Browsers Poll

KoZed

What internet browser are you using?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What internet browser are you using?

• Microsoft Internet Explorer
    • Mozilla Firefox
    • Opera
    • Google Chrome
    • Apple Safari
    • Mosaic Netscape
    • None of the above

I've been part of the Firefox grassroots movement when it came out 4+ years ago, but lately I grew increasingly tired of the memory leak issues and I've been looking at finding some other browser that is clean, light yet has good functionalities. Right now I'm jumping from FF to Opera to Chrome and I'm starting to settle on Chrome but there's many things missing and as I type this i'm installing Safari just to give that one a spin.

I was wondering who here is using what and how much have you tried other browsers?

Did this whole thing a few months back.

IE - don't use. Even if it was the best, I would not use it. Principle. (And when I do have to use it (school requires me) I hate it. Bloated, buggy and irritating. Just like anything else from that garbage company.

FF - It's fine, has some nice features, and is relatively quick. I probably use it most, but there are things I don't like - too many crashes, for instance.

Safari - On a Mac, lightening quick, and I mean lightening. Blink and you miss the page load. On my PC, a little slower, but still good. Not nearly as many features that I've discovered, but since it's not bloated, you see the difference in speed.

Opera - Love it. Unique for the longest time, has the quick dial (I have the add-on for FF, but I don't like it as much, though it does offer more pages) and is pretty damn quick.

Chrome - Almost as fast as Safari, though I haven't used the latest version. I liked it, but like Safari, it's a pretty stripped browser as far as I can tell.

I suppose I stick with FF right now because I'm used to it. Assuming I get a Mac in the coming months, though, I have no problem going to Safari and staying there.

Edited by Colin

I still use IE... I know, it's a sad sad truth.

+1

never seen any difference with other browser seriously.

What do you guys are you doing with your computer to notice a "better" browser ???

I type what I want to search, I click on search, and IE finds it. Awesome !

Did this whole thing a few months back.

IE - don't use. Even if it was the best, I would not use it. Principle. (And when I do have to use it (school requires me) I hate it. Bloated, buggy and irritating. Just like anything else from that garbage company.

FF - It's fine, has some nice features, and is relatively quick. I probably use it most, but there are things I don't like - too many crashes, for instance.

Safari - On a Mac, lightening quick, and I mean lightening. Blink and you miss the page load. On my PC, a little slower, but still good. Not nearly as many features that I've discovered, but since it's not bloated, you see the difference in speed.

Opera - Love it. Unique for the longest time, has the quick dial (I have the add-on for FF, but I don't like it as much, though it does offer more pages) and is pretty damn quick.

Chrome - Almost as fast as Safari, though I haven't used the latest version. I liked it, but like Safari, it's a pretty stripped browser as far as I can tell.

I suppose I stick with FF right now because I'm used to it. Assuming I get a Mac in the coming months, though, I have no problem going to Safari and staying there.

I guess we came to the same conclusions.

IE: Its garbage. I cant believe some people still use it. It's like a tricycle with training wheels: you shouldnt use it past your 3rd birthday.

FF: Fine, highly extendable, but memory usage is bad. If you multitask the way I do (12 apps at the same time), you just come to hate it.

Safari: Haven't used it yet. Eager too.

Opera: Just started using it. Love it too, it's sleak, very fast loading, but buggy on certain sites.

Chrome: The one I use the most lately. Very stripped down but very fast and very light on system resources.

It's the extensions that keep me with FF. Over the years I've added about 20 of them, tweaking the browser so much that I get agro when I try using someone else's box, creature of habit now, stuck on FF.

Memory leak is the biggest issue for sure with FF, but with session manager I can stop and restart FF to cut the CPU drain without losing the tabs. I only do this once every day or three, not a big enough hassle to change to a new browser.

Yeah, IE has improved since I stopped using it, but FireFox still keeps way ahead of it. The introduction of tabbed browsing was one of the greatest things ever. The search bar a great feature, being able to search Google, YouTube, IMDB, Amazon, Wiki, etc. from one box is fantastic. Along with the tabbed browsing, the adblocker is what convinced me to change, it's TONS better than anything I ever tried to block ads with on IE.

+1

never seen any difference with other browser seriously.

What do you guys are you doing with your computer to notice a "better" browser ???

I type what I want to search, I click on search, and IE finds it. Awesome !

Download them all then get a stopwatch and start them. See how long it takes each to be ready for your input. There's the first major difference.

Now, close it completely. Then re-start it. Should restart faster the second time. Second major difference. (IE does start faster the second time, but it nowhere close to the others.)

Go to a site that is known to feed viruses etc. Watch your computer die with IE because of all the backdoors, work-arounds and holes in the programming. Go with the other browsers and see less than half the problems.

Get any browser and type in what you want in the browser line and it gets what you want (and 98% of the time, faster than IE).

FF - built by users for users

Chrome - built by the company that knows the internet better than anyone else

Safari - built by a company that knows how to deliver a great computing experience

Opera - built by innovators LONG ago to be continually better than IE (success)

IE - built by a corporate conglomerate who pump things out regardless of how good they are because they're the first name in computing and therefore the average user will use their stuff just 'cause. Also the company that sends out unfinished software repeatedly.

Download them all then get a stopwatch and start them. See how long it takes each to be ready for your input. There's the first major difference.

Now, close it completely. Then re-start it. Should restart faster the second time. Second major difference. (IE does start faster the second time, but it nowhere close to the others.)

Go to a site that is known to feed viruses etc. Watch your computer die with IE because of all the backdoors, work-arounds and holes in the programming. Go with the other browsers and see less than half the problems.

Get any browser and type in what you want in the browser line and it gets what you want (and 98% of the time, faster than IE).

FF - built by users for users

Chrome - built by the company that knows the internet better than anyone else

Safari - built by a company that knows how to deliver a great computing experience

Opera - built by innovators LONG ago to be continually better than IE (success)

IE - built by a corporate conglomerate who pump things out regardless of how good they are because they're the first name in computing and therefore the average user will use their stuff just 'cause. Also the company that sends out unfinished software repeatedly.

Dunno man, it takes what, 2 seconds to show a page ???

IMO, it just reflects how people become more and more impatient as technologies improve. A few years ago, pages took 1 minutes to load and nobody was complaining. Seriously, this goes way further than FF being better than IE or another Browser. It is now more about the hundredth of second people want to save now.

Dunno man, it takes what, 2 seconds to show a page ???

IMO, it just reflects how people become more and more impatient as technologies improve. A few years ago, pages took 1 minutes to load and nobody was complaining. Seriously, this goes way further than FF being better than IE or another Browser. It is now more about the hundredth of second people want to save now.

Time is money. ;)

Yeah, I'm with Joe. Most of my computers have both Firefox and IE and I just open up whatever. Usually I stick with Firefox but some sites (e.g. mybrute) will only work for me on IE. I don't really notice a difference between any of them. For me, the more recognizable, the better.

Yeah, I'm with Joe. Most of my computers have both Firefox and IE and I just open up whatever. Usually I stick with Firefox but some sites (e.g. mybrute) will only work for me on IE. I don't really notice a difference between any of them. For me, the more recognizable, the better.

Well I know instantly which browser I'm using just by the way pages loads. For me it makes a difference. I'll often have 10+ tabs opened and I'l switch from one to the other quick. Basically, I need a computer that can keep up with me. Computers should have to wait after you, not the other way around.

BTW, my Safari experience started on the wrong foot. It wont import my bookmarks properly. I've installed the v. 4 beta, so I'll probably have to roll back to previous alpha version.

I've been part of the Firefox grassroots movement when it came out 4+ years ago, but lately I grew increasingly tired of the memory leak issues and I've been looking at finding some other browser that is clean, light yet has good functionalities. Right now I'm jumping from FF to Opera to Chrome and I'm starting to settle on Chrome but there's many things missing and as I type this i'm installing Safari just to give that one a spin.

I was wondering who here is using what and how much have you tried other browsers?

I'm not surprised by the results of the poll.

Firefox is hands down the best... but I must admit it's getting heavier to run every day (it looks that way)

I guess we came to the same conclusions.

IE: Its garbage. I cant believe some people still use it. It's like a tricycle with training wheels: you shouldnt use it past your 3rd birthday.

FF: Fine, highly extendable, but memory usage is bad. If you multitask the way I do (12 apps at the same time), you just come to hate it.

Safari: Haven't used it yet. Eager too.

Opera: Just started using it. Love it too, it's sleak, very fast loading, but buggy on certain sites.

Chrome: The one I use the most lately. Very stripped down but very fast and very light on system resources.

my bro has a mac and uses FF, but if you tell me Safari is better after having used it, ill look into it.

I'm with people who can't believe IE is still even used. I've used Firefox, like Koz, since the beginning but I use Chrome as my back-up browser and it's a nice little creation as well. Like Colin said though, it's pretty stripped. Firefox makes it for me though because of all the user made extensions and themes. Install Greasemonkey on Firefox and you really open yourself up to doing a lot of things at once, especially if you're part of a techie group of people that knows how to make amazing scripts.

Opera is the browser that Nintendo uses for its consoles and I hate it but I haven't used it on an actual PC yet.

But yeah, I'm happy with my FF/Chrome duo. I don't even have Internet Explorer installed anymore, one of the first things I uninstalled when I got my latest rig and it's one of the first things I get rid of when I set up other peoples computers as well. Horribly, messy contraption.