Official MLB Discussion Thread

Quebecois

Quite a classless show by Batista on homerun left sour taste, uncalled for to show up pitcher that bad.

Also unbelievable the team players get all drunk after one series win?

Quite a classless show by Batista on homerun left sour taste, uncalled for to show up pitcher that bad.

I'm not a big fan of the bat flips, especially the hype they get now.

As for the drinking celebration, every team does that when they win a round. Maybe that's part of the reason that there's a day off between series? Forget it being a travel day, it's a hangover day.

Personally thought the bat flip was awesome, and perfect. Batista just hit the biggest homer of his career, he didn't Jack the Rangers bench the finger and run naked around base. You hit one of the biggest homers in Jay's history, emotion will run wiiiild. In the words of joe Thornton "I would have whipped my c**k out."

Sports are purely entertainment. We need more of it! I don't think Batista flipped his bat for negative feelings towards the pitcher, but for his and his teammates feelings of absolute joy. People need to see the positive here instead of the negative.

My two cents

Personally thought the bat flip was awesome, and perfect. Batista just hit the biggest homer of his career, he didn't Jack the Rangers bench the finger and run naked around base. You hit one of the biggest homers in Jay's history, emotion will run wiiiild. In the words of joe Thornton "I would have whipped my c**k out."

Sports are purely entertainment. We need more of it! I don't think Batista flipped his bat for negative feelings towards the pitcher, but for his and his teammates feelings of absolute joy. People need to see the positive here instead of the negative.

My two cents

Bautista's entire reaction there made the limited number of things going through his brain entirely evident.

"Holy..."

"Holy shit."

"Holy . YES."

"HOLY ING SHIT! YES!"

At that point, i'm sure he didn't realize that anyone on the Texas Rangers team even existed.

It was awesome.

Bautista's entire reaction there made the limited number of things going through his brain entirely evident.

"Holy..."

"Holy shit."

"Holy ######. YES."

"HOLY ######ING SHIT! YES!"

At that point, i'm sure he didn't realize that anyone on the Texas Rangers team even existed.

It was awesome.

Exactly! Your run through of his thoughts is probably spot on with how he was actually thinking hahah, which is not much thinking at all. Just "JUMPIN JESUS HERE TODAY"

*throws bat to somewhere in the atlantic*

Cueto tried to knee pillar in the head after he slid into home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41dmh2PqUcs

This guy is an asshole... if you need to see more examples, just look at when he kicked jason larue in the head with his steal spikes and ended his career (And the guy still has post concussion symptoms 5 years later).

A couple of pages earlier, there was a bit of discussion about Pat Venditte, Oakland's unique switch pitcher. He's now a member of the Blue Jays but obviously isn't available to pitch in the postseason.

Daniel Norris, the centrepiece of the David Price deal, announced that he has thyroid cancer today and has had a tumour for several months now (Detroit's GM acknowledged they were aware of it before they made the trade). Hopefully he'll be able to recover nicely.

Well, that Game 4 was a tough loss. It's going to have a huge effect on this afternoon's game as well as the Jays are down essentially to two healthy/competent relievers...

Hendriks - 59 pitches, he's probably not available until Game 7.

Tepera - 38 pitches, likely next available for Game 6.

Hawkins - Available but has coughed up 7 hits in his last 1 2/3 innings. He's all but guaranteed to cough up runs.

Loup - Not with the team (family reasons).

Lowe - 29 pitches yesterday, 12 the day before. Maybe he could face a batter or two but nothing more.

That leaves Osuna/Sanchez as the only real options out of the pen. If Estrada doesn't go deep today, they may have to burn Price in relief again. This could be trouble.

I have the image of four Blue Jays sadly looking over the fence, unbelieving of what just played out. Anyone know what a bunt looks like? Didn't think so. There comes a time when you have to play for the run. Sadly the Blue jays don't get that.

I have the image of four Blue Jays sadly looking over the fence, unbelieving of what just played out. Anyone know what a bunt looks like? Didn't think so. There comes a time when you have to play for the run. Sadly the Blue jays don't get that.

I was thinking squeeze play with Revere but the infield was playing really shallow which may have scared them off. Even still, with Pompey on 3rd, I might have been inclined to try it.

Big news of the year according to Shi Davidi-- AA rejects extension offer and is moving on! Shapiro is setting himself up for his own demise.

I don't think Shapiro is going to be winning any popularity contests as it sounds like he wanted to take some of the baseball decisions away from Anthopoulos. I wonder if Gibbons survives now as well.

I don't think Shapiro is going to be winning any popularity contests as it sounds like he wanted to take some of the baseball decisions away from Anthopoulos. I wonder if Gibbons survives now as well.

Exactly- about control-- Gibbons is as good as gone- I suspect Mattingly will get a look see-- Tough act to follow--- I would predict that Shapiro will be gone in 2-3 years--- Got to wonder about what roster players will stay?

Exactly- about control-- Gibbons is as good as gone- I suspect Mattingly will get a look see-- Tough act to follow--- I would predict that Shapiro will be gone in 2-3 years--- Got to wonder about what roster players will stay?

Mattingly is now Miami's manager. If Gibbons does go, I wouldn't be shocked to see Manny Acta get a close look.

As for what happens with the roster, it depends on what mandate has been given to Shapiro. Has he been told to tear it down and rebuild through the farm? If so, that's going to take a few years. Will Shapiro hold both duties or will another GM be brought in? That will also impact how long Shapiro's tenure lasts.

There's another GM opening now as Miami dismissed their GM, Dan Jennings, for some odd reason. It's not like Loria put Jennings in any sort of crazy situation last year by asking him to manage the team despite having no managerial experience whatsoever... Oh wait, that's exactly what he did.

There's another GM opening now as Miami dismissed their GM, Dan Jennings, for some odd reason. It's not like Loria put Jennings in any sort of crazy situation last year by asking him to manage the team despite having no managerial experience whatsoever... Oh wait, that's exactly what he did.

They don't need a GM, they need a magician.

Terry Francona (shapiro's manager in Cleveland) has an out clause in his contract this off-season.

He was also quick to say when they announced Shapiro was leaving that he had no desire to use it. (Though time has passed since then.)