Official MLB Discussion Thread

Quebecois

Nickeas is just some insurance to have another catcher that can catch Dickey. He was of no use to the Mets. As you have stated and Zaun on sportsnet, you want to keep Arencibia away from the knuckballer. Breaking a catcher in on a knuckballer is a good recipe for winding up on the DL.

Villanova went to the Cubbies. AA is the process of filling Buffalo at least with some marginal talent, whom he can draw from when there are injuries. AA has our 40 man roster full with players some of which will never make it through wavers. I would be inclined to cash some in for prospects rather than just losing them on wavers. Even though we have some pitchers that will not be healthy till mid season or latter, we do have some pitchers that their significance has been pushed back because of our aquistions. Also in regards to the 25 man on the roster, I wouldn't be surprised if they carried 13 pitchers.

Villanova went to the Cubbies. AA is the process of filling Buffalo at least with some marginal talent, whom he can draw from when there are injuries. AA has our 40 man roster full with players some of which will never make it through wavers. I would be inclined to cash some in for prospects rather than just losing them on wavers. Even though we have some pitchers that will not be healthy till mid season or latter, we do have some pitchers that their significance has been pushed back because of our aquistions. Also in regards to the 25 man on the roster, I wouldn't be surprised if they carried 13 pitchers.

Although there are 23 pitchers on the 40-man roster, there isn't that much of a logjam when you think about it.

60 day DL-bound: Perez, Hutchison, Drabek, McGowan

May retire: Oliver

To be optioned: Jenkins, Loup, Storey, Crawford, Dyson

Now we're at 13 and who knows about Santos' health. If he's not ready to start the year, they've got their 12 arms right there. I hope they wouldn't carry the extra arm this season. The depth in the rotation is better, there should be lots more quality starts so the bullpen shouldn't be logging as many innings. Jeffress would be the odd man out if it came to that and he had no takers after being DFA'ed earlier in the offseason (otherwise he would've been dealt elsewhere for a player instead of to Toronto for cash). I don't think they need to worry about possibly losing players of value on waivers, at least not with the bullpen as it currently sits.

Fair enough, I had for some reason only 3 guys going to DL so I had Cecil as the 13th guy. Many of the teams are still trying to fill rosters so it is hard to slip anybody by if they have any value. I would like to see AA try to open a spot up so when something good comes along he has room for him. I trust AA will still try to strenghten the bullpen.

Fair enough, I had for some reason only 3 guys going to DL so I had Cecil as the 13th guy. Many of the teams are still trying to fill rosters so it is hard to slip anybody by if they have any value. I would like to see AA try to open a spot up so when something good comes along he has room for him. I trust AA will still try to strenghten the bullpen.

McGowan probably will be healthy in April but it appears the plan is to have him go through extended Spring Training which means he'll likely hit the 60-day DL. I doubt Cecil would be the odd man out unless Oliver's coming back. It'd be nice to have 2 lefties in the pen, Happ is one and if Oliver retires, Cecil will need to be the second.

As for McGowan, I think they still have bad thoughts of Carpenter slipping away to St.Louis. I had Perez ahead of Cecil as the other lefty, but I see he is a mid season return? I personally think Oliver will have a hard time refusing with all the names they brought in. i could see packaging Cecil with Lind or somebody else and upgrading pitching or DH/fielding relief.

As for McGowan, I think they still have bad thoughts of Carpenter slipping away to St.Louis. I had Perez ahead of Cecil as the other lefty, but I see he is a mid season return? I personally think Oliver will have a hard time refusing with all the names they brought in. i could see packaging Cecil with Lind or somebody else and upgrading pitching or DH/fielding relief.

There has to be reason he hasn't been DFA'ed yet, I suspect you might be on to something with the Carpenter note. Considering he hasn't pitched in seemingly ages, I don't think anyone's going to claim him (and his guaranteed $1.5 M per year for 2 years) off waivers. All of the 60-day DL guys I listed are expected to return, Perez I believe is out of options and would play with the Jays. By then, someone will be hurt I'm sure. Drabek/Hutchison could both benefit from stints with AAA Buffalo when they're healthy.

As for packaging Cecil with Lind, I can't see anyone wanting to trade anything for Lind. It wasn't all that long ago that any team could have had him for free off waivers and there were no takers then. At this point, Cecil's value is probably down to a AA prospect unless there is a team that thinks he can still start and if he's packaged with Lind, the value is likely less. I think Lind will be part of a DH platoon with a righty that isn't on the roster yet but that player won't be anything special - just good enough to leave Davis as a regular bench option.

Yeah, I can't disagree with much you have said. As you say the 25th guy won't be much. The problem being if you are looking for bat then you will lose out on glove and vice versa, if they had both they would be is somebodies line up. I not so sure that that person needs to bat right. The majority of pitchers are righties, which would put Lind at Dh and leave only the new catcher as a true lefty.You probably don't want to use your back up catcher as a bat off the bench to often so that leaves Bonificio as your only left hand hitter. On the right side you would have Davis, Bonificio and the other R/hander? Secondly if it were me even though I prefer the Dh especially on the left side to have more power; given the bats in the new line up, I would prefer Cooper's consistency to Linds power. It would be my hope that AA goes for the jugular and modifies the last couple spots, both in relief and on the field.

Sometime when we were off line, the Jays picked up Canzler which would appear to me to be their heir apparent 25th man. I noticed watching some of the other teams that some of the players had seemed to passed through waivers and been assigned to their AAA affilitiate in a couple of days. What I am wondering if we are out of the 10 day window for claiming on waivers, and if so,when would Storey be ready to be assigned to Buffalo?

Sometime when we were off line, the Jays picked up Canzler which would appear to me to be their air apparent 25th man. I noticed watching some of the other teams that some of the players had seemed to passed through waivers and been assigned to their AAA affilitiate in a couple of days. What I am wondering if we are out of the 10 day window for claiming on waivers, and if so,when would Storey be ready to be assigned to Buffalo?

The 10-day window for DFA'ed players exists year-round. I believe that if no other team places a claim for the player (and the team that DFA'ed him has no roster room), he can be outrighted to AAA with the players' consent. It would appear that Storey wasn't claimed by any other team and accepted being outrighted, he already is property of Buffalo now.

Cleveland signed Nick Swisher yesterday, something I didn't expect to see them do. At $14 million per year (plus losing a draft pick), that's a steep price to pay for a team that I don't think is in contention even after picking him up.

What I am understanding is that the ten day window is really for the benifit of the player. If a team actually wanted a certian player, they need to get their ducks in a row and make a claim within the first couple of days or risk losing him?

What I am understanding is that the ten day window is really for the benifit of the player. If a team actually wanted a certian player, they need to get their ducks in a row and make a claim within the first couple of days or risk losing him?

The 10-day window is for the benefit of the team, actually. At the end of the 10 days, the team has to decide whether to trade or release the player (or give him up on waivers).

Here are the basics for the 10-day window: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_for_assignment

There is a rumour out there that Tim Raines will become part of Blue jay staff, coaching stealing among other things. At this point it is still a rumour, but it does make alot of sense.

Yep, this has been confirmed now. Raines will coach outfielders and baserunning. Pretty savvy hire if you ask me! http://blogs.thescore.com/djf/2012/12/31/nerd-boners-up-tim-raines-joins-blue-jays-staff/

Shame about losing Canzler, I actually had some hope that he could be a good DH/1B platoon partner with Lind.

They still have to send him down, so we haven't lost him yet. It is still early, so I still am hoping for someone better than him. I think he could fit on the Jays 25 man roster.

Oliver has apparently asked for a trade to Texas or more money from Toronto. I really don't know the Texas team at all, but a nice prospect or two coming back wouldn't hurt my feelings. However watching AA in recent weeks, I wouldn't be surprised if he parlayed this into something bigger. Can i chant " in AA we trust".

I hate this move by Oliver. He signed a contract so he should honour it. If he had played poorly last year would he have agreed to come back at a reduced salary?

He has no one to blame but himself (or his agent) for signing a "below value" contract. He should be a man of his word and play.

I hope AA sticks it to him and makes him either play out his contract or retire.

I hate this move by Oliver. He signed a contract so he should honour it. If he had played poorly last year would he have agreed to come back at a reduced salary?

He has no one to blame but himself (or his agent) for signing a "below value" contract. He should be a man of his word and play.

I hope AA sticks it to him and makes him either play out his contract or retire.

"He signed a contract so he should honour it" is really redundant in the sports world. I actually don't have any problem with a guy at the end of his career to say you know what I want to play closer to home. Fortunely AA has some leverage. I see AA honouring that request and trying to trade him to Texas. I would agree that if AA doesn't get enough you let him retire.

"He signed a contract so he should honour it" is really redundant in the sports world. I actually don't have any problem with a guy at the end of his career to say you know what I want to play closer to home. Fortunely AA has some leverage. I see AA honouring that request and trying to trade him to Texas. I would agree that if AA doesn't get enough you let him retire.

I don't think anyone has a problem with that - frankly I think most were expecting him to say he wouldn't mind going back to Texas. Reportedly demanding a pay raise to stay where you are is something I take issue with. It was Oliver who wanted the front-loaded deal (he earned $4 M last year) and now he supposedly wants to re-negotiate since the market value for FA relievers is higher now than it was last year. The report suggests Oliver would want closer to market value to stay with Toronto - given the cost of guys like Mike Adams and Jeremy Affeldt, that could be in the $5.5-$6 million range which is insane.

If the Jays can get fair value (I wonder if there's a rule against trading a player you just signed from free agency - if not, hello again Frasor?) or at least close to reasonable value, send him to Texas. Given what the Rangers have added to their bullpen, I'm not sure there's an opening for him there but who knows. If not, let him retire and pocket a bit of savings since Toronto is apparently over budget as it is.

Oh, and the Russ Canzler saga continues as he was claimed by the Yankees. This means the Jays could have re-claimed him (they're higher up in priority) but chose not to. They instead re-claimed Chad Beck off waivers from Pittsburgh.