Official MLB Discussion Thread

Quebecois

I think AA has to make a decision on Jeffress today. i don't think he has been put on waivers yet. Listening to various outlets, it has been suggested that AA is pursuing options for Reyes replacement in the "low-rent" area. We all know that in this area if you want more offense, you will be losing glove. Given the infield errors already, it makes more to shore up the defense as iterated by Jack Morris during last nights ballgame. Seems to me Kawaski is a perfect fit. I would let him have a run before I got too eager to replace him.

He'll likely hit the waiver wire today. I'd have to think that if there was trade interest, a deal would have been done by now. Kawasaki isn't a bad option to have as a 25th man on the roster, a defensive replacement in late game situations, but I don't think he's anything more than a short-term patch guy at the moment. In fact, when Lawrie's ready to come back, I figure he'll be sent back to the minors.

Talk is playing Lawrie at 2B (he's trying the position in his rehab stint).... Bautista at 3B..... Izturis at SS.... and Davis/Bonifacio platoon in RF.

I like the first three parts of that but Davis/Bonifacio in RF scares the living daylights out of me. Bonifacio has a noodle arm, he can't play a corner. If they're going to go that way, I wouldn't mind Casper Wells getting a bit of time in that platoon.

BlueKross, are you doing something different when you're replying? That's a couple of times now where you're replying to something but there is no message.

Also, looks like I may be wrong with my Kawasaki prediction - Wells got DFA'ed today for an extra bullpen arm and that's who will be sent down when Lawrie comes back. That means Kawasaki will stick around for a bit...barring further roster moves of course.

Yeah Dlbair, I seem to be having time out issues on this damn dial-up system. I have tried to correct those posts but just get into more trouble. Hopefully you can delete them from your end. If you could read the invisible ink, I would say that your disposition of Kawaski was illogical from my thinking and the issue with Lawrie at second, will be his range and not his glove. By the way, Lawrie has been activated, but all this second base talk might be moot if Bautista's back spasms don't clear up.

Yeah Dlbair, I seem to be having time out issues on this damn dial-up system. I have tried to correct those posts but just get into more trouble. Hopefully you can delete them from your end. If you could read the invisible ink, I would say that your disposition of Kawaski was illogical from my thinking and the issue with Lawrie at second, will be his range and not his glove. By the way, Lawrie has been activated, but all this second base talk might be moot if Bautista's back spasms don't clear up.

I deleted the blank posts. It looks like the Lawrie at 2nd experiment may be over already, he'll likely be playing 3rd and Bautista will go back to RF. That frees up the spot for Kawasaki (who is playing well for sure but I expect him to regress to last years' ability at the plate where he struggled to hit the ball out of the infield) to stick around until a better solution can be found.

Thanx Dlbair/ Anyway I would suggest to you that the Lawrie/Baustisa situation has nothing to do with Kawaski. The biggest concern replacing a shortstop is his ability to field the position. It is obvious that there is no one on the roster or in the system that holds a candle to Kawaski in that regard. Despite what you may think of his batting prowlness, he is going nowhere unless they find a better fielding SS.

Thanx Dlbair/ Anyway I would suggest to you that the Lawrie/Baustisa situation has nothing to do with Kawaski. The biggest concern replacing a shortstop is his ability to field the position. It is obvious that there is no one on the roster or in the system that holds a candle to Kawaski in that regard. Despite what you may think of his batting prowlness, he is going nowhere unless they find a better fielding SS.

Sure it has an impact. If Lawrie were to play 2nd and Bautista 3rd, that would move Izturis into the starting SS role. If that were to be the case, there wouldn't be much room for Kawasaki (Bonifacio would be the backup in a pinch). With Lawrie at 3rd and Bautista in right, Izturis is the starting 2B and there's a regular spot for Kawasaki.

I think they'd be willing to make a trade off to a degree if they could find someone that could hit a little better. Instead of a .200 hitter with Gold Glove-ish defence, get a .230 guy with average D. Those players should become available in a month or so once teams get a better read on their AAA guys and how ready they might be.

I'm reading an article about some of the SS options out there and noted the following line that backs up my point on his hitting:

While Kawasaki has already started endearing himself to Toronto fans, this is a player who posted a .459 OPS in 61 games with the Seattle Mariners last year. In other words, he hit better than your average pitcher, but not by much.

On a contending team in the AL, I don't think the ideal plan is to have a hitter who has two career extra base hits (one of those was last night) that can barely out-OPS a pitcher in the lineup regularly for the next 10-12 weeks. If Kawasaki can hit better than he did last year, even get to that .230 level I mentioned above, then he's a good stop gap but if he returns to last years' form, I think they'll have to try and look elsewhere. For now though, here's hoping he keeps up his strong play.

Then we disagree. As I stated before, in the price range they are looking, if you have a better offensive stat the trade off is a worse defense stat. If I am the Blue Jays, I bank the defense and take what I can get in offense at that position. There are eight other guys to worry about offense, before you worry about the SS. As for Izturis, I don't even trust him at second. Second however is a position, where you (might) think about trading defense for offense. What I've seen so far, I would suggest that when Reyes comes back, they got to be thinking about keeping Kawaski and shipping somebody else out.

• 3 weeks later...

I have no confidence in Gibbons. I was good with his selection as long as he didn't shackle speed. I have seen no evidence that he has any clue how to use his speed. Just a waste. Bring in a good National League manager.

I have no confidence in Gibbons. I was good with his selection as long as he didn't shackle speed. I have seen no evidence that he has any clue how to use his speed. Just a waste. Bring in a good National League manager.

Speed only works when you get on base. As we're quickly discovering, this team seems afraid to actually get on base (too many players are home run or bust). Bonifacio is one of the fastest players in the league but has an on-base percentage hovering around his weight; it's hard to steal when he can't get on. Aside from last night they're getting better at accepting that singles are okay. If that continues, the speed factor should come into play.

Gee I got an idea, why don't we use our speed to get on base? That idea we have to get on base to use speed is an American league blatter-empty presumption. I still see the entire lineup swing for the fences. Bunt the damn ball.

Gee I got an idea, why don't we use our speed to get on base? That idea we have to get on base to use speed is an American league blatter-empty presumption. I still see the entire lineup swing for the fences. Bunt the damn ball.

That would be nice too...heck, just find a way to get on period. Some of the players are at least not thinking home run all the time like they were early on, hopefully that can continue.

Apparently they have sent McGowan to Dunedin. We all pray that we can get something out of him. If he can get by his health issues, I wonder if the Jays desperation might force him into starter role? They could use that two/ three starters stategy they used last year to stretch him out.

Apparently they have sent McGowan to Dunedin. We all pray that we can get something out of him. If he can get by his health issues, I wonder if the Jays desperation might force him into starter role? They could use that two/ three starters stategy they used last year to stretch him out.

They're going to stretch him out as a starter I think, they need depth in the rotation. The max length of the rehab assignment is 30 days. The next starter on the recall list is a AA guy who is just coming back from injury and isn't on the 40-man roster.

Edit: I was sure I had read McGowan would be stretched out but all of his stints have been 1 inning (he's up to AAA now) which means they'd use him in relief. That's probably not a bad idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of the draft, that starts tomorrow and can be seen at 7 PM on Sportsnet One.

In other news, it appears a boatload of suspensions could be forthcoming in the next couple of weeks to any players linked to the Biogenesis clinic. Alex Rodriguez and Ryan Braun are the two likely names at this point; Melky Cabrera I believe also had connections (but since he already served a suspension for this, he may escape penalty or at least face a lesser one). http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9301536/major-league-baseball-suspend-20-players-including-alex-rodriguez-ryan-braun-part-miami-investigation

Hey I got another idea, Mr. Gibbons move Bautista out of number 2 hole until he starts to heat up again. He is killing you. Five or six would take pressure off him and the rest of team. Maybe even sit him.

Hey I got another idea, Mr. Gibbons move Bautista out of number 2 hole until he starts to heat up again. He is killing you. Five or six would take pressure off him and the rest of team. Maybe even sit him.

He was due to regress after his hot streak. He's not a .300 hitter, closer to a .240 one. He has gone right back to his over-pull fly ball tendencies; when he was on a role he wasn't against hitting the ball the other way through the hole (since he always gets the dramatic shift).

I don't mind them keeping a more defined lineup, this one seems to be working at least reasonably well (despite four starters at the moment hitting under .220). Who would you move into the #2 spot in place of Bautista? My pick would be Lind as he's seeing the ball well and getting on base at an impressive clip but I'm not sure I'd want to move him from the cleanup role right now.

He was due to regress after his hot streak. He's not a .300 hitter, closer to a .240 one. He has gone right back to his over-pull fly ball tendencies; when he was on a role he wasn't against hitting the ball the other way through the hole (since he always gets the dramatic shift).

I don't mind them keeping a more defined lineup, this one seems to be working at least reasonably well (despite four starters at the moment hitting under .220). Who would you move into the #2 spot in place of Bautista? My pick would be Lind as he's seeing the ball well and getting on base at an impressive clip but I'm not sure I'd want to move him from the cleanup role right now.

We are in complete agreement here, both with whats ailing Joey Bats and who might replace him. The only other guy that comes to mind is Rasmus. Like your concern for moving Lind, I would be similarly hesitant to move Rasmus because they are in such a good spot now. Davis but you can't get him in line up with both Lind and Encarnation raking.You will soon have to make choice if Batista doesn't shape up.