Official MLB Discussion Thread

Quebecois

I think they will try to sign Beck to a minor league contract and clear a roster space. Don't be surprised if Canzler gets tired of being jerked around and signs somewhere to a minor league deal.

I'm sure they'll try to outright him off the roster like they did with Brummett/Carreno/McCoy/Storey and tried to do with numerous others. As for Canzler, as long as he keeps getting claimed, he can't opt out of his contract and sign a minor league deal. Three claims isn't even the highest for an individual player this offseason (I can think of a couple at 4, maybe even one guy getting picked up 5 times).

I'm sure they'll try to outright him off the roster like they did with Brummett/Carreno/McCoy/Storey and tried to do with numerous others. As for Canzler, as long as he keeps getting claimed, he can't opt out of his contract and sign a minor league deal. Three claims isn't even the highest for an individual player this offseason (I can think of a couple at 4, maybe even one guy getting picked up 5 times).

I guess i just don't understand this exercise. I guess he is bounced around to fill somebodys roster space so you can slip somebody through that you really want or maybe its to see who garners interest in him? I didn't realise that he had a major league contract.

I guess i just don't understand this exercise. I guess he is bounced around to fill somebodys roster space so you can slip somebody through that you really want or maybe its to see who garners interest in him? I didn't realise that he had a major league contract.

If you're on the 40-man roster, you're on a major league deal. Most teams are up against the 40-man roster limit; any time they sign a free agent they have to clear a spot. The odd time you see a trade made to free up that spot but most of the time players get DFA'ed. A few teams this offseason (including Toronto and the Yankees) have been using the last few spots to try and a) improve their depth at the back end of the roster (especially those with minor league options left) and b) acquire players who subsequently can re-clear waivers and can be outrighted to AAA. (That second category doesn't happen a whole lot.)

The Jays lost Beck early in the offseason and had an open spot to get him back on the 40-man. He has minor league options left if he's still on the 40-man come Spring Training so that likely explains why they re-claimed him. But if the opportunity arises to pick up another player that the Jays like more, he could very well be DFA'ed again.

Here's a good read on the options/outright situation for the Jays, it also explains some of the rules: http://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2013/1/2/3827160/options-options-options-and-outrights

The Jays lost Beck early in the offseason and had an open spot to get him back on the 40-man. He has minor league options left if he's still on the 40-man come Spring Training so that likely explains why they re-claimed him. But if the opportunity arises to pick up another player that the Jays like more, he could very well be DFA'ed again.

That didn't take long, he was DFA'ed today to make room for another pitcher, Tommy Hottovy.

Adam LaRoche re-signed with Washington. Boston was believed to be talking to him since Mike Napoli still hasn't officially signed, someone happened in the physical that they're working through.

• 4 weeks later...

Felix Hernandez gets a 7 year, $175M extension with Seattle. I don't know what I'm more surprised at, the fact he got that big of a deal or the fact it wasn't a New York or Los Angeles based team giving him the contract.

Also, here's a look at some of the more better moves (trades and signings) around the league this offseason: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/the-10-best-transactions-of-the-off-season/

• 1 month later...

If the Blue Jays are to keep their best players by report, what I have seen, Happ becomes the fifth starter and Romero is traded or shipped to the bullpen. That been said, the bullpen is busting at the seams. I think AA should move a guy or two there rather than losing them to wavers. This would be a good way to stock up on good prospects since the system has been purged in trades.

If the Blue Jays are to keep their best players by report, what I have seen, Happ becomes the fifth starter and Romero is traded or shipped to the bullpen. That been said, the bullpen is busting at the seams. I think AA should move a guy or two there rather than losing them to wavers. This would be a good way to stock up on good prospects since the system has been purged in trades.

I think they'll try to trade the guys on the outs but it bears keeping in mind that an awful lot of teams will be trying to do the same thing. If they do move a guy, the return will probably be underwhelming...although if the alternative is lose him on waivers, little is better than nothing. I'd be surprised if dealing a guy like Jeffress yields a good prospect when anyone could have had him for free a few months ago.

As for the #5 battle, Romero has minor league options left. I'd prefer they send him to the minors than the bullpen (and if he loses a rotation spot, no one will want to trade for him). That said, unless Romero completely blows up in the next couple of weeks, he'll make the opening day roster and Happ will be farmed out temporarily (there will be injuries so he'll be up anyways) via the rare usage of 'optional waivers.'

I am going out on limb here, Jeffress makes the team.

I think he might, especially with Janssen possibly starting on the DL. That said, those are the types of guys that are on the bubble (him and Cecil in particular), players that won't fetch good returns.

Just a little what I got in AA interview yesterday. Likes Jeffress alot. Jansen and Santos both should be ready for start of season. Mcgown will likely start on the disabled list--- haven't discerned whether he is starter or reliever-- what they do know is that be has the best stuff in the organization bar no one. Carpenter deja vue?

Just a little what I got in AA interview yesterday. Likes Jeffress alot. Jansen and Santos both should be ready for start of season. Mcgown will likely start on the disabled list--- haven't discerned whether he is starter or reliever-- what they do know is that be has the best stuff in the organization bar no one. Carpenter deja vue?

That would be the perfect scenario for the Jays since Carpenter actually was healthy for a few years (now he's out for the season, likely his career). At this point, I'd be content with him being healthy enough to be the long man out of the bullpen. $1.5 M for that role isn't great but it's not terrible either.

There will be movement, sure, but it will be the sure minor leaguers (guys like Zawadski, Negrich, etc) that get cut. The pitchers vying for that last bullpen spot won't go anywhere until closer to Opening Day.

Can't say I disagree with you at all . Coach suggested in a interview yesterday that as many as two pitchers would be gone from the organization completely, so it was my hope that they would get something for them. Although many teams will be trying to do the same thing, I am not sure many teams have the calibre of arms that the Jays boast. The second thing is that if you have somebody targetted from the Jays, you could miss out completely if he ends up on the waiver wire. Therfore Ii would conclude the Jays have a little leverage. Also meantioned yesterday was that Jeffress hit 101 on the radar gun. Impressive- but his issue has been consistency in the past. Coach also said he has improved this year.

Listened to game today. Bush and Jeffress were brutal giving up circa 12 runs. The sad thing was, that in a post game interview, Jeffress come across like he didn't pitch that bad. Wow! What world is he from? It appears to me that Cecil wins that last spot in the bullpen.

Listened to game today. Bush and Jeffress were brutal giving up circa 12 runs. The sad thing was, that in a post game interview, Jeffress come across like he didn't pitch that bad. Wow! What world is he from? It appears to me that Cecil wins that last spot in the bullpen.

The team announced this morning that Lawrie will start the year on the DL and they will likely carry 8 relievers to start the season. I think this means that both Jeffress and Cecil will make the team initially. The team seems hesitant to risk losing Jeffress on waivers. He's got all the physical tools to be a solid big league RP but he just needs to get the mental side together.

I watched the game...at least until it got to 14 runs allowed, then I gave up. Bush was bad, Jeffress was up and down. His first inning (in relief of Bush) was very strong, his second not so much. He really was running out of gas (velocity was down about 8 MPH on the heater) which didn't help his cause, nor did a strong wind. We've learned he can't be the long reliever, that's for sure.

It's hard to find a list of what relievers are left in camp (Lincoln was sent down today), here's who I think is still around:

Janssen

Santos

Oliver

Delabar

Rogers

Loup

Cecil

Jeffress

Schwimer

Moscoso

McGowan

Storey (not sure about him)

As Noah noted, they'll be carrying an 8-man bullpen to start the year. There's 12 on that list and it's easy to get rid of Storey (not on the 40 man, was outrighted in the offseason), McGowan (DL), Moscoso (will be DFA'ed to try to sneak to AAA), and Schwimer (has options left). The only wrinkle bullpen wise is whether Happ will break camp as the long reliever/Romero handcuff or whether he'll be stretched out in AAA. If yes, then someone will have to go (Loup has options but apparently has a spot locked up). If not, Cecil and Jeffress get to continue their battle for a few days into the season.

In other news, Vernon Wells is about to become a New York Yankee. The Angels will eat somewhere in the neighbourhood of $28-30 million over the next two years to get rid of him. By comparison, the Jays only sent $5 million in the original trade. Ouch.

I have read this morning, that they are still not happy with their reliever situation as well as second base. Just for the record we preempted the Romero situation before all hell broke loose. I think it would be suicide to bring Romero along if he don't get it together. Loyality doesn't trump lack of success in "a what have you done for me lately" world. AA knows that despite what he has done in the off season, the fans can and will turn in a hurry if it doesn't go well.

I have read this morning, that they are still not happy with their reliever situation as well as second base. Just for the record we preempted the Romero situation before all hell broke loose. I think it would be suicide to bring Romero along if he don't get it together. Loyality doesn't trump lack of success in "a what have you done for me lately" world. AA knows that despite what he has done in the off season, the fans can and will turn in a hurry if it doesn't go well.

I think the best way to save face here is to invent an injury for Romero after tomorrow's start. That way they can DL him, keep him in Dunedin to work on his tweaked mechanics, and then send him on a conditioning stint for up to a month (probably what will happen with McGowan who is healthy too). That would bump the timeline into May and provide the team with some more information on whether these mechanical changes will accomplish anything. If so, then he can be brought back to the big club; if not, you option him to AAA and don't feel as bad about doing so.

Houston beat Texas in the season opener last night. I certainly didn't see that one coming. Most teams have Opening Day today, the Blue Jays though have to wait for tomorrow (which is great, I don't have to worry about flipping back and forth with the Hab game).

For any Blue Jay fans looking for depth charts of who's in the system, here are the opening day affiliates: http://www.battersbox.ca/article.php?story=20130401103340160 I think not only does the AAA rotation contend for oldest in AAA, I think it might possibly be one of the oldest in baseball, period.

I think AA has to make a decision on Jeffress today. i don't think he has been put on waivers yet. Listening to various outlets, it has been suggested that AA is pursuing options for Reyes replacement in the "low-rent" area. We all know that in this area if you want more offense, you will be losing glove. Given the infield errors already, it makes more to shore up the defense as iterated by Jack Morris during last nights ballgame. Seems to me Kawaski is a perfect fit. I would let him have a run before I got too eager to replace him.