Who should coach the Habs next season?

Habs coach!  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who should coach the habs next season? / Who's the most likely to coach the Habs next season?

• Jacques Lemaire
    • Bob Hartley
    • Patrick Roy
    • Bob Gainey
    • Denis Savard
    • Guy Carbonneau
    • Pat Laviolette
    • Marc Crawford
    • Pierre Maguire
    • Don Lever
    • Larry Robinson
    • Rick Bowness
    • André Savard
    • Ted Nolan
    • Craig MacTavish
    • Doug Jarvis
    • Pat Quinn
    • Michel Therrien
    • Other (name him)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They need to go out and get the best damn hockey coach available, and I really dont' care if he speaks english, french, both....or neither english nor french ie Viktor Tikhonov, Kent Forsberg, or Arno Del Curto. Just get someone who's gonna get the team to perform in a manner that equates to success in the NHL.

Edited by sbhatt

Peter laviolette -I really don't fEe that he can't speak French!!

To bAd the hawks picked up joel quinevile - he has done an amazing job with a very young team.

I don't know what my problem is, but here are my choices for a possible poll, if anyone wants to make one. Most (not all) of these have head coaching experience at the NHL level.

Bob Gainey

Bob Hartley

Jacques Lemaire

Patrick Roy

Denis Savard

Peter Laviolette

Marc Crawford

Pierre Macguire :lol:

Don Lever

Mario Tremblay

Larry Robinson

Rick Bowness

André Savard

Ted Nolan

Craig MacTavish

Doug Jarvis (how come no one ever mentions him?)

Pat Quinn

Michel Therrien

Other

Not all of these are realistic, of course, Most of the unilingual anglos can be scratched IMHO. But it would be interesting to have a conversation over who is the *best* choice and who is the *likeliest* choice, because (sigh) the two are not interchangeable in the bizarro world of Montreal hockey. :wacko:

You know something? Assuming Lemaire is unwilling, Rick Bowness might be a dark horse candidate. He has a long c.v. (admittedly mostly with bad teams - but that might mean he's good with challenging situations) and a track record in developing young players. He coached in Ottawa so he has a clue about bilingual environments. Don't know if he speaks French- being from Moncton and pals with Alain Vigneault, I bet he does; and - a bit like André Savard - he looks underemployed at present if you ask me: http://canucks.nhl.com/team/app/?service=p...ge&bcid=613

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Reggie Dunlop. He'd bring back ' Old Time Hockey' R.I.P Paul Newman

From that list. Bob Hartley might be alright. Hes won a Stanley Cup. But then again, he had that abortion in Atlanta.

Pat Quinn would be a good choice. Atleast he doesn't play a trapping game. But he also has an aversion to playing young players. And doesn't speak French.

Reggie Dunlop. He'd bring back ' Old Time Hockey' R.I.P Paul Newman

From that list. Bob Hartley might be alright. Hes won a Stanley Cup. But then again, he had that abortion in Atlanta.

Pat Quinn would be a good choice. Atleast he doesn't play a trapping game. But he also has an aversion to playing young players. And doesn't speak French.

Love Quinn and his cigars. A good coach and a presence that will command respect from Kovy on down. He's shown with the World Juniors that he can manage young players (whether he will choose to do so given the option is another question). But he's just too big a personality to be able to get away with being unilingual in Montreal. I think it will be Hartley, because he combines a respectable c.v. with the love and affection of the media. This will give us a decent coach AND give Gainey some breathing room from that pack of hyenas. But I still kinda like the dark horse idea - Bowness. ;)

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

They need to go out and get the best damn hockey coach available, and I really dont' care if he speaks english, french, both....or neither english nor french ie Viktor Tikhonov, Kent Forsberg, or Arno Del Curto. Just get someone who's gonna get the team to perform in a manner that equates to success in the NHL.

+1

That is all I want.

I think the coaching choice will be made once Gainey establishes what kind of team we are icing next season.

I can't believe Mario Tremblay is on that list. After the damage he did to this franchise, he should be permanently banished from the organization...I wouldn't even let him step into the Bell Centre if he bought a ticket!!!

Edited by sbhatt

I can't believe Mario Tremblay is on that list. After the damage he did to this franchise, he should be permanently banished from the organization...I wouldn't even let him step into the Bell Centre if he bought a ticket!!!

:clap: ditto for Réjean Houle and Ronald Corey.

I picked Lemaire. Wasnt he the coach of the devils in the late 90s? When they won the cup 1995 I mean. I think he might be able to teach these D-men how to play a little better in their own end.