Official MLB Discussion Thread

Quebecois

The reported new logo of the soon-to-be Miami Marlins (since Loria decided in his wonderful wisdom that a name change to go along with his straight up robbery of a new stadium was a smart idea):

2012MiamiMarlinslogo_medium.jpg

My first thought? Could they pack any more colours in there? I'm not a big fan of their logo as it is now but I think they managed to get worse here if this is indeed what they're going with.

The reported new logo of the soon-to-be Miami Marlins (since Loria decided in his wonderful wisdom that a name change to go along with his straight up robbery of a new stadium was a smart idea):

2012MiamiMarlinslogo_medium.jpg

My first thought? Could they pack any more colours in there? I'm not a big fan of their logo as it is now but I think they managed to get worse here if this is indeed what they're going with.

It looks like the album cover of Pink Floyd's The Wall.

• 3 weeks later...

And down go the Yankees with Sabathia giving up the winning run in relief. That was just a weirdly managed bullpen from the get go by Girardi. Yeah, Nova gave up a couple solo shots but to yank him after two innings was just really odd.

That was a strange ending for sure. Howard grounds out and when I see the second baseman jogging before calmly flipping it, I'm nearly yelling, "How can he not run it out?!?" Then I see him writhing in pain and getting nearly carried off the field while the Cards are celebrating. That's not something you see every day.

So it's the Cards vs the Bud-ers (oops, I mean Brewers) and the Tigers vs the Rangers. Not a lot of big name teams left which means I'll probably be more interested in the playoffs than I usually am.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/10/12/red_sox_unity_dedication_dissolved_during_epic_late_season_collapse/?page=1

Boston’s three elite starters went soft, their pitching as anemic as their work ethic. The indifference of Beckett, Lester, and Lackey in a time of crisis can be seen in what team sources say became their habit of drinking beer, eating fast-food fried chicken, and playing video games in the clubhouse during games while their teammates tried to salvage a once-promising season.

+ some other stories. Ouch.

My favourite is the NESN season preview article for the Red Sox. I love to laugh at homertastic NESN buffoons. Whoever wrote this must be the baseball equivalent of Jack Edwards.

http://www.nesn.com/2011/01/2011-red-sox-will-challenge-1927-yankees-for-title-of-greatest-team-in-major-league-history.html

I know hockey sort of overtook are discussion about tanking in baseball. I got a great kick out of the blow-up with Reyes. I thought this was a team sport. The Mets nowhere to be seen and in game 162, Reyes takes himself out of line up. So what? Oh this is an issue for the stats-boys. Unfortunely, and I have seen it in other decisions in the sporting world; stats become more important than the game itself.

The sad thing is, doing so probably made him a few more million in free agency too. It's really good for marketing when you can say you signed a batting champion.

Playoff wise, it's elimination games for the rest of the LCS. Detroit needs to win two straight in Texas while the Brew Crew head home needing to win both their games.

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly what you are saying is the logic I am trying to get past. You can't make the comparison about tanking in the NHL to tanking in MLB at the end of season. Tanking is a buzz word that takes on a bad aroma but the effects would be quite different in the two sports. I site the length of schedule, the number of draft rounds,the number of teams in the playoffs as contributing factors that make a difference. I also think that bring in fresh people in Sept may in some cases be a boone .

I do not follow baseball at all. I do not get it, doesn't appeal to me.

But, starting an all rookie team that gets butchered by everyone is a sure way to... well... not have fans in the stands no?

There may be a team in MLB that is even a bigger joke than the Marlins. Baltimore has long been known for meddling ownership and it appears that may have cost them a new GM. Toronto's assistant was all ready to leave, met with the owner today before immediately declining a contract offer. This after their constant futile attempt to sign has been free agents and destruction of a farm system. Loria has some competition for lousiest owner, it seems.

CC Sabathia threatens to opt out of his contract with the Yankees, they give him a 1 year, $30 million extension. Wish I could pull that kind of scam.

There may be a team in MLB that is even a bigger joke than the Marlins. Baltimore has long been known for meddling ownership and it appears that may have cost them a new GM. Toronto's assistant was all ready to leave, met with the owner today before immediately declining a contract offer. This after their constant futile attempt to sign has been free agents and destruction of a farm system. Loria has some competition for lousiest owner, it seems.

CC Sabathia threatens to opt out of his contract with the Yankees, they give him a 1 year, $30 million extension. Wish I could pull that kind of scam.

Speaking about the Yankees, who is going to burst the dam called free agency? My money is on the Yankees who will not be rejected from the top pitching free agent two years in a row.

Speaking about the Yankees, who is going to burst the dam called free agency? My money is on the Yankees who will not be rejected from the top pitching free agent two years in a row.

In some respect, they already ensured they got the top pitcher when they ponied up to keep Sabathia who was set to become a free agent. I look at the starter's market and it's pretty weak - Wilson and Buehrle are good #3's (maybe 2's) but there's no bonafide top guy in my opinion. Heck, I think the best pitcher available may very well be the Japanese guy, Darvish. It's not a great year for free agents overall; now I'm reading that teams are lining up for a Cuban defector, Yoennis Cespedes and that he is one of the better position players available despite never playing in the league.

In other news, the Twins fired their GM today and replaced him with...their old GM. What's old is new again in sports, it seems.

In some respect, they already ensured they got the top pitcher when they ponied up to keep Sabathia who was set to become a free agent. I look at the starter's market and it's pretty weak - Wilson and Buehrle are good #3's (maybe 2's) but there's no bonafide top guy in my opinion. Heck, I think the best pitcher available may very well be the Japanese guy, Darvish. It's not a great year for free agents overall; now I'm reading that teams are lining up for a Cuban defector, Yoennis Cespedes and that he is one of the better position players available despite never playing in the league.

In other news, the Twins fired their GM today and replaced him with...their old GM. What's old is new again in sports, it seems.

The best free agents might be the big three DH's. Don't be surprised if the Yankees take both Buehrle and Wilson off the boards just because they can.

The Jays officially unveiled their new logo/uniforms today:

jays_new_look_640.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of more or less going entirely retro but the logo doesn't look bad...it's better than Miami's, that's for sure. I like the home/blue jerseys but the grey one leaves something to be desired.