Official MLB Discussion Thread

Quebecois

Blue Jays are trying to sell that AA's job remained the same. I listen to the AA interview on prime time. AA is a class act and wouldn't throw anybody under the bus, but it was clear there were changes. On top of that, wouldn't the manager of the year expect a little more respect? I think Shapiro is in tough, and this whole thing could go downhill in a hurry.

They'll be patient with Shapiro. They didn't throw a ton of money at him and give him more responsibility (to lure him from Cleveland) to give him a 'win fast or you're gone' mandate.

With Anthopoulos, I think the main change was that Shapiro wants to be active in personnel decisions. Instead of Beeston rubber stamping almost everything, he was going to have to get Shapiro's approval. Based on Shapiro's history in Cleveland (stash the youth, ask for a ton for any young player) and Anthopoulos' willingness to trade prospects, they were probably going to clash before long. If Anthopoulos had to build the team to fit someone else's vision instead of his own, that's something he probably wasn't willing to do.

I agree with your summation. Just like everybody else, we have to read between the lines, to get to the real truth. The World Series is over and the off season starts in 24-48 hrs? We soon get to see what Shapiro is made of. Let the NeoBlue begin.

• 2 weeks later...

Who have you seen signed from another team that wasn't traded?

The notable MLB signings thus far are re-signings (Estrada, Franklin Gutierrez, AJ Pierzynski) plus qualifying offer guys. Ty Kelly was in Toronto's system last year, he signed with the Mets yesterday. James Russell was with the Cubs last year and signed with the Phillies on Thursday.

Linked below is the offseason calendar. Teams get a five day window to negotiate with their own free agents (Nov. 2nd to midnight on Nov. 6th). After that, free agents are free to sign anywhere. Unlike hockey or basketball though, there isn't a big frenzy of signings right off the hop.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/11/mlb-offseason-begins.html

Thanx Dlbair---As noted there isn't alot of movement-- the first three you have listed I believe returned to their original teams and the other two are minor leaguers-- Seems every year that someone has to open floodgates by signing one or two of the free top agents. Players agents are chumming the waters seeing how much money is out there for their top clients. We wait patiently for a feeding frenzy.

I am a little peeved at the timing of the Travis surgery. I know they were holding out to see if he might been available should they have made it through, but as far as I am concerned he should have had the surgery months ago thereby being ready to go at least at the start of season, if not before. In hind sight, bad decision making.

I am a little peeved at the timing of the Travis surgery. I know they were holding out to see if he might been available should they have made it through, but as far as I am concerned he should have had the surgery months ago thereby being ready to go at least at the start of season, if not before. In hind sight, bad decision making.

Toronto doctors aren't very good at diagnosing injuries it seems. This appears to be another of those cases.

The Blue Jays say they discovered that Travis had a pre-existing acromion bone non-union in his left shoulder earlier this season. The condition, known as an Os Acromiale, didn’t appear to be contributing to his left shoulder inflammation at the time, but after weighing other possibilities, doctors recommended a procedure that included inserting screws to stabilize the extra bone in his shoulder. Dr. David Altchek operated on Travis in New York City Tuesday.

So the non-union didn't appear to be contributing to his issues in their opinion originally but after it didn't heal after months of time off, then they figured that it might be the problem. There seems to be something like this annually, I remember Adam Lind the year before who was playing with some sort of a fracture that wasn't diagnosed until his parents bugged the Jays to run more tests after the doctors couldn't find anything wrong. Even the Michael Saunders fiasco this season - take the quick fix surgery, find out it didn't work well after the fact, and he missed virtually the entire season as a result.

In happier news, Dan Shulman will call ~30 Toronto games for Sportsnet in each of the next two seasons. I'm already looking forward to those games.

It would be awesome if Dan was the full time guy for Jays games, a real pro broadcaster, and a really grounded nice guy...

He gets paid more to be the #1 guy on baseball for ESPN and #3 on the their College Basketball than Sportsnet could afford for him.

Good for Dan though, glad he has that big success.

J.A. Happ appears to be the big pitching acquisition for the Jays as they've signed him for 3 years and $36 million. I liked Happ as a #5 guy in his first go-round but $12 M per year isn't #5 money. Hopefully his stint with Pittsburgh is a sign of late improvements and not just a fluke.

Stroman

Estrada

Dickey

Happ

Chavez

Hutchinson

UGGHHHHHH...... AFter all the ticket sales, all the tv ratings, all the merch sales, Rogers still insists on a payroll that handicaps this roster.

No wonder AA left as quickly as he could.

It's an underwhelming rotation to say the least but there's at least depth there, something that has been an issue in past years. It feels like they're trying the KC philosophy of getting some decent pitchers (Estrada, Dickey, and Happ are all 3/4 type guys) and using another element to beat opponents. For the Royals, it's the bullpen while for Toronto, it's the offence. If the reports of a ~$140 M payroll are true, they have a bit of money left to try to add another bullpen piece and a back end of Sanchez/Osuna/Cecil plus that bullpen piece isn't terrible. (Unless, of course, one of Sanchez/Osuna goes to AAA to be stretched out as a starter...)

The non-tender deadline is on Wednesday and it will be interesting to see who all gets let go around the league (perhaps the Jays let a couple go to open up a few bucks as well).

I think the jays should trade revere (6-7 million in arbitration) and run the cheaper Saunders/Pompey platoon in LF. Use the revere money to bolster that bullpen....

If they think Pompey is ready now, I wouldn't be shocked to see them go that route. On the other hand, if they don't think Saunders can come back, they may non-tender him and keep Revere (which wouldn't free up as much but still would save a bit).

If they think Pompey is ready now, I wouldn't be shocked to see them go that route. On the other hand, if they don't think Saunders can come back, they may non-tender him and keep Revere (which wouldn't free up as much but still would save a bit).

Wasn't Revere that lead off guy that looked pretty good ?

Wasn't Revere that lead off guy that looked pretty good ?

Yes, Revere was the lead off guy. However, he has his limitations (no power, streaky, and no arm in the outfield). It's not the end of the world if he comes back but for what his projected salary will be (in the $7 M range), he could be expendable to free up more money for pitching.

Yes, Revere was the lead off guy. However, he has his limitations (no power, streaky, and no arm in the outfield). It's not the end of the world if he comes back but for what his projected salary will be (in the $7 M range), he could be expendable to free up more money for pitching.

Power isn't essential for a lead off hitter. Streaky and no arm yeah. I wouldn't downplay the importance of having a good lead off hitter to the Jays. Even though I like Happ, who is an innings muncher, which will be much needed with Buerhle gone, !2M per is a little rich for my blood. Look for the jays to be looking for a poormans Happ--- fifth starters who can be moved back and forth into bullpen in a pinch. Looks like no new money.

Look for the jays to be looking for a poormans Happ--- fifth starters who can be moved back and forth into bullpen in a pinch.

I think they acquired that already with Chavez. If they think Hutchison can rebound, Chavez becomes the long reliever/spot starter (that will still start double digit games when injuries arise).

I think they acquired that already with Chavez. If they think Hutchison can rebound, Chavez becomes the long reliever/spot starter (that will still start double digit games when injuries arise).

Yeah you may be right. I think they would like to fill the roster with that type. That gives them flexibility on the cheap.

David Price to Boston, 7 years, $217 million. Surprisingly, there's an opt-out after 3 years.

at 0,98$/second, the opt-out is not that suprising... ;)

31000000$ per year

84931$ per day (based on 365 days per year)

3539$ per hour

59$ per minute

0,98$ per second