Who should coach the Habs next season?

Habs coach!  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who should coach the habs next season? / Who's the most likely to coach the Habs next season?

• Jacques Lemaire
    • Bob Hartley
    • Patrick Roy
    • Bob Gainey
    • Denis Savard
    • Guy Carbonneau
    • Pat Laviolette
    • Marc Crawford
    • Pierre Maguire
    • Don Lever
    • Larry Robinson
    • Rick Bowness
    • André Savard
    • Ted Nolan
    • Craig MacTavish
    • Doug Jarvis
    • Pat Quinn
    • Michel Therrien
    • Other (name him)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had my choice, it would be Lamaire or Robinson, neither of them is likely though. I expect it will be Hartley, he covers all the bases including the language. Lever wouldn't be bad either, but I suspect they'll want someone with experience after hiring so many rookie coaches in a row.

If I had my choice, it would be Lamaire or Robinson, neither of them is likely though. I expect it will be Hartley, he covers all the bases including the language. Lever wouldn't be bad either, but I suspect they'll want someone with experience after hiring so many rookie coaches in a row.

If Hartley (or antoher one, but of that long list, I believe ONLY Hartley will be considered) is not signed before "decision time"... I'm expecting it's because they are lurking other team's staff...

e.g. Quenneville, Martin, Vigneault

whatever.

I don't care. With the ridiculous limitations put on the hiring pool I am essentially

crossing my fingers and hope they don't screw up.

It is amazing to me that English speakers can coach in Russia, Italy, France

with no issue, but not in the city of Montreal! He must be accessible to the media!

Hire a translator! Nobody does that.

If people want to play the language card, then don't complain about the coach.

It's hard enough to win the Stanley Cup when it is an equal playing field, but let's

put one arms behind our back and try to do it. There are probably 500 professional

coaches and the Habs have to choose between Bob Hartley, Marc Crawford or a rookie

from the QMJHL? Ridiculous.

And I have heard the argument, so spare me the condescension about what I don't know

as a non Quebequer and how I am unimportant to the Canadiens brass.

I don't care. With the ridiculous limitations put on the hiring pool I am essentially

with no issue, but not in the city of Montreal! He must be accessible to the media!

It's hard enough to win the Stanley Cup when it is an equal playing field, but let's

put one arms behind our back and try to do it. There are probably 500 professional

coaches and the Habs have to choose between Bob Hartley, Marc Crawford or a rookie

And I have heard the argument, so spare me the condescension about what I don't know

I second that motion! :clap:

Edited by Helmethead

Well, I'm from Montreal - albeit living in exile in Vancouver - and I totally agree. On this logic, Scotty Bowman and Toe Blake would not be 'qualified' to coach here. And incidentally, without those coaches - or unilingual anglos Selke and Pollock in the GM's chair - it is highly unlikely we would have won those 5 Cups in a row in the 50s or those 4-in-a-row in the 70s. 'nuff said.

(It amazes me that no one in the French media stops to reflect on this. Their attitude that 'no anglos need apply', had it been implemented in the past, would probably have deprived the Canadiens of several of their Cups, and diminished the legacy of which French Quebecers are so proud. Sheesh!!).

But those are the facts of life as we find them. The consolation is that if you look at the French-speakers on that list, there *are* quality coaches there. Start with Lemaire, who to me would be an absolute no-brainer as the #1 candidate if only he were interested. Robinson won't apply for the job, but he'd be an appealing choice. Bob Hartley has won a Cup and enjoyed substantial success with the Avs; he also *arguably* did a mostly good job in Atlanta given what he had to work with, steering them toward a winning record after he took over a team in shambles in 2003, keeping them close to .500 without Heatly and Dan Snyder in 2004, and getting them about as far as you could have expected them to get (notwithstanding the GM's ridiculopus fantasies) in 2006-07. He is probably as credible as any other candidate on that list except Lemaire. That's why I think he'll get the job, and we'll be able to breathe a sigh of relief that the ridiculous idea that the Canadiens' coaching job is an affirmative action program for francophones has not cost us in this particular instance.

It would be a tactically good hiring, too, because this franchise is doomed unless Gainey is able to maneouver without feeling the heat from the media and fans. A popular French coach with pals in the French media will definitely buy us some time, and allow the reality of the situation - which is that the team is much stronger than it showed this season - to sink in, take the heat off, and allow Gainey to do what is best for the organization instead of what the fans/media imbeciles want.

(Incidentally, here is another point I don't hear much. Back in the 1970s, anglos on the Habs, including Gainey, Robinson, and Dryden, made an honest effort to learn French. This in turn helped to make it possible for someone like Gainey to come back here and contribute to the organization years later as a GM/coach. Why is it that non-francophone Habs no longer seem to feel any obligation to learn the language? What happened there? It's not good, because - given the ridiculous requirement that a Habs GM/coach MUST speak French - it deprives us of the possibility of a future passing-of-the-torch from player to management, for guys like Koivu or Higgins or Muller or whomever. Just a thought).

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

(Incidentally, here is another point I don't hear much. Back in the 1970s, anglos on the Habs, including Gainey, Robinson, and Dryden, made an honest effort to learn French. This in turn helped to make it possible for someone like Gainey to come back here and contribute to the organization years later as a GM/coach. Why is it that non-francophone Habs no longer seem to feel any obligation to learn the language? What happened there? It's not good, because - given the ridiculous requirement that a Habs GM/coach MUST speak French - it deprives us of the possibility of a future passing-of-the-torch from player to management, for guys like Koivu or Higgins or Muller or whomever. Just a thought).

Why don't they want to learn? For one, it's a pain in the ass to learn a language for some people...everybody has a different affinity for learning a new language, and for someone that struggles...they're going to ask themselves if it's ABSOLUTELY vital that they learn it. If the answer is NO, and that is the correct answer as one does not have to know french to live their life in Montreal, they're simply going to spare themselves the grief of trying to learn french. I speak from experience, as I really had to work at getting 'B' grades in french class...it did not come naturally to me at all, and one of the happiest days of my high school life was the day I finished my Grade 10 french exam and realized I'd never have to deal with it again. I'm no Koivu fan, but I have to admit I would have hugged him if I were in the room that day when he defended himself by saying "I already speak two languages...Finn and English". The insecurity of francophones gets tired really quick, and I for one am glad that the current generation of players is standing up for their right to not speak french if they don't want to. It should be a choice, not something forced upon you.

(ps....my inability to learn a new language is not exclusive to French...my mother and grandmother tried in vain to get me to speak Polish for many years...yet the only words I can retain are foods and curses)

Edited by sbhatt

Well, if Tom Kostopolous wants to be coach of the Habs one day, he definitely has a leg up on a lot of his non-Francophone teammates. :lol:

I don't pretend to get CC's manlove for Rick Bowness... might as well hire Craig Hartsburg if you ask me. If we're going to include unilingual candidates, I think Tom Renney has to be mentioned. He got a lot out of a very mixed dressing room and particularily Jagr... Sather screwed that situation up.

I don't know who should be coach. Part of me has not liked Hartley's tactics in the past, but I'd still accept him. Crawford... boy, I really don't want a guy who will recommend Dan Cloutier to mentor Carey Price.

Everyone thought when Jarvis was hired by Gainey for Hamilton that he was being groomed for the coaching gig. Now his name is not mentioned, and we're told by the team President he won't be considered, essentially. But I think he'll survive as an assistant. Muller may not.

Can a new guy work with the current staff, or will he insist on a full makeover of the coaching staff? That may weed out a couple of candidates, unless Gainey is gung ho about the guy's plan.

I think it will be an entire coaching staff turnover. The new coach probably won't keep Muller or Jarvis.

That's one of the under-discussed implications of the Carbo firing. Muller I can take or leave as a coach - unlike the rest of them, his c.v. is not that impressive and it's not you can point to him and say what awesome results he's brought - but Jarvis, like Carbo, has followed Gainey around (from Dallas to Montreal) and seems to be something of a sub-protegé. That firing could end up costing Gainey not one, but two, of the key members of his Inner Circle going back through Dallas all the way to his playing days. An astonishing by-product of one disastrous season.

Do think Jarvis's never being mentioned is just a result of his unilingualism? Or is there some other issue there? Maybe he doesn't want to be the head honcho?

Anyway, it seems a shame to lose him, although I suppose he could be bumped elsewhere in the organization. (So could Carbo, which would not altogether surprise me; he might be better in management than coaching anyway).

Finally: I have no man-love for Bowness :lol: I was just looking around for conceivably bilingual coaches with a track record, plus I'm very impressed with what Vigneault and his team have done in Vancouver. Dark horse, I said! Dark horse.

shbatt, I recognize that not everyone is gifted in linguistics. But you know, the Québécois tend to ask only for the effort. Bob's French when he returned from Dallas was horrendous, Robinson's has never been stellar, Dryden's was horrible, but they were all respected for the attempt. I think the *real* issue is player mobility - these days, guys don't see tend to themselves as part of the community like they did in the 1970s. And that's too bad. At the very least, the organization should offer them the option of French tutoring if they want it.

Because in those years, players were making reasonable money, salaries that kept them more in line with other professionals. So they were closer to the people and better integrated into society. So like any well-adjusted person, they tried to learn the language of the people surrounding them. Hell, in the 70's Lafleur just moved to Ile Bizard to be further from the frenzy of the city and he got blasted for it because it made him look too snob and elitist.

Not only that, but there was also a heavy contingent of french players on the team. Pick up the book "The Game" written by Ken Dryden and you'll see: everybody, anglos and francos, were swearing in french in the locker room. That's what brought these guys together.

Nowadays you've got multimillionaire who's fortune isolate them from the rest of society and they dont really relate, connect or even care to be part of the society that nurtures them. That's why a little self-absorbed punk like Carey Price mocks the crowd and then has the nerve to have an interview hiding himself under a baseball cap and basically tell people off a second time. You'd never have seen that from Dryden, Lafleur or Gainey himself.

Ken Dryden was booed and jeered by the Habs crowd too, 30 years ago. He said it himself: in Montreal fans like goalies at first and then quickly blame them for everything. He said when he was playing, the team in front of him was so good, the only thing the goalie (himself) could change was to make the team lose. But he never mocked the crowd or told the fans that he didnt care what they thought. That's called decency and respect for the average joes who pays your salary; two basic human qualities Price apparently lacks, like most of the other overpaid, privileged kids around the NHL.

So how can you even expect them to be pro-active and learn a new language when they can't even do the basic thing they are paid to do: act like pros, even when they screw up and the crowd let's them know. The boos come with the salary. Suck it up kiddo.

I think Lemaire will be coach. The fact that Gainey is staying after all this brou-ha-ha tells me he isn't put off by the media and fans. I think he had an off-the-record talk with Lemaire about how he's been dealing with those elements, and Lemaire will make the decision to come back to Montreal to try it again.

Fingers crossed.

If Hartley or Quinn become coach, I'm going to picket in front of the Bell Centre with Toronto and Bruins banners all over me. Hartley is *massively* overrated, and Quinn.... well I don't think I hate anyone more in hockey. Hasn't anyone else ever noticed that every single team he coaches becomes the whiniest teams around? What were the Leafs known for under Quinn? Bitching to the ref CONSTANTLY. STFU, you small-headed ass. Get some body proportions, shut your mouth, and know your role.

Darkhorse for me has to be Jaques Martin. When he gets fired, going back to coaching a strong defensive game will be just what the doc ordered.

I think Lemaire will be coach. The fact that Gainey is staying after all this brou-ha-ha tells me he isn't put off by the media and fans. I think he had an off-the-record talk with Lemaire about how he's been dealing with those elements, and Lemaire will make the decision to come back to Montreal to try it again.

Lemaire hated the media spotlight in Montreal... in the 80's! Unless he really has changed, I can't see him come back and deal with the medias now. Unless he comes back as a coach by proxy with some Jean Perron-like puppet front.

Because in those years, players were making reasonable money, salaries that kept them more in line with other professionals. So they were closer to the people and better integrated into society. So like any well-adjusted person, they tried to learn the language of the people surrounding them.

Not only that, but there was also a heavy contingent of french players on the team. Pick up the book "The Game" written by Ken Dryden and you'll see: everybody, anglos and francos, were swearing in french in the locker room. That's what brought these guys together.

Nowadays you've got multimillionaire who's fortune isolate them from the rest of society and they dont really relate, connect or even care to be part of the society that nurtures them. That's why a little self-absorbed punk like Carey Price mocks the crowd and then has the nerve to have an interview hiding himself under a baseball cap and basically tell people off a second time.

Ken Dryden was booed and jeered by the Habs crowd too, 30 years ago. He said it himself: in Montreal fans like goalies at first and then quickly blame them for everything. He said when he was playing, the team in front of him was so good, the only thing the goalie (himself) could change was to make the team lose. But he never mocked the crowd or told the fans that he didnt care what they thought. That's called decency and respect for the average joes who pays your salary; two basic human qualities Price apparently lacks, like most of the other overpaid, privileged kids around the NHL.

So how can you even expect them to be pro-active and learn a new language when they can't even do the basic thing they are paid to do: act like pros, even when they screw up and the crowd let's them know. The boos come with the salary. Suck it up kiddo.

How does society nurture them? They reflect society. How can you expect an athlete to behave like the ones in the 70s when the culture is NOTHING like the 70s? I don't know if you noticed, but 20 year olds don't have to be millionaires to have a sense of entitlement.

You sound like Red Fisher. This is not 30 years ago. If Guy Lafleur was around today, he would not have been drafted at 20, he would

have been drafted at 18, he then would have been fast tracked to the NHL and placed on a top line of a shitty team with no

support system and handed 4-5M per season. He wouldn't have been allowed to watch Henri Richard, Yvan Cournoyer and Frank Mahovlich

carry the load while he struggled to the age of 24-25. Even with this support system Lafleur was running around town doing whatever the hell

he wanted, cheating on his wife, drinking his face off and drunk driving home, all the while being insulated by a different type of media.

How many individuals on this board can say they would have been solid citizens at that age with millions burning a hole in their pocket in a city like Montreal coming off a season where they were worshipped like movie stars? Then how would you react if those who idolized you all of a

sudden turned on you the second things went wrong and wrongly appropriate blame for everything that went wrong? It is wonderful to compare Dryden's thoughts as a 30 year old who went to University in the states and was married with children to essentially a boy who has been allowed to run wild. When Dryden was booed he had the experiences of multiple Stanley Cups and a life defining moment like the 1971 series to lean upon.

Thanks for the romantic look at history and the over reaction to the spoiled punk known as Carey Price. Carey Price is a reflection

of today's athlete, so is Andrei Kostitsyn and his brother. The Habs failed them. Price and the Kostitsyn's are not arrogant punks,

they are regular 20 year old kids who have been handed a fortune and have not been mentored or properly prepared for the harsh

spotlight of Montreal.

Edited by Wamsley01

How does society nurture them? They reflect society. How can you expect an athlete to behave like the ones in the 70s when the culture is NOTHING like the 70s? I don't know if you noticed, but 20 year olds don't have to be millionaires to have a sense of entitlement.

You sound like Red Fisher. This is not 30 years ago. If Guy Lafleur was around today, he would not have been drafted at 20, he would

have been drafted at 18, he then would have been fast tracked to the NHL and placed on a top line of a shitty team with no

support system and handed 4-5M per season. He wouldn't have been allowed to watch Henri Richard, Yvan Cournoyer and Frank Mahovlich

carry the load while he struggled to the age of 24-25. Even with this support system Lafleur was running around town doing whatever the hell

he wanted, cheating on his wife, drinking his face off and drunk driving home, all the while being insulated by a different type of media.

How many individuals on this board can say they would have been solid citizens at that age with millions burning a hole in their pocket in a city like Montreal coming off a season where they were worshipped like movie stars? Then how would you react if those who idolized you all of a

sudden turned on you the second things went wrong and wrongly appropriate blame for everything that went wrong? It is wonderful to compare Dryden's thoughts as a 30 year old who went to University in the states and was married with children to essentially a boy who has been allowed to run wild. When Dryden was booed he had the experiences of multiple Stanley Cups and a life defining moment like the 1971 series to lean upon.

Thanks for the romantic look at history and the over reaction to the spoiled punk known as Carey Price. Carey Price is a reflection

of today's athlete, so is Andrei Kostitsyn and his brother. The Habs failed them. Price and the Kostitsyn's are not arrogant punks,

they are regular 20 year old kids who have been handed a fortune and have not been mentored or properly prepared for the harsh

spotlight of Montreal.

Jeebus Wammy, are you related to Price?

You made a whole bunch of valid points. Yes, culture is different. Yes, the system is different. But you're using it as some absolution of everything that went wrong with Price.

I just dont buy it.

Latendresse was fast-tracked at 19 yrs old. Granted, a skater isnt a goalie, but he had as much if not more eyes on him and people expected as much miracles out of him than they did out of Price in his first two seasons. Did you see Lats tell everybody off? Did you see him act spoiled? No. He took the criticism personally and doubled his efforts to improve. And his serious attitude and good work-ethic got nay-sayers off his back. So it's not true that Price's attitude is an inevitable by-product of today's society. He can, he could, be more serious, more mature, more professional. He has a choice. He has a perfect example just the same age as him right there in his face.

I do agree with you that Price is a kid let loose. I'm more mad at the organization for letting their alleged franchise player than I am at Price himself. But the point would be moot if Price wasnt immature to begin with. And the fact that not one player on the team seemed to have done anything to get a hold of the kid just confirms what I said all season long about the lack of leadership on the team.

Jeebus Wammy, are you related to Price?

You made a whole bunch of valid points. Yes, culture is different. Yes, the system is different. But you're using it as some absolution of everything that went wrong with Price.

I just dont buy it.

Latendresse was fast-tracked at 19 yrs old. Granted, a skater isnt a goalie, but he had as much if not more eyes on him and people expected as much miracles out of him than they did out of Price in his first two seasons. Did you see Lats tell everybody off? Did you see him act spoiled? No. He took the criticism personally and doubled his efforts to improve. So it's not true that Price's attitude is an inevitable by-product of today's society. He can, he could, be more serious, more mature, more professional. He has a choice.

I do agree with you that Price is a kid let loose. I'm more mad at the organization for letting their alleged franchise player than I am at Price himself. But the point would be moot if Price wasnt immature to begin with. And the fact that not one player on the team seemed to have done anything to get a hold of the kid just confirms what I said all season long about the lack of leadership on the team.

I know what your trying to say but using Lats is a bad example for two major reasons.

Lats is a native of Montreal/Quebec and knows that you don't shit where you eat sort of speak.

#2 Gui also had a baby last year with his fiance. It doesn't sound like much, but look what it did to Mikey Ribs... he grew up and matured really quickly. That's saying something considering he was a poster child for spoiled punks ;)

Edited by Habitforming

to me, the athletes' apathy to the local community isn't only a Montreal thing - it's the same everywhere. the difference is that because of language, their lack of interest/support to the local community is glaringly obvious.

players today don't play for their team's city. they either play for the paycheck or play for the thrill of competition or play for their place in history. they don't care one bit about their new 'home' town. and, unlike the 70s - they don't need to! as has been mentioned already, they have HUGE salaries and therefore can own a mansion & driver so they don't need to mingle with the locals PLUS, in this era of globalization, you can travel long distances easily and quickly, you can communicate with family via internet over long distances easily and quickly, you don't have to leave your home to get all you can possibly want or need.

Montreal fans will likely need to be the first in North America to embrace this trend because they will be the first to understand what is happening everywhere.

Fingers crossed.

If Hartley or Quinn become coach, I'm going to picket in front of the Bell Centre with Toronto and Bruins banners all over me. Hartley is *massively* overrated, and Quinn.... well I don't think I hate anyone more in hockey. Hasn't anyone else ever noticed that every single team he coaches becomes the whiniest teams around? What were the Leafs known for under Quinn? Bitching to the ref CONSTANTLY. STFU, you small-headed ass. Get some body proportions, shut your mouth, and know your role.

Darkhorse for me has to be Jaques Martin. When he gets fired, going back to coaching a strong defensive game will be just what the doc ordered.

Jacques Martin, interesting call. His track record of abysmal playoffs is not encouraging however.

To me, Lemaire is a no-brainer, and the only explanation for his not running away with this poll must be that people are (correctly) assuming he won't come here. I for one would LOVE to see him back there.

To be honest: I don't know. I just know what I want from this organization, and that's stability and clarity... essentially a mission statement about what is expected of the players and the team in general. I want there to be a "Montreal Canadiens Hockey" that makes it clearly obvious to all involved what should be done. If a player doesn't fit that vision, he's gone. When we draft a player, he knows what will be expected of him and what he needs to do in order to achieve a roster spot. I want it to be difficult to become a member of the Montreal Canadiens. I want veterans to lead this franchise, so that when it's obvious a guy isn't meeting the team's standards, he is called out and brought in line. I don't ever want to hear "I don't know what the coach wants or expects of me" again.

I've thought about this a lot. I realize that Carbo wasn't up to snuff on this type of vision. I don't know if that's Gainey's vision or not, but I hope it's something similar, and better thought out. I don't know who of these candidates listed meets that criteria. But we better find someone who thinks along these lines.

To be honest: I don't know. I just know what I want from this organization, and that's stability and clarity... essentially a mission statement about what is expected of the players and the team in general. I want there to be a "Montreal Canadiens Hockey" that makes it clearly obvious to all involved what should be done. If a player doesn't fit that vision, he's gone. When we draft a player, he knows what will be expected of him and what he needs to do in order to achieve a roster spot. I want it to be difficult to become a member of the Montreal Canadiens. I want veterans to lead this franchise, so that when it's obvious a guy isn't meeting the team's standards, he is called out and brought in line. I don't ever want to hear "I don't know what the coach wants or expects of me" again.

I've thought about this a lot. I realize that Carbo wasn't up to snuff on this type of vision. I don't know if that's Gainey's vision or not, but I hope it's something similar, and better thought out. I don't know who of these candidates listed meets that criteria. But we better find someone who thinks along these lines.

Beautifully put.

I was thinking about this and I sure hope Quebecor ends up buying the Habs.

Quebecor CONTROLS the media in Qc.

if that happens my friends, you migh tsee a BIG BIG change in all the clowns trying to cover the team, but just fueling an "anti-ufa" fire, burning since... since UFAs exist!!

Quebecor is like the CNN of Quebec. If CNN can bring Bush to presidency, Quebecor could turn the habs coverage upside down.

1st thing is :

there would be a Habs network (bye RDS)

there would be a Habs radio station (bye CKAC)

there would be Le Journal having the info well ahead of others..

you'd think it's a lateral move?

Nah.

you have to know that there are effects to synery.

no journalist working for the Quebecor empire would be allowed to say anything habs related, before the Habs would have filtered it.

Yah, no freedom of speech. that's true.

but what good is it to know that the kost bros are holding out with the Mafia... if after fact, the BIG NEWS is more disturbing than the fact itself.

anyways, I'm rambling a bit too much for a mere possibility. I however hope that I make enough sense so that you can see where I'm coming from and where I'm heading.

The mighty Roy adds his 2 cents:

"Myself, I think that Bob Hartley could do a real good job. He possesses a good track record, he's dedicated, an excellent teacher, and hockey is his passion. He's probably the person in my time, that I've come across who understands the game best."

"Hartley would be ideal for the Canadiens, but the dream candidate would be Jacques Lemaire."

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2009/4/3...roy-is-all-ears

A pretty strong endorsement. Of course, it could just mean that Hartley made sure to massage Roy's ego in Colorado. All the same, this helps relieve any niggling doubts about Hartley's competence.

I know what your trying to say but using Lats is a bad example for two major reasons.

Lats is a native of Montreal/Quebec and knows that you don't shit where you eat sort of speak.

#2 Gui also had a baby last year with his fiance. It doesn't sound like much, but look what it did to Mikey Ribs... he grew up and matured really quickly. That's saying something considering he was a poster child for spoiled punks ;)

Ribeiro is a bad example. He has 3 kids now and his older son is something like 9 years old...