Jazz and Blues

goalerexpert86

Hey, this may belong in the music thread but I want other people to see it next to BTH, Maca and Jetsniper.

I have always been a fan of music in general but my favourites have always been The Doors, The Who, Bob Dylan, The Beatles etc. But recently I have been enjoying alot of jazz and blues music. I want to get some more songs on my iPod and hear the different genres of blues and jazz but I don't know where to start.

What I want is recommendation of either artists, songs or even albums. Thanks

Edited by goalerexpert86

ok. You need a ton of miles davis: at least

1) Kind of Blue

2) On the Corner

3) Black Magus

4) Bitches Brew

John Coltrane

1) Soul Trane

2) My Favorite Things

3) A Love Supreme

4) Giant Steps

Thelonious Monk

1) Straight No Chaser

2) Monk & Rollins

Modern Jazz Quartet

1) Artistry of the MJQ

2) Django

3) Blues on Bach

Dave Brubeck Quartet: Time Out

That'll be a start.

Hey, this may belong in the music thread but I want other people to see it next to BTH, Maca and Jetsniper.

I have always been a fan of music in general but my favourites have always been The Doors, The Who, Bob Dylan, The Beatles etc. But recently I have been enjoying alot of jazz and blues music. I want to get some more songs on my iPod and hear the different genres of blues and jazz but I don't know where to start.

What I want is recommendation of either artists, songs or even albums. Thanks

I would go to Shoutcast radio (I access it easily through Winamp), and sample the dozens of jazz stations they have to see what sub genre you prefer. Me, I can't stand fusion or dixieland but love african jazz and classic quartets. Narrowing jazz down to era and style is important -- consider the differences between Slipknot and Billy Joel in 'rock' for example.

That said, Simonus has a great list, and it's hard not to like Charlie Mingus, always plays with great musicians.

I would go to Shoutcast radio (I access it easily through Winamp), and sample the dozens of jazz stations they have to see what sub genre you prefer.

:clap:

That's always what I do when I want to discover new music.

Last.fm is also very useful.

I'm in the process of getting those jazz songs but what about some blues?

I do enjoy John Lee Hooker but I need some more names.

not quite my forte

Robert Johnson

Muddy Waters

Nina Simone

Billie Holiday

Bo Diddley

Also, not quite legit, but Jimi Hendrix put out a pretty fun compendium of blues song on an album called "Blues". You might enjoy that as a transitional album.

Charlie Mingus is pretty great. You might want to check out Charlie Parker.

Tell me which of those Miles Davis albums you like and I can tell you what you what else you need. Miles transcends genres.

oh, and you might like Jaco Pastorius.

not quite my forte

Robert Johnson

Muddy Waters

Nina Simone

Billie Holiday

Bo Diddley

There are actually several aspects of the Blues. The two most talked about are Traditional Delta Blues like Robert Johnson and Chicago Blues ( electric guitars) Muddy Watters, Little Walter, Howling Wolf, Buddy Guy.

And their are people who sang traditional delta blues but electified Son House, Mississippi Fred McDowell

For Blues Harmonica Sonny Boy Williamson, Sonny Terry and Little Walter

Check out the movies Crossroads. Ralph Macchio :puke: but a blistering soundtrack by Ry Cooder and Cadillac Records

For moderns check out Jonny Winter, Stevie Ray Vaughn,

Also, a lot of Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones and Eric Claptons' best stuff is derived or directly copied from Blues musicians

I had a Music Appreciation class this semester and we did a lot of jazz. There's Louis Armstrong and Montreal-based jazz pianist Oscar Peterson obviously, but you need to listen to some Herbie Hancock, Jonnie Coltrane, Miles Davis.

Very good recomendations from Simonus. :clap:

If you'd like to try some Swedish jazz then I can recommend Jan Johansson's Jazz på svenska (Jazz In Swedish) and Jazz på ryska Jazz in Russian. Also Monica Zetterlund is one of the best singers ever to come out of Sweden, she did a lot of beautiful jazz songs, with Bill Evans for example. You might not be able to understand all the lyrics, but still worth looking into if you ask me.

Tell me which of those Miles Davis albums you like and I can tell you what you what else you need. Miles transcends genres.

Not a big fan of "On The Corner" so far.

I got the "Kind of Blue (50th Anniversary Collectors Edition) and I am enjoying it.

Not a big fan of "On The Corner" so far.

I got the "Kind of Blue (50th Anniversary Collectors Edition) and I am enjoying it.

ok - you want cool bebop then. On The Corner is really experimental and a lot of jazz purists hate it. I threw it in to get a sense of where you were at. DK was absolutely right about Bill Evans. Get "Miles Smiles" by Miles David. Look at some Charlie Parker.

give a listen to stuff with Django Reinhardt.

Which of the Coltrane and Davis did you like? I guess you are looking for bebop/hard bop?

In particular these are the pieces I have really enjoyed so far.

So What - Mile Davis

Freddie Freeloader - Miles Davis

Stella by Starlight - Miles Davis

They Say It's Wonderful - John Coltrane

Resolution - John Coltrane

But Not For Me - John Coltrane

Blue Train - John Coltrane

Chasin' Another Trane - John Coltrane

If it isn't obvious I am enjoying Coltrane more then Davis so far. But I still have alot to listen to.