Just skip to the draft already

alexstream

Scott Glennie?

Jordan Caron?

I'm looking at Center, above 6' tall, who will likely be available at our drafting position (15-18)

What are you looking at?

Oh boy, these are gonna be the two longest month ... *sigh*

Ain't over till the fat lady sings.

I heard she's warming up for a vocal performance tonight, but you never know.. that's one show that might yet be cancelled.

lol, you seriously think it's not over?

I mean, we "might" be able to win tonight (even then, who would step it up? there is no super hero healthy besides Kovalev... and he's more than well covered by Chara)... but not 4 in a row.

I hear Mangiola will be at the game. In the hallway to the Bruins locker room. With a bunch of his friends.

This series is Montreal's. Chara should be back for next season after recovering from the punctured lung and lacerated penis.

Scott Glennie?

Jordan Caron?

I'm looking at centre, above 6' tall, who will likely be available at our drafting position (15-18)

What are you looking at?

Oh boy, these are gonna be the two longest month ... *sigh*

I'm right there with you. I'm interested to see Caron play at the mem cup. Glennie we might have to trade up for.

Anyone know anything about Chris Kreider?

Scott Glennie?

Jordan Caron?

I'm looking at Center, above 6' tall, who will likely be available at our drafting position (15-18)

Hope it won't be another Chipchura...

Louis Leblanc would please the fans (local boy) and Timmins (USHL player). :P Caron could get consideration since he's playing with Fortier and Timmins likes to pick teammates. Would be nice for me since my dad knows Caron's dad.

But I betcha Timmins will go for another College/High School US guy like Kreider or Budish...

lol, you seriously think it's not over?

Last i checked, we were still in the playoffs.

When it's over, it'll be over. In all likelyhood, it'll be over tonight, but still.. that point in time has yet to arrive.

A few people brought up Landon Ferraro. I hope he is bigger then his dad. He is suppose to be a pretty good winger.

I basically get no info on prospects here in colorado I normally read whet the other posters say about the young players.

Last byear and this year the Memorial cup is the NHL network. Unfortunately it's the only chance i get to see the younger players play.

I do get alot of college games though.

Yeah big centre would be good. LIKE LECALVALIER

/sacarsm

good idea, never thought about it.

Koz makes a point though. Louis Leblanc would be a perfect match.

NCAA for Timmins

French speaking for Réjean Tremblay.

lmao

good idea, never thought about it.

Koz makes a point though. Louis Leblanc would be a perfect match.

NCAA for Timmins

French speaking for Réjean Tremblay.

lmao

heard stephane Leroux talking on how timmins as a twinkle in his eye when speaking of leblanc.

as long as its not another Dman.

heard stephane Leroux talking on how timmins as a twinkle in his eye when speaking of leblanc.

:lol:

Hear that you kids: if you're from Quebec and your dream is to play for the Habs, play junior in the US! :P

Why not Zach Budish?

He's big, can score (yes it's HS hockey, but he has the hands) and is a Minnesota boy that Timmins loves.

Edit: Sorry Koz... didn't notice you mentioned him already.

Edited by Habitforming

I think the Habs should concentrate on drafting talented big Centres for the next 3 years(just like they've been drafting d-men for the past 5 years!)

Habs take the best player available at their spot. Regardless of who it is. Don't go reaching for a centre and settle for less

Since it's just like a lottery anyways, I'd rather pick up tons of "center" tickets.

In 2003 Anthony Stewart was rated very highly and was picked 25th... so let's name him "BPA"

18 teams didn't pick Getzlaf. Ana picked him 19th instead of "BPA"

23 teams didn't pick Mike Richards. Philly picked him 24th (that was a stretch back then! everyone was surprised they picked a "checker" that high) instead of "BPA"

;)

I know it's not like that in real life.

Since it's just like a lottery anyways, I'd rather pick up tons of "centre" tickets.

In 2003 Anthony Stewart was rated very highly and was picked 25th... so let's name him "BPA"

18 teams didn't pick Getzlaf. Ana picked him 19th instead of "BPA"

23 teams didn't pick Mike Richards. Philly picked him 24th (that was a stretch back then! everyone was surprised they picked a "checker" that high) instead of "BPA"

;)

I know it's not like that in real life.

Chipchura

Chouinard

Wikenheiser

Not like picking Centres has been this clubs forte

I'm right there with you. I'm interested to see Caron play at the mem cup. Glennie we might have to trade up for.

Anyone know anything about Chris Kreider?

I hope it is legal to do this but I found this article. Article was dated August 2008.

Kreider gives BC hockey verbal commitment for 2010-11

By Matt Williams

staff writer

The defending NCAA hockey champions' future just got even brighter — and in the process a fast rising local star will get his chance to shine on one of college hockey's biggest stages.

Chris Kreider, the Boxford native and Phillips Andover standout, gave Hockey East powerhouse Boston College his verbal commitment to join the school for the 2010-11 season last week.

"I'm walking on air, to be honest," said Kreider, a slick-skating left wing who scored 41 points for Phillips last season. "(Boston College) is amazing | there's nothing not to like about it. I'm honored to get the opportunity to go there and play (Division 1) hockey."

The 6-foot-1, 190-pound Kreider joins what's been one of the most successful programs in the country over the last 10 years. Since 1998, the Eagles have advanced to eight Frozen Fours and played in the national championship game six times (winning in 2001 and 2008).

Playing hockey for coach Jerry York | he of 803 career wins, second all-time | at the Heights is akin to playing football at Notre Dame or basketball at Duke. In other words, it's only for the best and the brightest.

"BC has everything you look for in a college," said Kreider. "It isn't too far from home, the city is right there and the academics are very strong."

Fast development

It's hard to believe that one of the hottest prospects in the country was lacing up his skates for Masconomet just two years ago. But that's exactly what Kreider | who's starting to gather steam on various NHL draft boards for 2009 | was doing.

After a freshman season that saw him score 10 points, Kreider took control as a sophomore. In 2006-07, he racked up 41 points | including an eye-popping five hat tricks | while earning Salem News Player of the Year honors.

At the outset of that memorable season, one look at Kreider's bulging forearms and his four inch growth spurt gave Masco coach Bill Blackwell and his staff the idea that they had something special at hand.

"Our first game we played North Reading, who'd beaten us 6-1 the year before," Blackwell recalled. "Chris' second shift, he went by two kids and took a snap shot. It hit the back of the net before the goalie even had his glove up.

"At that point, an assistant and I kind of looked at each other, and knew he could be unbelievable."

That night, Kreider scored three times and had five points and went on to terrorize the Cape Ann League in 2006-07.

That success, and an eye on a bright future on the ice, led Kreider to repeat his sophomore season at Phillips Andover last fall. He'll skate there for two more seasons before enrolling at BC.

"From where he was to where he is, in such a short time, is incredible," Blackwell said. "We couldn't be happier for him."

The College Way

It wasn't long before Kreider knew he wanted to play college hockey — and realized he had the skill set to pull it off. In fact, it was one of the reasons he enrolled at Phillips Andover in the first place.

"I've always wanted to go with college; that's one of the reasons I went to prep school instead of playing junior hockey," Kreider, 17, said. "I was considering some Ivy League schools, too, so academics played a huge role in my decision."

Still, there are a lot if options for players that have dreams of professional hockey. One of them is Canada's Major Junior Leagues, which routinely send alums to the National Hockey League. The downside is that these Canadian junior leagues are considered professional leagues by the NCAA, which strips participants of college eligibility.

The Saint John Sea Dogs of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League selected Kreider in the 10th round of the league's draft this summer. Routinely, teams select Americans in late rounds in the hopes that they'll forgo college. Locals Brian McGuirk (Boston University) and Cory Schneider (BC) were both chosen before deciding to play in Hockey East. Kreider will follow suit.

"(Being drafted) was a surprise and an honor," said Kreider, who also drew interest from Harvard, among other colleges. "They do take chances on Americans, but only on kids they feel are of a high caliber. I didn't think I was on their radar but I was honored, even though that's not the route I want to take."

Those skills include Kreider's speed and hockey sense. One scout told the New England Hockey Journal that he might be "the best kid to come out of Massachusetts in the last 10 years."

"I saw him at Phillips last year, and on their power play you could tell that Chris was making decisions before he even had the puck," said Blackwell. "At this level, most of the time that kind of thing is delayed. But not with Chris.

"The other thing that's impressive is his speed. His first step is full speed. And his forearm and hand strength are ridiculous."

The perfect fit

By all accounts, Kreider is as strong off the ice as he is on it. His leadership and locker room presence immediately impressed the folks at Phillips Andover, and he's a strong student to boot.

That's another factor that makes playing for York | one of the most respected men in all of college sports | all the more appropriate.

"Chris called me the other day to tell me about (his decision to commit to) BC," said Blackwell. "He thanked me for all I'd done for him on and off the ice, and you really get goose bumps thinking about stuff like that.

"The thing that sets Chris apart is the person that he is. The Phillips coach said the same thing | he's great in their locker room. He's a special kid."

Kreider isn't sure what he wants to study in school and was struck by the diversity of subjects offered at BC. The shot at a grade-A education and playing in one of the top hockey leagues in America was too much to pass up.

"I found both the staff and the players to be very genuine," he said.

Going forward

With his future plans set, Kreider will play for the U-18 Valley Junior Warriors program this fall and be back on the ice at Phillips Andover in the winter. But he certainly won't be coasting along looking forward to 2010. Quite the opposite, actually.

"I feel like the pressure's just been put on me, actually," Kreider said. "(Boston College) carries such a reputation that I feel like I have to prove myself every time I skate. I feel like I have to improve every time I step on the ice."

Getting better every day is something Kreider seems to have been doing since his days at Masconomet. If he continues doing so at this pace, by the time he gets to BC the results could be incredible.

The Eagles are banking on it.

Chipchura

Chouinard

Wikenheiser

Not like picking Centres has been this clubs forte

Bob Gainey/Trevor Timmins should use the 'phone-a-friend' lifeline before picking a centre...ask some GM/head scout who have done a great job picking centers lately, and give him a nice kickback if the pick pans out.

Edited by sbhatt

Remember our HW mock draft last year? This was before they dealt their pick for Tanguay, but still...

The HW consensus pick for the Habs last year was C Evgeny Grachev. He was 6'3, 200+ lbs, and was very skilled. One of the runners-up was C Mikhail Stefanovich, a 6'2, 200 lb, skilled centre playing for Patrick Roy in Quebec. Grachev came over to Brampton, scored 40 goals, played well at the WJC's, and has 10 goals in 15 playoff games as Brampton is currently leading their OHL semifinal 3-2 over Subban's Bulls team. Stefanovich scored 49 goals this year and has 11 goals in 16 playoff games.

Here's the kicker: both big, skilled centres were STILL available when the Habs picked Kristo in round 2. Stefanovich was still on the board when Quailer was picked in round 3.

We were all pining for a big, skilled centre last year. Timmins didn't bite on the two we were debating over. A year later, I don't know... I think we could've had a couple of gems.

Remember our HW mock draft last year? This was before they dealt their pick for Tanguay, but still...

The HW consensus pick for the Habs last year was C Evgeny Grachev. He was 6'3, 200+ lbs, and was very skilled. One of the runners-up was C Mikhail Stefanovich, a 6'2, 200 lb, skilled centre playing for Patrick Roy in Quebec. Grachev came over to Brampton, scored 40 goals, played well at the WJC's, and has 10 goals in 15 playoff games as Brampton is currently leading their OHL semifinal 3-2 over Subban's Bulls team. Stefanovich scored 49 goals this year and has 11 goals in 16 playoff games.

Here's the kicker: both big, skilled centres were STILL available when the Habs picked Kristo in round 2. Stefanovich was still on the board when Quailer was picked in round 3.

We were all pining for a big, skilled centre last year. Timmins didn't bite on the two we were debating over. A year later, I don't know... I think we could've had a couple of gems.

:angry: