's game or the series was on Price, your delusion, you don't know much about hockey, your not a true fan.

Was it Price's fault That Hamrlik turned the puck over 5 feet in front of him?

Was it Price's fault Higgins lost a battle, then didn't take his man.

He didn't let the breakaway happen. No offsides call

What was Price suppose to do on the 4th goal.

Why is it that KNOW ONE seems to blame the lazy, heartless players who scored a grand total of 6 goals in 4 games? What the heck is that? I know, that's Price's fault too.

The defense is possibly the worst in the league. Again what can Price do about that.

As for some habs "fans", simply emabarrassing, taunting Price, boooing national anthems. They show no call.

People wonder why players don't want to sign here, i give you exhibit A, redicolous fans.

Did Koivu even play in this series, I don't recall seeing Pleks, AK46, D'Agi? Kovalev had 2 good shots, but when the best 3 forwards are Laraque, Metropolit and Higgins, you have issues.

Komi was an embarrasment, Komi, if your going to drop your gloves, you may consider throwing a punch, then cheap shotting him later, what a joke.

Doesn't it seem strange with all the posts i just read Price is the only player that was called out. That pretty much sums up certain habs fans. If people think last night's game or the series was on Price, your delusion, you don't know much about hockey, your not a true fan.

Agreed, my post was being sarcastic (about Price's GAA) I've said it also that the 5 guys in front of him we're also at fault (in every game)

It was nice watching the Flames/Hawks game....that's playoff hockey! That's what it's about all 5 guys (on both teams) playing their hardest, fastest, grittiest EVERY shift. And boy oh boy that was a fast game to watch.....forechecks by both team, some thunderous hits both ways as well...

Yep, if these habs fans actually watched good playoff teams, they would see a massive difference in intensity, defense, going to the net and hard work.

Something the habs players know nothing about.

Well...if he demands $6 mil, do you sign him? What's the point of raging at the Habs for the salary cap? But I agree, he should be re-signed and I think he will be, and under $5 mil would not surprise me at all.

No, i wouldnT, but if we use realistic comparables (ie Robin regher and Chris Philips,) who both make under 4 million$ per season, i just don't see how his agent could ask for 6 million$

the problem is that if he goes to free agency, you can bet your house that Brian Burke will offer him something like 18 million$ over 4 years...if it's not Burke, it'll be the NY Islanders Gm who will make him that kind of offer!! They'll do it just to make sure we can't re-sign him!

If we lose Komisarek, we have nobody to replace him. O'Byrne is certainly not ready and what little "toughness" we had will be gone. We'll be right back to where we were 5 years ago...that is a team of pussies!

Edited by Habsfan

O'Byrne looks as if he'll never be ready.

The game is too fast for him at the NHL level. Unfortunate, we could have used a big guy like him(6'5", 230 pds)

Was it Price's fault That Hamrlik turned the puck over 5 feet in front of him?

Was it Price's fault Higgins lost a battle, then didn't take his man.

He didn't let the breakaway happen. No offsides call

What was Price suppose to do on the 4th goal.

Why is it that KNOW ONE seems to blame the lazy, heartless players who scored a grand total of 6 goals in 4 games? What the heck is that? I know, that's Price's fault too.

The defense is possibly the worst in the league. Again what can Price do about that.

Too true, embarrassing and sh*te reaction from fans who, if they are going to boo, should be booing the d-corps in general...and most forwards...

Hamrlik, O'Byrne, Gorges, total embarrassments. Komisarek, well, at least he tried to do something...anything...

The game is too fast for him at the NHL level. Unfortunate, we could have used a big guy like him(6'5", 230 pds)

I've never seen a guy that big play so small...worse than Gorges, who should be the Gay Parade's Grand Marshall this year, he backs in so much.

No, i wouldnT, but if we use realistic comparables (ie Robin regher and Chris Philips,) who both make under 4 million$ per season, i just don't see how his agent could ask for 6 million$

the problem is that if he goes to free agency, you can bet your house that Brian Burke will offer him something like 18 million$ over 4 years...if it's not Burke, it'll be the NY Islanders Gm who will make him that kind of offer!! They'll do it just to make sure we can't re-sign him!

If we lose Komisarek, we have nobody to replace him. O'Byrne is certainly not ready and what little "toughness" we had will be gone. We'll be right back to where we were 5 years ago...that is a team of pussies!

It's pretty simple. If he wants to stay in Montreal, he will accept being paid like Regher. That is a perfect comparable.

Otherwise he will flee to the highest bidder, the two or three nutter organizations who will be happy to pay $6 mil/year for a 5-goal defenceman, i.e., Toronto or the Islanders.

Unfortunately, partly because of his own play this season, we can no longer use the argument that he should stay with us if he wants a chance to win. Here's where Gainey's 'the Canadiens are a family' organizational philosophy will be put to the test. Does Komi have the :hlogo: tatooed on his heart? Or is he happy to play the mercenary?

(If I were him, I'd also consider my tendency to be a much diminished player when I'm not paired with Markov...but I doubt he'll think about that).

Poor Price. It's clearly Gainey's fault for riding him when it's obvious he won't turn it around. If he's that important in your plans for the future, and you think he has Stanley Cup potential, then play Halak to spare him what was inevitably going to happen last night. It was nice to hear Koivu's comment: (paraphrasing) "I think he's going to win a Stanley Cup. I hope it's with me." I don't know how this will effect Price's confidence, but he may be done in Montreal.

At least with all the free agents, we can hope that there will be a big shift in the culture and attitude of this team.

Christ, watch him play this playoffs. . Back in, back in, back in, surrender at all costs. Bad with the puck, panics, hopeless on attack, weak in front of the net; worse, he delays every time he gets the puck back of his own net, waits and invites the forecheck, then does this absurd dance where he tries to muscle the opponent out of position. All this needless, losing it or firing it blind up the boards, or pressuring the team as the opponent moves in.

I meant embarrassment in the playoffs. He was mediocre this year, a decent start with some good aggressive play, but became like he was last year; everyone went nuts over his glorified +/- stats. He is a nowhere man. I'm hoping it was more learning curve stuff from him, but really he plays defense about as bad as anyone on the team, slows the whole team down hopelessly. I don't know, maybe he's told to play like that, concede until you are standing in your own crease.

I agree with that, he is a solid bottom pair D man.

And yet people want to resign Scneider who was a whopping minus 14 in what 20 plus games, he is old, slow, soft. Too many players fit that mold, at least Gorges will go into the corner.

Christ, watch him play this playoffs. . Back in, back in, back in, surrender at all costs. Bad with the puck, panics, hopeless on attack, weak in front of the net; worse, he delays every time he gets the puck back of his own net, waits and invites the forecheck, then does this absurd dance where he tries to muscle the opponent out of position. All this needless, losing it or firing it blind up the boards, or pressuring the team as the opponent moves in.

I meant embarrassment in the playoffs. He was mediocre this year, a decent start with some good aggressive play, but became like he was last year; everyone went nuts over his glorified +/- stats. He is a nowhere man. I'm hoping it was more learning curve stuff from him, but really he plays defense about as bad as anyone on the team, slows the whole team down hopelessly. I don't know, maybe he's told to play like that, concede until you are standing in your own crease.

I think you are just a pessimist who sees the worst in everything.