Official MLB Discussion Thread

Quebecois

On 2017-03-09 at 9:57 PM, dlbalr said:

Maybe it's because so many of Canada's top players declined to play but I have way less interest in the WBC this year.  To no one's surprise, Canada got shelled in the opener, 9-2 to the Dominicans.

And the highlight of Canada's tournament was them not losing via the mercy rule in any of their games.  Assuming they can requalify for the next one (if there is a next one), some work needs to be done on getting the better (healthy) players to commit.  Otherwise, they'll start to be like Canada Basketball who has the talent to compete but only a handful show up each time.

6 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

It's not even on a major channel in the states, so I've been completely oblivious to it it even happening, other than hearing about players not being in camp.

MLB Network doesn't get major carriage in the US either?  I'd like for it to be available (especially at the draft) but most carriers up here don't even offer it.

21 hours ago, dlbalr said:

MLB Network doesn't get major carriage in the US either?  I'd like for it to be available (especially at the draft) but most carriers up here don't even offer it.

I think it is pretty similar to NHL Network. Generally only available on the major companies and even then, mostly on higher tier packages.

• 4 months later...

I thought the Jays may take a step back this year but this is getting ugly in a hurry.  The worst part is that their rentals seem to be taking turns one-upping each other in terms of their struggles.  Guys like Bautista and Estrada just a few months ago would have been perceived as strong targets for contenders but now it's starting to look like they'll have to eat a bunch of money to get a lower-tier prospect in return. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
16 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Congrats to longtime Expos OF Vladimir Guerrero who has been inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. 

One of my favorite players of all time with Larry Walker.

Maybe my favorite, period.

• 6 months later...

Can I get a crash course about waivers in MLB ?

I read an article saying that Bryce Harper was picked on waivers and that the Nationals didn't proceed with trading him to the Dodgers.  It also says that Daniel Murphy was also picked on waivers.

I don't get it at all.  HEEEELP !!!!

There are two trade deadlines in MLB.  The non-waiver trade deadline is July 31st and anyone can be dealt until then.  After that time, players on the 40-man roster must go through waivers before they can be dealt.  If they go through unclaimed, they can be dealt anywhere.  If someone claims a player, they get a 48-hour window to work out a trade.  If they can't reach a deal, the team then can pull the player back or let him go for free (with the claiming team assuming all of the salary). 

The second trade deadline is the end of August which is for playoff eligibility (although deals can still be made in September...and there are usually a few).  Players can be run through trade waivers beginning in August and I believe can go on them at any point between then and the end of the year.  Teams can only pull each player back from waivers once; they can't try again a week later and hope for a different result.

Washington today actually showed the different options available.  They opted to let Matt Adams go to St. Louis on waivers for simply salary relief, they paid some of Daniel Murphy's salary to get a prospect back from the Cubs via a trade, and pulled back Harper as expected which means he won't be dealt.

Teams at this time often claim players for the sole purpose to block a rival from getting him.  In Harper's case, he was probably on waivers just to see if a team would get desperate; it doesn't make sense to move him for a minimal return as they'll surely qualify him in the offseason to give themselves a draft pick if he walks.  Almost every player in MLB has either been on waivers or will be over the next week leading up to the second deadline.  99% of the time, nothing comes from it.

16 hours ago, dlbalr said:

There are two trade deadlines in MLB.  The non-waiver trade deadline is July 31st and anyone can be dealt until then.  After that time, players on the 40-man roster must go through waivers before they can be dealt.  If they go through unclaimed, they can be dealt anywhere.  If someone claims a player, they get a 48-hour window to work out a trade.  If they can't reach a deal, the team then can pull the player back or let him go for free (with the claiming team assuming all of the salary). 

The second trade deadline is the end of August which is for playoff eligibility (although deals can still be made in September...and there are usually a few).  Players can be run through trade waivers beginning in August and I believe can go on them at any point between then and the end of the year.  Teams can only pull each player back from waivers once; they can't try again a week later and hope for a different result.

Washington today actually showed the different options available.  They opted to let Matt Adams go to St. Louis on waivers for simply salary relief, they paid some of Daniel Murphy's salary to get a prospect back from the Cubs via a trade, and pulled back Harper as expected which means he won't be dealt.

Teams at this time often claim players for the sole purpose to block a rival from getting him.  In Harper's case, he was probably on waivers just to see if a team would get desperate; it doesn't make sense to move him for a minimal return as they'll surely qualify him in the offseason to give themselves a draft pick if he walks.  Almost every player in MLB has either been on waivers or will be over the next week leading up to the second deadline.  99% of the time, nothing comes from it.

If I understand your last sentence,  it means that the players are not automatically on waivers and that teams don't HAVE to put all their players on waivers  but most of the teams will do it anyway just to see what the market is for each of their players.  Right ?

51 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

If I understand your last sentence,  it means that the players are not automatically on waivers and that teams don't HAVE to put all their players on waivers  but most of the teams will do it anyway just to see what the market is for each of their players.  Right ?

Bingo.  Waivers aren't mandatory but teams will typically run most players through just to see who bites as it can often lead to trade talks in the winter.

This is a good read on how the whole process works: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/08/how-august-trades-work-4.html

• 3 months later...
On 8/21/2018 at 4:31 PM, dlbalr said:

START 2018 Baseball-- Blue Jays going nowhere fast- reduced payroll- waiting patiently for bargain basement sales to shore up pitching-- reminds me a lot of the Indians who would be competive  once or twice every fourteen or sixteen years or so.--  I blame  Ted Roger's lackey

• 1 year later...
On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 7:06 PM, dlbalr said:

Larry Walker gets in the Hall of Fame in his final year of eligibility. :clap:

My favorite player when I was very Young.   My mom says that it was so because he wore 33, just like Patrick Roy.

• 1 year later...
21 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Well...that was quite the finish to the season.  Too bad the Nationals couldn't hold a lead, the tiebreak game would have been fun.

Definitely added some excitement. Was hoping for a four way tie as we were coming down to the end of the season. Hopefully the Jays can build off of this year and be back in the race next season.