Habs talking with Emelin - Perezhogin won't come over

The posted article features news that Julien Brisebois is talking with Emelin and Perezhogin. The KHL recently slashed salary by 50%. Perhaps Perezhogin may return or maybe we can trade his rights if he chooses to allow us. The bigger news is Emelin. Let's all hope he comes over.

Also features news on other prospects and players.

Mathias Brunet Cyberpresse article:

French Link

English Google Translation

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The posted article features news that Julien Brisebois is talking with Emelin and Perezhogin. The KHL recently slashed salary by 50%. Perhaps Perezhogin may return or maybe we can trade his rights if he chooses to allow us. The bigger news is Emelin. Let's all hope he comes over.

Also features news on other prospects and players.

Mathias Brunet Cyberpresse article:

French Link

English Google Translation

I liked Perezhogin OK - it would be interesting to see if he's hit another level and mutated into a definite top-6 forward. I myself was never convinced that he didn't have the talent, and was suspicious of Carbo's attempts to turn him into a checker. As for Emelin, we shouldn't be TOO excited given the adjustment challenges he'd face on coming over, but it sure would be nice to add him to our depth chart.

Hopeful news.

I still hope they are at least trying to convince Korneev to come over. There's no reason why we shouldn't at least give him a college try, kind of like the thought process was with Streit when he was brought over.

I wondered if they'd try and convince Perezhogin back. There was a bit of an issue with him and Carbo at the time, but I think it wasn't anything that couldn't be undone. Now, with Carbo out of the picture, there's no reason other than the potential money involved not to bring him back.

I also am not getting too excited about Emelin. He's a project type, and will probably need to accept some time in the AHL just to get adjusted to the style of game. He's obviously physically mature, and used to a high level of play, but he'll have to make adjustments. I think there are a lot of unreaslitic expectations on him... particuarliy from Pierre Maguire who thinks he's the next Markov despite the fact he has scored, what 3 goals in his entire RSL/KHL career?

Korneev was drafted 7 years ago, our rights to him are long gone.

Nope, we actually still hold his rights - because of the lack of a transfer agreement, NHL rights to Russian players sit in perpetuity at the moment. As it is, he'll be added to the WC StatTracker once his addition to the Russian roster is officially announced - I know he's been added, but there's no "proof" just yet.

I liked Perezhogin OK - it would be interesting to see if he's hit another level and mutated into a definite top-6 forward. I myself was never convinced that he didn't have the talent, and was suspicious of Carbo's attempts to turn him into a checker. As for Emelin, we shouldn't be TOO excited given the adjustment challenges he'd face on coming over, but it sure would be nice to add him to our depth chart.

Hopeful news.

He had great skills and is a forgotten man.

Gainey needs to start figuring out a way to package all these assets for upgrades before they

all become worthless.

Edited by Wamsley01

Korneev was drafted 7 years ago, our rights to him are long gone.

And if you don't take mine or dblar's word for it, here you go:

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app?service=...p;type=prospect

You'll notice not every unsigned draft pick is on there. Why would Korneev still be listed if we didn't retain his rights?

Gawd, I hope the Habs do not resign Perogi (Perezhogin). He is the only NHL player I have *ever* seen miss the net on a slapshot during a shootout. IMHO, during his last tour of duty with the Habs, he didn't care, didn't want to be there. Maybe that was due to the way he was being handled by the coach, but hockey players have to know that they have to *earn* the right for top line assignments. Very few players are just given that responsibility in their first NHL game. Ironically, I remember Perezhogin on the checking line in his last season, and thought he was very effective at times as a forechecker due to his speed. He often caused the opposition to cough up the puck because he was so quick and gave them little time to work with the puck.

I would not mind seeing Emelin signed to a Habs contract. He sounds like a Kasparitis (sp?) type of player, which you like to have on your team because everyone else hates to play against him.

And if you don't take mine or dblar's word for it, here you go:

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app?service=...p;type=prospect

You'll notice not every unsigned draft pick is on there. Why would Korneev still be listed if we didn't retain his rights?

In my defense, I didn't know the Habs site could be trusted. It's not exactly up to date in places. I mean, is there really a reason we still have a player page for Martti Jarventie?

In my defense, I didn't know the Habs site could be trusted. It's not exactly up to date in places. I mean, is there really a reason we still have a player page for Martti Jarventie?

You have to go really looking to find that. They simply haven't purged a number of pages from their directory entirely. Technically, I think Jarventie was considered Habs property until 2006 or something. I remember seeing him listed as a UFA on the Habs' list a few years back and being thrown off... I, too, thought he was long gone.

Do you think we'll see Emelin in North America next year? What's his status look like?

If he comes, what kind of player will he be? Would he be up with the big club (we could definitely use some young help on D). Would he accept a job in Hamilton?

Does anyone have any news or know when we'd find out about this? Or any info on Emelin in general.

Do you think we'll see Emelin in North America next year? What's his status look like?

If he comes, what kind of player will he be? Would he be up with the big club (we could definitely use some young help on D). Would he accept a job in Hamilton?

Does anyone have any news or know when we'd find out about this? Or any info on Emelin in general.

He is supposed to have been injured and was done for the season in Russia (can't remember if it was a concussion or something else). I think he signed a two year deal last year, but with the way the Russian contracts worked in the past, he could probably give notice and leave. I think you would have to sign him to a 1 way deal for him to come over.

Yemelin is currently a free agent... he has no contract for next year with any team in any league. His two year contract was signed two years ago... yes it has been that long already.

I wouldn't be surprised if he were signed and asked to go to Hamilton, even if it were a brief assignment. I think this might be part of the problem with signing him... getting him to accept AHL money for even a brief period of time.

Yemelin is currently a free agent... he has no contract for next year with any team in any league. His two year contract was signed two years ago... yes it has been that long already.

I wouldn't be surprised if he were signed and asked to go to Hamilton, even if it were a brief assignment. I think this might be part of the problem with signing him... getting him to accept AHL money for even a brief period of time.

If he's not willing to go to Hamilton to earn his way onto the team, then good riddance. We need guys whose goal it is to play the game at its highest level and to win the Stanley Cup. I have no desire for guys who are only in it for the money, fame, etc. This tends to be one of the knocks on European players, but there are certainly many who grew up dreaming of the Stanley Cup. Especially in this day and age where their country's best players have played in the NHL. I want players, no matter where they come from, who dream of the NHL and the Cup, not of money.

If he's not willing to go to Hamilton to earn his way onto the team, then good riddance. We need guys whose goal it is to play the game at its highest level and to win the Stanley Cup. I have no desire for guys who are only in it for the money, fame, etc. This tends to be one of the knocks on European players, but there are certainly many who grew up dreaming of the Stanley Cup. Especially in this day and age where their country's best players have played in the NHL. I want players, no matter where they come from, who dream of the NHL and the Cup, not of money.

what could ease the move for emelin is to have a fellow russian in hamilton should he'd have to go there for a while.

I'm sure it would've helped valentenko to stay a bit longer last year.

Didn't something similar happen when Streit came over? If I recall correctly, he wanted to have some kind of guarantee that he would play on the big club and not toil away in Hamilton, I believe Gainey had worked some kind of clause into his contract to address it, but stopped short of giving him that guarantee. Anyone remember the spefics?

I agree with this, but I can kind of sympathize with Europeans coming over. If you have the chance to play pro, you would wanna do it. So on one hand you can play in the minors in NA or pro in Europe. If they wanna come to play in the minors in hopes of reaching the NHL, good one them. If not, well I can understand that too.

Edited by ForumGhost

Didn't something similar happen when Streit came over? If I recall correctly, he wanted to have some kind of guarantee that he would play on the big club and not toil away in Hamilton, I believe Gainey had worked some kind of clause into his contract to address it, but stopped short of giving him that guarantee. Anyone remember the spefics?

Not 100% sure, but I think he got a 1-way deal on his first contract. I don't keep my cap files that far back to say for sure though. He got the guaranteed money, but not the guaranteed playing time - he certainly earned that before long though.

Not 100% sure, but I think he got a 1-way deal on his first contract. I don't keep my cap files that far back to say for sure though. He got the guaranteed money, but not the guaranteed playing time - he certainly earned that before long though.

Yeah, I remember Streit signing a one-way deal when he came over, like you said. So he could still be sent down but he'd continue to make his full NHL salary.

*pops open the Champagne bottle*

I'd rather have any of the AHL kids on the team over that Perezhogin

*holding my glass for some champagne*

+1

*holding my glass for some champagne*

+1

I have no idea, but considering that Perezhogin was just about the only Habs property at the World Championships to do anything at all (6 points in 9 games), I don't share this confidence. :angry:

I have no idea, but considering that Perezhogin was just about the only Habs property at the World Championships to do anything at all (6 points in 9 games), I don't share this confidence. :angry:

Or perhaps he's found his level? Like Plecanek, it seems.