Hello, I'm an Apple.

Colin

This summer I'm preparing to upgrade my technology and I was thinking this was as good a time as any to jump over to Apple and finally get stuff that works regularly. Or, does it? Hopefully there's some Mac addicts on here who can tell me what to look for and what to avoid.

Alternately, if there's compelling reason to stay PC, then please let me know.

What I do know is that I'm fed up with operating systems that work like Lada cars and mismatched hardware that takes a lot of grease, too much TLC, and far too many whacks with a hammer to get working together. I went down the Dell route and, while it was the best computer I'd ever had, it was still not the greatest. I believe there must be something better out there.

I'm looking specifically at an iMac, though a MacBook would also be something I'd look at. The MacBook air is also interesting to me, particularly when I travel - since it's really nice to have something ultra-light and compact but still full-functioning with me.

I was really disappointed a few years back when I got this PC. Not because of what it is, which is fine enough, but rather because Mac came out with Intel chips a mere two or three months later. I would have gone that route in a minute had I known. The ability to run Windblows software was the clinching point.

What I need to know now is whether Apple is still a great buy and which computers are the ones to look at.

This summer I'm preparing to upgrade my technology and I was thinking this was as good a time as any to jump over to Apple and finally get stuff that works regularly. Or, does it? Hopefully there's some Mac addicts on here who can tell me what to look for and what to avoid.

Alternately, if there's compelling reason to stay PC, then please let me know.

What I do know is that I'm fed up with operating systems that work like Lada cars and mismatched hardware that takes a lot of grease, too much TLC, and far too many whacks with a hammer to get working together. I went down the Dell route and, while it was the best computer I'd ever had, it was still not the greatest. I believe there must be something better out there.

I'm looking specifically at an iMac, though a MacBook would also be something I'd look at. The MacBook air is also interesting to me, particularly when I travel - since it's really nice to have something ultra-light and compact but still full-functioning with me.

I was really disappointed a few years back when I got this PC. Not because of what it is, which is fine enough, but rather because Mac came out with Intel chips a mere two or three months later. I would have gone that route in a minute had I known. The ability to run Windblows software was the clinching point.

What I need to know now is whether Apple is still a great buy and which computers are the ones to look at.

If you can afford it, go ahead.

going to Mac nowadays is really like their ads advertise. (the dull guy vs the cool guy)

I mean, your thread / post is about the same as if you'd say to me :

I'm getting a new car.

Should I go with Mercedes

or should I go Hyunday, Kia, Chevrolet... :P

My acer laptop is doing the job. I hate it, I want to throw it at the wall. but it's doing the job. I can go on the internet and I can use word.

My brother's Macbook pro does everything for him except for his laundry.

I was once going to switch to the mac but the price of a new mac compared to a new pc is outrageous.

exactly.

but if you can afford it? you don't even hesitate.

but if you can afford it? you don't even hesitate.

I don't think so - it still depends on which software you want to use, in which section you want to work. I for myself don't see any reason to switch to a much more expensive Apple, it doesn't have that many (if any) pros.

I don't think so - it still depends on which software you want to use, in which section you want to work. I for myself don't see any reason to switch to a much more expensive Apple, it doesn't have that many (if any) pros.

I agree, the Macs have always been more about aesthetics then overall performance IMO.

I agree, the Macs have always been more about aesthetics then overall performance IMO.

if you mean user friendly, easy to master (of course when you get one one, the first time you freak out... it's like getting in a car in england!! but then, you realize you're in a Jaguar or a Range Rover), then yeah, you're right, it's all about aesthetics.

no noisy dusty fans either.

if you mean user friendly, easy to master (of course when you get one one, the first time you freak out... it's like getting in a car in england!! but then, you realize you're in a Jaguar or a Range Rover), then yeah, you're right, it's all about aesthetics.

no noisy dusty fans either.

No, I mean aesthetics. It's a fancy word for style.

Meaning Macs are all style and no substance. They're for hipsters. Trend-setters.

and for people who like quality over noisy cheap stuff?

Apples aren't quality. At all.

They're for people who pretend to understand computers

A PC that I build myself is going to be able to do a lot more for me then a Mac you can't customize at all.

Apples aren't quality. At all.

They're for people who pretend to understand computers

A PC that I build myself is going to be able to do a lot more for me then a Mac you can't customize at all.

I'm a little surprised at you, honestly. Of all the people on the boards, I would have expected you to be a little more open to a Mac than you have been. I've been building computers (and very well, I might add until this last one) for ... well too long. No age cracks. LOL Of the ones I've built, I've had little to no problems, though - important - getting components to work together can be a big chore, and you surely can't argue that point.

I disagree completely when you say Mac's aren't quality. My brother-in-law owns three and loves them infinitely more than any PC - and his job is computers. Sure, an Apple is less customizable, but I think, in the end, unless you're looking for something ultra-specific, you end up with relatively close to the same capabilities.

Are Mac's expensive? Yes, but that point in arguable. It comes with so much more. Countless comparison's have been done on the net showing that a PC needs you to buy extra things to get it to the same level as a Mac, and by then you're spending approximately the same. And then you get a thousand cables, a giant mess, and worst of all: Windows. Yes, yes, you can set up Linux which is all well and good, but then you're talking a whole other level of learning and funcionality.

And finally, Jets, and perhaps MOST importantly, for someone interested in the writing field? The Mac is where the business is. I'm looking square at you with that comment.

Anyhow. I was hoping for more contructive commentary on Mac's and not just that "they suck." Streamer seems to be the only one who sees anything good about the brand on here, though I was sure at one point there were more than a couple of Mac users. Hell, if one was so inclined, they can install Windows on the Mac. If one was so inclined.

Well, maybe I can put off buying a new computer until Windows 7 comes out. I'm sure Microsoft will make things *so* much better then. They have a track record for continual improvement, dontcha know. :lol:

I'm a little surprised at you, honestly. Of all the people on the boards, I would have expected you to be a little more open to a Mac than you have been. I've been building computers (and very well, I might add until this last one) for ... well too long. No age cracks. LOL Of the ones I've built, I've had little to no problems, though - important - getting components to work together can be a big chore, and you surely can't argue that point.

I disagree completely when you say Mac's aren't quality. My brother-in-law owns three and loves them infinitely more than any PC - and his job is computers. Sure, an Apple is less customizable, but I think, in the end, unless you're looking for something ultra-specific, you end up with relatively close to the same capabilities.

Are Mac's expensive? Yes, but that point in arguable. It comes with so much more. Countless comparison's have been done on the net showing that a PC needs you to buy extra things to get it to the same level as a Mac, and by then you're spending approximately the same. And then you get a thousand cables, a giant mess, and worst of all: Windows. Yes, yes, you can set up Linux which is all well and good, but then you're talking a whole other level of learning and funcionality.

And finally, Jets, and perhaps MOST importantly, for someone interested in the writing field? The Mac is where the business is. I'm looking square at you with that comment.

Anyhow. I was hoping for more contructive commentary on Mac's and not just that "they suck." Streamer seems to be the only one who sees anything good about the brand on here, though I was sure at one point there were more than a couple of Mac users. Hell, if one was so inclined, they can install Windows on the Mac. If one was so inclined.

Well, maybe I can put off buying a new computer until Windows 7 comes out. I'm sure Microsoft will make things *so* much better then. They have a track record for continual improvement, dontcha know. :lol:

one thing is Jets is a gamer, you can't expect him to cheer for mac.

the reason why I'm so high on them is that my bro, a solid gamer who's always built his cpus now owns a PS3 and a Mac and... has only seldom used his PC since then. he's got a pricey macbook prob and can do his university Tv production projects on his laptops as well as if he was in the production room with the hightech cpus and all.

of course, if you wanna play WoW, or if you just wanna type something down on Word, it might not be the adequate cpu.

Nope, used Macs all throughout junior high and high school plus my sister has a MacBook that I use all the time. Can't stand them, they're almost too simplified for me. For a guy like my dad, they're probably better to use but I have a long and trecherous history using Macs. It's not even an Apple bias (unlike your M$ one ;)) because I've got an iPod and iPhone and all that stuff.

I'd do just fine on a Vaio. If you want actual points, PCA did a nice list a while ago. Not all of them are great mind you but some of the points raised are good ones.

And I absolutely love Vista.

What's wrong with that? Macs still come with a one button mouse.

Heh heh. BZZZZZZ. Thank you for playing. What parting gifts do we have? Nothing? But he has to give us Bobby Ryan? There you have it folks!

The "one button" mouse is actually a four button mouse. It just LOOKS like one button. ;)

Heh heh. BZZZZZZ. Thank you for playing. What parting gifts do we have? Nothing? But he has to give us Bobby Ryan? There you have it folks!

The "one button" mouse is actually a four button mouse. It just LOOKS like one button. ;)

Then why does it only do one thing?

Then why does it only do one thing?

Apple's revolutionary laptop with no keyboard

Edited by JoeLassister

The Mac vs. PC war is so childish, I'm not going to tell you what I think you guys act like. Good grief. Grow up already. :P

What do you guys mean by building your computers?

It means taking every components of a computer and building one custom. WAY cheaper than buying an alreaydy made, one, but you have to know your thing.

It means:

I want this ACER motherboard with this NVidia graphics card, this power supply in this case, I only need the 666 speed ram, but I want a terabyte HD, onboard sound is all I need unless I can get a Creative 5.1 for less than X dollars, etc, ad infinitum almost.

You pick and choose exactly which components you want on your system then either put it together or have someone do it for you. THEN you have to get the appropriate drivers and hope there's no conflicts (some hardware devices don't like others at all), try to configure it all into Windows which may or may not be an easy task (and 99% of the time you have to reboot at each addition - YAY) ........

...and then watch as something goes wrong. :P

It's fine for the person who really knows what they're doing and does the research; in fact it's an excellent way to get exactly what you want on a system. I used to do it all the time and had great success because I didn't leave anything to chance. Still, there's always issues doing a computer this way and you inevitably bang your head against the wall for something.

In the end, though, you either use Windows or you learn Linux (not that hard, but another learning curve) and by the time you have your computer up and running the way you want it, someone with an Apple has already completed more tasks than you'll ever complete before components in your system are out of date. :lol:

Again, pros and cons both way. The uber-geeks who fight for Apple and the mega-geeks who are proponents of the PC are just fighting two sides of the same coin. After all, they're all geeks anyhow. :D It's the small things that will make a difference with someone who really understands computers - a connoisseur, if you will. Not the snobby kind, either, just someone who's done his or her research and knows exactly what they need and what will fill that bill nicely.

Sometimes the PC is the better direction, sometimes it's the Apple. Depends on what you want and how you want it. I really do NOT want to put together another computer. I've done it plenty and I dislike the process. That's not to say I won't again in the future, but now?

I haven't made any firm decision. I've actually had a few very helpful private PM's which have been more beneficial than this thread. And conversations on YIM - one of which led to a much more interesting conversation about Star Trek and Star Wars. :D

Edited by Colin

Sometimes I feel Mac users are like Vegans. The label them put on themselves seems more important than food in their plate. That's what the whole ad campain "I'm a Mac" is all about.

Not only that, but then they blabber on and on about how their brand is so much better, and next thing you know all the time they say they've saved by not screwing around with a PC, they've wasted it flapping their gums about how much cooler their goddamn Mac is.